Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Cat Hatter posted:

I have that kit and am very pleased with it.

Awesome, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In case anyone hasn't seen the Tools In Action videos about it, looks like Milwaukee is finally joining the outdoor power equipment category with bigger M18 batteries and some tools including a leaf blower and a string trimmer.

I could easily see replacing my leaf blower - the Toro I have moves a shitload of air but I hate dragging a power cord and the "speed control" is a knob that requires the other hand to operate. The Milwaukee at least seems to have an actual throttle but I could be wrong.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Depends on what you're doing. I don't think any of the 18v blowers can do much if you're dealing with a lot of leaves. But on the other hand my ryobi one is great for cleaning porch and driveway.

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
I got an Ego 56v string trimmer, and boy am I glad my old 2t trimmer died. Not really, but this thing is awesome.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

IOwnCalculus posted:

In case anyone hasn't seen the Tools In Action videos about it, looks like Milwaukee is finally joining the outdoor power equipment category with bigger M18 batteries and some tools including a leaf blower and a string trimmer.

I could easily see replacing my leaf blower - the Toro I have moves a shitload of air but I hate dragging a power cord and the "speed control" is a knob that requires the other hand to operate. The Milwaukee at least seems to have an actual throttle but I could be wrong.

The really cool new poo poo from Milwaukee is the giant 6ah M12 battery (and enormous 9ah M18 of course). Along with the neato 10" M18 compound miter.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
A coworker gas a Hobart 135 and a Rolair air compressor shes looking to sell. The compressor is free standing (60ish gallon) with 5hp 230volt motor. Any idea what would be a fair offer? I was thinking $200 each?

Im still iffy on battery tools. We bought a m18 fuel grinder to test the other week and got less than 10min of grinding to a 4Ah battery. (by iffy, i mean iffy on something that I dont think should be battery because of the shear amount of power they use)

Sadi fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 15, 2016

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Both would fetch $300-400 each around here.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Sadi posted:

A coworker gas a Hobart 135 and a Rolair air compressor shes looking to sell. The compressor is free standing (60ish gallon) with 5hp 230volt motor. Any idea what would be a fair offer? I was thinking $200 each?

Im still iffy on battery tools. We bought a m18 fuel grinder to test the other week and got less than 10min of grinding to a 4Ah battery. (by iffy, i mean iffy on something that I dont think should be battery because of the shear amount of power they use)

The Hobart is $150 tops, unless it has a legal tank or loads of useful accessories. If its an old model, they like to blow control boards, and I'd skip it. $250 for the compressor wouldn't be a bad deal, $200 is really good. I didn't think twice about dropping $500 on my 5hp 80 gallon CH.

Cordless grinders are best used with cutoff wheels for thin stuff, not actual grinding. I use mine regularly for closet maid shelving, unistrut, closet rods, chain, and as a universal lockpick on rusted locks. If I need to grind a bunch of welds, I'm grabbing my extension cords, Makita 4" with a flap disc, and my 6" Milwaukee with a Heleta wheel on it.

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 15, 2016

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I saw a pair of the old style Rhino Ramps at Goodwill. I have nowhere to keep them but I feel like I should own a spare set anyway.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
I am tasked with finding the right hand tools for a techshop/fablab style place that will be used 95% by engineers of some flavor. The budget for the place is fairly small but I will need a basic mechanics set of ratchets/wrenches/etc. Snap-On seems like more money than value to me, but craftsman and harbor freight a bit too low in regard to quality. Can't buy used.

What is the preferred hand tool maker for good value and good quality these days? SK? Kobalt?

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 20, 2016

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

CarForumPoster posted:

I am tasked with finding the right hand tools for a techshop/fablab style place that will be used 95% by engineers of some flavor. The budget for the place is fairly small but I will need a basic mechanics set of ratchets/wrenches/etc. Snap-On seems like more money than value to me, but craftsman and harbor freight a bit too low in regard to quality. Can't buy used.

What is the preferred hand tool maker for good value and good quality these days? SK? Kobalt?

Grey pneumatic is a good price and very good quality. As for wrenches gear wrench is not too expensive and a quality wrench.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

CarForumPoster posted:

Head over to Garage Journal and start reading. There are tons of great tools out there and you can mix and match as needed.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

The guy who runs the ChrisFix Youtube channel has lots to say about Sonic tools (because they gave him a ton of free poo poo, obviously). Have any of you had experience with them?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Safety Dance posted:

The guy who runs the ChrisFix Youtube channel has lots to say about Sonic tools (because they gave him a ton of free poo poo, obviously). Have any of you had experience with them?

Speaking of tool brands and ChrisFix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCOgrIPFxIY

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
All I know of the guy is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-F0PIF8Hqo
After that video I can only assume he has no idea what he is doing. He mounted some shitass chinalights to the bottom of the bumper, he doesn't meassure any placements and then he puts sideways lights on the back...

Raerlynn
Oct 28, 2007

Sorry I'm late, I'm afraid I got lost on the path of life.

SEKCobra posted:

All I know of the guy is this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-F0PIF8Hqo
After that video I can only assume he has no idea what he is doing. He mounted some shitass chinalights to the bottom of the bumper, he doesn't meassure any placements and then he puts sideways lights on the back...

