Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Apparently those sea strider things also poop out ore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Three-Phase posted:

On a serious note I have been reading about diving in "overhead environments", basically anywhere where you cannot just swim up to get to the surface. One major killer are silt-outs. A diver kicks up a ton of fine silt even in the entrance area of a cave, cannot see their hand in front of their face, get disoriented (including swimming into a cave instead out of), panic, and run out of air.

If Subnautica added silt-outs that would add a whole new level of danger.

Bonus points if it summons cave crabs.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Finally got the Cyclops built. Highlights include:

• Almost grounding the cyclops immediately due to my constructor thingy being in relatively shallow water
  • Almost wedging the cyclops in a cave (no mater what direction I moved in there was a metal grinding noise and that radar thing pinging like mad, got out eventually)
  • Slamming the cyclops into one of my outer bases and flooding 50% of the base

It's worth noting that only 50% of the base flooded because I installed a bulkhead door that split the base in half. The bulkhead door successfully isolated the flooding.

I checked by opening the bulkhead door and peeking in between the two sections. Unfortunately when I opened the bulkhead door the flooding quickly spread to 100% of the base. I was able to get everything tack-welded back together in time.

We'll get some fan, dehumidifiers, and a pallet of Lysol cans and it'll be back to normal in no time.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 23, 2016

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I have some stupid questions about raising wildlife and Bioreactors, that I haven't been able to find anything but passing comments or vague wording implying it could, or just straight up mixing terms :v: ("I can stack aquariums? Neat!... Oh I can't stack aquariums, because they meant Alien containment. Unless I'm just missing how to-" etc)

Anyways. If you set up a Bio Reactor in a room directly under one with alien containment, DOES it directly feed into it? If so, is it automatic, or does it just link the menu so you can transfer stuff into it without running around separate rooms?

Will egg hatched wildlife breed, or is the only way to get non food fish a one per Egg deal?

Will breeding fish (tiny food fish, or bigger ones if they can) self cap when they hit the containment limit, or will they start killing eachother while trying to surpass the cap? Mostly wondering for mixed wildlife so you don't end up with death/birth timing skewing the population. "You know, I had 10 of one and 10 of the other when I started with this double size containment... Now I've somehow got 3/17"

I've pitched a few questions at the steam forums, but getting a straight answer for what I was actually asking was like pulling teeth. Like trying to get people to not keep wording their answers like I could feed fully grown wildlife to the reactor.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The fish can reproduce up until there are 10 in the tank. You can have a lot more but they stop breeding when there are ten. Each stacked aquarium adds another 10 that can be bred. I don't know about the bioreactor thing.

For my own question, did the sharks and stalkers become more aggressive at some point? I started playing again the other day and they won't leave me alone. The stalkers actively chase me out of the kelp and back to my base. The sharks will just keep bumping into my sub until I leave the area and come back.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

The fish can reproduce up until there are 10 in the tank. You can have a lot more but they stop breeding when there are ten. Each stacked aquarium adds another 10 that can be bred. I don't know about the bioreactor thing.

For my own question, did the sharks and stalkers become more aggressive at some point? I started playing again the other day and they won't leave me alone. The stalkers actively chase me out of the kelp and back to my base. The sharks will just keep bumping into my sub until I leave the area and come back.
Nice to know that Rabbit rays and other cool but harmless things will self populate after tossing a few eggs in. I figured hoping a mixed population would stay balanced unless I personally maintain that was a bit much.

Is there a reason to avoid using the literal aquariums for small food fish? It takes a stacked Multipurpose room for two alien containment, which just holds 20. But you could probably have 30-50 or so small fish in a single room with Aquariums, and room to spare for other stuff. Which would probably make up for any slower breeding speeds, particularly if you want more than one kind of fish.

As for Stalker aggro. While I've not seen sharks, I read yesterday that Stalkers will be extra aggressive if you have a knife in your hands.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Section Z posted:

Nice to know that Rabbit rays and other cool but harmless things will self populate after tossing a few eggs in. I figured hoping a mixed population would stay balanced unless I personally maintain that was a bit much.

Is there a reason to avoid using the literal aquariums for small food fish? It takes a stacked Multipurpose room for two alien containment, which just holds 20. But you could probably have 30-50 or so small fish in a single room with Aquariums, and room to spare for other stuff. Which would probably make up for any slower breeding speeds, particularly if you want more than one kind of fish.

