Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
Shocking twist, Calamity Ganon is a failed Link clone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

You can beat The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without finishing the story

quote:

"Users may not actually get the full story depending on how they play this game and how they strategize and solve puzzles," producer Eiji Aonuma told Polygon. "Users are able to go to the very end goal without revealing why Link woke up the way he did and where he did. Whether you want to reveal the storyline and find out why Link woke up, or you want to just go straight to the goal, that's an option totally up to the user."

When asked, Aonuma confirmed that a player could go directly to the final boss of the game from its opening moments if they wanted. However, he also stressed that he didn't view this as an ideal way to play.

"Anybody who can go straight to the goal without doing anything else — there's two possibilities," Aonuma said. "Either they're a really good gamer, or they could be somebody that's a little bit crazy. But it's not impossible. I created the game like that.

"Maybe it might be fun for fans to compete in a challenge for who can clear it first."

I wonder how committed they are to this. Majora's Mask was awesome because most of the stories you encountered were less related to the overarching plot and more about bringing Termina to life, I wonder how well that concept would translate to major plot reveals.

e: you have to beat the 4 temple bosses in MM before you can reach the final boss, right? Which of the games lets you beat it the fastest without speedrun-style glitching?

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jun 23, 2016

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

drunk asian neighbor posted:

You can beat The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild without finishing the story

I wonder how committed they are to this. Majora's Mask was awesome because most of the stories you encountered were less related to the overarching plot and more about bringing Termina to life, I wonder how well that concept would translate to major plot reveals.

e: you have to beat the 4 temple bosses in MM before you can reach the final boss, right? Which of the games lets you beat it the fastest without speedrun-style glitching?

Yeah, without wrong-warping, MM is faster. OoT you still have to clear the 3 dungeons to get into Adult Link and clear 8 dungeons there to unlock Ganon's Tower.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

8-bit Miniboss posted:

You were the Dark Link all along.

i killed link and stole his memories

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

For handhelds, do you think the new Zelda template will be 2D or 3D?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That'll depend on whatever the NX is, surely.

You'd have to assume the inevitable mobile game will play like the DS games.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

That'll depend on whatever the NX is, surely.

I honestly think Mario and Zelda wont make it to mobile. I think Nintendo will want to keep their "prestige" as console titles. More RPG-esque titles are going to be up for grabs though. Next time we see an Advance Wars game, it will be on mobile.

By the way, if you do like the idea of Advance Wars on mobile, check out Lost Frontier. It's almost completely just Western Advance Wars On Your Phone.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Blackheart posted:

There can only be one Link... and one Ganondorf! BROOOTHEEEEEEER

There were two Links in Twilight Princess!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Links eyes roll into the back of his head screaming while the skies rains Lilahs

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Knorth posted:

[X]

I love this Link already :3:

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Boogaleeboo posted:

If Breath of the Wild Link really is the Hero of Time it just further cements him and Wolf Link as being inseparable buddies through time and space.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Ashsaber posted:

Yeah, Link is probably a clone or something here. I mean there's been talk from the devs about discovering the origins of this Link and you wake up in a 'Resurrection chamber' that has a funky big machine in it that drains blue fluid from around you. I think its less that Link was asleep for 100 years and more that they just made a new one.

OR, and stick with me here for a minute on this ker-razy idea, you're not a clone and its just a secret time capsule chamber just like Link spent 7 years in during OOT.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

There were three Links in A Link Between Worlds too or at least there's speculated to be three. You've got the Link you play as, you've got Ravio, the Lorule version of Link and then you've got Gramps, who isn't explicitly said to be ALttP Link but there's enough hints dropped like him still being a powerful badass even at his age and him being able to wield the Master Sword that it seems likely.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm pretty happy that both of the huge games from my childhood's latest installments start the same way.

Also I don't know how weird this is to ask, but in the year-ish before Skyward Sword came out there was a big Goon simuplay challenge of the whole series, and seeing as we have this coming up and between the 3ds and WiiU you can pretty much play every game in the series asides from 4 swords, I'm wondering if there'd be any interest in doing it again this year?

Last time I got up to OOT, broke a 3ds screen and couldn't finish and I've wanted an excuse to try again..

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Shoehead posted:

Also I don't know how weird this is to ask, but in the year-ish before Skyward Sword came out there was a big Goon simuplay challenge of the whole series, and seeing as we have this coming up and between the 3ds and WiiU you can pretty much play every game in the series asides from 4 swords, I'm wondering if there'd be any interest in doing it again this year?

Last time I got up to OOT, broke a 3ds screen and couldn't finish and I've wanted an excuse to try again..

I'm kind of doing the same thing myself. Finished OoT a few days back and am going to start MM soon. Plan to do all of the games. Even the Tingle games.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Don't say that, not even as a joke. Those controls were the worst.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Klades posted:

Don't say that, not even as a joke. Those controls were the worst.

Ugh, yes. I noticed last night that Phantom Hourglass was on the Wii U eshop in North America (I saw it come out in PAL land first but missed the NA release, so I don't know how long it's been), and I was momentarily excited until I realised that they assuredly kept the same stupid control scheme. I have a DS copy of the game but I can't stand playing it, and I never bothered to pick up Spirit Tracks for that reason - it's the only single-player Zelda adventure game that I don't own at least one version of. If I ever play either one seriously, it will be emulated with the control patch.

