Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burn Down Canberra
Oct 27, 2005

GAME PLANS? We don't need no stinking game plans.

:cry: :cry: :cry:
There is no mystery. It's like the ashes during the 90s. A group of the greatest cricketers ever happened to be born in Australia around the same time.

Smith, lockyer and Thurston are three of the greatest players ever and they've been surrounded by elite talent.

Nsw could have maybe done better but we just haven't had the players.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Who also feed to Queensland. loving league.

This month of sobriety is going to be awesome.

You'll be right, you still get to live in the best city in the best state with the best players and the best origin team. No need to drown your sorrows when you're in the sunshine state.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

At least in the case of the Broncos, they're a marquee team with a lot of funds that will always bring in a lot of the young talent. They also have the facilities to make sure a lot of this talent develops into state beaters later on.

The Storm will not be able to sustain that without money being constantly thrown at them but god forbid a second Brisbane team pops up.

Imagine the state of NSW football without them getting gun young Canberra players before their descent into alcoholism/drugs/signing with the Roosters? Castlemaine 10X

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

To reiterate, please donate to help people with cancer and also get the benefit of watching me meltdown while watching nsw and Wests while sober for a month.

This is going to be loving brutal.

The link is http://www.dryjuly.com/users/peter-thorburn

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Always down to help get better PED's to sick people.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dalai Trauma posted:

Always down to help get better PED's to sick people.

Waiting to see your Melbourne special showing up in my email listings...

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

iajanus posted:

Waiting to see your Melbourne special showing up in my email listings...

Haha. I was thinking about my name and thought "Dalai Trauma doesn't really sound like a good name on a page raising money for cancer." So i went with the much more offensive "Storm Fan."

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dalai Trauma posted:

Haha. I was thinking about my name and thought "Dalai Trauma doesn't really sound like a good name on a page raising money for cancer." So i went with the much more offensive "Storm Fan."

I saw that, and my reaction is somewhere between "gently caress you" and "die in a fire" and "thanks for donating to charity". Leaning toward the first couple.

If other people could donate it would make my current depression a lot lighter, but my depression in about 9 days a lot giving worse. Please help out these poor cancer sufferers.

Fanatic
Mar 9, 2006

:eyepop:
If Jennings didn't concede two tries and sabotage two scoring opportunities we would have won :sigh:

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

iajanus posted:

I saw that, and my reaction is somewhere between "gently caress you" and "die in a fire"

between this, queensland winning and getting to post about laser guided double knee try-saving Slater tackles this is easily the best day of my rugby league posting career

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Dalai Trauma posted:

between this, queensland winning and getting to post about laser guided double knee try-saving Slater tackles this is easily the best day of my rugby league posting career

If only some other cunts generous folk would be so generous to want to watch me lose my poo poo and possibly have a stroke help poor cancer sufferers it would almost make up for this shitfest of a night. Almost.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
So Zak Hardaker, after deciding to abandon Leeds halfway through the season just because we're struggling (despite the club sticking by him through his disciplinary problems) has gone to Penrith in a swap deal. James Segeyaro is coming our way, how good is he?

Obviously Hardaker will fail because he's an english back so I look forward to welcoming him back to Leeds this time next year.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Kaglicious posted:

So Zak Hardaker, after deciding to abandon Leeds halfway through the season just because we're struggling (despite the club sticking by him through his disciplinary problems) has gone to Penrith in a swap deal. James Segeyaro is coming our way, how good is he?

Obviously Hardaker will fail because he's an english back so I look forward to welcoming him back to Leeds this time next year.

On current form you're making out like bandits, on last years form Hardaker is a probably better, but hard to compare. Also like you say English backs never do well in Aus...

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Kaglicious posted:

Segeyaro's a decent hooker when fit and interested but has spent the last few years hanging out on the sidelines injured, dining with bikie gangs and arguing with his coaches. If you can turn him around though you'll be doing well out of the deal.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Kaglicious posted:

Segs is lazy and out of form and apparently none of his teammates like him, so he'll probably carve up like Dave Taylor. He's really fast out of the ruck and killed it in 2014 but he's been either injured or out of form since and is probably not someone to be really excited about.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Like usual fox sports manages to find a way to rank a dude who knocked on in goal 2 certain tries over Aiden Guerra.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Byolante posted:

Like usual fox sports manages to find a way to rank a dude who knocked on in goal 2 certain tries over Aiden Guerra.

Well, Jennings did contribute more towards QLD's victory than Guerra.

Kaglicious
Mar 31, 2011
Thanks for the scouting reports on Segeyaro, Hardaker clearly didn't want to be here anymore so if we can slap this guy into shape it sounds like a positive for all involved.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

ili posted:

Well, Jennings did contribute more towards QLD's victory than Guerra.

:stoke:

Is there somehwere I can go to watch Gould roast Gallen?

Byolante fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jun 23, 2016

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Thaiday gets 2 games.

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

Jennings brought a little bit of parramagic to the game, what a worthless shitcunt.
the NSW Selectors are going the league community a disservice.

G.bird,Gal,Farah, walker, the Morris boys, Jennings and Turd Furgo can gently caress right off.
and they picked the wrong Reynolds.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I never understood the appeal of the Morris brothers. Not at Origin level. Yeah they are good at NRl level and like almost anyone with two functioning legs and/or brain cells can score for Australia on the international scene but I just can't remember them doing anything of note for NSW.

I sometimes wonder if the selectors just sit there saying "well they've got their cam-thurston-cronk-slater spine, it's time we build around a solid core too. Here's my list:

1. BRETT MORRIS
2. THE OTHER MORRIS JOHN? JOE? YOU KNOW WHO I MEAN

Right, now throw some halves in their, any really, and we're fuckin golden."

