Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How will you be voting in the UKEU Referendum?
This poll is closed.
Remain - Keep Britane Strong! 328 15.40%
Leave - Take Are Sovreignity Back! 115 5.40%
Remain - But only because Brexit are crazy 506 23.76%
Leave - But only because the EU is terrible 157 7.37%
Spoiled Ballot - This whole thing is an awful idea 61 2.86%
I'm not going to vote 19 0.89%
I'm not allowed to vote 411 19.30%
Pissflaps 533 25.02%
Total: 2130 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

winegums posted:

I'm confident this is going to work out fine. Nobody in charge actually wanted us to leave the EU, but the guys who scapegoat it just hit the leaver [sic] a bit too hard. The major financiers of the Tory party are going to tell them they can't leave. The Tories will um and ahh and then say "look, we're not actually going to leave the EU that'd be mental". They'll be hated by half their voters who'll leave for UKIP. Their vote will be split and they'll be hosed. In the same way that Labour dived on their sword to keep Scotland in the UK, so must the Tories dive on their sword to keep the UK in the EU.

Corbyn will get in on a "no but seriously we're not leaving the EU. The problem is neoliberalism" ticket. He'll push a line of how the Tories lied to the public about what leaving would involve, and propose to work with the EU to solve the big problems. He'll win. 10'000 years of happiness follows.

Petition at 2m now.

"Help us Capital, you're our only hope"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

As an even easier summary: Brexit is Springtime For Hitler.

I'm not emptyquoting this at all.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Vladimir Putin posted:

While I understand the economic turmoil of globalism what I don't understand about the anti-globalism crowd is what vision they are offering instead. Is it just pull up the drawbridge, put your fingers in your ears and wish it wasn't the 21st century? I just don't see that as remotely optimistic of the future and it seems to me like a step backwards.

So what is a legitimate competing vision to globalism?

localism

(which I personally despise as ethically bankrupt, but it is a philosophy - and a tremendously successful one at that)

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

https://twitter.com/ChuckTingle/status/746724502269104129

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

winegums posted:

I'm confident this is going to work out fine. Nobody in charge actually wanted us to leave the EU, but the guys who scapegoat it just hit the leaver [sic] a bit too hard. The major financiers of the Tory party are going to tell them they can't leave. The Tories will um and ahh and then say "look, we're not actually going to leave the EU that'd be mental". They'll be hated by half their voters who'll leave for UKIP. Their vote will be split and they'll be hosed. In the same way that Labour dived on their sword to keep Scotland in the UK, so must the Tories dive on their sword to keep the UK in the EU.

Corbyn will get in on a "no but seriously we're not leaving the EU. The problem is neoliberalism" ticket. He'll push a line of how the Tories lied to the public about what leaving would involve, and propose to work with the EU to solve the big problems. He'll win. 10'000 years of happiness follows.

Petition at 2m now.

Hope is a mistake

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Chuck Tingle may be the greatest human who currently lives.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

winegums posted:

Petition at 2m now.
please don't hope you will only hurt your self

we have been training our braying chinless ruling class for centuries to die stupidly for zero gain out of a misplaced sense of duty and honour, even if there weren't a bunch of swivel eyed nutters chomping at the bit to do it one of the wankers would do it because they felt they had to

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Guavanaut posted:

Nationalism. Arguably nationalism has always been a working class response to exploitation by the elite, whether they be hereditary aristocrats, transnational elites, or modern day global corporations, it's just one that is open to parasitism.

So in other words pull up the drawbridges and say goodbye?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I'm amazed the petition is still going up. Apathy usually kicks in within the 24 hour mark.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD
From the Amazon description

This erotic tale is 4,200 words of sizzling human on monetary unit action, including anal, blowjobs, rough sex, cream pies and living pound love.

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

Ewan is tired of his reputation as a serious Simon. I'm more of a jokester than you people think. My real name isn't even Ewan, that was a joke it's actually MARTIN! LOL fooled you again, it really is Ewan! Look at that monkey with a big nose, Ewan is so random! XD

Steve2911 posted:

I'm amazed the petition is still going up. Apathy usually kicks in within the 24 hour mark.
I suspect it'll max out around 2.5m

Is twice as large as the largest signed in history, but we all know that there is no chance it is actually going to have any effect. It's 2.5m signing a petition to say 16.5m were wrong.

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

Tigey posted:

"Help us Capital, you're our only hope"

I do think if Labour ran on a bremain "the tories lied to us all" line they'd do well. It gives the papers a reason to support Labour and the public an easy way of voting Labour without feeling like they're being told to, or they've had to change their mind. "I was eminently sensible making my decision on the evidence presented to me, it was those Tories who lied."

