Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

I'm gonna try for a video twice yeah, make that once a week. I can't be on the ball every week though, so, don't be surprised if I miss a week.
Latest Video: 12/29
Episode 36: Lovecraft, Madoka, and Blood

I'm sure a lot of you know what Bloodborne is, but for those unaware here's a quick rundown. Bloodborne is a game by FROM Software of Souls fame, and it plays pretty much like a quicker Souls game. Ditching the dark fantasy of the Souls series, Bloodborne adopts a more victorian and gothic horror style, which is part of the reason why I love the game so much.

As a bit of backstory; I love Bloodborne. From the gameplay to the sheer style it oozes, this is easily my favorite Souls-esque game. An LP is something I've considered for a bit, but, I wanted to capture the "first impression" style that would've been impossible by myself. That's where Compufreak and Devious Vacuum come in. They're both friends of mine who've experienced very little of Bloodborne, and both showed interest in this plan of mine.

Now, a couple things about the LP setup. I do not have a capture card, which is unfortunate, but, I can use PS4's streaming in a way that allows to me to record at at least 720p. It's not perfect, but, it looks serviceable, and the fact that I get to do this in the first place makes it good enough for me. Unfortunately the streaming situation does cause a few frame drops and some pixelization problems, but I feel it turns out otherwise fine, despite those issues.

On the topic of Chalice Dungeons! I bring this up in the first episode, but, I'll only be briefly showing them off so I can get a specific armor set. The Chalice Dungeons are just completely uninteresting, and while some of the bosses in there have neat lore implications, it's not worth it to delve into them.

:siren: THREAD RULES: :siren:

- Keep spoilers in spoiler tags: My co-commentators won't be looking at the thread too often for this exact reason, but on the chance there's someone reading the thread that hasn't experienced Bloodborne in some manner, I'd rather future things be kept a surprise.
- Try not to devolve into tangents: A discussion about mechanics is fine, but if it's just a constant back and forth about something with nothing coming from it, I really don't care. That's about it, honestly.
- And of course all other SA and LP forum rules apply.

Episode 1: Shotgun Grandpa
Episode 2: Teen Wolves
Episode 3: Papa G
Episode 4: The Technical Difficulties Episode
Episode 5: Feat. Special Guest Jordan Mallory
Episode 6: The One in Which I Get Owned
Episode 7: Reindeer and Cthulhus
Episode 8: Thread, What's Your Favorite X?
Episode 9: The Highschool AU
Episode 10: The Long Con
Episode 11: Understand the Concept of Snake
Episode 12: Everything is fine.
Episode 13: Compufreak yells about the sky.
Episode 14: Everything is still fine.
Episode 15: gently caress the Bloody Crow of Cainhurst
Episode 16: Time to go Full Anime
Episode 17: Pixels (2016, feat. Adam Sandler)
Episode 18: More like the Owned Reborn
Episode 19: We're not gonna go there
Episode 20: Goddammit Patches
Episode 21: Cross Counter
Episode 22: Legends of the Hidden Temple
Episode 23: This is Halloween
Episode 24: Oink
Episode 25: Moon.
Episode 26: Kevin is the Chosen One
Episode 27: Bastion OP
Episode 28: In Which I Disappoint Everyone
Episode 29: Elevators.
Episode 30: Good Boy Beams
Episode 31: Bloodborne After Dark
Episode 31A: Tale as Old as Time
Episode 32: Owned by Murlocs
Episode 33: The Secret Word is Halloween
Episode 34: Indestructible
Episode 35: A Tale of Souls and Swords, Eternally Retold
Episode 36: Lovecraft, Madoka, and Blood

CHALICE DUNGEONS WITH BADDER COP AND Badder Cop

Bloodborne Co-op Chalice Dungeons [1] - The Cop AU
I'm sending the thread off to archive: We're still doing the Chalice Dungeons, but, it's going to be a lot less organized and scheduled. You can check Bo's youtube, or my own (I'll be stuffing them in the Bloodborne playlist when they come out) if you want to see them.

Kobuddy fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 11, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Huntsman Ordinary Villagers/Zombies:
Average, ordinary villagers that Bleaksol murders because they blame him for all their problems. They're probably not wrong. Also, maybe zombies?

Carrion Crows Big, Creepy Crows:
Big fat creepy crows that drink blood.

Huntsman's Minions Igors Solomon Grundys:
They're basically Igor from Frankenstein Solomon Grundy but with a brick and sometimes a statue.

Wheelchair Huntsman Shotgun Grandpa:
I'm hunting hunters! - Shotgun Grandpa, 19xx

Large Huntsman Teen Wolves:
Angsty teen wolves that have had their hearts broken one time too many by Sir Bleaksol.

Maneater Boar Big rear end Pig:
Gotta stab it in the butt!