As for Stalker aggro. While I've not seen sharks, I read yesterday that Stalkers will be extra aggressive if you have a knife in your hands.

Fish won't reproduce in the small floor aquariums. This is also why you have to use surface plants if you want a self-renewing food source in your Cyclops.

As for Stalker aggro, most if not all predators were made significantly more agressive in the... machinery update, I think? It wasn't too long ago. The kelp forests aren't too bad, but it turned the grassy plateaus into insane murder arenas. I'm hoping they'll dial it back a little.

It'd be interesting if the knife thing were true, but I can't verify it myself- most of the time I only draw my knife when there's already a stalker after me, and I get blindsided most frequently when picking seed pods with nothing in my hands.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jun 24, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't mind the stalkers so much because I can get down to the rocks and things I want and they swim around up in the kelp. In the grassy plateau on the other hand, the sharks stay down on the ground and won't leave me alone. It's quite annoying.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Cojawfee posted:

Huh, I've been playing this off and on for the last month and I had no clue you could stack rooms. That said, the absolute most frustrating thing to deal with is the lovely habitat placement interface. It always seems impossible to get corridors/rooms lined up where I want them.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Section Z posted:

If you set up a Bio Reactor in a room directly under one with alien containment, DOES it directly feed into it? If so, is it automatic, or does it just link the menu so you can transfer stuff into it without running around separate rooms?

What

WHAT

No, no you cannot set up some terrifying horror house perpetual motion fish dissolver to power you base forever. Who.... thinks of that? Why would you think that was an option? I can't tell if I should be impressed or afraid of your post

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

As a Minecraft player it makes perfect sense to me

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dylguy90 posted:

What

WHAT

No, no you cannot set up some terrifying horror house perpetual motion fish dissolver to power you base forever. Who.... thinks of that? Why would you think that was an option? I can't tell if I should be impressed or afraid of your post

I've seen it mentioned in passing during some google searches, though with silence following any "Wait, really?" questions. Bio Reactor also seems to require being set up in the middle of the room despite their size, so I was wondering if there was any practical reason for that outside of "We want to screw you out of a ladder". Finally, "Self sustaining base" can give the impression of something running itself, as much as just merely the option to run back and forth but still not needing to leave your base for ingredients.

Alas, It sounded too convenient to be true :v:

Reason posted:

The game is kind of graphically choppy is that normal? Is there a fix? Running at 'recommended' graphics quality.

It ran great for me the past few days, but today it's been chopping with hardly anything going on because ???

Loading my file also too waaay longer even with no base built. But when it finally loaded I had a broken life pod... Which slowly went through the repairing animations all by itself.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 24, 2016

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
The game is kind of graphically choppy is that normal? Is there a fix? Running at 'recommended' graphics quality.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
If you stack a fish tank to 2 high, plant kelp in it, infiite free kelp and that rubber pods thing.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Section Z posted:

I've seen it mentioned in passing during some google searches, though with silence following any "Wait, really?" questions. Bio Reactor also seems to require being set up in the middle of the room despite their size, so I was wondering if there was any practical reason for that outside of "We want to screw you out of a ladder". Finally, "Self sustaining base" can give the impression of something running itself, as much as just merely the option to run back and forth but still not needing to leave your base for ingredients.

Alas, It sounded too convenient to be true :v:

You can place ladders on the sides.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

You can place ladders on the sides.

loving sweet, I ran around the room a ton while making test double decker MP rooms but it never wanted to let me put a ladder on those side panels for some reason last I tried, so I just threw it in the middle. (Of course now that I go back and try again, it's being agreeable :v:)

I'm guessing you aren't actually able to attach vertical connectors or hatches to the top/bottom of MP rooms, and I wasn't just having odd snap too occurrences though.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

If the game ever lets you connect an alien habitat to a bio generator, I want a button you press on the generator that opens up a hole in the bottom of the fish tank with like a big blender that starts sucking stuff from the tank down into the reactor

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dylguy90 posted:

If the game ever lets you connect an alien habitat to a bio generator, I want a button you press on the generator that opens up a hole in the bottom of the fish tank with like a big blender that starts sucking stuff from the tank down into the reactor

