Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Green Gloves posted:

Would I be able to step up an EVGA 980 TI SC+ that I bought used locally? The seller bought it from Amazon on 04/20/2016. It will work as long as I have the invoice right?

You can't; original owner only for Step Up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
blttelecom's tracker shows they're getting in ~380 EVGA GTX 1080 ACX 3.0 1080s tomorrow, and only 45 are pre-ordered. Based on the specs I am guessing these are stock PCBs with the custom ACX 3.0 cooler. Cost is $630 plus shipping. link: http://www.shopblt.com/item/evga-08g-p4-6181-kr-geforce-gtx-1080-acx/u086_08gp46181kr.html

I am really trying to figure out if I should just jump on this, or get in line for a STRYX OC 1080 which they show should be in stock on 7/8.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Turns out the MSI Gaming 1080 doesn't fit so well in a Corsair Air 240. Had to bend part of the case to get it in. I can't put the side panel back on anymore either, since the power connectors stick out so far now. Looks like only the FE would fit, since that's the same width as a 970.

Pissingintowind
Jul 27, 2006
Better than shitting into a fan.

fletcher posted:

Turns out the MSI Gaming 1080 doesn't fit so well in a Corsair Air 240. Had to bend part of the case to get it in. I can't put the side panel back on anymore either, since the power connectors stick out so far now. Looks like only the FE would fit, since that's the same width as a 970.

The 1080 FE just barely fits in that case. The power cable presses against the side with mine.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

fordan posted:

You can't; original owner only for Step Up.

I mean the original owner literally lives with 0.5 mile of me lol. I think I could get away with pretending I am the original owner. Just say you moved or something.

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

AMD is doing the right thing by sweeping the rug out of Nvidia's founders editions gouging bullshit. They could've priced the 480 at current GTX 970 prices (same performance, ~$300 price tag), but instead they're listening to the consumers and chipping away at Nvidia's monopoly.
Seriously, $800 for a 1080? Nvidia has had it too good for too long. And I"m saying that as a GTX 980 owner. Good on AMD.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I just want more than 55-60FPS in overwatch.

Dammit, GTX 760, give me more...

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

eggyolk posted:

AMD is doing the right thing by sweeping the rug out of Nvidia's founders editions gouging bullshit. They could've priced the 480 at current GTX 970 prices (same performance, ~$300 price tag), but instead they're listening to the consumers and chipping away at Nvidia's monopoly.
Seriously, $800 for a 1080? Nvidia has had it too good for too long. And I"m saying that as a GTX 980 owner. Good on AMD.

The 1080 is $700 for the FE, not $800. Also there are good non-FE cards for $650 or so. And AMD couldn't have priced the 480 at $300, that would have just cause their marketshare to erode even more, AMD is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, it just so happens that AMD's interests and consumer interests align in this case.

BTW, this is not a defense of the FE pricing, I would have preferred that they kept the old model of selling reference cards at MSRP and only making them for a limited period early on, but if AMD thought they could achieve their goals while charging higher prices they would in a heart beat just like Nvidia.

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
What's the comparison between the 480 and 1080 in terms of performance? Should at this point I just buy two 480's or wait for the 1080 to not be $700 and sold out all the time?

I'm mostly doing this upgrade so I can do VR poo poo and I'm not in a particular mood to have to reupgrade it a couple of years.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

SweetBro posted:

What's the comparison between the 480 and 1080 in terms of performance? Should at this point I just buy two 480's or wait for the 1080 to not be $700 and sold out all the time?

I'm mostly doing this upgrade so I can do VR poo poo and I'm not in a particular mood to have to reupgrade it a couple of years.

It's a good idea to not consider Crossfire and SLI as viable things anymore, past putting out 'good numbers.' Too few games take advantage of them, drivers are spotty for both, and given that a large amount of games are console ports, and consoles use single GPUs, it's more often than not a waste of time - unless you live somewhere cold and the extra card could heat the room your computer's in.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Just wait, dx12 and vulkan will bring a glorious multi gpu future :911:

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

It's annoying, I have a 780 right now and love the GameWorks features and have a 21:9 gsync monitor, but the longer I wait for this card the more I'm tempted to cancel because £619 is a hell of a lot to max out some (at the end of it, pointless) games.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Pissingintowind posted:

The 1080 FE just barely fits in that case. The power cable presses against the side with mine.

