Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Neodoomium posted:

Please take Justin Abdelkader or Jonathan Ericsson or Niklas Kronwall or Jimmy Howard

Please take Kenny Holland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Eric the Mauve posted:

sorry, I misread the post as asking about hockey leagues

Yeah actually I guess it could be read that way (and maybe makes more sense anyway?), and I have no idea if there are any over 30.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Yaya posted:

I'm trying to put together a mock expansion draft and going through teams trying to figure out who to protect has made me realize I'm not as knowledgeable about this league as I used to be.

Save your time until after the UFA period cools down. That will make things much more manageable.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I like how they cited imbalance in conferences as a reason to not expand to Quebec when they purposefully did it that way so they could expand in the west.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Hot drat, I really hope they didn't base game logic around that and were smart enough to program that in as a changeable variable or they just wasted a lot of time with that re-write

I've heard its "Hard coded", but I'm I *think* that simply means that fans can't change it via database edits. I'm assuming it could be changed by SI via a patch or something. I could be wrong though!

clean ayers act
Aug 13, 2007

How do I shot puck!?

Neodoomium posted:

Please take Justin Abdelkader or Jonathan Ericsson or Niklas Kronwall or Jimmy Howard or Eric Staal

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Las Vegas Five Aces

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

I like how they cited imbalance in conferences as a reason to not expand to Quebec when they purposefully did it that way so they could expand in the west.

I'd say it's got more to do with leaving a guaranteed parachute option open, so that if Arizona or Carolina want better deals they can go "well, we'd like to stay here, but Quebec has this shiny new arena and will offer me <way too much money> and you guys are being obstinate."

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS

AsInHowe posted:

Please take Kenny Holland

Sorry, Mike Illitch gave him a NMC.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?

Schlesische posted:

I'd say it's got more to do with leaving a guaranteed parachute option open, so that if Arizona or Carolina want better deals they can go "well, we'd like to stay here, but Quebec has this shiny new arena and will offer me <way too much money> and you guys are being obstinate."

It would be such a great gently caress you to Quebec if Arizona moves there and has to play in the Pacific for a year or two. I wonder if the league really thought someone like Seattle would have gotten it together and they would implement two teams together to balance the conferences. And if Seattle never works out I can't wait to watch another round of realignment.

Schlesische
Jul 4, 2012

Schremp Howard posted:

It would be such a great gently caress you to Quebec if Arizona moves there and has to play in the Pacific for a year or two. I wonder if the league really thought someone like Seattle would have gotten it together and they would implement two teams together to balance the conferences. And if Seattle never works out I can't wait to watch another round of realignment.

If the NHLPA adds Expansion fees to "Hockey Related Revenues" during the next CBA, I could easily see some of the fringe markets re-enter the process because I don't see the Expansion fee staying at 500m.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Krime posted:

Save your time until after the UFA period cools down. That will make things much more manageable.

I think potential protection lists will look a lot different now than next offseason, random players that no ones expecting always seem to break out or completely poo poo the bed over the course of the season

Like the Jets for example: they'll have to expose two of Lowry, Burmistrov, Copp, Armia or Dano, assuming they protect 4D+4Fs. At this point I'd say they'd probably expose Armia and Lowry, but who knows what the next year will bring.

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
as a Canadian citizen in western Canada, my only NHL request to God Almighty is for them to be named The Las Vegas Nordiques

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
That will also be convenient when the team moves to Quebec in about 8 years

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yellowcar posted:

Las Vegas Five Aces

Please, Doc

they had a family

E: Imagine 4 pucks on the edge of the boards...

DJExile fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jun 23, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Eric the Mauve posted:

But in eight years the team will be strong and on the verge of their first Stanley Cup win and beloved by all Las Vegas? :confused:

Fozzie Bear
Jun 4, 2000

Rockin' out at the god damn bank

Troy Queef posted:

If that happens they need to make this their club song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQPGtzmStq4

(Also I'm in Vegas right now for a job fair, went to the Pinball HoF and BK2K was out of service. Still got a couple shots of the "VEGAS IS HOCKEY" displays at T-Mo and outside MGM Grand.)

