Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aurune
Jun 17, 2006

OhsH posted:

it looks like simraceway has both lo206 for rentals as well as rotax rentals, make a day, go check em out!

They rent Junior Rotax karts. The track is fun and the karts are (mostly) well maintained. They have a series of 3 classes they want you to go thru before they just turn you loose on test days but the coaching they give is actually pretty good. So, I think it's worth it. They also run a endurance races from time to time and they have a Arrive & Drive school kart class.

Edit: If you buy your own senior rotax, there is no school requirement. However, you will either need to learn how to wrench on it yourself or hire a guy. So factor that in to the cost.

Aurune fucked around with this message at 05:24 on May 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Only watched a lap and a half but it looks to be right where a DE1/DE2 student should be. Consistently hitting your marks on the student line. Now just play it back at 120% speed and do it in real life.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES
I did a track day with Oxbrain at The Ridge Motorsports park on Saturday to shake down my spec miata. It was a pretty fun day and got quicker the more I got used to the car. I still need to find a few seconds to be able to stick with the midpack guys around here. I definitely need to go through the shifter turret since I had some issues shifting into 3rd and general notchyness in other gears.

Here it is with it's new paint job. I'll get my decals on by next week. I'm trying to decide if I should paint the windshield frame and hardtop red as well. I'll probably just leave it white for the rest of the season though.

I got some in car video. This is the last and fastest session of the day. I also get passed by a ridiculous ACR Viper on the 2nd or 3rd lap. Feel free to comment on my lovely lines and what I can do about them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YeIjtf0DL4g

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):

ilkhan posted:

Scheduled July 10th for thunderhill as my first newbie track day. Gonna be hot.

Just signed up for this too! Second time at Thunderhill for me. I'll be the dude in the blue 94 m edition Miata. Probably #33

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Anyone running with World Racing League at Atlanta Motorsport Park this weekend? Looks like it'll be a hot weekend but the track looks like a lot of fun.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Just signed up for this too! Second time at Thunderhill for me. I'll be the dude in the blue 94 m edition Miata. Probably #33
Sweet! Green mustang, #256. In the track babies group.

RapeWhistle
May 26, 2009
How do most budget racing teams with multiple vehicle expense contributors usually handle legal ownership and such?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

RapeWhistle posted:

How do most budget racing teams with multiple vehicle expense contributors usually handle legal ownership and such?

In our case we have a team captain that owns the shop, trailer and hauling rig. Another legally owns the race car. Two of us legally don't own poo poo but pay an amount into an account every year that is used for consumables and race entry fees. Honestly for us it just kind of happened this way and wasn't discussed.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Ok, got no answers in the questions thread.

What do people do when they want to monitor vitals (oil temp, oil press, water temp) on the track? I want cheap, easy to install, and mostely reliable.

This is a civic track car. It can't be expensive.

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009
I have a triple gauge pod and 3 gauges for that. Oil temp, oil pressure, water temp. I used AEM gauges.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy sensors and put them in?

Buy individual sensors and gauges of whatever you feel is of appropriate price/accuracy, mount them somewhere in the cabin. Put electrical tape where poo poo starts to go south.

Or, buy individual sensors of whatever you feel is of appropriate price/accuracy, mount a discrete embedded system that will flash lights at you when poo poo starts to go south.

Or, buy individual sensors of whatever you feel is of appropriate price/accuracy, pipe that poo poo into your standalone ECU, and then plug in an android tablet or RacePak with programmable screens, LEDs, whatever, and have it do a thing when there is a danger to the manifold.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Cheap and easy to install? Normally open switches for pressure and temperature set to go closed at some reasonably "OH poo poo!" value, wired in parallel, to a big red light on the dashboard. Light goes on, shut down car.

I really do like the Longacre AccuTech SMi gauges though.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I think individual gauges are going to be the cheapest and easiest. Some of the prosport stuff is pretty cheap, like under $150 for oil temp, pressure and water temp.

Alarms/warning lights are nice, but stuff that includes that is more expensive unless you have some way of setting up your own idiot lights.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

Ziploc posted:

Ok, got no answers in the questions thread.

What do people do when they want to monitor vitals (oil temp, oil press, water temp) on the track? I want cheap, easy to install, and mostely reliable.

This is a civic track car. It can't be expensive.

We have individual gauges for gas, water temp and I think oil pressure all mounted in the center console right above our switches. The gauges are for glancing at when you have time during the lap. Right under the tach we have bright loving warning LED lights for oil pressure, water pressure, water temp and fuel empty.

Works great and if you don't feel like checking the gauges you don't have to. Anything important will shine in your face.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Phone posted:

Buy sensors and put them in?

Buy individual sensors and gauges of whatever you feel is of appropriate price/accuracy, mount them somewhere in the cabin. Put electrical tape where poo poo starts to go south.

Or, buy individual sensors of whatever you feel is of appropriate price/accuracy, mount a discrete embedded system that will flash lights at you when poo poo starts to go south.