While we're dreaming, make it play the part from "Powerhouse" they play in Looney Tunes assembly lines scenes :v:

https://youtu.be/r3FLN0iQ9SQ?t=1m15s

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I'd love more Geocide simulators. Factorio is awesome, but it's also not 3d or underwater :v:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Section Z posted:

While we're dreaming, make it play the part from "Powerhouse" they play in Looney Tunes assembly lines scenes :v:

https://youtu.be/r3FLN0iQ9SQ?t=1m15s

Hah, I haven't seen a Looney Tunes in years but I knew exactly what you meant the instant you said it.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh drat I think it's been ten years since I've heard that, but yeah, instantly remembered.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

dylguy90 posted:

Lil' Lisa's Slurry

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"There, I now have an undersea tube where I could survive without ever leaving!... Time to curl up in a fetal position and cry!"

Also medkit dispensers seem super finicky in where they want to let me place them. No... no... no... you'll let me put it there but I don't want to... Oh, I can attach it ONTO The ladder? Sure why not. Baby's first bug report.

I'm glad there's a coral tube nearby because oh huh can't grow coral.

PS: How the gently caress do you deal with explodey fish early on. At least they haven't been instant 100% to dead of late but jesus they will just chase me for loving ever and 90% of the time my first warning about their little pod is them coming out of it right as, or even before, I come into view of it.

Even if I was later in and had wacky space guns, the time it takes to pull it out would probably be too little too late in those cases. Also I've tried knifing the pods after the fact but they seem invulnerable despite "just knife it to destroy it!' comments I've read.

Basically just gently caress caves forever?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The Little Fuckers should only pop once, so I Iike to take my powerglide thing in and just keep going through until I come out in another spot with three or four of them chasing me. Then I go out for air and come back down to loot the cave.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

dylguy90 posted:

The Little Fuckers should only pop once, so I Iike to take my powerglide thing in and just keep going through until I come out in another spot with three or four of them chasing me. Then I go out for air and come back down to loot the cave.

I've had them follow me all the way out and up to the surface since ive still been mostly dealing with 40m tops, when not dipping deeper in creeper vines "well... I can't go any MORE up" *BOOM* "Fuckers."

So basically, zero way to deal with them in the early game except hope you outdistance them when they explode, if you have the luxury of running in the first place. Got it :v: I feel I should be able to throw a boomerang fish in their face making them explode early to solve my problems, like I can with stalkers, who I can outrun regularly anyways if I don't feel like throwing fish at them. Wiki mentioned you can hack up the pods after the fact, but no matter how often I've swung at them they remain intact. Keeping a few around makes sense for if I need the powder, but when I have the luxury of seeing three in a condensed area ahead of time instead of being surprised nope sorry this cave can go gently caress itself.

It was highly surprising when one clipped right through a crashed lifepod to bite me in the face (oh, I can swim through it too... Guess this was just set dressing then), but I'll gladly take any number of stalker bites over dealing with those splodey fish.

EDIT: I admit my opinion is not helped by just having a dim view on kamikaze enemies in general unless it's something where they are the least of your problems like Serious Sam, rather than "hit once? gently caress you". They are never any fun for me, and generally the best justification you ever get for them boils down to ":lol: just don't get hit, risk/reward survival game!"

Section Z fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jun 25, 2016

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Unless they were change, they do have a timer, and turning around will cause them to burn through their timer long before they can get back to you. So I usually just side step them as they get close causing them to overshoot. But yeah, they are pretty dangerous fish in general.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
How do they even breed if the first predator they see causes them to explode.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Cojawfee posted:

How do they even breed if the first predator they see causes them to explode.

Exploding is also their reproductive strategy

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA
Today I had an odd experience where the marker for the escape pod was not actually on the escape pod. It seemed to have glitched into one static position that eventually led me around the Aurora and off the edge of the map, where I had a close encounter of the unexpected kind with a leviathan. :cripes:

Is, uh, is there a way to kill the leviathans, or at least scare them away? That's the second time I've had one uncomfortably close (I was looking for cyclops bridge fragments with one swimming about fifty meters overhead). They swim very quietly for something of their size.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Is your escape pod still near the aurora? Some people have had issues where the escape pod drifts off the map. If you weld the sparking box, it gets fixed and has a gravity anchor.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
This game's the highlight of the summer sale for me.