Pinball HoF was my favourite part of Vegas.

I live in a non-NHL city, but I'll be planning a trip to Vegas to watch the isles play there on their west coast swing every year... better than Calgary or Edmonton that I have been going to for my fix.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I want to be in the war room when Vegas picks their team so badly :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

DOOP posted:

Seriously, this would be neat as hell

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DOOP posted:

It would be really cool if they do an Oil Change like doc about their process (or some kind of cool long form thing like Burnside did with the 2014 US Olympic selection year).

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Justin Godscock posted:

Going with another desert team instead of a Canadian city for expansion is the biggest Bettman move imaginable.

Though Vegas has a much better ownership and arena situation than Phoenix and I'll watch a game there for sure.

That's the thing. Canadians are going to watch and spend money on the NHL either way. Vegas, there's a *chance* they get the first, best slice of a 2.1 million person market that is currently spending approximately $0 on hockey.

It will probably fail like Phoenix/Arizona or Atlanta, but like Nashville or Tampa, there's a chance it won't.

Either way, I'll be able to plan trips to Vegas around Blackhawks games and probably not be spending much more than I would on a game at the UC even after I add in airfare, so hey.

quote:

I think the odds of a 32nd team being named sometime in the next 4 years or so is about 90%. Who would get it if not Quebec? Seattle's never going to get their poo poo together.

So what I'm saying is in the likely event Vegas fails, they're probably moving to Kansas City or Hamilton because QC will have a team already.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jun 23, 2016

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

What are they going to trade? Chips?

edit: Las Vegas Pawn Stars. Chumlee as the mascot

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 23, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Nail Rat posted:

Draft picks, UFAs they've picked up from Euro/College/AHL, etc.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Nail Rat posted:

You can put "future considerations" on the ledger. In the past this has been used by teams to bargain for unprotected players.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

T-Bone posted:

Draft picks, UFAs they've picked up from Euro/College/AHL, etc.

That makes sense, I could see how doing something like trading their first and seconds for a couple vets who aren't bottom-pairing defensemen/bottom-six forwards could be beneficial. They'll be drafting in the top five the next year again to get some building blocks, having a couple people fans could actually cheer for would help their cause of not moving in a few years.

quote:

You can put "future considerations" on the ledger. In the past this has been used by teams to bargain for unprotected players.

Likewise, I can see this happening with the Blackhawks trading picks in exchange for not drafting Pokka, Shaw or Kruger or something like that. Makes sense.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 23, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

guys haha here's my thought hahaha it's such a good one hahaha what if, oh man this is so good, what if haha the vegas team has to move hahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Nail Rat posted:

Likewise, I can see this happening with the Blackhawks trading picks in exchange for not drafting Pokka, Shaw or Kruger or something like that. Makes sense.

Yeah. Given that they're starting from scratch, it's probably good for Vegas to wring as many of these 6th and 7th round picks as they can from other teams. They're not super valuable, but the team is going to be bad for the first year anyway and you gotta get players into the system.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
So there's been discussion about teams making deals and promises to ensure unprotected players are not taken, e.g. Pittsburgh and Murray.

How about the same sort of side promises where Vegas takes some terrible contract off your hands? Vegas takes a Scuderi-type contract off the hands of whoever, claims it's for veteran experience, and oh look a separate deal where the Scuderi-team sends a 3rd-rounder for some flotsam.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

quote:

guys haha here's my thought hahaha it's such a good one hahaha what if, oh man this is so good, what if haha the vegas team has to move hahahahhahahahahahahhahaha

They will have bad attendance and lose a lot of money if the team is bad and expansion teams tend to be bad. Literally the only counterexample is the 1995 NFL expansion where they gave extra entry picks in the first two rounds to the expansion teams (in addition to an expansion draft) and made the expansion draft rules favorable. And NHL draft picks don't contribute as quickly as NFL ones. So it's a very real problem that they have to face. It's not an affront to your city, expansion is a bad place to start from.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Lessail posted:

:quig:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

kalensc posted:

How about the same sort of side promises where Vegas takes some terrible contract off your hands? Vegas takes a Scuderi-type contract off the hands of whoever, claims it's for veteran experience, and oh look a separate deal where the Scuderi-team sends a 3rd-rounder for some flotsam.

