Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

stevewm posted:

This shouldn't need to exist....
Yeah, with SSD speeds these days, the tool might as well just initiate a reboot. Shouldn't take longer than a minute!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
I like that Microsoft managed to gently caress up 10 so badly, that a loving iconic feature of Windows, the start menu, is broken enough to need a dedicated troubleshooter. It's been working fine since Windows 95. The most you ever had to do was restart explorer.exe.

Did they fire all the good developers or what?

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

MS did fire their Windows QA team a while ago. That might've done it.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005
I owe my brother big time for this!

Last Chance posted:

This plus management hell, I bet.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

xamphear posted:

Yeah, with SSD speeds these days, the tool might as well just initiate a reboot. Shouldn't take longer than a minute!

Hell, they could just have the OS restart on it's own every so often to make sure. oh..

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction
New fast ring build today. Recently relevant itc:

quote:

We fixed an issue where a focus box was sometimes visible when launching the Start menu, resulting in type to search not working.

Guess I was right when I said

Factor Mystic posted:

The next time you hit start and type and nothing happens, pause and observe the situation. Is there an accessibility focus rectangle present? I have noticed this a couple times (outline around hamburger menu, for instance). In this case, keyboard input isn't going to search, it's going to the accessibility system. Clicking into empty space on the tiles area typically puts keyboard focus back into it so you can type and search.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

http://betanews.com/2016/06/22/windows-10-insider-preview-build-14371/

New build details. Included is an "Activation Troubleshooter" that will fix activation issues if you replace hardware.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

GreenNight posted:

http://betanews.com/2016/06/22/windows-10-insider-preview-build-14371/

New build details. Included is an "Activation Troubleshooter" that will fix activation issues if you replace hardware.

"You’ll also be able to link a Microsoft account (MSA) to the activation digital license starting with this build."

Cool.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Slow ring updated to "14366.rs1_release.160610-1700" I'm assuming some time after the 10th.

"Surprise! This reboot is actually going to take 30 minutes!"

Oh well, works fine.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

We're moving to Windows 10 laptops at work that I'll need to set up, and while I can probably get the start menu amended by our IT department for future OS images, it would be a massive time saver for now if I can manually customise the start menu to a standard template without having to delete or add every individual tile, is that possible? Is there a file or folder that I can just copy over?

Here's another fun thing to deal with - the Start Menu layout doesn't roam by design.

Also there doesn't appear to be any policy to change the default homepage and search provider in Edge.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Factor Mystic posted:

New fast ring build today. Recently relevant itc:

Guess I was right when I said

I wonder if they fixed calc.exe, too. I've had issues alt-tabbing back to it and having the hamburger selected instead. its a loving calculator, let me type digits!

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

necrotic posted:

I wonder if they fixed calc.exe, too. I've had issues alt-tabbing back to it and having the hamburger selected instead. its a loving calculator, let me type digits!

Should be fixed.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Should be fixed.

Thank gently caress. I use calc way too much and it was getting very frustrating.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

dissss posted:

Also there doesn't appear to be any policy to change the default homepage and search provider in Edge.
They've been slowly rolling new policies out as they make Edge more functional - homepages is 'Configure corporate Home pages' or 'Configure Home pages' depending on what version you're on, Search is still AWOL because Bing needs the market share.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

necrotic posted:

Thank gently caress. I use calc way too much and it was getting very frustrating.

You could get a different calc app, if you don't care about a touch-friendly UI. Someone ported the Windows 7 calc.exe to Windows 10.

http://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

It is absolutely insane that there is even a demand for a third-party calc app. It doesn't even have extra features. It's literally the Windows 7 calc.

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

Last Chance posted:

my favorite thing that I'm dealing with right now is not being able to get into safe mode because you have to be able to boot the pc to enable it

windows 10 is just so advanced that you can't press f8 anymore

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

plushpuffin posted:

You could get a different calc app, if you don't care about a touch-friendly UI. Someone ported the Windows 7 calc.exe to Windows 10.

http://winaero.com/blog/get-calculator-from-windows-8-and-windows-7-in-windows-10/

It is absolutely insane that there is even a demand for a third-party calc app. It doesn't even have extra features. It's literally the Windows 7 calc.

Not really. The nicety of the 7 program is that you could nestle it in a corner and not lose much of your main application while doing math on the side. The 8/10 calls are twice-plus the screen area and makes it harder to just have a drat floating calculator. While working on something else. I kill my phones battery now because on a laptop screen I simply can't sacrifice a full third of the screen real estate for a calculator.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

Not really. The nicety of the 7 program is that you could nestle it in a corner and not lose much of your main application while doing math on the side. The 8/10 calls are twice-plus the screen area and makes it harder to just have a drat floating calculator. While working on something else. I kill my phones battery now because on a laptop screen I simply can't sacrifice a full third of the screen real estate for a calculator.

I think you misunderstood me. The demand is justified, because Microsoft still hasn't walked back enough on the touch-first UI from Windows 8. It's just insane that these built-in metro apps are so unpolished, yet have replaced perfectly functional, faster, and better-behaved Windows forms applications.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At this point I just want Vulkan to take over so I can switch to Linux.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

BiohazrD posted:

my favorite thing that I'm dealing with right now is not being able to get into safe mode because you have to be able to boot the pc to enable it

windows 10 is just so advanced that you can't press f8 anymore

after a time (i think three) unsuccessful boots you will get the menu to choose safe mode. And that is because people actually prefer fast boot times.

