Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Party Plane Jones posted:

Anybody using an MSI 970 4G shouldn't have any problem with sizing, with the coolers they're roughly equivalent. 1070's thinner by about an inch too.

According to the spec sheets, length is very much an issue if your MSI already is a tight fit:

MSI 970 4G: 269 mm
Gigabyte G1 1070: 286 mm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snuff
Jul 16, 2003
For people in the EU, the British pound is in free fall so you should be able to get a cheaper GPU.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

snuff posted:

For people in the EU, the British pound is in free fall so you should be able to get a cheaper GPU.

That's not how currency works. They are going to have to pay a lot more for their GPU's now.

This is the weirdest launch ever. I don't know what I even want to play on a 1080 but the fact I can't seem to get one makes me determined to get one.

snuff
Jul 16, 2003

particle9 posted:

That's not how currency works. They are going to have to pay a lot more for their GPU's now.

This is the weirdest launch ever. I don't know what I even want to play on a 1080 but the fact I can't seem to get one makes me determined to get one.

Yes it is, if it drops 20% today then you save 20%, long term yes of course they Will adjust prices.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

snuff posted:

Yes it is, if it drops 20% today then you save 20%, long term yes of course they Will adjust prices.

Excuse my ignorance for exchange rates, but if the British Pound drops, how does that help the Euro when it comes to buying power?

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
If you think long term is a few hours to a day sure. And as Rabid says, it has no huge swing on the EU. The British stayed on the pound, which will be at parity with the dollar tomorrow probably. The EU might shift but has no direct 1:1 with the pound. This is the ERM disaster again.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The 400C is very wide, it has plenty of room for any GPU.

Picked up a Corsair 400c to replace my Air 240 today, the MSI 1080 does indeed have plenty of room now :)

Fry's in Sunnyvale had a bunch of EVGA 1070 FE's on the shelf when I was there tonight.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Drakhoran posted:

And what... oh I see, 3DMark is on sale. Cool.

Huh. I was under the impression Firestrike was free.

BrandonLakeTruck
Jan 10, 2004
dog poster its a hell of a ride

Ak Gara posted:

Huh. I was under the impression Firestrike was free.

The demo is free which is how most people run it.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh, cool. Games on sale that I can't run because I'm on the workstation equivalent of an HD7770.... missing the top 1/4 of its clock speed.

On a less salty note, I do note that the only games I *really* care about this year appear to be Doom, Dishonored 2, and DXHR 2. I think there might be a pattern...

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Rabid Snake posted:

Excuse my ignorance for exchange rates, but if the British Pound drops, how does that help the Euro when it comes to buying power?

Because someone in the Euro can buy freely from the UK with no extra import fees or tax, so where 1 euro was worth x pounds yesterday, it's worth y today, so that 1080 might have cost (for example) 700 euros yesterday but can now be bought from the UK for the equivalent of 600 euros today. I don't think reality will be that extreme, but it could if the pound continues to tank.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Seamonster posted:

Tangentially GPU related:

MOTHERFUCKING STEAM SALE

gently caress you bro, i didnt need this today

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

mcbexx posted:

According to the spec sheets, length is very much an issue if your MSI already is a tight fit:

MSI 970 4G: 269 mm
Gigabyte G1 1070: 286 mm

Yeah MSIs are almost always taller and short and most cards are longer. The height was actually more of an issue for me. The notable change this time for the g1 cooler is a normal weight and length - but its still 3 fan length for sure

Fits in my mini itx case with inches to spare so if its tight on your big case FEEL SHAME

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I've been hearing from people that consider the new GTX cards to be a 'rip-off' and are advising people to get an RX480 instead for the price/performance. So this AMD strategy of targeting the budget-conscious could actually work.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

It will probably depreciate less than the currently priced nvidia cards

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
It could work because not everybody owns a 144hz 1440p ultrawide or 4K or even super high refresh rate FHD. The vast majority of people who would consider buying a new graphics card at this very moment are still on regular old 1080p or 1440p monitors @ 60hz. Looking back through the pages here you'll see quite a few people who bought 1070s/1080s and while there is nothing wrong with that in the least, it is NOT even an even remotely accurate picture of the graphics card market as a whole.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Phlegmish posted:

I've been hearing from people that consider the new GTX cards to be a 'rip-off' and are advising people to get an RX480 instead for the price/performance. So this AMD strategy of targeting the budget-conscious could actually work.

Yes if they deliver a $200 290++ that runs cool, it will be a very popular card.

How much it "works" depends on how much money they make off it though

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine

Seamonster posted:

It could work because not everybody owns a 144hz 1440p ultrawide or 4K or even super high refresh rate FHD. The vast majority of people who would consider buying a new graphics card at this very moment are still on regular old 1080p or 1440p monitors @ 60hz. Looking back through the pages here you'll see quite a few people who bought 1070s/1080s and while there is nothing wrong with that in the least, it is NOT even an even remotely accurate picture of the graphics card market as a whole.

