Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I guess I'll keep it running at 120hz. Still a smooth desktop and my 24p content doesn't stutter on playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I think there is some way you can make it 120 on desktop and 144 in 3D applications. Let me see

E: this is what I was thinking of, but it's the opposite:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1581181/acer-xb271hu-share-your-experience-and-show-pics/2800#post_24764691

quote:

quote:

Originally Posted by cyrax2768 View Post

Anyone know if you set ULMB on via the nvidia control panel on an application basis do you also need to turn on ULMB via the OSD of the monitor? When I tried it via the Nvidia Control Panel it changed the refresh rate of the monitor to 120hz but the setting on monitor for ULMB was off.

ULMB's handling in the Control Panel is very poor. This is what I had to do to set ULMB for a game while keeping G-Sync on the desktop:
ensure that G-Sync is working and the desktop refresh rate is not 120Hz
Manage 3D Settings -> Program Settings -> select game -> set Monitor Technology to ULMB
press Apply
for me pressing Apply actually makes G-Sync turn itself off, so check in the monitor OSD that it's not off
if it's off go to Set up G-SYNC and disable/enable -> Apply

After doing that start the game in question, change the refresh rate to 120Hz in game's setting and ULMB should be automatically enabled from now on for that game. If it's not then turn it on in the OSD.

This is very annoying since any change to Monitor Technology setting in Program Settings turns G-Sync off temporarily for me...

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jun 25, 2016

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

drat the 980 ti was nearly a year after the 980? I'm hesitant getting a 1080 because I know I'll get burned again like I did when I bought by 780 on release, the ti came out 6 months later. They gotta drop a ti variant just before black Friday. My 780 is showing its age and I don't know what direction to go.

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

They'll drop a new Titan before Ti.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah I think it's going to be like last generation where the x70 and x80 Ti have the best Performance/$, especially if the current GP102 rumors are true which show it having 50% more CUDA cores.

MaxxBot fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 25, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
does amd have any offerings that will actually push the fps on a 144hz ultrawide freesync?
Are they trying to push crossfire 480 as the solution?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Fauxtool posted:

does amd have any offerings that will actually push the fps on a 144hz ultrawide freesync?
Are they trying to push crossfire 480 as the solution?

I'm not sure anything is (in guessing 1440p?) really capable of that yet single card, that's an intense amount of data

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Yeah, even the 1080 whirring at max gets just over 100FPS 1440p in the latest games. You're going to have to either way for the RX490/Fury 2 from AMD or maybe the 500 series depending on the reality (at an engineering level) of Polaris.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have some insight into when we'll start seeing real stock of non-FE 1080s? I've been watching nowinstock all week, and non-FE cards coming into stock is very rare, in fact I suspect most of the instances this week have been newegg false alarms. Also, I've noticed that blt has pushed their estimated arrival dates for any non-FE card all the way back to August from early to mid July.

Do the 3rd party manufacturers have any reason not to keep producing FE parts at a markup over their custom parts as long as supplies are as constrained as they appear to be?

Chuu fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 26, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Chuu posted:

Anyone have some insight into when we'll start seeing real stock of non-FE 1080s? I've been watching nowinstock all week, and non-FE cards coming into stock is very rare, in fact I suspect most of the instances this week have been newegg false alarms. Also, I've noticed that blt has pushed their estimated arrival dates for any non-FE card all the way back to August from early to mid July.

Do the 3rd party manufacturers have any reason not to keep producing FE parts at a markup over their custom parts as long as supplies are as constrained as they appear to be?

No, but there was some real stock towards the end of this week. I wouldn't expect much longer. There were 1080's available for hours yesterday or Thursday (yeah I know how that sounds lol).

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Should I wait for the EVGA FTW version of 1080 to become available online somewhere or should I just drive down to a Fry's 30 miles away to pick up a standard founder edition?

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

SweetBro posted:

Should I wait for the EVGA FTW version of 1080 to become available online somewhere or should I just drive down to a Fry's 30 miles away to pick up a standard founder edition?

I'd wait if it meant avoiding blower fan.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

No, but there was some real stock towards the end of this week. I wouldn't expect much longer. There were 1080's available for hours yesterday or Thursday (yeah I know how that sounds lol).

I don't know how I missed this, had now-in-stock up the entire time at work. Unless you mean the MSI blower card, which I passed on. I'm pretty sure the STRYX coming in stock was a false alarm, which I noticed nowinstock does sometimes specifically for newegg.

Hoping you are right about availability. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a FE card. If it was just the price I would have pulled the trigger a long time ago, but I just don't want to deal with the acoustic profile of a blower.

Speaking of blowers, are the 3rd party blowers decent these days? Better than the reference FE blower? The MSI blower was in stock for $630 on newegg for several hours, but given my memory of the 680 blowers, i.e. pretty much every one was worse (sometimes considerably worse) than the Titan reference blower in terms of thermal profile and noise, I passed.

