Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Cojawfee posted:

Is your escape pod still near the aurora? Some people have had issues where the escape pod drifts off the map. If you weld the sparking box, it gets fixed and has a gravity anchor.

As it turns out, this is exactly what happened. Good thing I didn't have anything valuable stored in it, I guess :shobon: I dropped a beacon where it used to be, so I can use it as a waypoint and not stray off into Scary Hell Territory again.

Xanderkish posted:

Get yourself a big-rear end submarine and laugh as they treat you like a curiously mobile piece of furniture, and then never venture out of the sub near them again. Scan different biomes for the Cyclops parts, avoiding wide-open areas with not a lot of features but a lot of empty space, as they tend to gravitate around there.

They also appear every now and then in the Mushroom forest, which is great for getting your heartrate up. Your strategy then is to swim far away from them while crying.

Bitchin'. I have thoroughly mastered the 'run away while crying' strategy, so as soon as I get another plasteel ingot and enameled glass (it's very silly that you can't just kill stalkers for their teeth) I'm going to get that cyclops up and running and then go find a leviathan to shove around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

This is totally worth it for the sale price.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
If your escape pod drifts out of the map and you want it back, or if you just get tired of having a beacon leading somewhere impossible, you can use the console command "randomstart" to teleport the escape pod back to one of its random possible starting locations. It will also teleport you into the pod, just so you know.

To enable the console, press F3 to open the menu where its checkbox is, then press F8 to get a mouse cursor to click it with. Once enabled, open the console with tilde like in most games.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Have they changed it so you can see the text you're typing? If not, don't worry if the text doesn't show up in that box. Just type the command and press enter.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Sylphosaurus posted:

I have to say that Subnautica is one of the few games in the survival genre that really resonates with me. Are there any decent LP's on Youtube where the player isn't an insufferable rear end that covers a fourth of the screen with his ugly mug?

MrKravin has a little series on Subnautica, and he's frankly adorable. He does a whole Survival Sunday series if you like his style, too.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Efexeye posted:

I would really love to see Subnautica become THE killer VR app because it's a lot of fun just with a mouse and keyboard and it's so much more fleshed out than the mostly glorified tech demos that are available now for VR.

:stare:

:stonk:

This is the one goddamn game that sets off my thalassophobia while playing mouse and keyboard, VT subnautica might kill me.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I am seconding Vinesauce. Plus he has hilarious Rom hack and corruptions videos.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

:stare:

:stonk:

This is the one goddamn game that sets off my thalassophobia while playing mouse and keyboard, VT subnautica might kill me.

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or concerned that you end up playing a game that is entirely about your phobia.

Also fun fact: Apparently bing searching a phobia brings up pictures of the phobic object. That seems ill-advised.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Between a mix of odd or scenic bugs, I've been off and on making slow progress (Because I am slow) and now I'm setting up to shuffle the insides of my base all around.

Intended during the change up will be segregated edible species in separate alien 2 story containment. That would normally feel like overkill, but after loading my game to discover 1/3 Reginald 2/3 Airsacks last I had dipped in for snacks had become nothing but Reginalds? Yeah.

My "prettiest" bug so far was the frozen cluster of debris hanging in the air, that stuck around for many in game days and several program restart/reloads. It's finally gone (with even the bits frozen in the middle of the water gone), I will miss that comforting sight of physics being mocked.

Xanderkish posted:

Oh I did that. Problem is they don't seem to drop multiple teeth at once, and sometimes stalkers have already picked up a piece of scrap metal by the time you reach them, and dropped their tooth somewhere in the grasses where you can't see them. It's just a massive pain no matter what.
RNG ever remains the enemy.

Watch multiple Stalkers out in the wild happen to be chewing metal at the same time? No teeth.

Little sand Trench with no stalkers or scrap within draw distance? 4-5 stalker teeth just laying there.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
And for that matter why do I need enameled glass to build an observation room? I can put a normal window in my sea base at the high pressure bottom of the ocean, game, do not tell me I can't use that same glass to make me a glass ball.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I'm not an engineer, and it's not a realistic simulation as well, but even so the stresses applied to a glass sphere as opposed to a single pane of glass are fairly different. It seems plausible enough that a stronger form of glass is needed.

It's a game and yes there will be inconsistencies and it won't be verisimilitudimous all the time. There are sacrifices for gameplay. I am sure a "quantum dark-matter drive containment breach should be a lot more catastrophic than is portrayed for instance.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Let's head for the Aurora! I can look for the upgrade station parts later.

*Baby's first Reaper*

Let's look for the seamoth upgrade station instead!

I should probably sort out finding a diamond because murphy's law means I'll probably need a laser cutter it whenever I reach the thing :v:

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
Just curious, is there a known date when the game will be "fully released"? I know I can play everything right now but I am not too sure how much I want to invest in it unless it is "complete". I realize it is very fleshed out and puts many EA titles to shame but I was curious if the developers have ever given a hard date?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

They're preeeety open with their roadmap. No exact date though.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
Thanks for the tips! Managed to find blueprints for the Seamoth and a modification station, maybe now I can explore further without being pestered by sharks.

