Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

hooah posted:

That sounds like a feature you turned on by mistake. I know BeyondPod has something similar where (most of the time) it will back up some number of seconds when you unpause, just so you don't miss anything.

No, sometimes it will simply unpause, as expected.

Other times it will rewind ten minutes and unpause, rather than just unpause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Rusty! posted:

Does Sky Map not run on it?

Once I put it in manual mode, it worked fine. Good enough to teach my nephews the constellations, and maybe let them spot some interesting stuff in their telescope. Thanks.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Funso Banjo posted:

No, sometimes it will simply unpause, as expected.

Other times it will rewind ten minutes and unpause, rather than just unpause.

I had that problem just a couple of times when Astronomy Cast put out a few episodes with screwed up files. Unfortunately I have no advice except to see if there's a pattern to when it happens and go from there.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Is there a top-tier MP3 library/player app out there? I know the push is to the cloud, but I'd like to load up a 128GB MicroSD with a ton of albums for offline listening, and an app that can handle a huge library well would be nice.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Poweramp.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

bunky posted:

Poweramp.

Cool. Grabbed it for $1 of google play credit!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

ShaneB posted:

Is there a top-tier MP3 library/player app out there? I know the push is to the cloud, but I'd like to load up a 128GB MicroSD with a ton of albums for offline listening, and an app that can handle a huge library well would be nice.

Alt. answer: rocket player + isyncr

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Are there any decent alternatives to Field Trip? Looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

kri kri posted:

Are there any decent alternatives to Field Trip? Looks like it hasn't been updated in over a year.

I think they're working on some type of replacement, but it's invite-only testing at the moment.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
In Poweramp any way to exclude podcasts / certain folders? Using Antenna Pod. Cheers.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ICHIBAHN posted:

In Poweramp any way to exclude podcasts / certain folders? Using Antenna Pod. Cheers.

If you stick a file called .nomedia in the folder you want to exclude, it should keep the system from looking for media in it. Your podcast app should still see the files because it's specifically looking for them there.

edit: feels like it's 2011 all over again

Raged
Jul 21, 2003

A revolution of beats
I'm a newbie to android so forgive me if my question is dumb.

Decided I did not like my lockscreen which was plain black so I downloaded GO Locker. I set it up and now I have 2 lock screens. Do. Have to disable the base lockscreen somehow? Or is this how all the lockscreen apps work?

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

yes disable the built in by going to settings->security

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Is there a program or a better cable (than the one that comes as standard) which increases the speed of adding files (mp3s) to yer phone, Samsung S7 specifically? Mine seem to take an age, especially compared to iPhones through iTunes, much as I hate to admit that.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Just use Airdroid or FX to move them across WiFi. Or upload them to Google Play and then pin the ones you want to keep on your device.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
If that actually works holy poo poo

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

ICHIBAHN posted:

If that actually works holy poo poo

It works just fine. I haven't transferred files to/from my phone via a cable since like... 2010.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

Funso Banjo posted:

I am using Podcast Addict, and having an annoying problem.

When I press the button on my headphones to pause/unpause my current podcast, sometimes it rewinds at the same time as unpausing it. It's really annoying, anyone know of a fix, or if I have screwed it up somehow?

What phone do you have? I have a very similar problem, but in Beyondpod. I had it on both my BLU phones, both models branded Vivo. I haven't had it on any other device.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Is there an as-good/better browser than chrome that uses tabs as discreet apps in the task browser? Chrome reverted to tabs-within-chrome and I loving hate it. Takes like 3 more button presses to switch/close tabs.

Or maybe there's some secret method to reverting chrome back?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I'm afraid you're the only person ever to have liked that feature

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Skarsnik posted:

That's the truth. I always give new interfaces a shot on their terms because I figure clinging to the past is how you get people willingly using Foobar 2000 and I think I gave that idea like a day before it had completely destroyed the usefulness of the task switcher.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Hey i use foobar! Best browser to link to Pocket?

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Skarsnik posted:

It was an awesome feature.

I think if you're a heavy web user, it was a great feature. If you didn't use your phone for browsing, I can see why you might not want it.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It could be a good feature with a little more work. (I've actually long been a fan of the idea of blurring the distinction between "web browser" and everything else an OS does, because it's not like you're ever actually offline these days.) Maybe there just needs to be a more intuitive way of "closing" a browser tab that you're done with. Otherwise the task switcher gets cluttered in no time, because I usually just hit the Home button when I'm done.

Of course, I'd inevitably end up closing something and then wanting to open it again (your classic "throw the wrapper in the garbage and then need to read the instructions" problem). So they'd probably want to accommodate that as well.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Sir Lemming posted:

It could be a good feature with a little more work. (I've actually long been a fan of the idea of blurring the distinction between "web browser" and everything else an OS does, because it's not like you're ever actually offline these days.) Maybe there just needs to be a more intuitive way of "closing" a browser tab that you're done with. Otherwise the task switcher gets cluttered in no time, because I usually just hit the Home button when I'm done.