By the way, I'm not taking the piss out of anyone who genuinely enjoys the controls in PH and/or ST... in fact, I envy you that you can enjoy them, because they ruin for me two games that I probably would have liked otherwise. I am baffled at the mind who would implement something like that and not even include the option to use a more traditional method.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

drunk asian neighbor posted:

I still have to wonder what exactly this means, and kind of wish we had the original interview text so we could get an independent translation of what he said. I have a strong feeling he meant "some of the mysteries are revealed in sidequests, we don't force all the details on you. You can just rush the story and not get all the information (and also miss a lot of Shiekah Runes/items/upgrades that make your life much easier)" instead of "if you know where he is you can beeline to Ganon's castle and murder him, roll credits" like it seems like he means.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 24, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Awesome :)

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Is odd that I'm most excited about the inevitable no clothes/minimal items speedruns people will do in this game? The idea of Link waking up and immediately making a beeline to the last dungeon in his undies is goddamned hilarious.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Link don't gently caress around.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

If only because the Master Sword is a rusted piece of poo poo this time around, I'd like to see Fi again. I bet she'd have some opinions about paying witness to every iteration of Demise's curse from the beginning.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Level Slide posted:

If only because the Master Sword is a rusted piece of poo poo this time around, I'd like to see Fi again. I bet she'd have some opinions about paying witness to every iteration of Demise's curse from the beginning.

I hope you mean as an NPC and not the worst loving narrator ever

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Level Slide posted:

Nah, this is the game where we find out what happened to navi

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Jsor posted:

I still have to wonder what exactly this means, and kind of wish we had the original interview text so we could get an independent translation of what he said. I have a strong feeling he meant "some of the mysteries are revealed in sidequests, we don't force all the details on you. You can just rush the story and not get all the information (and also miss a lot of Shiekah Runes/items/upgrades that make your life much easier)" instead of "if you know where he is you can beeline to Ganon's castle and murder him, roll credits" like it seems like he means.

I mean, the text from that article seems to pretty explicitly state that they flat-out asked if you could go straight to the final boss from the beginning, and he said yes. I don't know how much wiggle room there is in the translation for that.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Does anyone actually have Phantom Hourglass on Wii U? Can you just put the screen on the TV so you can at least loving see? I didn't like the controls in and of themselves but having to stick your hand and stylus between yourself and the screen was the worst bit.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shoehead posted:

I'm pretty happy that both of the huge games from my childhood's latest installments start the same way.

I did every game with a challenge back then, but I just started a timeline order run through the series. I'm 2 dungeons into Skyward Sword on hero mode with 6 hearts/no shield and no healing items. this game looks incredible on dolphin.

I think I'm just going to go down the hero fails timeline since I've played most of the other games in the timeline recently.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Klades posted:

Does anyone actually have Phantom Hourglass on Wii U? Can you just put the screen on the TV so you can at least loving see? I didn't like the controls in and of themselves but having to stick your hand and stylus between yourself and the screen was the worst bit.

I don't have it on Wii U but DS VC games let you choose between almost any viewing combination on the TV that you can think of.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hope you can eventually get the regular green tunic like 70% through the game

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
I want this game to be out T______T

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
So, what are the odds of Link having a Shulk-style "bare" skin as one of his outfits for Smash 5?

Zuzie
Jun 30, 2005

I got this for a Ratatta on GTS.

DanielCross posted:

So, what are the odds of Link having a Shulk-style "bare" skin as one of his outfits for Smash 5?

Depends on how successful this game will be... and if there's going to be a Smash 5 in the first place.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Zuzie posted:

Depends on how successful this game will be... and if there's going to be a Smash 5 in the first place.

It may or may not be headed by Sakurai...but there will be a Smash 5. There's been a Smash title on every Nintendo home console since the N64, and it consistently sells a shitton of units.

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!

Jsor posted:

I think it will probably work like Chrono Trigger, where after a certain (fairly early) point in the game you know who the final boss is and where they are, but unless you figure out a very specific method of getting to him early/fighting him early you're going to get roflstomped if you try.

Speedrunning for this game is going to be very interesting if that's the case. Barring any warp-to-the-credits style glitches it's going to be a real matter of time management between getting better items/more health/armor and grinding specific OP recipes to make you stronger temporarily.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Evil Eagle posted:

I did every game with a challenge back then, but I just started a timeline order run through the series. I'm 2 dungeons into Skyward Sword on hero mode with 6 hearts/no shield and no healing items. this game looks incredible on dolphin.

I think I'm just going to go down the hero fails timeline since I've played most of the other games in the timeline recently.

How do you have controls set up for SS on Dolphin? I have it on VWii but I play games at a desk and wiimotes and desks don't play well together.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Shoehead posted:

How do you have controls set up for SS on Dolphin? I have it on VWii but I play games at a desk and wiimotes and desks don't play well together.

real wiimotion plus with a dolphin bar, my PC is hooked up to a TV. I don't know if wiimotion plus can be emulated in dolphin yet.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
My wife saw wicked two nights ago and the program listed the wizard as the guy who was the original voice of professor Oak from Pokemon.

Edit: gently caress, wrong thread

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I don't have it on Wii U but DS VC games let you choose between almost any viewing combination on the TV that you can think of.

Yeah, I actually just finished playing through PH for the first time, and I think that the fact that the gamepad screen is so much larger than the DS helped a ton. I very rarely had the severe control disasters that people mention here all the time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Oh you can have your TV as the main screen and the gamepad as the touch screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

greatn posted:

My wife saw wicked two nights ago and the program listed the wizard as the guy who was the original voice of professor Oak from Pokemon.

Edit: gently caress, wrong thread

That's pretty awesome actually, glad that guy is still getting work.