Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Roylicious posted:

As far as I'm aware, Appalachians = Squidbillies.

Only the southern ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Youre all weird

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

I.N.R.I posted:

Youre all weird

:ironicat:

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I speak with a true Ohio accent, as all newscasters do, I'm just stuck in WV for the last 8 years.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

LastCaress posted:

I still want to do a few ones before thinking of Everest:

-Denali, USA
-Kosciuszko, Australia
-Elbrus, Russia
-Damavand, Iran
-Fuji, Japan
-Fogo, Cape Verde
-Thabana Ntlenyana, Lesotho (don't know how accessible this one is, the others are feasable)

know any more interesting ones?
I already did:

-Serra da Estrela,Portugal
-Pico Almanzor, Spain
-Kilimanjaro, Tanzania
-Ararat, Turkey
-Stok Kangri, India
-Hvannadalshnjúkur, Iceland
-Atlas, Morocco
-Hochobir, Austria

After those I think I'll have a good representation of the mountains of the world, I think I'll be ready to die on Everest :D

Mt Rainier in Washington is pretty great. It's always way cloudy there too, and a lot of summits will try to time it so that they summit in time to see the sun rise over the sea of clouds. At 14k feet elevation, the air is thin but it's not Everest level slowly-killing-you thin. It's lower than even Everest Base Camp.

The mountain deaths seem totally fair too, like rogue avalanches or getting squashed by a rock.

Also, the Andes are totally incredible and you really must see them. Oh hey, this valley is at 12,000 feet elevation and the mountains right next to it are hella high and look completely unclimbable (some of them are)

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

canyoneer posted:

Mt Rainier in Washington is pretty great. It's always way cloudy there too, and a lot of summits will try to time it so that they summit in time to see the sun rise over the sea of clouds. At 14k feet elevation, the air is thin but it's not Everest level slowly-killing-you thin. It's lower than even Everest Base Camp.

The mountain deaths seem totally fair too, like rogue avalanches or getting squashed by a rock.

Also, the Andes are totally incredible and you really must see them. Oh hey, this valley is at 12,000 feet elevation and the mountains right next to it are hella high and look completely unclimbable (some of them are)

According to the guy in this video, Rainier is like a trainer version of the Himalayan peaks. I went to Camp Muir (popular base camp for a Rainier summit) and it had all the prayer flags, stone buildings, and poop huts. Reminded me of far cry 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqTcD9Amfq4

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo

Der Kyhe posted:

There is literally a cabin lift to the summit of El Teide. Just pick a non-windy day and 10 euro for the lift fee, and everything else you will need is a taxi and a six-pack of beer.

I know but I'd like to do a 0m - 4000m - 0m trip, not many places you can start in a beach go to top of mountain and then end on a beach again :)

UberJew posted:

As a Californian I have to give a shout out for my homedog Mount Whitney. You even get to pick how you'd like to climb it, a crazy strenuous hike up the west or a scramble up the east.

Hell if you wanted a singularly intense experience that you could brag about I'd be more impressed by somebody completing the whole Pacific Crest Trail than climbing Everest, even if it's not as likely to kill you (you can always do the whole great western loop and throw in a couple deserts to make it more lethal if you want)

I'll look into it, but US is expensive and I was already thinking about Denali

canyoneer posted:

I wanted to try Aconcagua, but this year I'm already going up some south america mountains so I have to postpone for a while :)

Well tomorrow I go to Bulgaria!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I for one am pumped about getting out own goon everista

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack
if a goon dies on everest, there will forever be the biggest of all stairs in his house

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

OMGVBFLOL posted:

if a goon dies on everest, there will forever be the biggest of all stairs in his house

:/

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
He won't be protected though.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think he would be banned at base camp for having a gooncamp :gooncamp:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Banff is very nice but there has to be a second nice view in all of Canada.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Bip Roberts posted:

Banff is very nice but there has to be a second nice view in all of Canada.

find a city and look south :toot:

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
I did bring my drone

Seabhac
Sep 12, 2009
http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/asia-pacific/mountaineers-say-indian-couple-faked-mount-everest-pictures-1.2704482

Little end of season drama

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

STOLEN VALOR

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!

Those two are heroes. They are the first ones to get smart about Everest.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I believe they actually climbed it. After all, what kind of person would photoshop themselves on top of a mountain in a vain attempt to claim to be the first person of a specific nationality to climb Everest?

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

what countries haven't climbed it yet? i want to start naturalizing somewhere so i can go down in history

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

what countries haven't climbed it yet? i want to start naturalizing somewhere so i can go down in history

gently caress that. Let's all laugh at Zimbabwe and Guam.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Tuxedo Gin posted:

http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/everest/

Though there's a few obvious omissions, pretty sure Russians have climbed Everest, so do more research before naturalizing.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

Mega64 posted:

I believe they actually climbed it. After all, what kind of person would photoshop themselves on top of a mountain in a vain attempt to claim to be the first person of a specific nationality to climb Everest?

Better yet, they were claiming to be the first "Indian couple" to climb Mount Everest. A 13-year-old girl and a female amputee from India have successfully climbed Everest, so why anyone would care about "first Indian couple" I have no loving clue.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Time Cowboy posted:

Those two are heroes. They are the first ones to get smart about Everest.

Why are people getting the police (I guess their boss?) involved? Is there some law in india about bragging about made up poo poo? Can you go to prison if it turns out your uncle in fact doesn't work at nintento?

Cymoril
Jul 1, 2005

Kittens Warm the World
Dinosaur Gum
I have hiked up mountains in the Adirondacks. Does this mean I can conquer Everest?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Why are people getting the police (I guess their boss?) involved? Is there some law in india about bragging about made up poo poo? Can you go to prison if it turns out your uncle in fact doesn't work at nintento?

If people give you money or rewards or something on the basis of something you claim you did, but you lied about it, you've committed fraud.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cymoril posted:

I have hiked up mountains in the Adirondacks. Does this mean I can conquer Everest?

Sorry buddy, your hiking hobby has no synergy with photoshop proficiency.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

This faked Everest is awesome, here they are part way up:

Here she is on the summit:

They even changed into different boots on the summit! :wow:

First full gear swap on Everest!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've seen a lot of morphs in my day and I can say that's a morph

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug
Bless them for devaluing everest.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

Everest Stolen Valor is the best Morphshop Monday theme we've had here in a while.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I know everyone tries to summit when the jet stream has died down and it's not too windy, but pretty much anyone photo of someone at the summit with a flag shows you how windy it is. Except this one, for some reason!

Pekinduck
May 10, 2008

Ive seen a lot of florescent lighting in my day and that flag is lit with florescent lighting.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Picnic Princess posted:

Here she is on the summit:

Here's the image source:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

LOL well that's indisputable then. Hilarious.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Leperflesh posted:

That guy photoshopped himself into her picture and removed the flag. Disgusting.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Leperflesh posted:

They will find a way to dispute it. This kind of liar is loving shameless.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Outrail posted:

That guy photoshopped himself into her picture and removed the flag. Disgusting.

I'm impressed with how well he was able to enhance that jpeg, he must have learned it from CSI or something

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Pekinduck posted:

Ive seen a lot of florescent lighting in my day and that flag is lit with florescent lighting.

Yeah, the light's also from above, and fairly hard. A summit photo should be pretty evenly soft-lit because of snow reflection from all angles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

why did the dudes arm on the right move