Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoflcopterPilot
Mar 17, 2004
What did the five fingers say to the face? SLAP!
Just watched it here in NYC and I enjoyed it. As others have said it's extremely visual and the cinematography is really great. Soundtrack is ridiculously good. I will say that I did not expect the ending to go the way that it did and I was also expecting much more violence. The casting was on point too Scumbag Keanu lololol awesome.

I honestly thought Jesse would put up more of a fight and do most of the killing. Maybe I read into the trailer too much, but I thought she was going to go Kill Bill on everybody and just start taking them out one by one. Maybe that would have been too obvious though I guess?

I really feel like if you smash Drive and Only God Forgives together, this would be the more polished love child. It had a bit of the "emptiness" and room for interpretation like OGF did but the general plot is linear enough like Drive where your average movie go-er won't be like "wow just people walking around for 2hrs wtf." With that being said though, the fact that it felt like a balancing act between the those two films was kind of problematic for me. Not quite as abstract and strange as OGF, and not quite as commercial as Drive. I may have to watch it again to decide whether I think it was "good" or not, which is a sign to me because for both Drive and OGF I walked out thinking they were instantly amazing.

I've seen all of NWR's films and his growth as a filmmaker is really interesting. It's pretty cool to compare these newer films to his full body of work and see how things have changed over time.

There was a couple behind me that were very uncomfortable the whole time and kept asking one another if they should walk out, which I thought was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trollipop
Apr 10, 2007

hippin and hoppin
I saw this last night, I can definitely see how it was a love it or hate it movie. I loved it. Awesome sound track, sweet visuals. All the models gave me the spooks

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Opening day! 5PM showing! And I'm the only one here!

This movie is gonna make about $40 in BO.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
You ever feel like someone's made a film just for you?

Neon Demon was this for me.

I don't yet know how I'd rank it, I don't know know if it was a "great movie", but I really responded to it. It was challenging and weird and beautiful to look at and got under my skin in some interesting ways. NWR is my hero for making weird poo poo with great music.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Power of Pecota posted:

Can someone explain what happened with Ruby at the end? Was that like some kind of metaphorical childbirth?

The moon, madness and menses are the Triforce.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Anyone have walkouts?

Our theater had one couple leave during the necrophilia scene

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Anyone have walkouts?

Our theater had one couple leave during the necrophilia scene

No, but I saw it early enough that I'm fairly sure I was the only person in the theater.

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost
Any idea when this would hit amazon video or something? I seem to remember OGF was on amazon on day one, maybe I'm misremembering. That was where I had to watch it.

I'm like 2 hours from the nearest available show. gently caress.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think my favorite movie theater experience of all time is now me, two joints deep waltzing into The Neon Demon for a 10:35 early bird screening and being the only person on the room for the entire film, front row for the extra sensory assault.

Refn sure does have a way with Frank Booth-y characters who are simultaneously pure evil but hysterical. Keanu Reeves trying to open a door or light a cigarette? Howling.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just got out of theater. I have sort of a shock, like I can't quite parse the film yet. No walk outs. Im leaning very strongly towards to LOVE but a may just be a like. Gonna need to watch again.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

No, but I saw it early enough that I'm fairly sure I was the only person in the theater.

There were like 7 in mine and I saw the first screening in Evanston.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

RoflcopterPilot posted:

I really feel like if you smash Drive and Only God Forgives together, this would be the more polished love child. It had a bit of the "emptiness" and room for interpretation like OGF did but the general plot is linear enough like Drive where your average movie go-er won't be like "wow just people walking around for 2hrs wtf." With that being said though, the fact that it felt like a balancing act between the those two films was kind of problematic for me. Not quite as abstract and strange as OGF, and not quite as commercial as Drive. I may have to watch it again to decide whether I think it was "good" or not, which is a sign to me because for both Drive and OGF I walked out thinking they were instantly amazing.

Just got out of it and, yeah, this was pretty much reaction. The murder could really have stood to be stranger and less explicit, or more thrilling, one way or the other. Instead it was just this thing that happened to set up the context for the later, more interesting imagery.

Still enjoyed it, but sort of a lesser Refn for me, though that might change on a rewatch. Great soundtrack, as people have said.

Elle Fanning was less of a presence than I'd assumed she'd be. Not just her not acting with agency, though that's part of it, but she's much more presented through other people's reactions to her than Fanning's performance. Which makes sense with her just being a pretty face/body, I guess.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010
I keep vacillating from "it was good" to "it was great". I can never form a full opinion of a Refn flick from a first viewing.
Definitely worth a watch if you're on the fence about it.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Saw the movie today the way it was meant to be seen- alone, in a a completely empty threater

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Saw it, it's a giallo in 2016, I'm down with that.

Apart from the obvious italian horror vibe, it's sort of like Starry Eyes, only not poo poo.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Saw yesterday with my wife, only one other dude was in theater (and he left midway in) but it was a 10am showing.