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Lammy :swoon:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

winegums posted:

I do think if Labour ran on a bremain "the tories lied to us all" line they'd do well. It gives the papers a reason to support Labour and the public an easy way of voting Labour without feeling like they're being told to, or they've had to change their mind. "I was eminently sensible making my decision on the evidence presented to me, it was those Tories who lied."

would Jeremy "no, really, I'm devastated" Corbyn pick up that banner though

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Was being in the EU really that onerous for the UK? Frankly most of Europe's self defense through NATO which is more or less being paid for by America. What's there left to pay for really? That's like 50% of America's budget. Take that portion away from European countries and what else is there that's so expensive?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

This is the worst part. Dishface has hosed off, and I can't even be happy about it.

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Independent posted:

The referendum itself has no constitutional significance. To stop Brexit, all the government has to do is nothing.

Everyone should just go about their business and pretend that the referendum never happened. That's the most British way to deal with the problem, I think.

When the EU officials pressure the government to go ahead with talks regarding Brexit, I sincerely hope that they're met with a puzzled look and confusion as they're asked "What are you talking about?"

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Captian Nuke posted:

As a US immigration attorney I should state that this is incredibly misleading. Until that child turns 21 there is no direct immigration benefit for the parent, the child may have a right to live in the US but you sure don't. Having a child can sometimes open up additional forms of relief but it is extremely limited and highly discretionary. Unless England descends into true third world status no immigration judge is going to care much about the consequences of your child having to move there for a few years.

Yeah sorry, I was being facetious about it.

I have to assume that British citizens would probably have an easier time going to Canada.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

quote:

Less than a month before the historic EU referendum, the team assembled by Cameron to keep Britain in the European Union was worried about wavering Labour voters and frustrated by the opposition leader’s lukewarm support. Remain campaign operatives floated a plan to convince Corbyn to make a public gesture of cross-party unity by appearing in public with the prime minister. Polling showed this would be the “number one” play to reach Labour voters.

Senior staff from the campaign “begged” Corbyn to do a rally with the prime minister, according to a senior source who was close to the Remain campaign. Corbyn wanted nothing to do with the Tory leader, no matter what was at stake. Gordon Brown, the Labour prime minister whom Cameron vanquished in 2010, was sent to plead with Corbyn to change his mind. Corbyn wouldn’t. Senior figures in the Remain camp, who included Cameron’s trusted communications chief Craig Oliver and Jim Messina, President Obama’s campaign guru, were furious.

Even at more basic levels of campaigning, Labour were refusing to cooperate. The party would not share its voter registration lists with Stronger In, fearing the Tories would steal the information for the next general election. “Our data is our data,” one senior Labour source said when asked about the allegation.

In desperation, the Remain strategists discussed reaching out to the White House to intervene directly. Obama had met Corbyn during a trip to London in April, when the American president argued forcefully for Remain. They wondered: Maybe Obama could call the Labour leader and convince him to campaign with Cameron?

Don’t bother, Labour aides told them. Nobody was going to coax their boss into sharing a public platform with Cameron. The idea was dropped before it reached the White House.

“We can’t stand there every week and wail away at you for prime minister’s questions and then get on stage with you,” a senior Corbyn aide said at one tense meeting three weeks before the vote, according to a Remain source.

on such things do the great nations turn

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Steve2911 posted:

It's getting about 100 sigs every 2 seconds now

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Vladimir Putin posted:

Was being in the EU really that onerous for the UK? Frankly most of Europe's self defense through NATO which is more or less being paid for by America. What's there left to pay for really? That's like 50% of America's budget. Take that portion away from European countries and what else is there that's so expensive?

Greece

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

baka kaba posted:

It's getting about 100 sigs every 2 seconds now

This whole ordeal is so embarrassing and pathetic and I'm not even British. I feel sorry for you guys.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Vladimir Putin posted:

Nothing.

We paid less than a percent of our GDP to be part of the largest single market in the world. What's more we managed to already swing opt outs for the most onerous requirements (we kept our own currency), and the EU funnels money into local economies the way the Westminster focused UK government never would (see: Cornwall and Wales asking what happens to their subsidies now they've voted to cut their own throats).

Leaving is literal loving madness.

return0
Apr 11, 2007

Vladimir Putin posted:

This whole ordeal is so embarrassing and pathetic and I'm not even British. I feel sorry for you guys.

It really is quite unfortunate.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

in regards to David Lemmy urging parliament to ignore the referendum, lmao

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
i lold when i saw the welsh leave guy demanding the equaivalent of eu funding

what a stupid fucker

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

This is interesting. Though I need to hear more. Probably have to find this report to the Lords.

