Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Arcon posted:

I want this to be a real game. A Link has to pull the Master Sword to defeat what he thinks is the Big Bad, but by pulling the Master Sword he actually summons/revives/whatevers Ganon, who makes things worse. (People would probably hate it as a "super long intro/prologue" but I think the bait/switch and everything being Links fault and now he has to fix it would be cool)

Isn't that literally the intro cinematic to Four Swords (or FSA, can't recall)? Link pulls the sword and it releases Vaati?

ComposerGuy posted:

My stab at this is that it's actually the furthest along in the timeline on the path that got us the first two NES games. That this one takes place a century or two after Adventure of Link.

My justification for this is that LoZ and AoL take place in a Hyrule that is pretty clearly in serious decline. Like, on the way out as a civilization decline.

That was my other guess. Someone mentioned a while ago that Link being in stasis for 100 years mirrors Zelda being asleep for 100 years. That and while the cel shaded look (and Koroks) is superficially Wind Waker-y, they're really driving home the Zelda 1 parallels in the marketing. Not to mention Link looks like ALTTP Link with slightly lighter hair and a ponytail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
I could easily see Nintendo creating a fourth timeline path with this game. If they're on board with how wacky it is to have three, I buy that they may keep pushing it.

Case in point: the timeline features alternate paths where characters directly change events, a la Terminator / Dragonball Z, but it also has just straight up parallel universes that exist without story evidence (OOT Link can succeed or fail). So it's already no holds barred.

e: I say this as someone who doesn't have a lot of vested interest in timeline coherence, just saying I think it's already pretty silly and will probably become even more silly.

coffeecup fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 25, 2016

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
A part of me wishes they would go full Fire Emblem and have a bunch of tiny feuding successor kingdoms springing up in the ruins of Old Hyrule

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

"Link pulls the Master Sword to defeat evil, makes everything worse" is also the plot of Hyrule Warriors.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Raserys posted:

A part of me wishes they would go full Fire Emblem and have a bunch of tiny feuding successor kingdoms springing up in the ruins of Old Hyrule

Adventure of Link did this, sort of...and then it was never mentioned again because everyone hated Adventure of Link (except me :( ).

From the instruction booklet, which I STILL own, Impa lays this knowledge down:

"Link, the time has come when I must tell you the legend of Zelda handed down in Hyrule. Long ago, when Hyrule was one country, a great ruler maintained the peace using the Triforce."

The area you play the game in is only "Northern Hyrule" (and an island off the coast), but it's loving huge and the palaces are actually intended as separate places once occupied by various countries that sprang up in Hyrule's decline (though they, as well, are pretty much gone).

ComposerGuy fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 25, 2016

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I would say no, but the dog makes it worth it. Regardless if you enjoy TPHD or not get Wind Waker HD afterwards for even better Zelda adventuring.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who refers to wolf link as 'the dog'

Moose-Alini posted:

They will never stop making Zelda, and that brings me much comfort.

What effect will the brexit have on Hyrule's economy?!?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I really don't get how people keep thinking it's "Pre-Flood" Hyrule. We know the Great Flood was around the time of Ocarina, and it involved people running for their lives to the mountain peaks while bad poo poo was still actively going down. Not to mention the Flood also froze Hyrule in time intact at the moment it occurred.

Just looking at the Temple of Time you can tell whatever happened here was over a long time ago.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I keep seeing the phrase "Pre-flood" and it bothers me because there's a word for that: antediluvian

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

ikanreed posted:

I keep seeing the phrase "Pre-flood" and it bothers me because there's a word for that: antediluvian

there's a word for you: nerd

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ammat The Ankh posted:

there's a word for you: nerd

uh yeah

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

romanowski posted:

this is exactly what happens in ocarina

Silver Falcon posted:

This is exactly what happens in Hyrule Warriors. The Master Sword is the final seal on Ganondorf's "spirit," which is freed once Link pulls it to fight the invading sorceress.

Wind Waker as well they say that Ganon's powers are only fully released now that you pulled out the sword.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Ammat The Ankh posted:

Exclusive Screenshot Proves New Zelda Takes Place Post-Windwaker:

loving lol

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Wind waker link stabbing ganon in the forehead is the single best thing to ever come out of this series.