I thought it was amazing. It looks and sounds beautiful. Fanning is perfect for what the character requires, and I really liked all the supporting work.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

General Dog posted:

Saw the movie today the way it was meant to be seen- alone, in a a completely empty threater

Lucky you, my showing had a row of five dingleberries that kept whispering and giggling

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

It's supposed to be weird that everybody who meets Elle Fanning is so enraptured with her, right? I know beauty is subjective, but it's hard for me to look at her, and look at everyone else in the movie and think "this girl is objectively next-level, otherworldly beautiful". I don't think I'm meant to. So what is it that they see in her? Is she really just fresh meat?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

General Dog posted:

It's supposed to be weird that everybody who meets Elle Fanning is so enraptured with her, right? I know beauty is subjective, but it's hard for me to look at her, and look at everyone else in the movie and think "this girl is objectively next-level, otherworldly beautiful". I don't think I'm meant to. So what is it that they see in her? Is she really just fresh meat?

I took it to be that people obsessed over her youth rather than her beauty. So much of the film revolves around fear of aging and mortality that I thought it was Elle's babyish face that was hooking people

edit: Question about the last 20 minutes of the film: Ruby's last scene in the film is basically her submitting herself to the Moon (wisdom, the divine feminine, whatever) and then she spreads her legs and is... giving birth? Menstruating? I know Moon and Menses are a theme but what did you all take that scene to signify/imply/evoke?

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Jun 26, 2016

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

General Dog posted:

I saw it in a free screening so it was full of ignorant plebs, and in the scene where she tries out for the catwalk gig, someone a couple rows behind me loudly proclaimed, "I don't get it."

Anal Surgery posted:

I took it to be that people obsessed over her youth rather than her beauty. So much of the film revolves around fear of aging and mortality that I thought it was Elle's babyish face that was hooking people
One thing that kept turning over in my head is that the other 2 models, they would generally be considered very attractive models.

Elle, while certainly attractive, doesn't have that stereotypical model look. And maybe that's part of her allure?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Anal Surgery posted:

edit: Question about the last 20 minutes of the film: Ruby's last scene in the film is basically her submitting herself to the Moon (wisdom, the divine feminine, whatever) and then she spreads her legs and is... giving birth? Menstruating? I know Moon and Menses are a theme but what did you all take that scene to signify/imply/evoke?

Yeah, the youth was kind of what I meant by "fresh meat". It's really the only thing that separates her from the rest. Despite what her printer-toting friend tells her, she is pretty much a personality void.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, during the dinner scene, they talk about how its a natural beauty, not manufactured, which most people can achieve, so they are envious of that too I presume. not sure if that really requires a spoiler

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
I knew absolutely nothing about this film going in. Didn't even watch the trailer. Which makes it an odd coincidence that I saw this just as I got on a giallo kick again. I had just seen Seven Deaths in the Cat's Eye and Kill Baby Kill last weekend, and I watched Tenebre after the showing.

I don't know much about fashion or modeling, but my first impression was that Jesse is the Gemma Ward type.

There was only one other couple in the theatre, and they walked out during the necrophilia scene.

My main problem with this film is, what is there left to do with my life now that I've seen Jena Malone naked and drenched in blood?

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

General Dog posted:

Despite what her printer-toting friend tells her, she is pretty much a personality void.

Yeah, that dude was great. Impressively managed to make the vampires look good in comparison.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

General Dog posted:

Its literally that she is an underage virgin. Everyone can smell it on her.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Anal Surgery posted:

Renewal. Menstruation is not just generative but regenerative as well.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

General Dog posted:

Youth and innocence. They wish to corrupt and/or devour her because of it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cardboard Box A posted:

Youth and innocence. They wish to corrupt and/or devour her because of it.
But then what makes her different from any other 16-year-old model?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Josh Lyman posted:

But then what makes her different from any other 16-year-old model?

It's possible that she's not, and that this isn't anybody's first rodeo.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Yeah they do the absolutely identical walks and Jesse is noticed because she's an underage virgin with some vague, un-concrete notion of the power her beauty can bring her.

General Dog posted:

It's possible that she's not, and that this isn't anybody's first rodeo.

Yeah I felt like that was an unspoken part of the backdrop--that for all of how LA is a big town and that modeling is a highly interconnected industry, it's also deeply isolating and by its nature encourages small closed groups to develop. So like, maybe the literal stuff on the screen (witches) isn't happening everywhere, but the otherwise devouring of youth is.

So much to enjoy here. It's very fun for me how open and transparent Refn's symbolism can be. The Neon Demon (the triforce) looked like a terrible evil face, but also like a model's ideal face (those sharp angles), which Abbey Lee just so happens to have.

Captain Magic fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Jun 26, 2016

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I liked Drive and Only God Forgives a bit more but still enjoyed the film. I like how it dips into weird pseudo witchcraft and the soundtrack is fantastic. Could have used a little more meat to it but I did ultimately like it. My girlfriend however did not feel the same and she loving hated watching this more than any movie we went to in 5 years, legit walked out then walked back in after Keanu Reeves assaults the 13 yr old next door .

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I saw this Friday night after being incredibly loving excited for it. Then I left the theater totally shocked and unsure how I really felt about the whole thing, but leaning towards loving it. I couldn't stop thinking about it the rest of the night and yesterday, so I saw it again last night. It's even better the 2nd time, honestly, going into it knowing what unfolds and being able to piece together more and more moments earlier in the film.