Or, buy individual sensors of whatever you feel is of appropriate price/accuracy, pipe that poo poo into your standalone ECU, and then plug in an android tablet or RacePak with programmable screens, LEDs, whatever, and have it do a thing when there is a danger to the manifold.

These are good suggestions. But I was looking for brand recommendations.

NinjaTech
Sep 30, 2003

do you have any PANTIES

Ziploc posted:

These are good suggestions. But I was looking for brand recommendations.

I have Autometer Ultra-lite gauges for water temp and oil pressure in my spec miata. They seem to work pretty well. The water temp sensor is Tee'd into the coolant hose that goes to the back of the head and the oil sensor is on a remote T with the stock sensor.

https://amzn.com/B0009RSYCU

https://amzn.com/B00062YXI2

NinjaTech fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jun 25, 2016

I drive a BBW
Jun 2, 2008
Fun Shoe
I started using Speedhut gauges recently. Really impressed so far.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

NinjaTech posted:

I have Autometer Ultra-lite gauges for water temp and oil pressure in my spec miata. They seem to work pretty well. The water temp sensor is Tee'd into the coolant hose that goes to the back of the head and the oil sensor is on a remote T with the stock sensor.

https://amzn.com/B0009RSYCU

https://amzn.com/B00062YXI2

Running autometer as well, seems to be the go-to gauge for a lot of chump/lemons/wrl teams

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Hi everyone. I need a recommendation.

So I autocross my 2015 WRX in STX/STU. I had these great tennis shoes that were literally 7 years old that I used for it. They had great pedal feel as they were completely worn to poo poo. Unfortunately during a hike they finally fell apart and I had to throw them away. So now I need a replacement for racing. I want to get something closer to racing shoes, but I don't know anything about them and they seem extremely expensive. Since I don't do any FIA regulated events, it seems like fire retardant racing shoes is overkill. I went to a bunch of stores today to see if I could find something that might be able to find something with good pedal feel, and the closest thing I could find were ultralight running shoes. They seemed a little wide, though. Now I'm thinking of these wresting shoes. They're very narrow, cheap, and flexible. I used to do wresting when I was in school and it seems like a good compromise. Any recommendations or feedback would be appreciated. My buget cap is around $150.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
With a $150 budget there are lots of SFI rated shoes that fit your budget.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wrestling shoes are decent if you're not looking at doing racing. Look into Puma Speedcats, as well.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh
IMO chucks or other canvas shoes with thin soles work best, and are cheap. I don't wear them for courseworking but they are great for pedal feel.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Looking at some of these suggestions, my impression of racing shoes being expensive stems mostly from not knowing anything but the name brand stuff. Simpson, Alpine Stars, Sparco etc. I just had to look a little harder. Thanks. Those Pumas look pretty close to what I was after.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Getting anxious yet? Be nice if it cooled down a little for Sat. Im seeing a projected high of 88, which will be a little cooler than the rest of this week at least.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I've gone through a few pairs of speedcats, but I actually like a bit wider sole for my pedal layout (guessing yours is fairly similar).. My thin soled new balance "minimus" running shoes are probably my favorite right now, but some cheap nike sneakers I have are pretty good too. I could use a lower seat and steering wheel extension, so the thinner the shoes the better for me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ilkhan posted:

Getting anxious yet? Be nice if it cooled down a little for Sat. Im seeing a projected high of 88, which will be a little cooler than the rest of this week at least.

You guys are lucky as hell with this weather.

I haven't done Thill since the major redesign, but the only really scary part is the turn before the main straight. It doesn't look scary, but if you eat oversteer it will be into the beginning of the concrete wall. Everywhere else has a huge amount of run-off which is nice.

If you don't need 100 oct, the gas station in Willows is so much cheaper and a quick drive. Also bring wood for your jack stands, thill really, really cares about that.

If you're up there around dinner time (or lunch if you don't plan on doing anything after), Louis Cairo's is loving awesome if you like garlic (get the garlic bread). It is an old school rice baron restaurant and also the only good restaurant in the county(s).

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

So I definitely wasn't going 10/10ths, and the stock tires are crap, and my hand work is less than ideal, and...
but babies first track day was a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN6mC9xRy4U

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ilkhan posted:

So I definitely wasn't going 10/10ths, and the stock tires are crap, and my hand work is less than ideal, and...
but babies first track day was a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN6mC9xRy4U

Hands at 3 and 9, always, no exceptions. Otherwise I hope you had a good time! Does your group offer instructors? I found that really, really helpful for my first few sessions, and I still do a few instructed days per year.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

ColdPie posted:

Hands at 3 and 9, always, no exceptions. Otherwise I hope you had a good time! Does your group offer instructors? I found that really, really helpful for my first few sessions, and I still do a few instructed days per year.
We did lead/follow and passing exercises the first two sessions, but nothing in car for this group. I'll consider it if/when I go again.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Yeah, your hands need to be glued to the wheel at 9 and 3. No driving with one hand nonsense, either.