I like how mysterious the ocean feels. The noises reefbacks make kept me on edge because I first heard one just before seeing a sea snake. When I realized it was a harmless whale I was relieved, until I realized that means the devil snakes are silent.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011
I've got a similar urge to just wait it out - looking at the trello and such they plan on adding story and a lot more ruins to explore and such that sound neat - but if I do everything there is to do in the game right now I might not really want to go back and do it all over again later with the new stuff added.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
I find the starting collecting resources and making a base very relaxed and enjoyable, but without the randomisation once you start learning where stuff is you definitely can just beeline to the same places. There are reasonably frequent content updates every 4-6 weeks but they're not huge ones for the large part. If the game interests you, you could pick it up on the sale now and then wait for it to be finished or just play through it now and then wait. The release is probably going to be Q3-Q4 this year as long as there aren't any unexpected delays.

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

I tried googling, i might as well try here. For some reason after i load a saved game my inventory stops working, i cant equip or use items, and i cant switch between items i bound with 1-5 and or the mouse scroll wheel. Anyone experienced that? i looked at their forums but the search function goes to natural selection 2 and the steam threads talk about it being fixed in a patch.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I'm about to start playing this, is there anything outside the game you need to read to be up to date on how it works or does the game give you everything you need to know?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
The only thing that gets annoying about starting a new game is finding certain resources. Stalker teeth are terrible, finding silver is annoying. It used to be the worst trying to find copper but they made it more plentiful and now you can recharge batteries. Silver is annoying because you have to find rocks in the grassy plains that look exactly the same as the patches of sand in the grass all the while sharks and biters are constantly bumping into your seamoth.

Digirat posted:

I'm about to start playing this, is there anything outside the game you need to read to be up to date on how it works or does the game give you everything you need to know?

If you can figure out context clues, you can figure the game out. When you load it up, it will tell you to smash up rocks and cut kelp and things like that. Anything else you can figure out from looking at the the fabricator and checking your blueprints which has all your recipes. Unlike some games where you have to randomly guess a recipe, Subnautica will tell you how to make everything as soon as you discover its main ingredient. Hover over something you want and it says what you need, if those things have to be crafted you can find those things and it also tells you what you need. When you pick up a new material, it will say a bunch of new blueprints are unlocked in the top left.

Though I will say that when you start out, get a knife, a habitat builder and a scanner as quickly as you can so you can start getting into the game proper.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I'm just going to have to build an assload of batteries till I can make a base to recharge them huh? Unless there's an easy way to stay at the bottom of the grassy area longer? It's taken me a long time and I still don't have the base building tool I think I might be doing something wrong.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Invalid Validation posted:

I'm just going to have to build an assload of batteries till I can make a base to recharge them huh? Unless there's an easy way to stay at the bottom of the grassy area longer? It's taken me a long time and I still don't have the base building tool I think I might be doing something wrong.

Yeah, you need to find some silver ore in the kelp forest. They are not really rare but you have to look for them. Just mine a few pieces then you can start building your base.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Silver is most easily found in the grassy plateau. Look around in the red grass for rocks to break. About half the time they contain silver. The only problem is finding them in the first place. You can sometimes find silver in rocks at the edge of kelp forests and grassy plateaus but you're guaranteed a chance to get it in the grassy plateau. Once you've got the habitat builder, you can really get into the game because most modules just need titanium and/or glass which is plentiful. Make sure you've also found a power source as well.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Bought this during the Steam sale this past weekend and played a whole shitload. Got myself a brand new Cyclops to tool around in. I just need to round up some titanium for the hull upgrade and I'll be plunging into the scary deep and dark waters. Probably going to get eaten by a reaper at some point.

This game is pretty darn good so far in it's unfinished state. I can't wait to see what it's like when they finally finish it.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Silver is most easily found in the grassy plateau. Look around in the red grass for rocks to break. About half the time they contain silver. The only problem is finding them in the first place. You can sometimes find silver in rocks at the edge of kelp forests and grassy plateaus but you're guaranteed a chance to get it in the grassy plateau. Once you've got the habitat builder, you can really get into the game because most modules just need titanium and/or glass which is plentiful. Make sure you've also found a power source as well.

Kelp forest should be the first place you look for silver, actually- it's closer, shallower, and not a hellhole full of organic gun turrets and sandsharks.

What you're looking for are sandstone outcrops- the resource a rock drops is determined by rock type, the biome just determines what rock types are found there. Grassy plateaus and kelp forests contain both sandstone and limestone, and kelp forests generally have more sandstone than limestone. It's more common the further in you go, so don't just hunt around the edges where the forest meets the safe shallows.

Pro tip: scan limestone outcrops but don't ever scan sandstone, so the little 'scannable item' popup will alert you to sandstone hidden in the thick grass as you swim past.