Attack!
Jul 16, 2013
I think post-flood makes the most sense, with Calamity Ganon causing destruction from his entombment in rock, and considering the tradition of withdrawing the Master Sword and empowering Ganon, those pics might be hilariously correct. Factor in the koroks and Windwaker aesthetic and I think that's what's up.

I also think thematically the Hero of Time works best for the Link in this one, with his "Hero of Time" moniker and lone wanderer vibe vs Windwker Link's family and group oriented vibe. I also hope it's the Hero of Time so I'm biased. The blue shirt in the trailers and promo definitely evokes WW Link's casual clothes.

How awesome would it be to continue his thread of looking for Navi and leading him back to Termina as an adult? I know it's been mentioned in this thread; it would blow fans minds and allow them to take the series off the rails again for another sequel. Termina 100 years in the future, where 100 years before Link had started another tradition of Legendary Heroes.

I've been hoping for a spiritual sequel to Twilight Princess in that timeline, but maybe in the future.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
I thought the Hero of Time was a skeleton man who teaches moves now? Or is that a different HoT from a different timeline?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I miss seeing hours of early game footage as played by a blood-thirsty asian woman.
Can't wait for 2017

Attack!
Jul 16, 2013

Overemotional Robot posted:

I thought the Hero of Time was a skeleton man who teaches moves now? Or is that a different HoT from a different timeline?

BotW seems like it's in the WW timeline; that was in the TP timeline. I think it'd be cool if they're merging all the timelines though.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

What it's an all new timeline where, instead of "the hero is defeated", child OOT Link is like "this shits a trap" and decides to gently caress off with the stones and Ocarina and never opens the Sacred Realm?

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

BurntCornMuffin posted:

What it's an all new timeline where, instead of "the hero is defeated", child OOT Link is like "this shits a trap" and decides to gently caress off with the stones and Ocarina and never opens the Sacred Realm?

I think this is the equivalent of what happens in the child timeline, except that Link would now have the stones too.

coffeecup
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah Child Link tattles on Ganondorf. I think I read somewhere that what follows is the flashback in TP: his sentencing by the sages and banishment to the Twilight Realm

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Szmitten posted:

Turn A Zelda

The most OP item is the shovel. You dig and who knows what you'll find? There's the Fire Rod, just chilling in the ground for thousands of years. Oh, hey, there's the Spinner. And there's the Bombos Medallion!

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
How could it be OoT Link in the WW timeline? WW is in the adult timeline, meaning Link got sent back to his childhood after defeating Ganon, right?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont
legitimizing the timeline of Zelda is the worst thing Nintendo has ever done. Who cares when and where it takes place, it looks like a good fun game and that's what matters

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

All people really wanted was a basic chronology, too. Literally "this game came after this one" in one line would have been totally acceptable to most people.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

They probably had an intern come up with that timeline and they really don't give a poo poo.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I like Zelda as more of a Mad Max sort of way.

Each of them are separate and can be enjoyed on their own and you shouldn't worry too much about what came before or what comes after.

Separate storys, one Link

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
5.5 hours into TPHD: Game is good, gently caress bomb puzzles.

Hihohe posted:

I like Zelda as more of a Mad Max sort of way.

Each of them are separate and can be enjoyed on their own and you shouldn't worry too much about what came before or what comes after.

Separate storys, one Link

I do kinda like this.

Also, Hyrule Warriors had corssovers to (I think) all the timelines. Maybe at that point the timestream poo poo the bed, and now we're playing Mad Link: Hero Road

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

The Dave posted:

They probably had an intern come up with that timeline and they really don't give a poo poo.

Let's be real, they came up with the timeline as a marketing strategy for Skyward Sword, because then they could market SS as "the first one". Then they threw together the rest of the timeline which ultimately didn't matter because it didn't affect SS's place.

The entire "hero fails" timeline makes no drat sense. Failing isn't a legitimate ending option OoT. If you count the player not finishing the game as "failing" then every single game in the series needs a "failure" timeline split. The entire failure timeline was made as an overcompensating answer to a few games which didn't fit neatly into place.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Febreeze posted:

Let's be real, they came up with the timeline as a marketing strategy for Skyward Sword, because then they could market SS as "the first one". Then they threw together the rest of the timeline which ultimately didn't matter because it didn't affect SS's place.