I wonder if teams might rely on the cap floor to do that for them.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

They will have bad attendance and lose a lot of money if the team is bad and expansion teams tend to be bad. Literally the only counterexample is the 1995 NFL expansion where they gave extra entry picks in the first two rounds to the expansion teams (in addition to an expansion draft) and made the expansion draft rules favorable. And NHL draft picks don't contribute as quickly as NFL ones. So it's a very real problem that they have to face. It's not an affront to your city, expansion is a bad place to start from.

No everyone would be making the same tired jokes with relocation

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

The team doesn't even have a drat name and you're all "likely event Vegas fails" ffs

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You need to get some thicker skin, if it surprises you some people don't like the idea of hockey in the desert you haven't paid much attention to what's gone on over the past twenty years or so in the NHL.

I'm rooting for Vegas to succeed.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

You need to get some thicker skin, if it surprises you some people don't like the idea of hockey in the desert you haven't paid much attention to what's gone on over the past twenty years or so in the NHL.

I'm rooting for Vegas to succeed.

Maybe you and everyone else should wait for the team to do more than barely exist before writing the obituary

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

Do you have any idea how bad they will be the first few years? Maintaining fan support will be a challenge. That doesn't mean it won't happen, BUT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlanta_Thrashers_seasons Out of 12 seasons, two winning ones and the first didn't come until the sixth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Columbus_Blue_Jackets_seasons Out of 16 seasons, three winning ones and the first didn't come until the eighth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nashville_Predators_seasons Predators didn't have a winning season for the first six years, they've basically been good ever since though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Wild_seasons Hey the Wild had only four losing seasons out of 16, two of those being the first two years. That probably had a lot to do with having the right people in place because the state breathes hockey.

Stop crying about the fact that people are skeptical. A lot of us want to see them succeed and hope they do, but it's critical they get on the path to having a good roster soon if they're going to maintain attendance. Attendance issues lead to relocation. Not sure why you're taking issue with that.

It comes up because if the Wild lost every game for fifty years in a row they'd still have full arenas. For Vegas, the team has to succeed, they don't get to just print money because they exist.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 23, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

Nail Rat posted:

Do you have any idea how bad they will be the first few years? Maintaining fan support will be a challenge. That doesn't mean it won't happen, BUT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Atlanta_Thrashers_seasons Out of 12 seasons, two winning ones and the first didn't come until the sixth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Columbus_Blue_Jackets_seasons Out of 16 seasons, three winning ones and the first didn't come until the eighth year.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nashville_Predators_seasons Predators didn't have a winning season for the first six years, they've basically been good ever since though.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Minnesota_Wild_seasons Hey the Wild had only four losing seasons out of 16, two of those being the first two years. That probably had a lot to do with having the right people in place because the state breathes hockey.

Stop crying about the fact that people are skeptical. A lot of us want to see them succeed and hope they do, but it's critical they get on the path to having a good roster soon if they're going to maintain attendance. Attendance issues lead to relocation. Not sure why you're taking issue with that.

It comes up because if the Wild lost every game for fifty years in a row they'd still have full arenas. For Vegas, the team has to succeed, they don't get to just print money because they exist.

It's because it isn't skepticism. They already know the end the day after the team was announced. You say it is critical to get on the path of having a good roster soon? I agree. But we don't even know what path they will take since they don't have a gm or really ANYTHING.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i think if you say phoenix failed at hockey then pittsburgh is right up there too with potentially selling the team

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

DJExile posted:

Please, Doc

they had a family

E: Imagine 4 pucks on the edge of the boards...

Franchise expansion works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Lessail posted:

Welcome to being a "non-traditional" hockey market fan. :hfive:

• Locked thread