XMNN posted:

selfish racist morons

sorry i mean precious snowflakes who made an extremely well informed choice and have no sort of prejudice against foreigners but legitimate economic concerns and i just wish we werent so gosh darn mean to them and we had asked them not to burn the country down with themselves and everyone else locked inside in an even more roundabout way that didnt hurt their feelings
No, the point is that they absolutely didn't make a well informed choice. The prejudice is real and bad but screaming racist at such a large segment of the population has done exactly gently caress all for us. So maybe look at why people have become so knee-jerk xenophobic and then try something new, like addressing those causes, as opposed to doing what New Labour did, dismissing them out of hand or what the Tories did, yelling about immigration being the root of all problems.

How do you address the poor education, and the misinformation from a media which generally would rather deflect from the excesses of neo-liberalism and globalisation than face up to the problems which benefit their owners? Pretty sure the Brexit vote just proved that calling just under half the country dumb and racist isn't going to solve gently caress all, even if it briefly makes you feel better. It turns out that there are consequences to casually otherising people, be they immigrant, or working class from areas ravaged by deindustrialisation.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Was it really because he was so against publicly aligning with Cameron, or was it because Benn and the others were passionately against the EU for their Lexit reasons.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.

This is so infuriating

Literally all you have to do is just...not do it. Just don't go through with it. A lot of leave folks have clearly seen the error of their ways and I bet a similar vote taken now would be remain by a landslide so just don't loving do it okay

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

loving idiot. The time to do something about this was before Ed Miliband had "Controls on immigration" written on a big rock. It's been done now. Ignoring the results will only embolden the fascists further and grant them huge sympathy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

forkboy84 posted:

This is interesting. Though I need to hear more. Probably have to find this report to the Lords.

No, the point is that they absolutely didn't make a well informed choice. The prejudice is real and bad but screaming racist at such a large segment of the population has done exactly gently caress all for us. So maybe look at why people have become so knee-jerk xenophobic and then try something new, like addressing those causes, as opposed to doing what New Labour did, dismissing them out of hand or what the Tories did, yelling about immigration being the root of all problems.

How do you address the poor education, and the misinformation from a media which generally would rather deflect from the excesses of neo-liberalism and globalisation than face up to the problems which benefit their owners? Pretty sure the Brexit vote just proved that calling just under half the country dumb and racist isn't going to solve gently caress all, even if it briefly makes you feel better. It turns out that there are consequences to casually otherising people, be they immigrant, or working class from areas ravaged by deindustrialisation.
i didnt once see the actual remain campaigns call leavers racist, they went out of their way to legitimise their fears about immigration

hitchensgoespop
Oct 22, 2008
I think that MPs voting to ignore this vote would be even more disastrous than the fiscal butt loving were about endure.

People are pissed and this vote was largely 2 fingers to the political elite. Them ignoring the vote would leave the door wide open to even more far right wackadoos.

Do you really want the country to swing further to the right?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

This is so infuriating

Literally all you have to do is just...not do it. Just don't go through with it. A lot of leave folks have clearly seen the error of their ways and I bet a similar vote taken now would be remain by a landslide so just don't loving do it okay

by the by, it is a little late for all involved to suddenly rediscover their love of parliamentary supremacy against populist mandates

but, whatever works, I guess

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I am unsurprised that you are buying into the "it's all Corbyn's fault" line of drivel. Labour sharing a platform with the Conservatives on the EU referendum in a campaign that put in rules like not attacking Gove & Boris. Do enlighten me as to how Corbyn sharing a platform with Cameron would have made a difference. Or rather a positive difference, as opposed to the difference it made in the Scottish independence referendum where it basically murdered Labour up here.

aers
Feb 15, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

Its from http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201516/ldselect/ldeucom/138/138.pdf

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

hitchensgoespop posted:

I think that MPs voting to ignore this vote would be even more disastrous than the fiscal butt loving were about endure.

People are pissed and this vote was largely 2 fingers to the political elite. Them ignoring the vote would leave the door wide open to even more far right wackadoos.

Do you really want the country to swing further to the right?

Do you think that wont happen if we go ahead with this shitshow?

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002
Voters might change their minds and not leave the EU, but is there any chance that the rest of the EU would just go through with kicking them out anyway because they're sick of the UK's bullshit? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I'm pretty ignorant of European politics.

Sheen Sheen fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ewan
Sep 29, 2008

The Corbyn Pride heckler ("it's all your fault!") is being outed on social media as a PR professional and Blairite who previously worked on Liz Kendall (rival to Corbyn) Labour leadership campaign.

• Locked thread