Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Let's Play The Simpsons Road Rage

The Simpsons had a reptuation for starring in a lot of below average licensed games before Road Rage. And I do mean a lot. The Simpsons Wrestling was bad, sure, but I wouldn't recommend looking up any of the NES or SNES era ventures, either. Radical Entertainment came along, and being a developer that always has their heart in the right place, put their best foot forward to bring us a good licensed game about the already-really-lengthy television series.

...And?

Well, it's a lot like Crazy Taxi. So much that SEGA got the tiniest bit mad at Radical for the game's similarities. That was silly though, and SEGA was silly. Road Rage has its own level design, quirks, and personality. Certainly enough to help it stand as a separate game, and one worth playing for a lot of reasons. It's fast, there are many distinct vehicles, the locations are inventive, and all the characters from The Simpsons make jokes during gameplay. Always.

About the Let's Play

We're going to be showing off all of the six driving locations in the game with six different vehicles, specifically chosen to give us the most variety possible and minimize any potential repetition. We'll also play through all of the levels in "Mission Mode", and get to see the incredibly short, not-at-all-worth-the-immense-time-investment-required-to-unlock-it ending.

Videos

Trivia

EclecticTastes posted:

The Springfield Dam, as it appears in this game, is almost certainly non-canon, as the actual dam in the series was never finished, nor would it have existed very long if it had been, as Cecil, Sideshow Bob's brother, had cheaped out on the building materials to make off with the money (also he tried to blow the dam up to hide his wrongdoing), before being caught by Bart and Lisa, as seen in the season eight classic, "Brother From Another Series" (a reference to Cecil being voiced by David Hyde-Pierce, playing opposite Kelsey Grammar as Sideshow Bob, as they were also fictional siblings on Frasier).

EclecticTastes posted:

Professor Frink's car is definitely non-canon, but seems to be a reference to his hover-bike from "Lemon of Troy", one of the essential season six episodes. Bart ignored it in favor of shoving his hand in wet cement to permanently vandalize some new sidewalk towards the start of the episode, and when he was later on the run from the villainous children of Shelbyville, Frink passed by on the bike, taunting him about his earlier apathy towards it.

EclecticTastes posted:

The biggest difference between Homer's car and Moe's is that Moe's car is insured for a surprisingly large amount of money. He hatched a plot with Homer in the season nine episode, "Dumbbell Indemnity", to use it in an insurance fraud scam in order to use the money to pay for more extravagant dates with his girlfriend for the episode, Renee. Naturally, this backfires, and ultimately ends with Renee leaving Moe in disgust.

EclecticTastes posted:

Otto driving over a bunch of traffic cones is likely a reference to his attempt to get back his bus driver's license in season three's "The Otto Show". Additionally, since it was part of Reverend Lovejoy's entrance, I want to point out that Moe seems to be a fan of Little Women. He was first seen reading it to the homeless at the local shelter, explaining why his bar's always closed on Wednesdays as part of a cutaway gag in the season 5 episode, "Homer Loves Flanders". Long after this game was released, he'd later be seen hastily disposing of it in the season 20 episode, "Eeny Meeny Maya Moe", in which he meets a woman (Maya) online, and only learns after meeting her in person that she's only three feet tall (why yes, this is another episode about Moe meeting a woman and falling in love, then ruining it with his own insecurities, turns out after the second straight decade of production, you gotta return to some old wells). Little Women shows up a couple other times in the series, so one can assume that somebody on the staff likes it.

By the way, Krusty's car is the only one besides Frink's that wasn't either explicitly featured in an existing Simpsons episode, or is the associated character's normal vehicle (Ned's station wagon is more often seen parked than being driven, but the color and general make of the car look show-accurate).

EclecticTastes posted:

It wouldn't be surprising if the Honor Roller had a higher downhill speed coded in, given that it was originally a soapbox racer. It was designed and driven by Martin, originally (hence the dorky name), but was so fast he ended up in a cast, so Bart drove it for him, as seen in the season 3 episode, "Saturdays of Thunder".

Thank you, that's all!

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Jun 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I forgot this game even existed, I'll be interested to see how it stacks up to its sequal.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

I forgot this game even existed, I'll be interested to see how it stacks up to its sequal.

Not great, especially in the polish department, but it's fun.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I got excited for a brief moment thinking this was Hit & Run.

Well, bye.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, bye.

Hit and Run is a terrible game that somehow we all loved when it first came out. This is still an okay game since its just Simpsons Crazy Taxi.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Huh, talk about nostalgia. I remember the Vs. mode for this being surprisingly fun, where you and your opponent fought over one fare at a time and could steal it from each other by ramming.