How about something like the Corsair 400C? Seems like it would have enough space to fit such a tall card. Doesn't seem to be a widely available measurement, I could only find the allowed length listed.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

fletcher posted:

How about something like the Corsair 400C? Seems like it would have enough space to fit such a tall card. Doesn't seem to be a widely available measurement, I could only find the allowed length listed.

The 400C is very wide, it has plenty of room for any GPU.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

fletcher posted:

How close is it to fit? Is it the card itself or the power connectors? I got the same case and I'm looking at a Asus 1080 Strix, which is 134mm, but has recessed power contacts. According to the specs the MSI card is 140mm.

Alternative is a Gigabyte G1, which is only 115mm.

Supradog fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Jun 23, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Supradog posted:

How close is it to fit? I got the same case and I'm looking at a Asus 1080 Strix, which is 134mm. According to the specs the MSI card is 140mm.

Get the G1, even the FE is a tight fit in the Air 240.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
I hope y'all can indulge me for a bit. I have a new build parted out and I am just waiting for a GTX 1080/1070 (non reference/founders) to become available before I start buying parts. But I have two questions.

Is it worth paying the extra for a 1080 or saving some cash and getting a 1070? My build is definitely overkill, but the thought with the 1080 over the 1070 is I won't have to worry about upgrades for a longer period of time. What do you think? (My other thought is just buy whichever card becomes available first.)

Secondly, and recommendations for 1080/1070's? I have been planning on a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080, but does anyone have any thoughts?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=933LBq34y8I

So apparently this is Overwatch on an RX 480 (not sure what mem size) at 4k and it seems playable?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Overwatch runs on your toaster though, so that's not saying much

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
When I ordered my MSI 970 from Amazon, I debated if I should get next day delivery or super saver 7 day+ 'it'll get here whenever' delivery. As a cheapass I selected that one.

:toot:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Truga posted:

Yeah, you can take a ye olde P4D and any mid tier GPU from 2009, drop the settings to minimum and achieve something playable (not by this threads standards though).

Also Vega hype
https://twitter.com/GFXChipTweeter/status/745768255529295872
https://twitter.com/GFXChipTweeter/status/745887920809218049

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Truga posted:

It looks like he built it into a toaster too.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Tommofork posted:

It looks like he built it into a toaster too.
Looks like a Thermaltake Core V1 variant?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Cardboard Box A posted:

Looks like a Thermaltake Core V1 variant?

Correct, it's the Thermaltake Suppressor F1.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Is it worth paying the extra for a 1080 or saving some cash and getting a 1070? My build is definitely overkill, but the thought with the 1080 over the 1070 is I won't have to worry about upgrades for a longer period of time. What do you think? (My other thought is just buy whichever card becomes available first.)

As the PC part picking thread likes to say, you can't future proof. If the 1080 is overkill for you now, get a 1070. You can always sell it and upgrade to something better in a year or two of need be.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I hope y'all can indulge me for a bit. I have a new build parted out and I am just waiting for a GTX 1080/1070 (non reference/founders) to become available before I start buying parts. But I have two questions.

Secondly, and recommendations for 1080/1070's? I have been planning on a ASUS GeForce GTX 1080, but does anyone have any thoughts?

The cards/games that obsolete the 1070 will obsolete the 1080 in all likelihood. Having half the purchase price on hand will serve you better than having 30% more performance. Just look at the 970 and 980, that difference barely matters right now.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

I'm doing gaming on a 970 at 1440 and for most things it's fine. I'm assuming a 1080 would be overkill and if I ended up getting a new card a 1070 would be where I'd end up?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

I'm impressed that the 960 helped that much at all!