Church Servants: The Slasher:
Basically just the guy from Scream.

Beast Patients (Female) lovely Halloween Ghost:
A POISON lovely halloween ghost; one of the most deadly breeds.

Beast Patients (Male) Bigfoots:
Please don't burn them again, they're very sensitive.

Kidnapper Bagm'n:
GET IN THE SACK

Brainsucker Teen Cthulhus:
They're not a crow.

Hunting Dogs Knife Dogs:
They keep trying to play fetch with you, but, you can't understand it. Because of all the knives. Much like Edward Scissorhands, the tragic hero, and classic Tim Burton character.

Mad Ones Slenderman:
Find all eight pages to fight the boss for Hemwick Charnel Lane.

Hemwick Grave Woman Witches of Hemwick:
Y'know, Witches of Hemwick WOULD make a pretty good tumblr rp blog name.

Executioners Pecsecutioners:
If you're wondering if they just have really great pecs, or they execute pecs, the answer is: yes.

Snake Balls Snorbs:
Snake orb.

Small Celestial Emissary: The Boys Woobly Boys Crunchberries:
"What's the dark, gothic fantasy version of 'boing'?"

Garden of Eyes The Fly
That's a bug.

Fluorescent Flower Pseudo-Gaping Dragon:
"It's like a human centipede, but without the human." - Compufreak, 2016

Bloodlickers Mansquitos:
What the gently caress.

Bloody Crow of Cainhurst The Bloodborne OC from Deviantart.
gently caress you.

Parasite Larva Bloodthirsty Randos:
"HEY! HEY I SAW YOU POSTED SOMETHING ON TWITTER! LET ME GIVE MY THOUGHTS ON IT!"

Lost Child of Antiquity Real Boy Gargoyles:
I don't have much to say here other than why the gently caress are they called "Lost Child of Antiquity".

Cramped Casket Many Children of Gravelord Nito:
Today we learn that Gravelord Nito is actually a dad. That explains all the "neato" puns.

Scourge Beast (Skeletal) A Whole Bunch of Dudes Stuck Together: That's Gross
Jesus.

Scholar Undergrads:
"Hooooow do I solve this prooooooblem?" - Undergrad - two hours before class.

Loran Silverbeast Wolf (Circus)
Where's their honky nose?

Giant Lost Child Glue Mummies:
"Hey, what's that flying towards m- OH GOD! -YOU DIED-

Nightmare Apostle Spirit Halloween Spiders:
Get them for like 99 cents at the halloween store.

Mergo's Attendant Temple Guards:
They're going to come to your house and break all your toys. (This is an in-joke.)

Mergo's Chief Attendant The Kurvog:
They'll get Olmec on your rear end if you piss them off.

Micolash, Host of the Nightmare Macintosh:
*Aesthetic*

Old Hunter's Hound Bloodhounds:
GETTING YOU BACK, COMPUFREAK!

Nightmare Executioner Pecsecutioner the White:
"OH GOD!!" - Compufreak, 2016

Clocktower Patients Nightmare Milkmen:
Their milk brings all the hunters to the clocktower.

Clocktower Patients (Head) Party Poppers:
*birthdayhorn.mp3*

Fishman (Melee) Murloc Tidehunter:
"Death will rise, from the tides!"

Fishman (Curse) Murloc Tidecaller:
This guy gets crazy strong at family reunions.

Giant Fishman Old Murk-Eye
He's a legend among murlocs. "Mrghllghghllghg!", they say.

Fishman (Staff) Coldlight Oracle:
They can see the future. In that future both players draw more cards. Spoooky.

Fish Dog Piranha Pets:
I don't get it.

COOL GIFS 'N' poo poo:

Wordybird highlighting one of my favorite moments from episode 3:

Shlapintogan shows that the Mad Ones Slenderman don't give a poo poo about your mortal physics.

Wordybird shows how incompetent I am at videogames.

DeviousVacuum shows what would happen if our snake friends tried to go the movies.

Shlapintogan proves that even if you're being attacked by a murderous hunter, you still have time to exercise.

Wordybird showing off Bleaksol getting his just rewards.

SweetNAwful gives her interpretation of Kevin as the new crow.

Shlapintogan shows, uh...y'know what, I got nothing.

Oops.

Kobuddy fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Nov 27, 2016

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

I personally think there are two sides to the chalice dungeons, the story ones which are pretty bad because you have to do them on every new character and they just aren't interesting, and the Root dungeons which are the randomly generated ones, and those are actually pretty fun. You just have to get through the awful pre-made ones to get to the actually fun and interesting stuff.

You actually missed a second character you should talk to, especially as they have some pretty amusing special dialogue. Talking to Iosefka and getting her blood vials enough times causes her to flirt with you, however it has to be before you kill Papa G and get into Cathedral Ward for pretty obvious reasons.