PerrineClostermann posted:

At this point I just want Vulkan to take over so I can switch to Linux.

that won't magically make games appear on linux.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Nor will it help with timely bugfixes for games on Linux.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Never said it would, but it would definitely help.

necrotic
Aug 2, 2005

Never said it would, but it would definitely help.

Not as long as game devs keep using DirectX.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

plushpuffin posted:

I think you misunderstood me. The demand is justified, because Microsoft still hasn't walked back enough on the touch-first UI from Windows 8. It's just insane that these built-in metro apps are so unpolished, yet have replaced perfectly functional, faster, and better-behaved Windows forms applications.

I...agree? I was saying that it wasn't "insane" that there was the demand because of the huge drawbacks of the new calculator.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Arsten posted:

I...agree? I was saying that it wasn't "insane" that there was the demand because of the huge drawbacks of the new calculator.

OK, sorry. I was confused by the "not really" at the beginning of your post. I thought you were contradicting me. We both agree that MS hosed up a simple utility. I was just saying that it's "insane" that they would gently caress it up so badly that there would even be a demand for a replacement for the built-in utility.

plushpuffin fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 23, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

plushpuffin posted:

OK, sorry. I was confused by the "not really" at the beginning of your post. I thought you were contradicting me. We both agree that MS hosed up a simple utility. I was just saying that it's "insane" that they would gently caress it up so badly that there would even be a demand for a replacement for the built-in utility.

My bad.

Also, if you are going to get anywhere in IT, learn to read minds. :v:

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

necrotic posted:

Not as long as game devs keep using DirectX.

Well, yes. This is why in my original post I wanted Vulkan to take over.

Was that unclear somehow

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Cross-posting from the Vive thread, but is anyone else on the Windows 10 Fast Ring v14367 having hardlock issues when they try to play anything? After a few weeks of no VR I fired up my Vive tonight only to discover that games I had no problem with in the past are now hardlocking my system after about a minute of game time. All of my hardware drivers are up to date, my entire Vive setup has up-to-date firmware, and my PC's fully updated.

And by hardlock I mean the Vive image freezes, the monitor image freezes, the keyboard and mouse are unresponsive, and the audio will screech a single note for a few seconds before playing the last 10 seconds on a loop. I have to force the PC off and then bring it up before I can use it again. At first I thought it was Altspace VR's fault, but then BigRoom did the same thing so now I'm suspecting the latest Windows Fast Ring is the culprit. I'm seriously considering wiping and reinstalling with non-pre-release Windows just for some stability.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Well, yes. This is why in my original post I wanted Vulkan to take over.

Was that unclear somehow

nobody actually reads posts anymore, it's more important to be Right

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

HalloKitty posted:

I like that Microsoft managed to gently caress up 10 so badly, that a loving iconic feature of Windows, the start menu, is broken enough to need a dedicated troubleshooter. It's been working fine since Windows 95. The most you ever had to do was restart explorer.exe.

Did they fire all the good developers or what?

I'm guessing you never used Windows 8?

Anyway I read about the 7/29 upgrade and went to this thread to do research and welp.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Is there a way to increase the size of the text in the File Explorer toolbar area?

I've already increased the size of text using the Display settings in Control Panel, but it doesn't affect the text above.

Anyone? This makes me :smith:

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

So, will they stop nagging if I don't upgrade by next week? And is there a way to generate win10 keys from win7 keys without having win7 installed, for future updates?

Mr SoupTeeth
Jan 16, 2015

Ika posted:

So, will they stop nagging if I don't upgrade by next week?

LOL hell no, I'm banking on them staying the course only now holding your system hostage after installation pending credit card information or rolling back to 7/8.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Ika posted:

And is there a way to generate win10 keys from win7 keys without having win7 installed, for future updates?

No. You must upgrade if you want your hardware to be able to use it for free. Otherwise you're going to have t just buy Windows 10.

plushpuffin
Jan 10, 2003

Fratercula arctica

Nap Ghost

Ika posted:

So, will they stop nagging if I don't upgrade by next week? And is there a way to generate win10 keys from win7 keys without having win7 installed, for future updates?

Next week? I think the offer expires at the end of July, not June.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
The date is right there in the thread title, guys.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

fishmech posted:

No. You must upgrade if you want your hardware to be able to use it for free. Otherwise you're going to have t just buy Windows 10.

Right now a person can install Windows 10 fresh and use an applicable Windows 7 key to activate. At least that's what I did on my MacBook Pro so unless it's something special to Bootcamp/Mac installations which seems unlikely.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SourKraut posted:

Right now a person can install Windows 10 fresh and use an applicable Windows 7 key to activate. At least that's what I did on my MacBook Pro so unless it's something special to Bootcamp/Mac installations which seems unlikely.

Yeah, he worded it a little weird. He's saying you can't take a Windows 7 key and somehow turn it into a Windows 10 key that will activate after July 29th by itself. There's no key conversion process beyond using it for an installation before the end date.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I rolled back from the latest fast ring build so quickly I didn't even notice if they fixed calc selecting the hamburger menu when loading. Lol. Thanks for breaking flash guys, especially for somehow managing to break it inside of chrome and Firefox in addition to edge. At least rolling back didn't gently caress the store apps. This time.

Though I have to admit, replacing the whole windows folder method of updates is getting smoother over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
They need to better promote the fact that there's a setting to have Windows do the first time setup ("your files are where you left them") that you normally have to wait for when you log in after an upgrade automatically in the background after the upgrade without waiting for your log in. I don't mind upgrades nearly as much without the unexpected several minute wait when I log in.