Also, although most dialogue is "Passenger quip, destination"-"unrelated driver quip" some pairs of characters have unique dialogue. Of particular note is that every single playable character has their own "Hi, Dr. Nick!"

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

ninjahedgehog posted:

Huh, talk about nostalgia. I remember the Vs. mode for this being surprisingly fun, where you and your opponent fought over one fare at a time and could steal it from each other by ramming.

Also, although most dialogue is "Passenger quip, destination"-"unrelated driver quip" some pairs of characters have unique dialogue. Of particular note is that every single playable character has their own "Hi, Dr. Nick!"

Don't worry, I show off a lot of the unique dialogue between characters

The versus mode was the best part for me

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

Well, bye.

My exact reaction.

Hit and Run was a bad game I want somebody funny to successfully complete.

I came here for two incorrect reasons.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
I just made an effort post of my personal history with The Simpsons games and the franchise in general. It took about 5min to type up and was just eaten by the loving 522 errors. Pretend this post includes stories of my Aspergers having little brother and his inane obsession with everything Simpsons that has given me a jaded view on this game and Hit and Run.

This game and Hit and Run are both loving awful.

ninjahedgehog posted:

The worst part is easily 60-90% of the dialogue in this game is sound bites from old episodes used out of context.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jun 22, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

I would definitely consider Hit and Run a better game than this. It's repetitive and the open world aspects are nearly non-existent, but the cars control alright and the missions are average.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
I used to think this game was fun, I now realize it simply Skinner boxed me, hard
having the ability to chose what you unlock can be a mixed blessing if the two preliminary items are the dam level and frink's hover car its almost gaming the system to have $100,00-$200,000 runs.
the highest I ran was ~$450k. It was not, however, any fun.
due to the gameplay loop relying on timers, longer fares meant more time added to your clock to reach the destination with higher chances of bonuses, etc. The dam level is nearly empty for most fares asked to be transported across the map, the time down to the destination had to be generous, and often didn't take into account any shortcuts on the route such as bypassing series of switchbacks by jumping off the dam or cutting through the lake, which would be costly if the good doctors hovercar had not already ignored speed losses over rough terrain.
for a long time I thought I was gaming the system by running the same route and picking fares in the same constant loop, while super-profitable it was hardly rewarding other than a big extrinsic unlock that I would turn around and not use, because it wasn't as profitable
bleagh, also a friends mother forbid me playing this game with him because Homer used the word "rear end" as in ow my ___ , should have really seen that as the warning sign that it was.

oh right best of luck showcasing this weird stupid tie-in game and fielding less complaints about it not being hit and run

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

skullhead tethyis posted:

oh right best of luck showcasing this weird stupid tie-in game and fielding less complaints about it not being hit and run

You took some of my commentary out of my mouth already.

Were you young enough that worrying about curse words was even a thing?

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

skullhead tethyis posted:

frink's hover car

Oh yeah, I remember this being far and away the best car in the entire game. Like, me and my friends would almost come to blows over who got to use it in versus mode.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This game was a huge part of my middle school years. It was one of the few Gamecube games I had and probably the one I played the most. I never managed to beat all the missions, but I loved driving around all the environments and wrecking poo poo or knocking people off cliffs.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

GamesAreSupernice posted:

I would definitely consider Hit and Run a better game than this. It's repetitive and the open world aspects are nearly non-existent, but the cars control alright and the missions are average.

You are some sort of magical hero for not wanting to kill yourself after playing this game.

I really enjoyed your DBZ LP though so I will watch and enjoy it because you're a good LPer.

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 22, 2016

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

chitoryu12 posted:

This game was a huge part of my middle school years. It was one of the few Gamecube games I had and probably the one I played the most. I never managed to beat all the missions, but I loved driving around all the environments and wrecking poo poo or knocking people off cliffs.

The Gamecube version has much better load times, so I am glad your childhood was filled with that version.

Gridlocked posted:

You are some sort of magical hero for not wanting to kill yourself after playing this game.

I really enjoyed your DBZ LP though so I will watch and enjoy it because you're a good LPer.