I've got a base set up with food and water, what would be a good goal to aim for next? I tried venturing to the main ship on my glider but I'm pretty sure I was attacked by the devil himself, so I ran away.

Looking things up on the wiki seems to spoil a lot, so: subs? Are there any super useful base modules I'm missing out on? (I've got alien containment, fabricator, first aid dispenser and some storage).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Just go around and find things like new materials and fragments. Your main tools should be your knife, habitat tool, welder and a scanner. You can make a flashlight but I typically just use the seamoth or the glider as a flash light instead. When you pick up a new material, it will usually tell you what new things in the fabricator just unlocked. Make sure to look through everything in the fabricator. I always forget that you have to make magnesium, not find it.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
I have to say that Subnautica is one of the few games in the survival genre that really resonates with me. Are there any decent LP's on Youtube where the player isn't an insufferable rear end that covers a fourth of the screen with his ugly mug?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Solomonic posted:

Today I had an odd experience where the marker for the escape pod was not actually on the escape pod. It seemed to have glitched into one static position that eventually led me around the Aurora and off the edge of the map, where I had a close encounter of the unexpected kind with a leviathan. :cripes:

Is, uh, is there a way to kill the leviathans, or at least scare them away? That's the second time I've had one uncomfortably close (I was looking for cyclops bridge fragments with one swimming about fifty meters overhead). They swim very quietly for something of their size.

Get yourself a big-rear end submarine and laugh as they treat you like a curiously mobile piece of furniture, and then never venture out of the sub near them again. Scan different biomes for the Cyclops parts, avoiding wide-open areas with not a lot of features but a lot of empty space, as they tend to gravitate around there.

They also appear every now and then in the Mushroom forest, which is great for getting your heartrate up. Your strategy then is to swim far away from them while crying.

Promontory posted:

This game's the highlight of the summer sale for me.

I've got a base set up with food and water, what would be a good goal to aim for next? I tried venturing to the main ship on my glider but I'm pretty sure I was attacked by the devil himself, so I ran away.

Looking things up on the wiki seems to spoil a lot, so: subs? Are there any super useful base modules I'm missing out on? (I've got alien containment, fabricator, first aid dispenser and some storage).

Personally, I go for the Scanner Room and the Seamoth next. The Seamoth is good for moving quickly, exploring depths, and staying underwater for longer, but they will get torn up by Giant Sea Assholes if you go near them. The Scanner Room allows you to establish a base of operations from which you can search the sea floor from the safety of your base, without being attacked by monsters or the Satan of the Sea.

Alternatively, if you're looking for an alternative source of food (location spoiler) You can go to the Island to the South to get fruit and containers to grow plants in. Just swim in a direction parallel to the length of the Aurora and you'll eventually see it rising out of the horizon. Bonus points are there are no sea satans there

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that Subnautica is one of the few games in the survival genre that really resonates with me. Are there any decent LP's on Youtube where the player isn't an insufferable rear end that covers a fourth of the screen with his ugly mug?

I liked the various times Sips played it.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
Incidentally, gently caress having to scavenge for Stalker teeth to get enameled glass. That was the biggest pain in the rear end and after about an hour of searching and getting like two of them, I said "gently caress it" and just console commanded them in, which is like the only thing I'm willing to do that for.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Xanderkish posted:

Incidentally, gently caress having to scavenge for Stalker teeth to get enameled glass. That was the biggest pain in the rear end and after about an hour of searching and getting like two of them, I said "gently caress it" and just console commanded them in, which is like the only thing I'm willing to do that for.

Find some scrap metal, drop it near a Stalker. It'll try picking it up and will break its teeth in the process.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

uXs posted:

Find some scrap metal, drop it near a Stalker. It'll try picking it up and will break its teeth in the process.

Oh I did that. Problem is they don't seem to drop multiple teeth at once, and sometimes stalkers have already picked up a piece of scrap metal by the time you reach them, and dropped their tooth somewhere in the grasses where you can't see them. It's just a massive pain no matter what.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Used to be you can just hold scrap metal near a stalker and they'd go for it and drop a tooth. That's how I always got enough teeth for whatever I did. Now they are really picky about grabbing metal and even then they rarely drop a tooth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch-O
Apr 27, 2009

My goodness!

Sylphosaurus posted:

Vinesauce doesn't do scarecams and isn't very obnoxious IMO. He streams it, though, so expect hour-long episodes.