Cathair fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jun 27, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Truga posted:

https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

They're preeeety open with their roadmap. No exact date though.

One of the cards there says "Remove terraforming". Are they going to remove our ability to build tunnels in sand?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Knifegrab posted:

One of the cards there says "Remove terraforming". Are they going to remove our ability to build tunnels in sand?

Yes. Doing that causes the save files to balloon up and also causes performance issues. It sucks that you can't build bases into rock faces but it will hopefully make the game run better.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

drat that really sucks, I liked making my little san tunnels.

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
I'm very interested in this, but don't normally play betas/demos/early access games. However, this game looks fairly far along and appears to be the right way to do early access. I often replay games I enjoy, and I've been wanting to play a first person survival game for a while now. Can I play it now, or at this point, since it seems relatively close to release, should I just wait?

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Viperix posted:

I'm very interested in this, but don't normally play betas/demos/early access games. However, this game looks fairly far along and appears to be the right way to do early access. I often replay games I enjoy, and I've been wanting to play a first person survival game for a while now. Can I play it now, or at this point, since it seems relatively close to release, should I just wait?

I'm generally the same way, but I've been casually playing this for the last couple months and haven't felt the lack of story really. Everything is mostly driven by fairly logical self discovery...There's a big crashed ship over there, I should go check it out, oh wait it's leaking radiation, but I can build a radiation suit, etc....

As far as bugs, unfinished stuff, I've been playing on experimental and really haven't run into anything to game breaking (I'm putting some pretty light hours into this though, like maybe 4hr/week). Honestly it's already in better shape than a lot of AAA games on release day. There was one moment where no one could build habitat buildings for couple days right when I finally collected everything I needed to build a moonpool, but that's about as annoying as it got. Major updates do suggest a complete restart, but it's pretty easy to get back to where you were once you "get" how things work.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Found this on the summer sale. It is time to embrace the overwhelming terror of the ocean.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
Is there anything i can mess with in the dev console to make the chunkloading smoother? Especially when cruising around with the seaglide or 'moth the game can get really chuggy.

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.
Picked up in sale also, it's certainly worth the price already.

I feel the rate at which you need to eat and drink is quite high, not so bad when you are up and running but still a pain in the arse. However it is called survival mode so can't complain too much, I guess it just felt a bit like a chore rather than a need that was particularly difficult to meet.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It gets even easier. The second you have fruit trees they produce so much moisture and food and require no input that you can easily refill fully any time you go to base, and the stillsuit nearly ends the water game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Night10194 posted:

It gets even easier. The second you have fruit trees they produce so much moisture and food and require no input that you can easily refill fully any time you go to base, and the stillsuit nearly ends the water game.

At the moment you can put a growbed and battery/power cell chargers on the Cyclops and be completely self-sustaining indefinitely in complete violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

Mister Bup
Dec 26, 2015
Is there actually an endgame and stuff to this now? I played it maybe a year ago and it was fun for a few days but there was nothing to actually do once you had the big submarine aside from looking at the pretty biomes for a while. I also turned off the hunger and thirst since they were completely overbearing.

Would be neat on VR.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Xanderkish posted:

I'm not sure if I should be impressed or concerned that you end up playing a game that is entirely about your phobia.

Also fun fact: Apparently bing searching a phobia brings up pictures of the phobic object. That seems ill-advised.

It's only really, really deep water and implausibly scary things living in it that worry me.

(MOOOOOOOOOO)

More seriously I am trying to work through it, not least because I want to go scuba diving someday.

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jun 28, 2016

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Mister Bup posted:

Is there actually an endgame and stuff to this now? I played it maybe a year ago and it was fun for a few days but there was nothing to actually do once you had the big submarine aside from looking at the pretty biomes for a while. I also turned off the hunger and thirst since they were completely overbearing.

Would be neat on VR.

They're adding actual content at a pretty good clip right now. The next update is supposedly going to add some areas to the Aurora and they've been adding some of the "End Game" facility over the last several patches. That said, there's no cohesive story at this point.

VR support is kind of lacking at the moment, but that's a good thing, because I'm pretty sure this game may be the first VR game to actually kill someone when a Reaper sneaks up on them for the first time

GreyjoyBastard posted:

More seriously I am trying to work through it, not least because I want to go scuba diving someday.

I guess that's one way to handle a fear....The last thing I want to do after playing this game is go scuba-diving.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 28, 2016

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

MrDorf posted:

I guess that's one way to handle a fear....The last thing I want to do after playing this game is go scuba-diving.

Exposure therapy is actually an effective way to deal with phobias. Immersing yourself entirely in your phobic environment tends to make your anxiety go down. I've done it for a few things.

Granted, my exposures did not involve close proximity with giant man-eating sea-assholes, so your mileage may vary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Despite having some minor fear of the sea myself, I can confirm scuba diving is rad and there are many pretty fishes.