Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I don't think it was your recording, the graphical and audio in the Genesis version are just really bad.
I say this as someone who actually loved Mega Bomberman as a kid

Yes the audio was pretty bad with the fart volcano of World 2, that was totally not your fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

FinalGamer posted:

I say this as someone who actually loved Mega Bomberman as a kid

Yes the audio was pretty bad with the fart volcano of World 2, that was totally not your fault.

Everything resembling an explosion or lava on the Mega Drive usually sounded like a fart.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

ThornBrain posted:

Thanks to Heavy Sigh and SorataYuy for helping me get this LP done! Hopefully SB4 and 5 shouldn't also take half a year to be commentated.

Glad to be part of it! Let me know if you need a voice again, Bomberman's a fun game to chat about.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I always forget there are so many Bomberman titles, and then get depressed that 30-something games still isn't enough for me.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Quick update to let everyone know that ElTipejoLoco has graciously taken on recording Bomberman 64: The Second Attack for us. The LP will be going differently than previous LPs in the megathread, as you guys will be asked to vote on a couple things after each part, and the LP will be updated weekly rather than over the course of one single week. No ETA just yet on when the first part will be ready, but it'll be up on a Monday when it is.

Also, GamesAreSupernice, thought any more about doing PSP Bomberman?

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 4, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ThornBrain posted:

Quick update to let everyone know that ElTipejoLoco has graciously taken on recording Bomberman 64: The Second Attack for us. The LP will be going differently than previous LPs in the megathread, as you guys will be asked to vote on a couple things after each part, and the LP will be updated weekly rather than over the course of one single week. No ETA just yet on when the first part will be ready, but it'll be up on a Monday when it is.

Also, GamesAreSupernice, thought any more about doing PSP Bomberman?

I'm my footage with the commentary is dead. I tried to remake it but it's probably best to know when to cut my losses.

Regardless, here is the longplay I did back when I first tried to take on the project. Godspeed to anyone else who tries to make commentary for the drat thing.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Hey I'll be glad just to hear you guys comment over anything so thanks a lot GamesAreSupernice for helping on that, you're the best. :)

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Very happy to be seeing The Second Attack. Bomberman doesn't have too many A list titles in 3D, but I consider it one of the best just for what it is. A lot more happens than in the previous game.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Alright, great to hear about Second Attack. One of my favorite guilty pleasure games.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
Bomberman 64: The Second Attack! is the ambitious sequel to Bomberman 64, (completely ignoring Bomberman Hero), which takes Bomberman into a mythological Space Opera loaded with spy movie music and reams of dialogue. He also has a cute catbunny sidekick who you stuff piles of food into. Maybe not so special now, but for the time it was an odd Bomberman game.
Gameplay picks up where 64 left off with some changes: standard bomb blasts are back to the grid pattern, there are multiple elemental bombs Bomberman can swipe from bosses a'la Mega Man, a shop with upgrades and extras, and the aforementioned sidekick Pommy. It's not the most well-built game out there though - there are multiple reasons I (Thorn) am not playing it myself - but like the first Bomberman 64, it incites a strong nostalgic response from those who remember it.

The story is such:
Bomberman finds an egg shortly after his victory in Bomberman 64, and he takes it with him on his next adventure... right into an artificial black hole. Bomberman is imprisoned by baddies in the black hole, until the egg hatches and turns out to be Pommy: useless asshat extraordinaire. Pommy helps Bomberman escape, and together they learn that evil anime man Rukifellth is gathering the Elemental Crystals for heinous purposes, with the help of his elemental rogues gallery the Astral Knights. It's up to Bomberman and maybe eventually Pommy to defeat the Astral Knights, retrieve the Elemental Crystals, and put a stop to Rukifellth's evil laughter and eye-covering hair

