Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Someone on Reddit posted a thread to say that they bought an 8GB RX480 at a local Microcenter for $240. At that price premium I think I'll pick up the 4GB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

We're finally seeing 1070 MSRP cards at $400. They're out of stock but it's nice to see.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Naffer posted:

Someone on Reddit posted a thread to say that they bought an 8GB RX480 at a local Microcenter for $240. At that price premium I think I'll pick up the 4GB.

If you game at 1440p or higher I recommend the 8GB version. Only reason why I bought the 1070 is for a stop gap between Vega. My old 4gb R9 290 can't handle Ultra Wide (3440x1440p) well. Perfect for 1080 though.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

Naffer posted:

Wait, you can buy them before the reviews are out?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rabid Snake posted:

We're finally seeing 1070 MSRP cards at $400. They're out of stock but it's nice to see.

I thought msrp is $379?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Han Nehi posted:

Wait, you can buy them before the reviews are out?

If they gently caress up and put them out on the shelves early, sure.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Rabid Snake posted:

The MSRP is $379.

Bleh Maestro
Aug 30, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

If they gently caress up and put them out on the shelves early, sure.

Love that

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I thought msrp is $379?

You're right but I expect the $379 price point is for the old 290 reference type of fans which are loud and terrible for cooling.

$400 for a decent after market cooler isn't bad. I hope the 480 kicks butt so Nvidia will finally offer better cards at lower cost though. Charging $70 more for a founders edition is absurd. I just wish AMD released a top end card but I got to wait for vega.

My ultrawide freesync monitor doesn't play well with Nvidia :(

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

I mean, there's another possibility: the guy could be an employee who jacked one

Wouldn't be the first RX 480 that fell off the back of the truck. Actually it seems to be happening quite regularly, which is probably good news for availability

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Rabid Snake posted:

Faster than I thought too. That was the thing that bugged me the most was 1070 release pricing.

So June 10th release, June 13th AIB release, we're at 11 days now. After all the fuss it looks like the "2-3 week" estimate will probably be correct on reasonable levels of stock. Time sure slows down when you actually want the card lol

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

Paul MaudDib posted:

I mean, there's another possibility: the guy could be an employee who jacked one

Wouldn't be the first RX 480 that fell off the back of the truck. Actually it seems to be happening quite regularly, which is probably good news for availability

Or really bad news! :v:

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Faster than I thought too. That was the thing that bugged me the most was 1070 release pricing.

So June 10th release, June 13th AIB release, we're at 11 days now. After all the fuss it looks like the "2-3 week" estimate will probably be correct on reasonable levels of stock. Time sure slows down when you actually want the card lol

PAPER

LAUNCH

:ssj:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I dunno, a theft of 10000 GPUs would be pretty noticeable

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Rabid Snake posted:

If you game at 1440p or higher I recommend the 8GB version. Only reason why I bought the 1070 is for a stop gap between Vega. My old 4gb R9 290 can't handle Ultra Wide (3440x1440p) well. Perfect for 1080 though.

I'm actually still using a dell 2005fpw (1680 x 1050) so I'm pretty far from ultrawide 1440p. There seems to be some buzz that the launch 480's will all be 8GB, probably to help with the profit margin a bit.

Green Gloves
Mar 3, 2008
Did I make the right choice to get a 1070 + Dell U3415w or should I have went with LG 34UC88 + 8GB 480?

Pretty awesome that either combo is around $800 for me.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Overall I'm unimpressed with 290-level performance for $200, given that 290s were down around that price before AMD rebranded it as the 390 and added another $100 to the price tag. 8 GB for $250 is even more unimpressive given that you can go out and buy a 390 for that price right now.

It does use less power, but let's not pretend that it's a quantum leap in price-to-performance at its MSRP - actually, it's pretty much a wash. NVIDIA is actually increasing price-to-performance: even at the inflated prices being asked for the 1070 it still performs like a 980 Ti that cost 50% more a few months ago, and once the 1080 is in stock for more than three minutes at a time it will be a 20% bump in performance at the 980 Ti's former pricepoint.

The RX480 really needs to be hitting 980/290X level speeds for $200, and the RX480X (XT version) needs to be pushing close to the 980 Ti at under $300 when they release it, apples to apples (no overclocks). And I'll need to see benchmarks before I believe that one.

The 290s were a real outlier, and compared to the entire rest of the market the 480 is a very good price-performance card. Those 390s for that price are almost assuredly there in part because that's where that level of performance goes now with the 480 incoming. You may as well say the 390 didn't raise the asking price for the 290 because its reviews dragged the 290's price up. For everyone who didn't do enough investigation to know exactly how good a card those aftermarket 290s were, the 480 is a really well positioned card (and the 470 is likely to be even better).

Also for the non-US world, apparently the serious 290 fire sales didn't really happen, as well. So there's a whole bunch of buyers out there.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

What kind of overclocks are people hitting on 1080s? Mine seems to be doing fine at 2010 core, not sure how far I want to try and push it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

HUMAN FISH posted:

I think the Steam survey has 40% on 1080p and less than 5% on over 1440p.

