Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jellymouth
Jul 9, 2009
Fun Shoe
This game has got to take place in pre-flood Hyrule in the Wind Waker timeline, right?
- Hyrule has been mostly destroyed by Ganon.
- Hyrule castle is sealed away ftom the rest of Hyrule.
- Koroks are farting about.
- Slightly similar art styles.
- The Hyrule landscape straight-up looks like it did in Wind Waker, minus the spire-like mountains.

If this is true, will this game end with the flooding of Hyrule? Or perhaps it doesn't and we get another prong on the timeline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Jellymouth posted:

This game has got to take place in pre-flood Hyrule in the Wind Waker timeline, right?
- The Hyrule landscape straight-up looks like it did in Wind Waker, minus the spire-like mountains.

If this is true, will this game end with the flooding of Hyrule? Or perhaps it doesn't and we get another prong on the timeline.

A lot of people were thinking it was post-drain rather than pre-flood. My personal wild guess was that this Link was a stasis'd Windwaker Link all grown up (since the voice mentions he needs to be Hyrule's light "again" implying it's a previous hero). Though that would raise the question about what happened to New Hyrule.

Pre-flood is possible, I guess, but I'm skeptical of any Zelda ending as a tragedy. It's just not the way the series works. I guess LA was sort of a tragedy? But that game is also a weird tonally different sequel like MM.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

BotW is a merger of all three timelines.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jellymouth posted:

This is gonna be the timeline where Link came out of stasis in time to kick Calamity Ganon's rear end and thereby eliminate the need for the goddesses the flood the world. It explains a lot about how Wind Waker Link was just some shmuck who had to dredge his triforce up from the sea floor in chunks, instead of just being reincarnated with it; the previous Link was still in cryostasis at the bottom of the ocean.

Zelda timeline is gonna be an asterisk with Skyward Sword in the dead center by the time Nintendo runs out of steam :v:

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
This is the "Groose wins the Skyloft Academy race" timeline.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Give me Crisis on Infinite Hyrules.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jsor posted:

This is the "Groose wins the Skyloft Academy race" timeline.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Give me Crisis on Infinite Hyrules.

You guys are just describing Hyrule Warriors 2, now with playable Groose.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Welcome to Best of the Worst, we watch three of the worst Zelda timelines and determine which one is the Best of the Worst

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
This game has me pretty excited for some Zelda action, but I haven't actually played a Zelda game since Links Awakening!

My roomate has a WiiU. Is the Twilight Princess HD thing worth it?

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

OB_Juan posted:

This game has me pretty excited for some Zelda action, but I haven't actually played a Zelda game since Links Awakening!

It might be? Twilight Princess is a weird animal. I think it's likely you'll like it just fine if it's your first time through. It has really neat dungeons, and a lot of really charming side-characters. The prologue/tutorial is like enormously long, though, and seems to turn a lot of people off of the game.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

This game is giving me Phantom Pain vibes, and while I don't think anything too bad will be left on the cutting-room floor, I wonder how the hell are they going to follow up after the open-world concept? Could this be like a sendoff game?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

OB_Juan posted:

Yes. TP is good and the HD version cuts out a few annoying bits.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

deadly_pudding posted:

It might be? Twilight Princess is a weird animal. I think it's likely you'll like it just fine if it's your first time through. It has really neat dungeons, and a lot of really charming side-characters. The prologue/tutorial is like enormously long, though, and seems to turn a lot of people off of the game.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. TP is good and the HD version cuts out a few annoying bits.

Prologues/Tutorials normally don't bother me. I do prefer fewer annoying bits. Also, I kinda think the amiibo thing is neat. Ordered!

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Inspector Gesicht posted:

This game is giving me Phantom Pain vibes, and while I don't think anything too bad will be left on the cutting-room floor, I wonder how the hell are they going to follow up after the open-world concept? Could this be like a sendoff game?

It'll follow the nostalgic cycle pattern. The next game will be the most ambitious sidescroller ever.