---The LP---
ElTipejoLoco takes the gameplay reigns for this LP; I (ThornBrain) take passenger seat along with SorataYuy (Parts 1 - 3) and Highwang (Parts 4 - 8). The LP was updated every Monday with folks in the thread able to vote until Wednesday on which planet we tackled next, as well as Pommy's evolutionary direction at the start of the LP.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Interesting facts about Neverland and the bonus video, in no particular order:
  • A lot of the bosses' moves had much more ridiculous names. Heck, they even had slightly more ridiculous titles prior to localization:
    • Baelfael's title was apparently Crimson Lotus Flame instead of just The Crimson Flame.
      • Fire Punch was formerly Flame Blow.
      • Flame Wave was formerly Fire Wave.
    • Behemos's title was apparently Governor of the Frozen Spring instead of Lord of the Frozen Wastes.
      • Ice Ball was formerly Ice Shot.
      • Ice Storm was formerly Ice Dust.
      • Ice Crusher was formerly just Ice Crush.
    • Ashtarth's title was apparently King of the Wild Wind instead of Lord of the Wind.
      • Tornado was formerly Death Scream. :allears:
      • Typhoon was formerly Fear Hurricane. :allears:
      • Zephyr was formerly Stride Move. :magical:
  • Baelfael, Behemos, and Ashtarth all had Instant Knock Out/One-Hit K.O. attacks (that glowing thing Zhael did before dashing towards you in Episode 4) that were apparently removed for the game's international release. There's a video of someone playing the Japanese release on emulator out there showing all of those off, but since it contains spoilers, here's tiny gifs of the removed ones only instead:
    • Baelfael's Hellfire
    • Behemos's Ice Requiem (the only OHKO with an aura that doesn't involve rushing at you!)
    • Ashtarth's Rave the Shadow :allears:
    No, I have no idea why Ashtarth's move names are so ridiculous and ill-fitting, but I love it. He must've been a much more different character in the original release, dialogue-wise.
    I also find it neat that whoever uploaded the video I got these from appears to also be a Mexican gamer. :shobon:
  • I discovered what the jingle after destroying the 2 second-floor flamethrowers in Neverland triggered; It opened up a room west of the first rooms that contains the earliest available Remote Bomb Power-Up of the stage. Footage has been recorded and will probably show up as another bonus video once next update rolls around.
  • It looks like there's no Carry Bomb/Blue Glove Power-Up in Neverland. Buying the Full Power item from the shop (1,000 coins) or having the Guardian Sleeves appears to be the only way to get that one bomb-staircase Custom Part in the stage.
  • You can save yourself some time backtracking through the stage (unless you care about Custom Parts) by bouncing yourself onto a lever and using Wind Bombs to reach a caged off-switch, and then getting Bomberman to die so you can restart the stage from the landing pad. It'll probably be in the future bonus video.
  • Animal-type Pommy's tail wags like crazy during its idle animation. Have some gifs of that:

(By Loco)

(By TheFattestPat)

(By RasterPunk)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Sep 7, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---The Game---
Super Bomberman 4 is the 1996 sequel to Super Bomberman 3 and the first of the final two Supers to only be released in Japan. It's a shame, because the game has some creative design decisions underneath the same old gameplay: some enemies can be defeated and turned into eggs, at which point Bomberman can hop onto them and use them as mounts; some enemies give bomb powerups while others have their own attacks. If enemies are within one of the same two types (organic or mechanical), the player can carry two more with them as backup in case their current mount gets destroyed. The music is also some of the weirdest in the series. However it's also incredibly short; not even an hour if you're good. Worth a run through, though.

The story is such:
(Copied from Wikipedia, 'cause I didn't gather this at all)
After pursuing and eventually destroying Bagular, White Bomber enjoyed a moment of rest with Black Bomber and his friends while returning home on a space shuttle. All passengers are unaware that four lights approach the shuttle, and they eventually collide with the ship. This creates a time hole in space that transports White and Black Bomber to the prehistoric age. There, White Bomber meets Great Bomber, who following the late Bagular's will, is leading the Four Bomber Kings on an operation through time to capture him and his friends. White Bomber and Black Bomber must battle through time to foil Bagular's plan.

---The LP---
Like with before, this is a quick run through of the game, even quicker than previous due to the game's incredibly short length. I am joined for this one by SorataYuy and ElTipejoLoco.