It's not particularly easy to spot but the Villagers are turning into animals too, they have elongated limbs and furry faces for this reason. Most of the Rally/Regain stuff is roughly the same bar two obvious examples in the base game and one in the DLC. Blades of Mercy has tiny rally and Burial Blade has huge rally, the Beast Cutter also has absurdly small rally.

Also this looks to a promising and fun LP, I really enjoy watching one person who knows what they're doing lead people through games, and Bloodborne in particular has some probably great moments coming up because of what it is.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

You actually missed a second character you should talk to, especially as they have some pretty amusing special dialogue. Talking to Iosefka and getting her blood vials enough times causes her to flirt with you, however it has to be before you kill Papa G and get into Cathedral Ward for pretty obvious reasons.

Yeah, unfortunately, I can be a bit scatterbrained when remembering to talk to NPCs (as evidenced by me having to double back in the video to talk to Gilbert). That being said I do have a second character that I have yet to beat Gascoigne with, so, I should be able to get her dialogue with them on video by the time the second recording session happens.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Watching people react to the crazy poo poo in this game is great. But dealing with the slow and ponderous nature of a blind playthrough is not-so-much. So this gives the best of both worlds. Looking forward to future episodes!

e: Though I do not blame you for deciding to ignore the Chalice Dungeons for the most part, I do wish you would at least cover the Pthumeru line for its unique bosses for your friends to react to.

Genocyber fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jun 23, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Genocyber posted:

e: Though I do not blame you for deciding to ignore the Chalice Dungeons for the most part, I do wish you would at least cover the Pthumeru line for its unique bosses for your friends to react to.

After googling the name (since I couldn't remember which were which off the top of my head) I can say that I do plan to do up to Keeper of the Old Lords at the very least, because of the armor set that comes with beating him.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
If you'd like I did a fight with the final secret chalice boss for slowbeef's thread that I could link towards the end of the LP for people with a burning desire to see that (as well as see some Hunter Tools and a weapon you're moderately unlikely to use since my ballerest character is actually Arcane).

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It'll be interesting to see fresh reactions to the game, esp since I'd say the story if Bloodborne is much better than other Souls games.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 2: Teen Wolves

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

It's really hard to hear the NPC dialogue. Might want to boost those bits of the game audio in future videos.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Genocyber posted:

It's really hard to hear the NPC dialogue. Might want to boost those bits of the game audio in future videos.

good to know. I'll make a note of it for future recording sessions.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

The e in Gascoigne is silent, btw.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Kobuddy how could you (literally) break all of those teen wolf hearts

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kobuddy posted:

After googling the name (since I couldn't remember which were which off the top of my head) I can say that I do plan to do up to Keeper of the Old Lords at the very least, because of the armor set that comes with beating him.

funnily enough, i think the keepers are all supposed to be female

interested to see an approach to the game that's neither incredibly skilled nor mostly blind

e: video sound seems pretty quiet in general, i have difficulty hearing y'all talk sometimes and i can't hear the game at all usually

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jun 29, 2016

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Tollymain posted:

interested to see an approach to the game that's neither incredibly skilled nor mostly blind

e: video sound seems pretty quiet in general, i have difficulty hearing y'all talk sometimes and i can't hear the game at all usually

I have made a note that npc dialogue is quiet, so, I'll be adjusting that during the next session. As for other audio being quiet, I'll see what I can do, but, I plugged in the commentary audio as normal. But again, I'll see what I can do for sure.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Meow Mix Meow Mix please reconsider.
Watching this second video and hearing the comment about teen wolves just made me think of something. When you get right down to it, Bloodborne is just a game of Monster Hearts gone horribly wrong. Or horribly right, depending on your outlook.

Anyway, enjoying the run-through so far. Can't wait to see how you tackle old Papa G. Gave me no end of troubles on my first run. Mostly because I forgot that you can actually summon people for bosses and make it much easier. The price of stubborn pride and bad memory, I suppose.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

The videos are a little quiet to me, but otherwise I'm really enjoying them.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Tollymain posted:

Yeah, the hunters have a female death cry and the boss uses a female walk cycle.

I'm still surprised they didn't make a pvp thing built around defending the chalices, it would certainly have made them more interesting. Then again I've heard the original plan was for this to be an entirely single player game bar the notes, which is why the multiplayer is so underdeveloped compared to Dark Souls.

Also I thought it was a bit unfortunate you didn't let the Scourge Beast kill you, it's thematically appropriate and makes the Hunter's Dream cut-scene a lot cooler. Admittedly it seems your co-commentators worked out what was meant to happen when they saw the cut-scene so it's not a big deal.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

So, as a bit of a heads up, I HAD an update prepared until I noticed the video was tinted purple for some fuckin' reason. So, the next update's probably gonna be late for this week, unfortunately.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Sad trombone sounds.