Maybe I'm just being biased but I really can't think of them being, you know, noteworthy.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The only player they should hold onto for next series is Klemmer because I really hate him and thats a sure sign he is a NSW great

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL
I'm a huge fan of the Morris boys. Josh has generally done a pretty good job against GI, and Brett is one of those guys that does everything expected of a winger. It's the shitshow on the other wing for the past five or so years that deserves more scrutiny.

Franko
Apr 25, 2007

iajanus posted:

I'm just depressed at this time of year (hilariously when Queensland win as usual) as I wonder how good they would have been without Melbourne. They're excellent players, but it's so frustrating to have to wonder what could have been. It's like their sins have hosed over a decade of origin with no end in sight.

Ok i'll bite, how would Cronk, Smith and Slater not playing at Melbourne be detrimental to Queensland? Its not like they wouldn't be playing at other clubs and be probably just as good as players. Do you think that if Melbourne folding in 2008 would somehow not lead to NSW ranging from terrible to somewhat competitive during this period?

Jono C
Mar 28, 2007

Adam is a wonderful example of how a player should go about his business in the NRL

Franko posted:

Ok i'll bite, how would Cronk, Smith and Slater not playing at Melbourne be detrimental to Queensland? Its not like they wouldn't be playing at other clubs and be probably just as good as players. Do you think that if Melbourne folding in 2008 would somehow not lead to NSW ranging from terrible to somewhat competitive during this period?

If the Storm is kicked out in 2008, there is no way that Cronk, Smith and Slater end up at the same club. We would have had a garbage expansion club and the Storm superstars in different places. A big part of Queensland's success is due to players getting familiar with each other at club level at the Storm, Broncos and Cowboys.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Jono C posted:

If the Storm is kicked out in 2008, there is no way that Cronk, Smith and Slater end up at the same club. We would have had a garbage expansion club and the Storm superstars in different places. A big part of Queensland's success is due to players getting familiar with each other at club level at the Storm, Broncos and Cowboys.

It's a large factor which people seem to forget on the QD side, then lambast the Blues for: Having a non-changing core of players who know one another. It was why the Roosters halves were totally going to succeed together.

HOWEVER

even if Billy Slater played for a trash and garbage team like the tigers or broncos he'd still be the greatest NRL, QD and Australian full back of all time so QD would still win every series he wasn't injured for.

you're welcome

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dalai Trauma posted:

It's a large factor which people seem to forget on the QD side, then lambast the Blues for: Having a non-changing core of players who know one another. It was why the Roosters halves were totally going to succeed together.

HOWEVER

even if Billy Slater played for a trash and garbage team like the tigers or broncos he'd still be the greatest NRL, QD and Australian full back of all time so QD would still win every series he wasn't injured for.

you're welcome

One D. Lockyer would like to have a word.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Byolante posted:

One D. Lockyer would like to have a word.

If he's not had his surgery I will not be able to understand a word of it.

Thinking
Jan 22, 2009

Jono C posted:

This is nonsense though, because Queensland won 6 of their dominant 8 game streak with Lockyer/Smith/JT spine, who all played for different clubs. Karmichael Hunt and Matty Bowen also played a shitload of games at fullback in that time as well.

NSW has generally drawn their players heavily from clubs like the Dogs and the Roosters and they've been complete garbage even though they're playing together and (in the case of the Roosters) are probably abusing the salary cap in that time as well.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

cpaf posted:

This is nonsense though, because Queensland won 6 of their dominant 8 game streak with Lockyer/Smith/JT spine, who all played for different clubs. Karmichael Hunt and Matty Bowen also played a shitload of games at fullback in that time as well.

NSW has generally drawn their players heavily from clubs like the Dogs and the Roosters and they've been complete garbage even though they're playing together and (in the case of the Roosters) are probably abusing the salary cap in that time as well.

Hearing whinging about the Salary cap when the Manly players were in NSW for ages (messr.s Stewart for example) is nice

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

I mean, essentially Storm were being noble and just in the face of the Manly cheating juggernaut. Keeping QLD on a level playing field and all that.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Dalai Trauma posted:

I mean, essentially Storm were being noble and just in the face of the Manly cheating juggernaut. Keeping QLD on a level playing field and all that.

When you think of how many layers off bullshitting insulation NSW have, with the judiciary, media, refs ect its only fair that a little 3rd party paying should be allowed.

Puckish Rogue
Jun 24, 2010

Byolante posted:

When you think of how many layers off bullshitting insulation NSW have, with the judiciary, media, refs ect its only fair that a little 3rd party paying should be allowed.

Checkmate, corrupt and morally bankrupt NSW fans in this thread.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

Byolante posted:

Drunk posting is not allowed here.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

The only series NSW "won" was when their captain was juiced to the eyeballs and copped an ASADA ban later the same year. A little contract misunderstanding pales in comparison to deliberate cheating by using performance enhancing drugs.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

ili posted:

The only series NSW "won" was when their captain was juiced to the eyeballs and copped an ASADA ban later the same year. A little contract misunderstanding pales in comparison to deliberate cheating by using performance enhancing drugs.

Lol that's some epic trolling there.

ili
Jul 26, 2003

iajanus posted:

Lol that's some epic trolling there.

I'm dead serious. If someone like Corey Parker or Cam Smith had been doping during one of our series wins the NSW media would have squealed and screamed and sooked until the result was overturned or nullified. But because it was Captain Courageous putting in an heroic 80 minute effort to beat the best team ever then the fact he admitted to being a drug cheat that same year is suddenly irrelevant and anyone who brings it up is labelled a troll or poor loser.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

I'm referring to you calling it a "little contract misunderstanding", poppet :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

The end result is the same. QLD rules NSW drools.

• Locked thread