:siren:List of Bonus Stages:siren:

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 5, 2016

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
So just for clarity, these are the two Bomberman LPs started today:

Bomberman 64: The Second Attack!

Super Bomberman 4

Second Attack will be weekly, and we want you folks to vote on which planet we go to next (Ocean Planet Aquanet or Sky Planet Horizon) and what foods we feed to Pommy (Fruits, meats or sweets. There's a guide on GameFAQs for Pommy's evolutionary tree if you want to look at it first). You have until Wednesday to get your votes in!

SB4 will go up every other day, and it'll be the fastest of the Supers.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
Relaxing on the beaches of Ocean Planet Aquanet and eating sweets, I says.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Get it? His name is Beelzebub.

Lord of the Flies.

Voting for the Sky Planet Horizon.

RasterPunk fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jun 20, 2016

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
Ocean Planet Aquanet and meat.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
Ocean Planet Aquanet and sweets for me.

So the bomber boss of the first Super Bomberman 4 world is Hammer Bomber of the Four Bomber Kings. What's notable about these guys is that they inspired the Crush Bombers from Generations, with Hammer Bomber serving as the basis for Megaton Bomber.

The main boss of the world is a giant Dogu, clay figures made by Japan's original native people during the Jomon period, which works well enough with the prehistoric setting. It also contrasts nicely against the minor Haniwa enemies which were made later by the modern Yamato Japanese.

Dresh fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jun 22, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!
Ice Guy was introduced first in the villain lineup, so I'm gonna say Ocean Planet Aquanet. As for Pommy, sweets.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy
I'll vote for Sky Planet Horizon and fruits.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Unless those whirlpools in SB4 are teleports, maybe you can throw bombs into them.

Sky Planet Horizon and meat.

I think some people pronounce Baal as something to Behl.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Jun 21, 2016

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

Santa Cat Says: Good deeds are the things to always do, just make sure someone is watching you
Let's go for the Sky Planet and feed Pommy lots of Sweets.

And I bet Pommy painted the ship using his rocket boots!

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

TheFattestPat posted:

Let's go for the Sky Planet and feed Pommy lots of Sweets.

And I bet Pommy painted the ship using his rocket boots!

It begins.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
Hey peeps, just checking in for those of you who have voted thus far:

There's actually sort of 4 options at the moment for what Pommy's next evolution should be. Or rather, 3 of those choices lead to evolution, and one of them leads nowhere- deliberately stunting Pommy's growth.

See, Pommy's base form has one characteristic that none of his evolutions do. It's not useful for gameplay at all, but it's there: Only basic Pommy's face portraits include a smug expression. Apparently, Pommy loses the ability to show conceit on his face when evolving in any way.

So I have to double check with those of you who are voting for sweets right now: Do you want Pommy to evolve and learn something other than headbutting or do you want to avoid evolution to check how many times in dialogue he displays a smug face? I myself don't know, as I've never deliberately tried avoiding food. For all I know we'll find that his smug face actually doesn't show up outside of Alcatraz.

At the moment, trying to only mainline sweets will probably send Pommy down the Veggie-volution path unless I go back and collect enough meat to balance him out (2 hams and 2 shishkebabs should do it, I think? Different food items seem to have different values). The game only really uses sweets as a determinant for two evolutions, and those won't be available to us until later on down either the meat or veggie paths. Still, we can see what "almost enough sugar but not quite enough to evolve Pommy" does to a basic Pommy's walking speed and headbutt rate. Getting tons of sweets before that part will just move Pommy forward amongst either the veggie or meat paths- whichever he's eaten more of before he develops an insulin deficiency.

Anyway, I suppose this tidbit only really matters if sweets is still in the lead by Wednesday. If there's a sudden influx of meat and veggie votes, it'll be a moot point. Just one more thing to point out: As you've probably noticed, sweets are actually pretty darn rare. Even during the backtracking Thorn opted to edit out, I only really found more meat and veggies (items you didn't see: a pair of grilled weiners, and a cooked ham still on its bone). So if sweets wins, I'll probably spend a relatively longer period of time grinding for cakes than I would if either meat or veggies won. Granted, you probably won't see or experience any of that.