In twenty years, we'll get to the Skyward Sword nostalgia. They will make the biggest open world game every, 1000x bigger than Breath of the Wild, but you won't get to explore any of it and be railroaded on a set straight path.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I don't know, man. Mario went to capital-S Space for the Galaxy series and after the fact I kinda felt like they painted themselves into a corner with that move. But then they came out with 3D world and it turns out the answer to "where you go from space" is "back the way you came."

So, probably just a return to form, but better.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I think, depending on how BOTW actually turns out, the best option might be to do a semi-sequel with the same assets, like OOT to MM, to put off the time and cost of redeveloping all this poo poo again.

A Majora's Mask style sequel could focus on depth rather than breadth and have this rugged do-anything survivalist Link with his vast arsenal of tricks put into a somewhat smaller and focused world filled with people on a Majora's Mask-style schedule and routine.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Acne Rain posted:

Welcome to Best of the Worst, we watch three of the worst Zelda timelines and determine which one is the Best of the Worst

Ganon's evil plan for this one is to merge the timelines, causing Hyrule to have portals to the dark world, be covered in twilight, and be flooded at the same time as reality upon reality crashes together. Link, being a robot, must visit all of these crisis realities and defeat their corresponding (now corrupt) Links to capture their souls and reinforce himself with them so that he has the Link-soul power to reassemble the Triforce and defeat meta-Ganon, who is an entity composed of every Ganon incarnation fused together. Once it's all over, Hyrule is in a semi-permanent state of temporal and dimensional flux, and Zelda realizes her family is dead and ascends the throne as transient space queen.

Hire me Nintendo.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Ganon's evil plan for this one is to merge the timelines, causing Hyrule to have portals to the dark world, be covered in twilight, and be flooded at the same time as reality upon reality crashes together. Link, being a robot, must visit all of these crisis realities and defeat their corresponding (now corrupt) Links to capture their souls and reinforce himself with them so that he has the Link-soul power to reassemble the Triforce and defeat meta-Ganon, who is an entity composed of every Ganon incarnation fused together. Once it's all over, Hyrule is in a semi-permanent state of temporal and dimensional flux, and Zelda realizes her family is dead and ascends the throne as transient space queen.

Hire me Nintendo.

This, but unironically. I want a scene where all the Ganons fuse together, and start to turn back into Demise, only to have Ganondorf, the universe's most headstrong motherfuck, just kind of eat Demise from inside and turn back into some kind of ridiculous ur-Ganon.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Zelda Generations

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Zelda Boom.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

OB_Juan posted:

I would say no, but the dog makes it worth it. Regardless if you enjoy TPHD or not get Wind Waker HD afterwards for even better Zelda adventuring.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013
Twilight Princess is great and you should play it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Someone overlaid the map with the one on the gamepad screen from the first gameplay reveal ages ago.

I can't wait to explore the coast! :swoon: I really hope there's a swimming mechanic even close to the one in Majora's Mask.

This map is giving me Zelda 1 vibes with the position of the ocean on the east/southeast coasts and that lake conspicuously placed in the middle south area. Could just be a coincidence though, I dunno. I like the theory that it's post-flood WW Hyrule.

I haven't been this excited about a new Zelda game in years, holy poo poo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

I don't know, man. Mario went to capital-S Space for the Galaxy series and after the fact I kinda felt like they painted themselves into a corner with that move. But then they came out with 3D world and it turns out the answer to "where you go from space" is "back the way you came."

So, probably just a return to form, but better.

What's interesting is that this one is a return to form--just one that's a very long time coming. In a lot of ways, BotW probably represents what they wish they could've done with Zelda in the first place.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Harrow posted:

What's interesting is that this one is a return to form--just one that's a very long time coming. In a lot of ways, BotW probably represents what they wish they could've done with Zelda in the first place.

Speaking of which, I think I heard a rumor that it's a remake of the original Zelda. And another rumor that it's in the "Ganon Wins" timeline.