Also, might want to look for an in car camera solution where you can fully peek at your hands (vs a 75% view) and possibly your feet.

e: now with a video of how I yaw at the wheel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqb2cA-SgQ

Phone fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 10, 2016

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Phone posted:

Yeah, your hands need to be glued to the wheel at 9 and 3. No driving with one hand nonsense, either.

Also, might want to look for an in car camera solution where you can fully peek at your hands (vs a 75% view) and possibly your feet.

e: now with a video of how I yaw at the wheel:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqb2cA-SgQ

Shuffle steer at :36, get out.

e: missed a post.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 10, 2016

King of all Machines Operate
Sep 23, 2005
uterus puncher ):
Just got back from my day at Thunderhill. Came in a little hot on turn 3 and spun into the dirt, which means I'll be spending next weekend vacuuming all the dust, dirt, rocks and grass out of my car since I was running my Miata topless. Otherwise pretty awesome day!

Protip: if you camp in the grass outside the main gates because you're too cheap to pay for a hotel, the pedestrian gate was unlocked so you can access the paddock at night to use the bathroom and shower

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Crosspostin' from the Subaru thread.

um excuse me posted:

So I turned off driver's aids for one run to see what would happen. I'm not even sure what I did with my hands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXJxx89u9o

:science: Pyrometer Science :science:

The insides of my front tires read 115F while the outside was 104F. Too much camber. I will run the next even with the camber reduced a little. Once I get the inside and outside running evenly, I will use pyrometer testing to figure out tire pressures. When I get through this (may take a few months to get tangible results) I'll post what I have.

My post was followed up by info saying my tires won't really get hot enough to get real results. It kind of leaves me wondering how I can objectively tune my suspension.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

um excuse me posted:

My post was followed up by info saying my tires won't really get hot enough to get real results. It kind of leaves me wondering how I can objectively tune my suspension.

Objectively? Lap times.

No, seriously. Even if you're running a soft enough compound to get it hot and get good pyrometer measurements, the pyrometer will tell you if you're under or overinflated, but it won't necessarily tell you what you should be doing with camber. Pyrometer at the pit lane after a session will tell you what the average heating of the tire is, but what's actually important is how it's loaded in more important corners - for example, you might see a nice even heating across the tread on the pyrometer, but there's a sharp right hander before a straight where the left tires are running too far to the outside. Or maybe by loading the inside shoulder "too much" you're actually getting better heat into the tires and working everything better.

This is not to say that pyrometers are bad, but there's limits to what you can get out of them.

... this is also why I'm working on data acquisition systems...

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
This is a solid suggestion. However it doesn't apply nearly as well with autocross. I got 8 runs on that course. First 3 were duds and 4 and 5 were good. 6, 7, and 8 were on a wet track as it rained during those runs. Completely unreliable for tracking times. Even under ideal conditions I'm not nearly good enough to stay consistent. My times generally go down as the day goes on. Also since courses aren't used more than once, I only really get one data point if I start using average times.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jul 11, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
awwwww yissssss

recommend me:

brand and model of 5 or 6pt harness (compatible with HANS)

paint for roll bar

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

um excuse me posted:

This is a solid suggestion. However it doesn't apply nearly as well with autocross. I got 8 runs on that course. First 3 were duds and 4 and 5 were good. 6, 7, and 8 were on a wet track as it rained during those runs. Completely unreliable for tracking times. Even under ideal conditions I'm not nearly good enough to stay consistent. My times generally go down as the day goes on. Also since courses aren't used more than once, I only really get one data point if I start using average times.

Hell, it's hard enough to do with club level road racing.

What I'm trying to say that "objective" is hard, especially with autocross, especially with drivers who aren't really consistent. Frankly, I'd argue that other than the lap time metric, it's almost impossible to objectively tune many things without a data system. So don't worry so much about "objective" metrics other than bad warning signs (tire pressure too low or high, temperature lower or higher in the middle than the shoulders, chunks of the shoulder leaving the party) and focus on subjectively making it easier to drive at the limit.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

BraveUlysses posted:

awwwww yissssss

recommend me:

paint for roll bar

Is there such thing as a non HANS compatible harness? I know some harnesses have thinner shoulder belts to make it more HANS friendly, but I've had no problem with normal sized belts with my HANS. I almost prefer them. Because I'm not wearing a HANS at autocross damnit.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

awwwww yissssss

recommend me:

paint for roll bar

Basically everyone here has a schroth pro-fi 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sig11
Sep 9, 2005
Stop fucking my horse with asparagus.

TWSS posted:

Basically everyone here has a schroth pro-fi 2.

I have a profi-2 and it's pretty nice... but when my cage is finally in I will be going with Safecraft 6 point harnesses. They are the smoothest adjusting belts I have ever used. Only drawback is that they aren't FIA certified so they only last 2 years instead of 5. I believe they used to do one free reweb to make them 4 year belts though.