Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I can confirm that Ben 10 is pretty big in at least South Africa.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Some pretty good artists, including Kelly Turnbull, are involved so i'll at least wait to see some footage.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

MrSlam posted:

A young-ish grandpa Max cartoon is something I could get behind. Part MiB, Part GI Joe. Dealing with your secretive paramilitary alien taskforce while starting a family. Too bad old characters aren't marketable :(

If they go with Young-in-his-prime or Dad Max, they can also have some Kirk. Remember alien sex?

Everything is alien sex. Sex with fire. Sex with energy. Sex with-

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

They retconned that in Omniverse, no more must we contemplate how a being covered in fire and a human had a child.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ben's gotten a retcon and a reboot? He's a real superhero now.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

He's even got an alternate universe (the live-action movies)!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
I once babysat a kid who was super into Ben 10. This was around 2006 and he was like 8 and had tons of Ben 10 toys and posters covering his wall.

welp, that's my story

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

readingatwork posted:

So apparently TTG is the new show everyone is going to ruthlessly imitate for the next five years. Fantastic.

So long AT era. You were short but beautiful...
If they could all aim for the true king of the Throwback PissTake (which is to say Sonic Boom) that would be just fine by me.

Thank god that's getting a season 2.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Ramos posted:

Ben's gotten a retcon and a reboot? He's a real superhero now.

So first you got the original series, pretty consistent simple story that added more elements to it as the show went on, like magic being real, The Plumbers being a Men in Black deal that is no longer active but has bases all around, X-Men style mutants are around, an ex-Plumber being around who decided to start his own organization. Then you got Alien Force and magic isn't real it's aliens, and mutants aren't real it's aliens (such as a brand new character half human half fire alien who explicitly says his mom was a human, so...) and the plumbers aren't inactive, it's an alien organization thousands of years old and the dude that did his own organization isn't a thing it's an organization dedicated to slaying dragons who are aliens. Then it just kinda went back and forth on its own retcons until Omniverse tried streamlining stuff and for the most part did get things to be more coherent with the original series (the halfbred are humans that got altered by a shady organization, since AF introduced four of them in the first few episode and dropped the concept entirely) but yeahhh you can see why it's better to start from zero.

Omniverse also introduced several alternate universes. They all get a team-up.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

ConanThe3rd posted:

If they could all aim for the true king of the Throwback PissTake (which is to say Sonic Boom) that would be just fine by me.

Thank god that's getting a season 2.

Speaking of which,is that show any good? I've heard people telling me that either it's surprisingly funny,or unwatchable trash,like Go.I've seen a couple of clips which made me laugh,and the Flying Knuckles gag had me in stitches,so I've been thinking of giving it a shot. But I would like a Goon's stance on the show.Might help me decide,either way.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

VolticSurge posted:

Speaking of which,is that show any good? I've heard people telling me that either it's surprisingly funny,or unwatchable trash,like Go.I've seen a couple of clips which made me laugh,and the Flying Knuckles gag had me in stitches,so I've been thinking of giving it a shot. But I would like a Goon's stance on the show.Might help me decide,either way.

From what I've seen, the good stuff (usually involving Eggman or Knuckles) are like tasty fruit nuggets in a sea of bland, unflavored oatmeal

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

So first you got the original series, pretty consistent simple story that added more elements to it as the show went on, like magic being real, The Plumbers being a Men in Black deal that is no longer active but has bases all around, X-Men style mutants are around, an ex-Plumber being around who decided to start his own organization. Then you got Alien Force and magic isn't real it's aliens, and mutants aren't real it's aliens (such as a brand new character half human half fire alien who explicitly says his mom was a human, so...) and the plumbers aren't inactive, it's an alien organization thousands of years old and the dude that did his own organization isn't a thing it's an organization dedicated to slaying dragons who are aliens. Then it just kinda went back and forth on its own retcons until Omniverse tried streamlining stuff and for the most part did get things to be more coherent with the original series (the halfbred are humans that got altered by a shady organization, since AF introduced four of them in the first few episode and dropped the concept entirely) but yeahhh you can see why it's better to start from zero.

Omniverse also introduced several alternate universes. They all get a team-up.

Alls I know is, Ben had a werewolf girlfriend. Then he had a Asian girlfriend that had a alien as a pet. Then he had a frog-princess girlfriend, a four-armed muscle girlfriend, and a regular boring rear end human girlfriend all at once and they all competed for his dick in a shameless cosmic gameshow hosted by Stephen Colbert. I measure shows in girlfriends I guess. Ben 10 is a weird complicated franchise.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I'm willing to give the new show a shot, but the changes to the alien designs, and changing Max's VA are both marks against it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

NO EIDING NO WATCH

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

MrSlam posted:

Alls I know is, Ben had a werewolf girlfriend. Then he had a Asian girlfriend that had a alien as a pet. Then he had a frog-princess girlfriend, a four-armed muscle girlfriend, and a regular boring rear end human girlfriend all at once and they all competed for his dick in a shameless cosmic gameshow hosted by Stephen Colbert. I measure shows in girlfriends I guess. Ben 10 is a weird complicated franchise.

That first girlfriend was just a girl who liked when he turned into a werewolf (named Benwolf, then one day when he saw CNN and renamed him Blitzwolfer) and became the boring-rear end girlfriend you speak of later on (and their kid goes back to the past and insists he should date her), also he had a stretchy pink girlfriend.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That first girlfriend was just a girl who liked when he turned into a werewolf (named Benwolf, then one day when he saw CNN and renamed him Blitzwolfer) and became the boring-rear end girlfriend you speak of later on (and their kid goes back to the past and insists he should date her), also he had a stretchy pink girlfriend.

