Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Slotted rotors, but only on the inside!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nene
Jan 5, 2007
Mad Scientist

Geirskogul posted:

Slotted rotors, but only on the inside!

In this thread, it's only a matter of time until the slots are on the outside.

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Soaking my crankshaft in lye did an awesome job of getting all the aluminum from the seized con rod off of it, and the journal looks like it's in good shape. I ordered the $60 worth of parts needed to put this thing back together, so in about a week I'll either have a functional engine again, or I'll find any other problems the oil starvation caused when the whole thing grenades and I'll have plenty of photos to post here.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Just make sure you get all the bearing trash out of the crankcase and oil passages as well... and the oil passages in the crank. Otherwise you get to do it again! :woop:

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
All this rotor chat reminds me that I need to get an extra set. Mine should have plenty of life left, but it will be sad to waste a track day because I can't find spares.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No matter how bad your day is going.....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Wanna see that dashcam vid.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Powershift posted:

I'm really curious how that happened since tanks are wide and have a pretty low center of gravity. Fell off the trailer?

Also it looks like the soldier is berating the kid for it. :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Godholio posted:

Wanna see that dashcam vid.

How do you say "hold my vodka and watch this" in russian?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was gonna say, how the gently caress do you roll a tank? That's like flipping a pancake by sliding it around on the pan.

Sucks about that truck though. Broken leaf spring? Poorly fabricated 4-link? I think I see leafs in the front and that looks like a half of a main leaf hanging down in the back, so leaning towards a busted leaf spring.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ZLKkA4DuSM

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
2-piece floating rotors are a good idea for a track car. A solid rotor will want to kind of dish out due to thermal expansion. A lot of 2-piece rotors are just bolted together and don't allow any float between the disc and hat, so sometimes this happens:

Also those rotors don't come assembled and need to be safety-wired. Huge pain in the rear end.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

dat steering angle doe

:eyepop:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPf0k-zJcXA

Tank Biathlon.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

jamal posted:

2-piece floating rotors are a good idea for a track car. A solid rotor will want to kind of dish out due to thermal expansion. A lot of 2-piece rotors are just bolted together and don't allow any float between the disc and hat, so sometimes this happens:

Also those rotors don't come assembled and need to be safety-wired. Huge pain in the rear end.

For some reason, I find it kind of funny that it was the cast iron rotor that failed instead of the aluminum hat. But then maybe the hat was effectively heatsinking into the wheel...

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

jamal posted:

Only if you're bad at it. :v:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CommieGIR posted:

Tank Blyathlon.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Powershift posted:

The joke is that the m1a1 was designed by Chrysler defense, right?

e: yes I know that's not an Abrams.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I think I'm more surprised noone didn't go over with a match and set that fuel leak behind it on fire yet.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.

Rear wheel steering is an interesting innovation to the ute.....

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

JuffoWup posted:

I think I'm more surprised noone didn't go over with a match and set that fuel leak behind it on fire yet.

It is probably diesel so it wouldn't work anyway.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BigPaddy posted:

It is probably diesel so it wouldn't work anyway.

Jet fuel most likely. So same result.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

jamal posted:

It always surprises me that car guys don't normally safety wire poo poo. I guess because the penalty for crashing is much lower.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Safety wire....the rotor?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:allears: Good safety wire is so pretty :swoon:

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Excuse my ignorance, what is the purpose of the safety wire?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Stops things from undoing on their own, in circumstances where loctite or whatever isn't appropriate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

slothrop posted:

Excuse my ignorance, what is the purpose of the safety wire?

See how if one bolt tries to turn anticlockwise, the safety wire will tug its neighbour clockwise?

That prevents either of them from coming loose and ruining your day or the day of someone behind you when the bolt becomes shrapnel.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

SAFE YOUR SHOP ENDS, HEATHEN

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

This looks rad. How is safety wire generally done, like that? Does it come pre-twisted and you just bend it?

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Not at all. It has to get looped through the hole in the bolt head before being twisted, so that's slightly like asking if zipties come pretightened.

Here's how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

kastein posted:

Not at all. It has to get looped through the hole in the bolt head before being twisted, so that's slightly like asking if zipties come pretightened.

Here's how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwFjUX6SaY8

I'm 99% sure he meant the fact that the wire is not a single strand, but rather twisted strands.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Sure looks like it's single strand wire twisted together to me, but I'm not sure due to the photo not focusing on it.

And like MrYenko said, they forgot to fold the cut ends over and twist them underneath so they don't stab the gently caress out of your hands if you aren't careful.

You can get little precrimped aircraft cable safety wires that have a ferrule crimped on one end, they cost more I think but are faster to apply because you just need a tensioning tool that pulls the cable snug through the two holes and then crimps the second ferrule on. Not sure what they're called, but we use them on some stuff.

e: it's called Safe-T-Cable(r)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkYLqop7HlE
or just safety cable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1IZYcZGlY

kastein fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jun 24, 2016

bennyfactor
Nov 21, 2008

kastein posted:

Sure looks like it's single strand wire twisted together to me, but I'm not sure due to the photo not focusing on it.

And like MrYenko said, they forgot to fold the cut ends over and twist them underneath so they don't stab the gently caress out of your hands if you aren't careful.

You can get little precrimped aircraft cable safety wires that have a ferrule crimped on one end, they cost more I think but are faster to apply because you just need a tensioning tool that pulls the cable snug through the two holes and then crimps the second ferrule on. Not sure what they're called, but we use them on some stuff.

Does it not matter that the cable isn't going both thru the bolt head and around one outside edge of it like the hand-twisted version? I guess I don't get the actual mechanics of lockwire.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

kastein posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkYLqop7HlE
or just safety cable
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj1IZYcZGlY

Thanks, I was wondering what the market name for the SS wire + crimper was :)

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

SEKCobra posted:

I'm 99% sure he meant the fact that the wire is not a single strand, but rather twisted strands.

Yeah it's a single strand, comes in a can. I can't find my can of it (it's good for general-purpose small-gauge Jerry-rigging, small baling wire) but here's the Wikipedia photo of it:

You put it though the hole in the bolt head and then twist it, as the video in the post you quoted makes clear.

Edit: actual baling wire is pretty hefty stuff, right on the edge between "wire" and "rod", could be either depending on the length you're working with.

Edit again: I've never worked with hay, but I have tied off bales from the pallet-sized version of this:

There's a reason "haywire" is slang for "gone pear-shaped", if you don't tie it off right it'll go back to being straight and put your eye out. Tying the bales is the newbie's job, of course.

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 24, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Fifty Three posted:

This looks rad. How is safety wire generally done, like that? Does it come pre-twisted and you just bend it?

See those pliers to the left? They spin.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Hilarious. Yeah, I couldn't clearly see that only one strand was going through the holes in the bolts, and had no idea what the mechanism was. I learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
What's the reason for safety wiring no more than three bolts at a time?