I think the Steam survey has 40% on 1080p and less than 5% on over 1440p.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, if people can get off the whole "nvidia = better" thing and look at benchmarks objectively, the 480 looks like it is in the perfect spot for 1080p in terms of price/perf. Of course, take that with a boatload of salt until we see actual benchmarks.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
As long as it meets the bar for 1080p ~60 fps with high - max details in most AAA titles that can get that, it should be a good staple for most gamers that aren't able / willing to spend $1200+ extra for bigger screens / many more pixels and other luxuries. AMD taking on consoles + mid range PC gaming market is a market position that you would think would make them the de facto gaming GPU company out there, but nVidia has had the trump card of winning the scientific computing race with their investments into CUDA and deep learning research.

twxabfn
May 12, 2006

Your last, best hope for ROCK in 300,000 kilometers
I'm waiting for official benches to decide on a 480 vs. 1070 to drive 1080p@120Hz. The fact that the 480 is even in the discussion seems pretty impressive.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Phlegmish posted:

I can conceivably make this argument, but not before benchmarks.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I feel like I am more eager to get my hands on a new card simply because the one I want is out of stock.

Also because I'm about to start playing the two Witcher 3 expansions I want to max out the graphics.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I am waiting on overclocking investigations to see how far ~$250 really goes. Might have to wait for the Sapphires and MSIs to get out of reference hell for that to really happen though.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Does XFX still makes video cards? I don't see them talked about much any more in this thread.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Phlegmish posted:

The biggest problem that I see with AMD's sweet spot strategy is that most of the gamers serious enough to be interested in a ~$200 GPU have already picked up a 290 or 970 at some point over the last 2 years, and even if the 480 is better than a 290 / 970 it's not likely to be enough better to justify switching.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

The biggest problem that I see with AMD's sweet spot strategy is that most of the gamers serious enough to be interested in a ~$200 GPU have already picked up a 290 or 970 at some point over the last 2 years, and even if the 480 is better than a 290 / 970 it's not likely to be enough better to justify switching.

Why would gamers with a $200 budget have bought $250-$350 cards in the past?

That's like saying gamers with a $400 budget have probably already bought a 980Ti, so there's no point in upgrading. That was my budget and no I didn't have a 980Ti. When that level of performance dropped $200 in the form of the 1070, I bit. It's quite probably that there are quite a few people out there with half my disregard for money that have been holding to their $200 budget and are therefore rocking a 280 or 960.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I went home at lunch so that my 1080 and XB271HU weren't sitting on the porch, and now it's even harder to make it through the rest of the work week :(.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Phlegmish posted:

Overall I'm unimpressed with 290-level performance for $200, given that 290s were down around that price before AMD rebranded it as the 390 and added another $100 to the price tag. 8 GB for $250 is even more unimpressive given that you can go out and buy a 390 for that price right now.

It does use less power, but let's not pretend that it's a quantum leap in price-to-performance at its MSRP - actually, it's pretty much a wash. NVIDIA is actually increasing price-to-performance: even at the inflated prices being asked for the 1070 it still performs like a 980 Ti that cost 50% more a few months ago, and once the 1080 is in stock for more than three minutes at a time it will be a 20% bump in performance at the 980 Ti's former pricepoint.

The RX480 really needs to be hitting 980/290X level speeds for $200, and the RX480X (XT version) needs to be pushing close to the 980 Ti at under $300 when they release it, apples to apples (no overclocks). And I'll need to see benchmarks before I believe that one.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jun 24, 2016

FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

Mr E posted:

I went home at lunch so that my 1080 and XB271HU weren't sitting on the porch, and now it's even harder to make it through the rest of the work week :(.

Ordered on "back order" on the 21st, but my MSI 1080 Gaming X arrived at my office today, so not too bad. Most assuredly ready for 5 o'clock to roll around.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I was planning on buying an RX 480 on day one. Someone local is selling a used MSI 980 Ti for $250. Should I just buy that instead?

Edit: Contacting seller ASAP.

Edit 2: Forget it, he won't let me see it run first.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jun 24, 2016

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Yes.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Yep. Nvidia used card fire sales always deliver on value.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

PBCrunch posted:

I was planning on buying an RX 480 on day one. Someone local is selling a used MSI 980 Ti for $250. Should I just buy that instead?
If someone local was selling a 980 Ti for $250 I'd buy it and sell my 1070. So yeah, I'd definitely jump on that.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

My MSI Gaming X 1080 showed up today, and it is definitely a beast of a card. I wasn't expecting it to be so much bigger than the 970 it's replacing. I've got a 10 year old Lian-Li case, and this is the first card I've owned that forced me to take out the side fan. Fortunately the power connectors had enough room.

Performance so far is amazing as expected. Firestrike Ultra score went from 2624 to 5259. Played about 10 minutes of Witcher 3 at 1440p ultra settings with hair works on, and never saw fraps dip below 60fps.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Newegg seems to be well stocked on non Fe msi 1070

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Twerk from Home posted:

If you look at the steam hardware survey (http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/) and ignore mobile and integrated graphics, the GTX 750 Ti and the GTX 760 are the 3rd and 4th most popular graphics cards. Then comes the AMD Radeon R9 200 Series followed by the GTX 660 and 650. There are a lot of people out there on old midgrade cards.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I upgraded to a 1070 from a 750 Ti. :v:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Lungboy posted:

Because someone in the Euro can buy freely from the UK with no extra import fees or tax, so where 1 euro was worth x pounds yesterday, it's worth y today, so that 1080 might have cost (for example) 700 euros yesterday but can now be bought from the UK for the equivalent of 600 euros today. I don't think reality will be that extreme, but it could if the pound continues to tank.

Thanks for the info. Reminds me back in 2009 when the Canadian Dollar was worth more then the US Dollar and I was curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

SlayVus posted:

Does XFX still makes video cards? I don't see them talked about much any more in this thread.
They make AMD cards, of course not :v:

No, more seriously, they've kind of lost their darling status after they changed their double lifetime warranty, I think.