His other videos are actually really helpful, especially to someone who thinks auto repair is some impenetrable black art.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Heeyyy guyyyyyyssssss, Chrisfix heeeereeeeeee...

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Some Japanese tools from my recent trip.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

the spyder posted:

I want those long red-handled pliers.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

CarForumPoster posted:

Snap-On probably isn't the way to go for "outfitting a shop on a limited budget", but this is a way wrong statement. Every Snap-On tool I own is "Worth It™" better than any other tool I've owned.

There certainly are other good tools out there, and scenarios where they're not the way to go, but they absolutely are value for the money.

the spyder posted:

What kind of stuff are we looking at here? I'm always curious to find other brands to love. Are these "hey cool they're japanese and cheap why not" or "holy poo poo they need to import these" type of things?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Krakkles posted:

Snap-On probably isn't the way to go for "outfitting a shop on a limited budget", but this is a way wrong statement. Every Snap-On tool I own is "Worth It™" better than any other tool I've owned.

Snap-On is only worth it if a tool truck stops by your workplace on the regular. If not, it seems like you're paying huge money for a warranty you can't use, no?

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Safety Dance posted:

Snap-On is only worth it if a tool truck stops by your workplace on the regular. If not, it seems like you're paying huge money for a warranty you can't use, no?

You can warranty stuff online. I even snagged a cheap used snap-on tool chest with thrashed drawer slides and after inquiring about the warranty they had new slides at my doorstep in three days.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Safety Dance posted:

No. You can use the warranty without having a tool truck stopping by, although it may be harder.

However, Snap On tools in many (maybe "most") cases are considerably better than their competition. Try a ratchet, or for real fun, a 2 foot breaker bar ratchet. They're stronger, work better, and help you get work done easier and faster.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Guy at work was a former mechanic and has Snap On stuff instead of the Craftsman stuff in the rest of the shop. Like for like on stuff like ratchets, the action seems better, a bit better finished, finer teeth, and the wrenches are a bit smaller... and from the warranty they do, I'll assume just as strong. So basically just a bit better in every way.

I wouldn't pay Snap On premium for everything, but I can definitely see the benefit to cherry picking some of their stuff. Whether "better" is worth it over "good enough" is up to you, y'know?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

mekilljoydammit posted:

Guy at work was a former mechanic and has Snap On stuff instead of the Craftsman stuff in the rest of the shop. Like for like on stuff like ratchets, the action seems better, a bit better finished, finer teeth, and the wrenches are a bit smaller... and from the warranty they do, I'll assume just as strong. So basically just a bit better in every way.

I wouldn't pay Snap On premium for everything, but I can definitely see the benefit to cherry picking some of their stuff. Whether "better" is worth it over "good enough" is up to you, y'know?
I agree with this completely. And I can vouch for the "strong" part - I've broken a lot of ratchets over the years, and I abuse my Snap-Ons far worse than any before - I've yet to break one. It's really the point behind my mention of the 2 foot breaker / ratchet - I've had a 350lb guy stomp on mine with a pipe over the end to get something "gudentight" and it still works like new. (This is something I'd previously had a dedicated breaker bar for, which broke under less strenuous but otherwise similar conditions.)

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I've had amazing luck with the HF extendable ratchets, which shocked me. I found the 1/4 - 3/8 double-faced one lying in a mud hole in a junkyard, ratchet mechanism jammed and slider handle seized solid, and after a bath in WD40 and ATF, it's been my default ratchet for the last two or three years. Haven't even had to warranty it and I've done some really mean things to it.

The 1/2 equivalent they have works great as well, I haven't broken the ratchet or the slide but did break the back half of the plastic handle off since it doesn't have a metal shank going back that far. They happily replaced it and I now know not to use a deadblow hammer on the very back of the handle, gotta use it on the closer-in end of the grip :haw:

This all after murdering Craftsman ratchets half a dozen times a year and Husky ratchets every time I tried to use them. I gave up on the Huskys and now use them as mortar pointing tools, though they've changed the design since then so I might try returning them again for another shot.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

meatpimp posted:

I want those long red-handled pliers.

Yeah those look awesome for reaching into tightly packed japanese car engine bays.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Krakkles posted:

What kind of stuff are we looking at here? I'm always curious to find other brands to love. Are these "hey cool they're japanese and cheap why not" or "holy poo poo they need to import these" type of things?

I'm glad you asked! Haha. These are all readily available from frankstools.com and Amazon. It's a mix of "hey that's neat" and "holy poo poo I need this now". I only saved ~20% or so buying direct.

First up are definitely a AI "holy poo poo I need this" tool. These are Engineer Neji-Saurus PZ-58 and PZ-59 damaged screw pliers, along with a pair of Engineer Shears.
https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PZ-58-Screw-Pliers-GT/
https://www.amazon.com/Engineer-PH-51-Combination-Scissors
Check out this awesome ad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOtyXTG-PX4

Next up: Silky Gomboy folding pruning saw. It's razor sharp and has a great handle/locking mechanism.
https://www.amazon.com/Silky-Folding-Landscaping-GOMBOY-121-24

The following pliers are from IPS. The purple handle set has non-marking jaws for working with metal rod and tightening chrome plumbing joints. They were $10/$16. The red long-reach set was just shy of $32.