Alright that makes more sense. I need to brush up on my Ben10 lore. I made it a third of the way through Alien Force and then just an episode every now and then. And then the aliens started living alongside the humans which was pretty neat. And then it all started blending together.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I hope the Ben 10 reboot has my OC Del Twelve.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

NO EIDING NO WATCH

Seconded. Any idea why they're changing it or are they just recasting everybody for the new show?

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

VolticSurge posted:

The ratio of funny to not funny is certainly in favour of funny IMHO. It being in 15 minute chunks helps.

Plus it owns just how dorky the Sonic Franchise / Fandom is at the best of times ("Whoops, One too many!" is just the best) which it just refreshing in a world of TTG encouraged poo poo flinging that stopped being funny about the third time the writers acknowledged they could be doing a lot better by the material even if it was to go "Yeah this old series is stupid and everyone who liked it is stupid"

So yeah, I'd say it's worth a look at least.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jun 23, 2016

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

With a new ghostbusters movie also comes a new ghostbusters cartoon.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Oh hey, local Ghostbusters franchises, that's something they really haven't bothered to poke at much AFAIK.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It's pretty much always been New York, with the one implication of Rookie from the game running his own franchise.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
There was a Ghostbusters RPG in the 80's that had "your party is a local Ghostbusters franchise in another city" as its premise.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Pakled posted:

There was a Ghostbusters RPG in the 80's that had "your party is a local Ghostbusters franchise in another city" as its premise.

The RPG is actually really good and has aged pretty well for a game from the 80s. It's also pretty influential, as it was one of the first games to implement a dice pool system of rolls. You can get a PDF of it here and I'd love to see a reprint of it.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I hope the team is more diverse than Extreme Ghostbusters one just to piss off terrible people.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

This week's episode of Gumball felt like kid-friendly Curb. It was great, but difficult to watch the final scene.

Penny's reactions to Gumball were really cute, though.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

Waffleman_ posted:

It's pretty much always been New York, with the one implication of Rookie from the game running his own franchise.

One of the smartest things IDW has done in the latest run of Ghostbusters comics (read them, they're awesome) is make this officially canon. Rookie is managing a franchise in Chicago and still wears the "Rookie" name tag as a ploy to deal with irate customers.

There is also another minor character that is a mechanical genius that gets denied a franchise due to him not having the necessary knowledge/skills to run one. He ends up reverse engineering ghostbuster tech to create his own rival company until he ends up becoming a real Ghostbuster later on.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

I hope the team is more diverse than Extreme Ghostbusters one just to piss off terrible people.

I dunno how more diverse you get than disabled, female, and black (not that Real didn't have that one covered) before you start getting impractical ether in terms of writing or getting it past S&P.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Jun 24, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

ConanThe3rd posted:

I dunno how more diverse you get than disabled, female, and black (not that Real didn't have that one covered) before you start getting impractical ether in terms of writing or getting it past S&P.

Wasn't the disaffected Shaggy looking guy Latino as well? It was practically a Burger King's Kid's Club of diversity.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

PhazonLink posted:

I support any effort to make the loving angry video game nerd so furious over ghostbusters that blood shoots out of his nose.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

raditts posted:

I support any effort to make the loving angry video game nerd so furious over ghostbusters that blood shoots out of his nose.

I think you're super duper misinformed buddy.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MrSlam posted:

Wasn't the disaffected Shaggy looking guy Latino as well? It was practically a Burger King's Kid's Club of diversity.

He might have been. I can't even remember the last time I saw that show.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

MrSlam posted:

I think you're super duper misinformed buddy.

He did take the stance that he wasn't going to watch it, didn't he? I never bothered to check why.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

paradoxGentleman posted:

He did take the stance that he wasn't going to watch it, didn't he? I never bothered to check why.

I'm not going to go back to look at 5 minutes of his smug loving face again but basically it boiled down to

:qqsay: "I didn't like the trailer and it's not the Ghostbusters 3 I always wanted because it doesn't have any of the original characters."

At least it didn't consist of him flailing around and screaming so I guess the video's got that going for it.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

You seem weirdly bent out of shape that a guy went "I loved the original movie too much and a reboot just won't be for me." assumedly because he kept getting endless messages asking him about it.

Also the vast majority of his videos nowadays lack him flailing or screaming, the actual guy himself is a chill and nice person.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I just enjoy watching people get all caremad and purist about something as inconsequential as Ghostbusters.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
He is far less dumb than like 99% of the people refusing to see that movie but his reasons are still pretty dumb and even though it was not his intention his video refusal is now held up by the idiots that are mad about the movie as some sort of proof that they are reasonable and right

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Making a video about how you refuse to discuss a thing instead of just, you know, not discussing a thing is hilarious on a lot of levels and I'm not surprised that the kind of mental titans who have incredibly strong opinions on Ghostbusters and feeemales think that it's some kind of mic drop.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!
There's nothing more sad and lame than a nerd making a video to say why they're not going to watch/read/play something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Nobody cares what you or I think and we spout our opinion anyway, but when you have the whole internet bearing down on you asking "Why didn't you do a video on X? What do you think of X? The first X was your favorite movie what do you think of the latest X" it's a lot simpler to make one basic catch-all comment about it. To my knowledge he hasn't acknowledged the new movie since the Part 2 video where he talks about the history of Ghostbusters 3's weird nebulous non-production (and even then only briefly) and doesn't acknowledge at all the hornet's nest he stirred or the people who called him a filthy misogynist/true American hero.

Everyone assumes he was a big neckbeardy baby pooping in his diaper about it but he's taken the high road and let everyone around him poo poo their pants in anger/admiration.