It actually helped more at 1080p than it did at 1440p, but I can't find the screen caps from that test.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Green Gloves posted:

I mean the original owner literally lives with 0.5 mile of me lol. I think I could get away with pretending I am the original owner. Just say you moved or something.

You need a copy of the invoice from an authorized seller, and you need to have registered the warranty on the card within 14 days of original purchase. I don't think you're going to be able to pull this off.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

Enos Cabell posted:

You need a copy of the invoice from an authorized seller, and you need to have registered the warranty on the card within 14 days of original purchase. I don't think you're going to be able to pull this off.

According to the FAQ if you miss the 14 day period. You can purchase an extended warranty within 90 days. I will ask the guy today for the Amazon invoice and permission to register under his name to match the invoice.

And then 980 TI > 1080 sell! Capitalism, ho! But it might take awhile since EVGA does not have cards ready.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Speaking of drivers, it looks like folks are seeing flicker/artifacting at 144hz on the 1080:

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/939358/geforce-1000-series/gtx-1080-flickering-issue/1/

Nvidia has a hot fix but some are reporting it doesn't help. I'm able to reproduce this bug. Seems to occur after sleep, goes away at 120hz. It is pretty frustrating because I'm trying to make sure my g1 is defect-free before I cancel my ftw preorder. Going to test out the hotfix

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Supradog posted:

How close is it to fit? Is it the card itself or the power connectors? I got the same case and I'm looking at a Asus 1080 Strix, which is 134mm, but has recessed power contacts. According to the specs the MSI card is 140mm.

Not very close, I'd say a good 25mm short of being able to fit.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Haha, ouch. I'll go for the Gigabyte or some other slimmer card then. Inno3d also has some that are 110 - 115mm.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

fletcher posted:

Not very close, I'd say a good 25mm short of being able to fit.

What size case do you have? Mid? I'm wondering if my 1070 will fit but I already cut out a hole for my CPU cooler sooooo :unsmigghh:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Larrymer posted:

What size case do you have? Mid? I'm wondering if my 1070 will fit but I already cut out a hole for my CPU cooler sooooo :unsmigghh:

Corsair Air 240. Sort of a mid-tower cube thing I guess? I was such a big fan of this case, bummed it doesn't fit properly!

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers

macnbc posted:

As the PC part picking thread likes to say, you can't future proof. If the 1080 is overkill for you now, get a 1070. You can always sell it and upgrade to something better in a year or two of need be.

Speaking of selling GPUs, will I have a snowball's chance in hell of unloading my 2GB 960 SSC after the 4x0s are out, or should I just throw it back in the box for posterity?

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008

twxabfn posted:

Speaking of selling GPUs, will I have a snowball's chance in hell of unloading my 2GB 960 SSC after the 4x0s are out, or should I just throw it back in the box for posterity?

Why not just sell it now? Are you buying a 4x0?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

fletcher posted:

Corsair Air 240. Sort of a mid-tower cube thing I guess? I was such a big fan of this case, bummed it doesn't fit properly!

Yeah, it's a very nice looking case and pretty well engineered otherwise but the restrictive hight on video cards kills it, and for that reason I won't recommend it to people in the PC parts picking thread. GPU hight is something people rarely think about so the very short hight on the Air 240 is something that can really come back to bite you in the rear end later on.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, it's a very nice looking case and pretty well engineered otherwise but the restrictive hight on video cards kills it, and for that reason I won't recommend it to people in the PC parts picking thread. GPU hight is something people rarely think about so the very short hight on the Air 240 is something that can really come back to bite you in the rear end later on.

Yeah the Air 540 is bigger but fits more normal hardware. They're used for custom builds at a ton of booths at PAX and other shows. A couple of my friends bought them after seeing them at PAX South. Not a bad case but I like my black monolith Enthoo Pro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Hahaha! This gpu is so good!

Doom (2016) 680 = Medium settings 45 fps
MSI 970 Gaming 4g = Ultra 90 fps

Even when overclocked to 1539 Mhz it maxed out at 63c @ 55% fan speed. (ambient is 30c)

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 23, 2016