What in the world could have caused that?

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Samovar posted:

Sad trombone sounds.

What in the world could have caused that?

The weird thing is I used to have this problem, but it was on an old computer, which ended up getting fixed anyway because I just had to reset Nvidia to it's default colors. But now it did it again, and only to this particular file, but it didn't do it to the first two videos??? It also doesn't do it to other video files. So, I don't know. I think tech just loving hates me.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 3: Papa G

I tried bumping up the audio a bit here, but, unfortunately since the source files are long gone, this is the best I can do when messing with the mixed product. This will definitely be fixed after this episode, however.

Additionally, this will be the only episode this week, as I am out of footage! We'll be recording again this Sunday, however.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Compufreak made an awful pun at 5:15 about the Kirkhammer being brutalist, and I for one applaud his wordsmithing efforts.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.

Bloodborne is a wonderful game for moments like these.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I think the Messengers are pretty cool and I do like that you can put hats or things on them.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Gascoigne is a cool-rear end fight that rolled me repeatedly on my first playthrough, but once I learned how to really play Bloodborne, he's been kinda easy since.

RIP Kevin, the Good Boy

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

See this is where my earlier comment is really interesting, because you missed talking to Iosefka before Papa G your commentators have missed some important context for the decision between the church and the clinic.

The difference between the real Iosefka and the impostor is noticeable even now. Iosefka refuses to let anyone in and is adamant that the only thing she can do to help is give you specially prepared blood vials, the impostor meanwhile seems to not know who you are and will let people in but will never give you the blood vials. There's also a subtle difference in the voice, as if someone knew enough to do a passable impression but isn't quite getting it right.

The messengers are the best, they're incredibly cute for tiny skeleton babies.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

One thing I like is, now that the Cathedral dweller mentions it, houses with those little insence-burners have people who are sane, because it acts as a beast-repellent.

Edit: Also, because the hammer has a little hollow on it that fits one half of the haft, I wonder if it was originally designed to transform between a normal hammer and a 'blunt axe'.

Goggle Fox
Jul 9, 2011

Wordybird posted:

Bloodborne is a wonderful game for moments like these.

I love this, you have done a great service.

Meanwhile to an off-hand comment in the video, if this game were different: "It's like Harvest Moon but with werewolves: Let's Play Bloodbarn"

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

See this is where my earlier comment is really interesting, because you missed talking to Iosefka before Papa G your commentators have missed some important context for the decision between the church and the clinic.

The difference between the real Iosefka and the impostor is noticeable even now. Iosefka refuses to let anyone in and is adamant that the only thing she can do to help is give you specially prepared blood vials, the impostor meanwhile seems to not know who you are and will let people in but will never give you the blood vials. There's also a subtle difference in the voice, as if someone knew enough to do a passable impression but isn't quite getting it right.

The messengers are the best, they're incredibly cute for tiny skeleton babies.

I think you'll be pleased with the next episode, once the commentary gets recorded. I ended up going back as Kevin to record Iosefka's dialogue before actually beating Gascoigne, since you brought it up, and I actually forgot at the time of recording the first session.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 4: The Technical Difficulties Episode

I have an explanation as to why this episode is called that in the video description. Hoo fuckin' boy, tech despises me recently.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Just picked this up, really digging it because its one of the few playthroughs where the player knows that the hell they're doing. Blind runs get dull to watch so fast.

Also digging your co-commentators. Its hilarious watching them guess at what's going on like its a cheesy 90s horror movie.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

Don't worry. THAT joke has a much more appropriate at another spot in the game!

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

Oh yeah, I hope the audio balance is slightly better in this episode. I did a bit more dynamic editing and auto-ducking rather than just the straight decrease I did in the previous 3.

Wordybird
Oct 22, 2013

I like Chicken.
I like Liver.
Donating to medical science and making little girls cry. Truly Sir Bleaksol is the hero this world deserves. Also that reaction from DVac and Compufreak to the top hat's evil curse was incredible. There are two ways you're gonna react to that happening and they exemplified that perfectly.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

Only the male beast patients are afraid of fire, the females with the hoods aren't. Also you should totally make the vampire thing true when/if you get the option. As of now you're just a Hunter.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Bloodborne posted:

Shields are nice, but not if they engender passivity.

A great diss if I ever heard one.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Oh man, I've been playing this again since the LP started and I'm still so hooked on the game's atmosphere. It's so good.

Also, once DVac and Compufreak learn the truth of blood science, they will be ashamed of their words and deeds.

Kobuddy
May 11, 2013

UPDATE:

Episode 5: Feat. Special Guest Jordan Mallory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

So when are you putting the Bloodborne Bestiary as described by DVac and Compufreak in the OP?

also https://twitter.com/Shlapintogan/status/752270599075037184

Doctor Hospital fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jul 10, 2016

• Locked thread