Pommy's current diet (as far as Loco understands it):
  • 71 points' worth of Veggies (1 apple, 5 banana bunches, 2 grape bunches, 3 grapefruits)
  • 51 points' worth of Meats (4 shishkebabs, 1 pair of grilled sausages, 6 chicken drumsticks, 2 hams)
  • 1 point's worth of Sweets (1 pair of wrapped candies)

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

Turns out his name in the manual is ポミュ "Pom-yu." Must be why he says "Myu" a lot. I prefer Pommy.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

RasterPunk posted:

Turns out his name in the manual is ポミュ "Pom-yu." Must be why he says "Myu" a lot. I prefer Pommy.

Ooooooh that would also explain why in Bomberman Generations Pommy pronounced its name "Pom-yu" and Pommy Dragon was "Pom-yu-do-dragon"

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

dijon du jour posted:

Ooooooh that would also explain why in Bomberman Generations Pommy pronounced its name "Pom-yu" and Pommy Dragon was "Pom-yu-do-dragon"

Tried translating the name and I think it's a pun.

ポンユー (pon-yu) is close to ポミユ (po-mi-yu); Po-mi-yu isn't a word, but Pon-yu is.

ポンユー translates as (朋友; Friend, Companion); it's a loan word from Chinese.
Here's a source on the word: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%9D%E3%83%B3%E3%83%A6%E3%83%BC
Is a word in Japan, which can be classified into foreign language, Chinese, which means "friend-friend" is etymology. In conversation until the Showa period the first half around a word that is often used as "it is my'm Pon'yu" and the like. But in recent years it does not lead only to the elderly.

He is literally your buddy in name.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

e: Fixed a bit at the end. Forgot to clip the still images, so there was a weird minute-long silence.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jun 22, 2016

Derek Barona
Dec 8, 2009

WHO'S YOUR FRIEND?!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Hey peeps, just checking in for those of you who have voted thus far:

There's actually sort of 4 options at the moment for what Pommy's next evolution should be. Or rather, 3 of those choices lead to evolution, and one of them leads nowhere- deliberately stunting Pommy's growth.

See, Pommy's base form has one characteristic that none of his evolutions do. It's not useful for gameplay at all, but it's there: Only basic Pommy's face portraits include a smug expression. Apparently, Pommy loses the ability to show conceit on his face when evolving in any way.

So I have to double check with those of you who are voting for sweets right now: Do you want Pommy to evolve and learn something other than headbutting or do you want to avoid evolution to check how many times in dialogue he displays a smug face? I myself don't know, as I've never deliberately tried avoiding food. For all I know we'll find that his smug face actually doesn't show up outside of Alcatraz.

At the moment, trying to only mainline sweets will probably send Pommy down the Veggie-volution path unless I go back and collect enough meat to balance him out (2 hams and 2 shishkebabs should do it, I think? Different food items seem to have different values). The game only really uses sweets as a determinant for two evolutions, and those won't be available to us until later on down either the meat or veggie paths. Still, we can see what "almost enough sugar but not quite enough to evolve Pommy" does to a basic Pommy's walking speed and headbutt rate. Getting tons of sweets before that part will just move Pommy forward amongst either the veggie or meat paths- whichever he's eaten more of before he develops an insulin deficiency.

Anyway, I suppose this tidbit only really matters if sweets is still in the lead by Wednesday. If there's a sudden influx of meat and veggie votes, it'll be a moot point. Just one more thing to point out: As you've probably noticed, sweets are actually pretty darn rare. Even during the backtracking Thorn opted to edit out, I only really found more meat and veggies (items you didn't see: a pair of grilled weiners, and a cooked ham still on its bone). So if sweets wins, I'll probably spend a relatively longer period of time grinding for cakes than I would if either meat or veggies won. Granted, you probably won't see or experience any of that.