Chuu fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Jun 26, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Chuu posted:

I don't know how I missed this, had now-in-stock up the entire time at work. Unless you mean the MSI blower card, which I passed on. I'm pretty sure the STRYX coming in stock was a false alarm, which I noticed nowinstock does sometimes specifically for newegg.

Hoping you are right about availability. I'm so close to pulling the trigger on a FE card. If it was just the price I would have pulled the trigger a long time ago, but I just don't want to deal with the acoustic profile of a blower.

Speaking of blowers, are the 3rd party blowers decent these days? Better than the reference FE blower? The MSI blower was in stock for $630 on newegg for several hours, but given my memory of the 680 blowers, i.e. pretty much every one was worse (sometimes considerably worse) than the Titan reference blower in terms of thermal profile and noise, I passed.

You are probably correct on the cheap blowers. Id suggest using Neweggs auto notify on each of the "good ones"

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Ak Gara posted:

I'd wait if it meant avoiding blower fan.

From what I heard though, the ACX is pretty bad too.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Nfcknblvbl posted:

They'll drop a new Titan before Ti.

Do they have enough cores for that?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Not if those yield problems that are being rumored are true.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

If they have yield problems they'll definitely drop a Titan first, and crank the price to get demand to match their supply until they have enough to release a Ti.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

the question is, how much will Titan Xen sell for during the fire sale

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

the question is, how much will Titan Xen sell for during the fire sale

Realistically, $1200. Optimistically, $1000.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Enos Cabell posted:

Still tweaking mine, but I hit 18502 on firestrike with a 24000 graphics score on a 1080. Core at +120 and memory at +400

I hit 16,058 (24k graphics score) on Fire Strike with a 1080 & i5 4690K with that same overclock. How are were you able to take it?

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wargames posted:

Do they have enough cores for that?

Not all Titans are uncut dies - the original GTX Titan had one shader engine disabled, only the Titan Black was a full uncut die. Or in other words, the 780 Ti actually had more cores than the first Titan. I can absolutely see them following the same formula with Pascal - release a crop-die Titan and then release a Titan Black down the road around the time when they release a (crop) 1080 Ti. Then maybe the 1180 Ti is uncut.

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Resounding preference for uncut. :flaccid:

I'll show myself out now...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fletcher posted:

Does anybody have a use for this fancy SLI bridge? If so, you can have it for free. Just throw me a couple bux for shipping. It lights up and looks cool. Unfortunately the red sticker makes it more pink. At any rate, I only have one graphics card now, no need for this thing anymore.

http://i.imgur.com/Pt7QW5K.jpg

Last chance of trying to give this thing away, otherwise it disappears to the depths of the spare parts bin, never to be seen again!

edit: It has been claimed!

fletcher fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Jun 26, 2016

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Chuu posted:

Hmm. Just looking at Belgium, there's actually a decent amount of 1080 FE's available for immediate delivery. Most of the customs are indeed preorder, though. And I have no idea how long it would take to actually get one. Could be anywhere from two days to months. The 1070's availability seems to be even more limited.

Here's hoping the release of the RX 480 will put some pressure on retailers to lower prices and/or on nVidia to increase production of the Pascal cards. This could be good for AMD if they get the timing and marketing right.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Jun 26, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
3DMark put out a teaser for their DX12 benchmark. Soon, we won't have to rely solely on Ashes of the Singularity anymore. :toot:

Should note that if you care about benchmarking things, 3DMark is also on sale on Steam for a measly five bucks. (Or, £2147483647. =P)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2JMD1Ytn5M

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jun 26, 2016

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

I got a GTX 1070 recently and I noticed it never goes to idle clocks at the desktop. I only have one monitor. I tried changing all the usual settings to no effect. Any pro tips?

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
If you're Overwatching or whatever, the Battle.net launcher client makes my 1080 clocks stay high even with the hardware acceleration option ticked off.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

teh_Broseph posted:

If you're Overwatching or whatever, the Battle.net launcher client makes my 1080 clocks stay high even with the hardware acceleration option ticked off.
I thought it might be something like that, but even freshly booted to the desktop it's clocking up.

I'll try I clean install of the driver I guess.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Spatial posted:

I got a GTX 1070 recently and I noticed it never goes to idle clocks at the desktop. I only have one monitor. I tried changing all the usual settings to no effect. Any pro tips?

Do you have a 144hz display?

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Do you have a 144hz display?
I do, and I thought it might be related - higher memory clock makes sense if the bandwidth needed is higher than idle clocks can deliver. But when I reduced it to 1920x1080 60Hz it was still stuck at high clocks.