It's cool that despite Christina Hendricks only having a few minutes of screen time, she has one of the most important lines in the whole film: "People will believe what they are told."

Jesse isn't really all that special, no more so than the other models, except for the fact that she's fresh blood and super naive. But she's told she's special, and she believes it so much that it goes to her head and corrupts her.

grahf987
May 11, 2009
When I saw it there were about 5 people there (all male, not a huge surprise). I can understand somebody walking out on the hotel room next door scene, glad they left it to the imagination (actually maybe that's worse). It was very much a Giallo to me as well; beautiful, tense, and great score (I usually don't notice scores unless it something standout like Ravenous, Drive, etc). It did tease me with a supermodel knife fight but I am sure that would be less exciting then it sounds.

I can agree with that Rageaholic Monkey, the other models are just used . In a few years the Elle Fanning character would probably be pretty similar to them when the new "Sun" showed up. I did kind of hint that she was feeding them some kind of energy though, perhaps just a placebo?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

grahf987 posted:

I can agree with that Rageaholic Monkey, the other models are just used . In a few years the Elle Fanning character would probably be pretty similar to them when the new "Sun" showed up. I did kind of hint that she was feeding them some kind of energy though, perhaps just a placebo?
I figured Gigi and Sarah wanted her blood because they thought it would make them feel youthful and beautiful and confident again, but once they actually have it, it's too much for them to handle, which is why Gigi says "I need to get her out of me." and slices herself open.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Saw this with my friend and he loving HATED it, but he can't stop talking about it.

I loved loved loved it. I think what struck me most was the use of silence, whether it be complete silence or the soundtrack droning over them with no audible dialogue. It really captures that feeling of being alone, in the world, in your own "house." When you're alone there isn't always loud noises around you, sometimes it's just you. The scene with her stretching in the spandex and the first scene of her getting ready in the motel really pushed this and I thought it was fantastic.

Then of course he visuals, which are just unbelievable at points. The scene in the nightclub at the start with the flashing reds, the Neon Demon scene with her giving into the sex.

I really need to see this again.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Jesse isn't really all that special, no more so than the other models, except for the fact that she's fresh blood and super naive. But she's told she's special, and she believes it so much that it goes to her head and corrupts her.
I was under the impression she had it in her head before she moved to LA. When the other model says "that feeling when you walk into a room", presumably Elle has more experience with that than just a week.

grahf987
May 11, 2009
Ill probably go again to see it after a week or so, if its still around. Now that I know it was not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be, I can focus on the context more. Yes the flashing red "show" at the club was one of the few shots I could of used more of, but I guess they got as much as they could out of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

I was under the impression she had it in her head before she moved to LA. When the other model says "that feeling when you walk into a room", presumably Elle has more experience with that than just a week.
Well when she's talking to Dean up on the hill at night, she says she's from Georgia. So I assumed she fled from Georgia to LA to become a model, and Dean contacts her online and says he wants to take pictures of her, so she could've just made her way out there for that because she saw it as an in. Her parents are dead and she knows she's pretty and she can profit from it, so she's quick to jump on any opportunity she can related to that, no matter how predatory those opportunities seem. But I didn't really get the feeling from Fanning's portrayal that she had done this before. She may have turned some heads because of her girl next door look back in Georgia, but I doubt she'd ever done what the other models had. She plays it so awkwardly, and she transforms throughout the course of the film, but even by the end, I still thought she was just a kid and was in over her head.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I guess i'm going agains the grain opinion wise. I really did not enjoy this film.

The soundtrack was amazing, and I was hooked at the opening credits with the music. The thing that really ruined the movie for me was all of the 3 minute, essentially, music videos like the bondage show at the night club. I think the movie would have been a lot better simply cutting these shots closer to 30 seconds; the weird vibe still would have been processed, but it wouldn't have pointlessly dragged on. I also dislike how obvious they were making the symbolism.

Basically I feel like this movie was made by a man with split personalities and one of those personalities was 13 year old Yoko Ono was making her first music videos for part of it, because the rest story was actually interesting and very chilling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Well when she's talking to Dean up on the hill at night, she says she's from Georgia. So I assumed she fled from Georgia to LA to become a model, and Dean contacts her online and says he wants to take pictures of her, so she could've just made her way out there for that because she saw it as an in. Her parents are dead and she knows she's pretty and she can profit from it, so she's quick to jump on any opportunity she can related to that, no matter how predatory those opportunities seem. But I didn't really get the feeling from Fanning's portrayal that she had done this before. She may have turned some heads because of her girl next door look back in Georgia, but I doubt she'd ever done what the other models had. She plays it so awkwardly, and she transforms throughout the course of the film, but even by the end, I still thought she was just a kid and was in over her head.
My only complaint coming out of the film was a disconnect between movie time and real time. Jesse definitely seemed like an ingenue at the beginning, but her transformation, specifically in that scene where she shruggs off her "boyfriend" at the restaurant, seemed to happen too quickly from the viewer's perspective, like there needed to be 15 minutes of scenes in between.

• Locked thread