This OLFA knife and blades were $5!

These are Amon offset wrenches I found at Up Garage, no COO and the label shows them being used on oil drains. Also pictured a no-name slim 21mm/19mm combo and 8mm/10mm offset from KTC.

Here's a neat one. 1/4 to 3/8 ratchet adaptor for using my spark plug socket on one of my smaller 1/4" drive ratchets.

This was my one impulse buy. This is a Koken 1/4" drive socket set. It was on clearance from $160 and I did not need it, but it was so well made I couldn't help myself. Haha.

There's several more things I wanted to buy, but for now I'll just wait for a 5% off coupon to Franks and watch Amazon.

the spyder fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jun 21, 2016

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I've actually managed to wear my Nejisaurus down a bit and might have to replace it soonish. Still worth it.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
Those non-mar lockjaws are sick-nasty. Need some.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
I've determine that the video shared about the sweet pliers was better in Japanese. https://youtu.be/g-Q2NBNmlV4

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Time for a fun one... guys, unless you need it Right loving Now, don't bother buying the HF 8 ton hydraulic cable crimper I've been pimping for the last couple years. There's a bigger badass in town and it's within a few bucks of the same price. Here's a 16 ton version, which goes from (allegedly, per die markings... same rules apply as the HF one, use the one that seems right) 16mm2 crimped area to 300mm2 crimped area. Yeah, 300 square millimeters. That's Big.

I needed to crimp some very large (by most people's standards, including mine) cable terminals at work. I used this as an excuse to buy this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EA6GU9U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Ignore the fact that the pictures are of one in a different blowmold case with a YQK-300 catalog number, they're the same poo poo, I ended up borrowing a friend's because mine didn't arrive in time. Visually identical except mine claims 16 tons and costs 50 bucks while his claims 12 tons and costs 200, except he actually paid around 50 on amazon so I'm 99.99% sure they're the same thing in a slightly different blowmold case.

The chinesium plastic blowmold case.

Looks about right. Look at all those dies!

I crimped some big poo poo with it. $16 each 350mcm (177mm2 for SI/ISO fans) ring lugs, $8 a foot 350mcm neoprene insulated high-strand-count welding cable. Good to 552 amps constant load. For a sense of scale the lugs are all bolted down with 3/8", 5/16", and M8 hardware in this picture.

By chance I hosed up one crimp (put the wrong terminal on) and ended up using the bridgeport and a pair of visegrips to remove the lug so I could recrimp it with the right lug without shortening the cable. So I got a chance to check how well the crimper was compressing the lug and cable together. Looks pretty good to me, if I was drawing the rated current constantly I'd probably do two crimps per lug instead of just one.

In this case (Tyco Electronics 322257 300-350mcm lugs, 3432 strand Carolprene 350mcm welding cable) I ended up having to use the 300mm2 die then the 240mm2 die to get a satisfactory crimp. Hydraulics work great, die labeling is as usual hit or miss, mostly miss.

Echotic
Oct 20, 2013

the spyder posted:

First up are definitely a AI "holy poo poo I need this" tool. These are Engineer Neji-Saurus PZ-58 and PZ-59 damaged screw pliers, along with a pair of Engineer Shears.

This was my one impulse buy. This is a Koken 1/4" drive socket set. It was on clearance from $160 and I did not need it, but it was so well made I couldn't help myself. Haha.

I will vouch for Engineer, we used Engineer side cutters and needle nose pliers at my last job making wire harnesses.

As for Koken, I have beat the ever loving poo poo out of my 1/4" ratchet and it's still going strong. I have a full set of 1/4" and 1/2" that have never let me down.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

the spyder posted:

Quoting myself because I completely skipped over the Fujiya snips in the upper right. The quality is just amazing. Total impulse buy though.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

the spyder posted:

poo poo I was just there too. I didn't get quite the haul you did but I'll post up some pictures later. Where did you go shopping?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It looks like, if you want a crapload of Stanley/DeWalt/Porter Cable/Proto tools, all you have to do is ask nicely and be an established 501(c)3 not-for-profit

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Disassembling that box in the back does not count as opening it.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

It's a creeper. I keep telling folks that the loading dock is all cracked and broken and the creeper will be more trouble than it's worth, but that's a lesson they need to learn for themselves.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Safety Dance posted:

It looks like, if you want a crapload of Stanley/DeWalt/Porter Cable/Proto tools, all you have to do is ask nicely and be an established 501(c)3 not-for-profit

Even if all the non profit does is health research?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Safety Dance posted:

It's a creeper. I keep telling folks that the loading dock is all cracked and broken and the creeper will be more trouble than it's worth, but that's a lesson they need to learn for themselves.

Just wait till they find out that a creeper will get stopped in its tracks by a single penny on the ground or a chunk of rust, but will readily roll right over (and then get tangled in) long hair if you're absentminded enough to let it.