The clean install did work, for whatever reason. From my perspective in the control panel nothing has changed, but the clocks are fine now. Sitting pretty at 215/405MHz at 2560x1440 144Hz.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

fletcher posted:

I hit 16,058 (24k graphics score) on Fire Strike with a 1080 & i5 4690K with that same overclock. How are were you able to take it?

I have an i7 6700k @ 4.6 and a GTX 1080 with +150 GPU and + 400 RAM and I am getting 17483 on 3D mark with 20971 graphics score. How are you 2 getting such higher GPU scores than I am?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Question: I'm looking in afterburner and sometimes my core clock jumps from about 240 to about 1595 when idle in windows. Memory clock also jumps, from 405 to about 4500, at the same time. Power use jumps from about 7-9 to mid 30s but the GPU use drops from 5-8 to 0-1 at the same time. Any ideas what's doing this, or is it a normal thing that you only notice when you have the program up and activity visible? Idle temp doesn't seem to change from 39-40C during those brief periods either.

e: It does this even with the monitor set to 120hz so I doubt it's related to that 144hz bug mentioned earlier.

Lowen SoDium posted:

I have an i7 6700k @ 4.6 and a GTX 1080 with +150 GPU and + 400 RAM and I am getting 17483 on 3D mark with 20971 graphics score. How are you 2 getting such higher GPU scores than I am?

When I did a test at +75 core and +700 memory briefly* my graphics score was 20,746 on a G1 1070 so your graphics score does seem oddly low.

* dropped to +50 and +500 since it seemed like my drivers were starting to fail in FFXIV and possibly other games

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 26, 2016

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I'm in the 18k/24k club too but I have a pretty meager overclock on my g1 1080. +59 and +50, iirc. My card absolutely hates memory overclocking for some reason. 6700k at 4.5, 16gb at 3200. It's really stable though in everything I've tested, unigine heaven/valley/overwatch/witcher. I guess I could throw furmark at it :ohdear:

Maybe your memory overclock is too high and the error correction that people speculated about has kicked in? What are your temperatures and boost like when running the benchmark? Have your tried cranking all of your fans up to max during a bench as a point of comparison? Have you checked nvidia control panel for any image quality options that may be lit up?

One thing that I've noticed running unigine heaven to find a stable overclock is that benchmarking without a warmup to get your card to its load temperatures is kind of silly. Boost will happily kick me put to 2025 when I'm first going from idle to load but once I reach max temperatures I'm 1950-1977. Benching after letting unigine heaven loop for 15 minutes would be much more scientific.mmaybe 3dmark already does this and I'm just naive.

fozzy fosbourne fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 26, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

fletcher posted:

Mine was stable up to +150 core +450 memory, with the power limit bumped up to 110. Started getting driver crashes pushing past that. I eased back a little to +130 core and +400 memory, and played several hours of Doom and Witcher 3 without any problems.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002
So I'm looking at building a new computer and want 1440p 144mhz screen.

Right now I'm leaning towards free sync and an rx480, but could be convinced to spend more on an nvidia setup if it's significantly better.

Only two games i care about probably are WoW and HotS.

Can I get good results out of the less recursive AMD path?

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
don't those games run at 100+hz even on a 970? rx480 should be fine.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hmm, good question. Even with Shadowplay turned on I'm getting a graphics score of 23,000. Any backup programs or antivirus running in the background that would be hogging resources?

I'm running Windows 10 with the GeForce 368.39 driver, if we wanna rule that out as well.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

tijag posted:

So I'm looking at building a new computer and want 1440p 144mhz screen.

Right now I'm leaning towards free sync and an rx480, but could be convinced to spend more on an nvidia setup if it's significantly better.

Only two games i care about probably are WoW and HotS.

Can I get good results out of the less recursive AMD path?

Gsync is the best technology, the problem is that it requires an expensive FPGA and new pcb which is why it's more expensive. I've seen a freesync monitor (5-10 min) and lived with a gsync (gsync autocorrects to gay club btw) 144hz 1440p, and gsync still wows me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Evil Fluffy posted:

When I did a test at +75 core and +700 memory briefly* my graphics score was 20,746 on a G1 1070 so your graphics score does seem oddly low.

* dropped to +50 and +500 since it seemed like my drivers were starting to fail in FFXIV and possibly other games

fletcher posted:

Hmm, good question. Even with Shadowplay turned on I'm getting a graphics score of 23,000. Any backup programs or antivirus running in the background that would be hogging resources?

I'm running Windows 10 with the GeForce 368.39 driver, if we wanna rule that out as well.

I found part of my problem. The NV control panel was set to V-sync for all applications and my X34 only goes to 100hz so I was being frame limited. V-sync off and now I get 18249 and 22574. Still not as high as some people but getting there. I will try turning off shadow play next.

edit: Turning off Shadow play bumped me up to 19008 and 24015. Thanks for the help guys.

Lowen SoDium fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 26, 2016