Of course, I'd inevitably end up closing something and then wanting to open it again (your classic "throw the wrapper in the garbage and then need to read the instructions" problem). So they'd probably want to accommodate that as well.

This reminds me of the one thing that bothers me about Chrome on Windows versus OS X. I frequently close a tab and need to go back to it but it's not the last tab I closed. On OS X, there's the Menu Bar and in it a History list that gives me access to the last ten domains I had open. On Windows there's only right click on the tab bar, reopen most recently closed tab. I bump into that annoyance constantly on Windows.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

This reminds me of the one thing that bothers me about Chrome on Windows versus OS X. I frequently close a tab and need to go back to it but it's not the last tab I closed. On OS X, there's the Menu Bar and in it a History list that gives me access to the last ten domains I had open. On Windows there's only right click on the tab bar, reopen most recently closed tab. I bump into that annoyance constantly on Windows.

Windows Chrome: What do you get if you click the hamburger menu and hover over history?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

Windows Chrome: What do you get if you click the hamburger menu and hover over history?

Yeah, that's what I end up having to do. My point (which I made poorly due to rushing my post because I was cooking) is that if you'd had asked me if I wanted quick access to my old tabs I would've said no but in practice I use it if not a lot, then frequently enough to miss it when it's gone on a computer. I guess then it shouldn't surprise me that some people want that same functionality on mobile.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Mobile UIs currently don't make much of a distinction between "recently closed" and "open in the background". I realize this is because of the way they do memory management, and the fact that it's made more sense for single-screen usage. But with actual multitasking becoming more of a thing on mobile devices now, maybe this doesn't make as much sense from a UI perspective anymore.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

ICHIBAHN posted:

Settings > Folders and Library > Music Folders

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Skarsnik posted:

When they first change from tabs-within-chrome I hated it due to 'taskbar clutter' but i got used to it. Now that they went back it just feels less efficient and easy. What was two actions is now four.

A good example of why it sucks: I was browsing a site that jumped me with one of those lovely YOU HAVE A VIRUS pop-ups. So I hit taskbar button and swiped the tab closed. Except that closed chrome, not that tab. Relaunched chrome, guess what greets me: lovely pop-up site as chrome just launched back into all previous tabs. I was forced to interact with lovely pop-up site to close it.

It's a bit slower due to this too.

Whatever tho I'll get used to it I suppose.

TwystNeko
Dec 25, 2004

*ya~~wn*
Is there a location-based to-do app?

Example: I get home, phone connects to my wifi, it pops up a list of things I need to do, like "print invoice for dan". I don't want to do a time-based thing, since I never know when I'll be home.

Example 2: I hop in my car, phone connects to my BT stereo, and pops up a list of errands I need to do today.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Google now could do the first one

otherwise they could be done with any to-do list app and something like llama or automateit or one of the other automation apps, just set it up to run the to-do app when the appropriate condition is detected

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Funso Banjo posted:

It was an awesome feature.

I think if you're a heavy web user, it was a great feature. If you didn't use your phone for browsing, I can see why you might not want it.

I didn't like it because I'm a heavy web user. I'll have tons of tabs and it made it hard to find the regular app I'm looking for.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

TwystNeko posted:

Is there a location-based to-do app?

Example: I get home, phone connects to my wifi, it pops up a list of things I need to do, like "print invoice for dan". I don't want to do a time-based thing, since I never know when I'll be home.

Example 2: I hop in my car, phone connects to my BT stereo, and pops up a list of errands I need to do today.

Google keep can do the first one at least

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Thank you for the airdroid recommendation. It rules. Is there a way to change the default folder where you upload files from your computer to phone?

Edit: also, any way to use my phone to browse files to copy from my computer?

ICHIBAHN fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 24, 2016

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

ICHIBAHN posted:

I'm pretty sure Solid Explorer can do that. I just... don't know how. I got it working, like, once, but never again... :eng99:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ICHIBAHN posted:

share whatever folder you want through windows, get solid explorer hit the plus floating button on the main screen, add new cloud connection, LAN/smb, it will scan for available shares, select the share

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Cheers guys but I should've been more clear, I meant browse to files to copy within the airdroid app.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's the best third-party twitter app if I specifically don't want it to be a huge data hog? I'm currently using Fenix which I like a lot but it doesn't seem to have any specific low-data-use options in it (unless I'm completely overlooking it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I don't use Twitter, but...i don't see how twitter could be a huge data hog in the first place. It's just small amounts of text.