Pommy's current diet (as far as Loco understands it):
  • 71 points' worth of Veggies (1 apple, 5 banana bunches, 2 grape bunches, 3 grapefruits)
  • 51 points' worth of Meats (4 shishkebabs, 1 pair of grilled sausages, 6 chicken drumsticks, 2 hams)
  • 1 point's worth of Sweets (1 pair of wrapped candies)

In light of this information, I am changing my vote to Maximum Smugness.

It's just not a Bomberman game if the partner character isn't the most useless smug rear end in a top hat he can be.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Sky Planet and Fruits

Going Fruit to Meat gives you the best final Pommy options.

TheFattestPat
Dec 28, 2012

I will also change my vote to smug pommy. I wouldn't want him any other way.

Reimou
Jan 20, 2015
I didn't care originally, but now I want Pommy to stay in his base form.

To be perfectly frank, Pommy never actually gets useful. Even his "secret" forms never did it for me.

Do note that even if Pommy evolves, the shop sells an item that can devolve him.

Also, go to Sky Planet Horizon. I don't think there's any water to freeze in Horizon, but I have distinct memories of ledges to fly across in Aquanet. Do whichever one is more route-optimal if I'm remembering incorrectly.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Looks like Horizon beats Aquanet 6-4. Good luck, Loco, it's the level that made me quit!

It's up to Loco if voting stays open for Pommy, but it's looking like unevolved smugness is in the lead with 3, while Fruits and Sweets are tied with 2.

RasterPunk
Aug 24, 2015

ThornBrain posted:

Looks like Horizon beats Aquanet 6-4. Good luck, Loco, it's the level that made me quit!

It's up to Loco if voting stays open for Pommy, but it's looking like unevolved smugness is in the lead with 3, while Fruits and Sweets are tied with 2.

Add me to leaving Pommy unevolved; I honestly prefer him the way he is.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.
I was actually gonna ask if we were waiting until the end of Wednesday or the start of it to close voting, but it looks pretty clear cut at the mo'! I'mma set up and probably get to recording shortly.

Re: Pommy- I think I can do something like make a third save file and dedicate that to just grinding out Pommy-volution footage if people are into that as bonus content that can be posted either as a big ol' vid (the 2016 Pommy Fashion Show) either after the run's over or concurrently with updates.

There's an alternative option to me working on a different save file, but it won't show off any of the unique abilities each form has if I take it: The title screen can show all of Pommy's forms after you've beaten the game once.

If I recall my dumb boyhood correctly: I'm pretty sure I went nuts and actually had Pommy fully evolved using a couple of rooms in Alcatraz and a spot in Horizon that spawned 2 cakes at a pretty consistent rate. Why? Because Pommy has a form that can drop hearts and I wanted it.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I just want a devil or cat Pommy...

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Re: Pommy- I think I can do something like make a third save file and dedicate that to just grinding out Pommy-volution footage if people are into that as bonus content that can be posted either as a big ol' vid (the 2016 Pommy Fashion Show) either after the run's over or concurrently with updates.

While I would really enjoy that, asking you to do that seems really mean.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Yes, we're actually bombing a city.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Reimou posted:

I didn't care originally, but now I want Pommy to stay in his base form.

To be perfectly frank, Pommy never actually gets useful. Even his "secret" forms never did it for me.

Do note that even if Pommy evolves, the shop sells an item that can devolve him.

Also, go to Sky Planet Horizon. I don't think there's any water to freeze in Horizon, but I have distinct memories of ledges to fly across in Aquanet. Do whichever one is more route-optimal if I'm remembering incorrectly.

His other forms are useful for co-op. Player 2 gets to play as him. He technically has infinite health and can start to help out, though not against bosses.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
According to Gamefaqs the blue circle tiles are portals to a bonus stage, but there's no described way of how to actually get to them.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
They're a 2 player mode thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Quoting a Youtube comment,

Carrick Gear posted:

just looked it up (there's actually a bomberman wiki) apparently those gate only work in 2 player mode and lead to bonus stages. apparently you need to throw the other player into that thing.

• Locked thread