Steam only knows about the scaled resolution of the screen - I run my 4k screen at 150% scaling on the desktop so it shows as 2560x1440

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK

Not sure if this is a good place to ask. Installed my 1070 a couple days ago and performed a benchmark which scored over 10k. Today I tried two different times because I noticed some slowdown in areas of Mirror's edge catalyst that I didn't have the night previously. They both scroed quite a bit lower than I thought they would. As far as I can tell neither my CPU or GPU are throttling. CPU will hit a high of 60c at most and GPU hasn't gone above 72.

This is what I'm currently running I guess it's possible the CPU could be a bottle neck?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

People on reddit were saying that the last few builds of nvidia drivers have had a bug where vsync will turn back on in control panel after you reboot. Maybe that?

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

fozzy fosbourne posted:

People on reddit were saying that the last few builds of nvidia drivers have had a bug where vsync will turn back on in control panel after you reboot. Maybe that?

drat AMD and your crappy drivers! :argh:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Horn posted:

drat AMD and your crappy drivers! :argh:

This latest driver (368.39) is loving godawful. I'm on dual 760s right now and I had to roll back to the previous driver just to get basic stability back. It was crashing randomly, even doing basic poo poo in Windows (like playing Youtube videos) and poo poo. Swapping back solved all of that instantly and things are back to normal. There's something seriously fucky going on with 368.39, and the 10xx series is stuck with it.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Gonkish posted:

This latest driver (368.39) is loving godawful. I'm on dual 760s right now and I had to roll back to the previous driver just to get basic stability back. It was crashing randomly, even doing basic poo poo in Windows (like playing Youtube videos) and poo poo. Swapping back solved all of that instantly and things are back to normal. There's something seriously fucky going on with 368.39, and the 10xx series is stuck with it.

I told you amd drivers suck nobody ever listens

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Maybe nVidia will put out another iCafe driver 'soon.' It's only been *ten loving months* since the last one.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Why wouldn't you want g-sync turned on? :confused:

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Vsync, my man

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I unfucked it by switching everything to application controlled. Everything good now.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

My 1080 Armor is whisper quiet for the most part and my XB271HU looks to have no errors. Do I need to do anything besides turn on GSync in the control panel and turn off Vsync in games to take advantage of it?

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Just tried out moonlight app

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

So does anyone have a subscription to SemiAccurate and able to tell us what this is about?

Trying to divine meaning from the comment thread, it sounds like Nvidia is running into some kind of supply issue at TSMC, but it would be nice to have some details.

Of course Charlie Demerjian is in some respect Nvidias answer to Kyle Bennett so grain of salt and all that.

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.
So Newegg just put up some new 399.99 Gigabyte GTX 1070's, I think I managed to pick one up. Dual fan cooler instead of triple fan, but from what I've seen any adequate cooler will be more than enough to clock it as high as it can go.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
So this is a thing?

http://wccftech.com/amd-rx-480-shipments-hit-us-stores/

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
any 480's been announced with dvi yet?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Drakhoran posted:

So does anyone have a subscription to SemiAccurate and able to tell us what this is about?

Trying to divine meaning from the comment thread, it sounds like Nvidia is running into some kind of supply issue at TSMC, but it would be nice to have some details.

Of course Charlie Demerjian is in some respect Nvidias answer to Kyle Bennett so grain of salt and all that.

Yeah, but Demerjian seems to be.... for lack of a better term, "less wrong" most of the time?

I too, am deeply curious, though.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
Anyone know when there will be regular stock available for gtx 1080's in Canada? Everything is out of stock and it is super annoying and I don't get why Nvidia wants to make its customers unhappy.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Speaking as a scrub who plays TF2 at its lowest settings on a 6 year-old laptop at 1366x768, I'm sort of excited for this 480. I even like the look of it compared to the 1070/1080.

I really hope it's somewhat comparable to the 1070 and be below AUD$300

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe

Smiles posted:

Speaking as a scrub who plays TF2 at its lowest settings on a 6 year-old laptop at 1366x768, I'm sort of excited for this 480. I even like the look of it compared to the 1070/1080.

I really hope it's somewhat comparable to the 1070 and be below AUD$300

I wouldn't hold your breath for it to be all that near the 1070. It's looking like it'll be right around the 980, with rumors maybe indicating that there will be some higher clocked cards at a higher price. For 1080p gaming, and for the price, it still looks to be a fantastic value proposition though. Can't wait for the reviews.

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Lungboy posted:

Because someone in the Euro can buy freely from the UK with no extra import fees or tax, so where 1 euro was worth x pounds yesterday, it's worth y today, so that 1080 might have cost (for example) 700 euros yesterday but can now be bought from the UK for the equivalent of 600 euros today. I don't think reality will be that extreme, but it could if the pound continues to tank.
Hardware is priced in USD by the suppliers to UK retailers. If the pound tanks, the costs will go up for the retailers and their customers, so I wouldn't expect any bargains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Mr E posted:

My 1080 Armor is whisper quiet for the most part and my XB271HU looks to have no errors. Do I need to do anything besides turn on GSync in the control panel and turn off Vsync in games to take advantage of it?

I thought Vsync needs to be on in games for gsync to work.