Thank you I'm incredibly flattered. And this game did make me incredibly depressed and want to die, but only because it took so long to finish.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
It wouldn't be surprising if the Honor Roller had a higher downhill speed coded in, given that it was originally a soapbox racer. It was designed and driven by Martin, originally (hence the dorky name), but was so fast he ended up in a cast, so Bart drove it for him, as seen in the season 3 episode, "Saturdays of Thunder".
:goonsay:

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh dam

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I forgot this post, whoops. I actually didn't know that, but it definitely explains the name choice, since Bart is anything but an Honor Roller.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
The Springfield Dam, as it appears in this game, is almost certainly non-canon, as the actual dam in the series was never finished, nor would it have existed very long if it had been, as Cecil, Sideshow Bob's brother, had cheaped out on the building materials to make off with the money (also he tried to blow the dam up to hide his wrongdoing), before being caught by Bart and Lisa, as seen in the season eight classic, "Brother From Another Series" (a reference to Cecil being voiced by David Hyde-Pierce, playing opposite Kelsey Grammar as Sideshow Bob, as they were also fictional siblings on Frasier).

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

I'm not sure exploding the drat would make it harder to catch him.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Wow, I just remembered that you need to get one million dollars in this game and at the rate your going ten hours is a legitimate prospect. I'd probably resort to a gameshark if it were me playing.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

I'm not sure exploding the drat would make it harder to catch him.

The idea was to frame Bob for blowing it up, as he blamed Bob for destroying his dreams of being a sidekick.

Master J Plus
Apr 20, 2010

by Hand Knit

i couldnt help myself

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

It took over 20 hours to record this drat game.

:staredog:

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Hit and Run is a terrible game that somehow we all loved when it first came out. This is still an okay game since its just Simpsons Crazy Taxi.

I never loved it as a kid, and I had a bad taste in games. I can definitely recall having fun for the first 30 minutes and then just powering through to see what's in the end.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I remember playing both this and Hit and Run when I was younger. I can't remember a drat thing about Hit and Run though or why it sucked, but I do remember this coming off as a subpar Crazy Taxi clone.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Tombot posted:

Wow, I just remembered that you need to get one million dollars in this game and at the rate your going ten hours is a legitimate prospect. I'd probably resort to a gameshark if it were me playing.

It's going to take ten hours no matter what you do unless you cheat.

The things we do for... love?

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I remember playing both this and Hit and Run when I was younger. I can't remember a drat thing about Hit and Run though or why it sucked, but I do remember this coming off as a subpar Crazy Taxi clone.

I really do think Hit and Run is a decent title. Probably shouldn't be compared to Driver or GTA in terms of design, but it's acceptable.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Professor Frink is superior

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

Professor Frink's car is definitely non-canon, but seems to be a reference to his hover-bike from "Lemon of Troy", one of the essential season six episodes. Bart ignored it in favor of shoving his hand in wet cement to permanently vandalize some new sidewalk towards the start of the episode, and when he was later on the run from the villainous children of Shelbyville, Frink passed by on the bike, taunting him about his earlier apathy towards it.

(I knew all this useless Simpsons trivia would be useful someday!)

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

(I knew all this useless Simpsons trivia would be useful someday!)

I will add your trivia to the OP before I send the thread to be archived.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

I will add your trivia to the OP before I send the thread to be archived.

Oh, I hope it didn't look like I was fishing, I just like being able to add to threads when I know something about the subject of an LP. :shobon:

Also out of curiosity I just checked, and you have twenty-five LPs archived already, and granted, they're often of smaller games, but that's still a really impressive number, especially given how much effort you put into them. Figured you deserved some props for that.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh, I hope it didn't look like I was fishing, I just like being able to add to threads when I know something about the subject of an LP. :shobon:

Also out of curiosity I just checked, and you have twenty-five LPs archived already, and granted, they're often of smaller games, but that's still a really impressive number, especially given how much effort you put into them. Figured you deserved some props for that.

I know you weren't fishing, I just thought it would be good to add your trivia to the OP for folks interested in that sort of thing. I don't know as much about the Simpsons as I do other licenses.

And thanks, I love games a really unreasonable amount. 25 is an incredibly small number compared to everything I plan to share with people. If even a dozen or so folks appreciate game design a bit more 'cause of me, I'm glad.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

The last location and the ending. Stay tuned for extras.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Wait, one million dollars and ten hours for THAT? Well at least you get somthing for it.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
That ending :effort:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

comic book guy speaks truths
for once.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

The biggest difference between Homer's car and Moe's is that Moe's car is insured for a surprisingly large amount of money. He hatched a plot with Homer in the season nine episode, "Dumbbell Indemnity", to use it in an insurance fraud scam in order to use the money to pay for more extravagant dates with his girlfriend for the episode, Renee. Naturally, this backfires, and ultimately ends with Renee leaving Moe in disgust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Heh. Looks like I didn't miss much for not 100%ing the game. Will you do Hit & Run in the future too?

• Locked thread