Agreed 100%. Would use the 100 emoticon if I could. (... Can I?)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
So is it worth getting Hyrule Warriors for the Wii U? The differences between the base game and the 3DS Legends version seem like night and day. Is it even fun as a musou game, given that usually 50-75% of the fun in those games is the particular franchise being used.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Febreeze posted:

The entire "hero fails" timeline makes no drat sense. Failing isn't a legitimate ending option OoT. If you count the player not finishing the game as "failing" then every single game in the series needs a "failure" timeline split. The entire failure timeline was made as an overcompensating answer to a few games which didn't fit neatly into place.

You "fail" every time you die. The player has the option to come back but Link as a character doesn't. If we're going to have a convoluted time travel mechanic anyway than it makes perfect sense for there to be a "failure" timeline. Just because we don't experience it doesn't mean it didn't happen and it offers an elegant solution to any games that don't immediately fit into the Adult and Child timelines.

Complaining about a third timeline is just as silly as complaining about having an official timeline at all. It's fiction. Roll with it.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
If you are invested in video game stories you need to see a therapist

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

whaley posted:

If you are invested in video game stories you need to see a therapist

Why though?

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

HIJK posted:

You "fail" every time you die. The player has the option to come back but Link as a character doesn't. If we're going to have a convoluted time travel mechanic anyway than it makes perfect sense for there to be a "failure" timeline. Just because we don't experience it doesn't mean it didn't happen and it offers an elegant solution to any games that don't immediately fit into the Adult and Child timelines.

Complaining about a third timeline is just as silly as complaining about having an official timeline at all. It's fiction. Roll with it.

If when link dies it creates a timeline, doesn't that still make a failure timeline in every other game? But only OoT has one? There's no logic to it. Because it wasn't thought out, it was thrown together hastily for a marketing push.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Febreeze posted:

If when link dies it creates a timeline, doesn't that still make a failure timeline in every other game? But only OoT has one? There's no logic to it. Because it wasn't thought out, it was thrown together hastily for a marketing push.

Of course it was put together for a marketing push. The developers came out themselves and told everyone not to, you know, take it too seriously, because each game is more or less conceived as a separate entity that's loosely connected by the character. Zelda did not start out as an attempt to tell one long continuous epic story. That came later and as a result of changing expectations due to other videogame franchises connecting their games into one big universe.

So maybe don't overthink it too much because it was never intended to hold up under heavy scrutiny. Who cares if the timeline isn't logical? We're talking about a character that rides birds and talking boats, manipulates time and weather, can go from adulthood to childhood at will, meets literal fairies, and has been personally chosen by the gods to defend Hyrule against evil.

I don't think that the timeline is the most pressing concern if we're going to talk about "things that don't make sense in Zelda."

HIJK fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jun 25, 2016

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Febreeze posted:

It's obviously because so many players gave up in the water temple.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Febreeze posted:

I mean, it's possible that there are a billion timelines for a myriad of possible outcomes in each game, but we only see the ones something interesting happens in.

Either way, I like the timeline, but liking Zelda in a Mad Max style way is fine too.

Zelda started off as a series with a clear timeline, it's only around WW that it started getting really confusing and murky. I appreciate them trying to tie it together, even if it was a marketing ploy. But it's also valid to just treat all the series with clear timelines between them separately and not try to connect those individual stories.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Febreeze posted:

Maybe there is, and Nintendo just hasn't made those games yet

What if this game is in the failure timeline of Wind Waker

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Jsor posted:

Zelda started off as a series with a clear timeline, it's only around WW that it started getting really confusing and murky. I appreciate them trying to tie it together, even if it was a marketing ploy. But it's also valid to just treat all the series with clear timelines between them separately and not try to connect those individual stories.

Yeah, it was all pretty straightforward for the first 15ish years of the franchise.

AoL is a direct continuation of LoZ. Same dude about five years later. LttP is an ancestor. About a hundred years back or so. LA follows on. OoT is the "first" one...

...and then it gets screwy.

You know, looking back, Nintendo had a serious hard-on for making new Zelda games the "FIRST" ones (i.e. the furthest back in the timeline) from LttP onward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

pentyne posted:

So is it worth getting Hyrule Warriors for the Wii U? The differences between the base game and the 3DS Legends version seem like night and day. Is it even fun as a musou game, given that usually 50-75% of the fun in those games is the particular franchise being used.

We played it, it was a lot of fun. My roomate hadn't ever played a musou game, but was a big Zelda fan, and ended up loving it.