But enough about that, I wonder if they'll bring the hook/clawshot back? It could be fun.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
They will never stop making Zelda, and that brings me much comfort.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Exclusive Screenshot Proves New Zelda Takes Place Post-Windwaker:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Majestic.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I would say no, but the dog makes it worth it. Regardless if you enjoy TPHD or not get Wind Waker HD afterwards for even better Zelda adventuring.

Charlie Bobson posted:

Twilight Princess is great and you should play it

Well, I already ordered it, so I may as well play it. I watched some friends play through Wind Waker HD. It was good. Wasn't sold on the art style at first, but the facial expressions owned owned owned. We also played a LOT of Hyrule Warriors, which kinda half-counts.

Will report back after playing some.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

OB_Juan posted:

Well, I already ordered it, so I may as well play it. I watched some friends play through Wind Waker HD. It was good. Wasn't sold on the art style at first, but the facial expressions owned owned owned. We also played a LOT of Hyrule Warriors, which kinda half-counts.

Will report back after playing some.

That's the entirety of public opinion on Windwaker's art style prerelease. "Oh that looks so bad and cartoony" until you see it in action and fall in love.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Ammat The Ankh posted:

I want this to be a real game. A Link has to pull the Master Sword to defeat what he thinks is the Big Bad, but by pulling the Master Sword he actually summons/revives/whatevers Ganon, who makes things worse. (People would probably hate it as a "super long intro/prologue" but I think the bait/switch and everything being Links fault and now he has to fix it would be cool)

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Jsor posted:

A lot of people were thinking it was post-drain rather than pre-flood. My personal wild guess was that this Link was a stasis'd Windwaker Link all grown up (since the voice mentions he needs to be Hyrule's light "again" implying it's a previous hero). Though that would raise the question about what happened to New Hyrule.

Pre-flood is possible, I guess, but I'm skeptical of any Zelda ending as a tragedy. It's just not the way the series works. I guess LA was sort of a tragedy? But that game is also a weird tonally different sequel like MM.

My stab at this is that it's actually the furthest along in the timeline on the path that got us the first two NES games. That this one takes place a century or two after Adventure of Link.

My justification for this is that LoZ and AoL take place in a Hyrule that is pretty clearly in serious decline. Like, on the way out as a civilization decline.

Linnaeus
Jan 2, 2013

Arcon posted:

I want this to be a real game. A Link has to pull the Master Sword to defeat what he thinks is the Big Bad, but by pulling the Master Sword he actually summons/revives/whatevers Ganon, who makes things worse. (People would probably hate it as a "super long intro/prologue" but I think the bait/switch and everything being Links fault and now he has to fix it would be cool)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt1NBnq35xY&t=304s

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Arcon posted:

I realize that there are plenty of real-world limitations that prevented them from even trying to attempt something like this, but this would have been perfect in the Oracle pairs. Defeat the big bad of one game, which somehow revives Ganon, and then move on to the other game in your quest to stop him.

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013

Well yeah, that let Ganondorf do more stuff, but he was already a present threat and given enough time could still screw with Hyrule pretty bad

quiggy posted:

I realize that there are plenty of real-world limitations that prevented them from even trying to attempt something like this, but this would have been perfect in the Oracle pairs. Defeat the big bad of one game, which somehow revives Ganon, and then move on to the other game in your quest to stop him.

Yeah something like this would be cool. They could probably do something like that now, given how that last Fire Emblem had its storyline broken up into 2 cart versions and a 3rd DLC-style thing.

Arcon fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jun 24, 2016

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Turn A Zelda

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Heeeeeere's Ganon!!

Also I think it's funny that so much fanart for this has Link running around in his undershorts.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Arcon posted:

this is exactly what happens in ocarina

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Arcon posted:

This is exactly what happens in Hyrule Warriors. The Master Sword is the final seal on Ganondorf's "spirit," which is freed once Link pulls it to fight the invading sorceress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

romanowski posted:

this is exactly what happens in ocarina

Conversely, this makes it very likely to happen in a future Zelda game. The whole "three dungeons, major twist that creates new goal, rest of the game" structure has been a staple since LttP after all, right? :v: