Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Yeah I frame limit manually and always forget to turn it off for benchmarks

Does anybody remember what that new vsync style tech was called in that nvidia slide ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Fast sync. And the way nvidia looks at it, it's supposed to benefit above the frame rates where Gsync has its greatest effect, so that they both work together.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing
Fast sync is just forced triple buffering that actually works.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
I just use adaptive vsync from the Nvidia control panel and I've been happy with that.

I'm not going to touch a Gsync/Freesync monitor unless its IPS. This is my first IPS monitor and there is no way I'm going back. That means shelling out more money which I don't feel like doing right now.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Of the AIB vendors that offer AMD graphics cards, is there one that is slightly better than the others? I know all the launch day RX480s will have reference coolers, but is there a vendor with a longer warranty, better RMA practices, or one that won't get butthurt if I remove the cooling solution (in order to use one of those Krakens or something)?

My personal experience with Asus is that they are total assholes, will probably avoid their card if I can.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

PBCrunch posted:

Of the AIB vendors that offer AMD graphics cards, is there one that is slightly better than the others? I know all the launch day RX480s will have reference coolers, but is there a vendor with a longer warranty, better RMA practices, or one that won't get butthurt if I remove the cooling solution (in order to use one of those Krakens or something)?

My personal experience with Asus is that they are total assholes, will probably avoid their card if I can.

I don't know if they're "better" overall, but XFX is the only one I've seen with a backplate model announced.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

wicka posted:

I don't know if they're "better" overall, but XFX is the only one I've seen with a backplate model announced.

What is the practical use of a backplate? I can imagine it makes it a little sturdier, but that'd only come into play if the alternate cooler is super heavy.
Are they just to make it look pretty?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

they're also a barrier for spilling liquids on top of the case so they instead spill on the motherboard instead of all of the electrically sensitive gpu circuitry on the back of the pcb!!

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Except for the cutouts around the backside of the actual important silicon, and... "creative choices". :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

The XFX RX 480 comes with a DP to DVI dongle for anyone concerned: http://imgur.com/a/3iTkS

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I don't supposed AMD has offered any information about how the various outputs can be used simultaneously.

I ask because my old Radeon HD 6870 required a bunch of extra bits and pieces to get it to work with four DVI monitors.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

PBCrunch posted:

I don't supposed AMD has offered any information about how the various outputs can be used simultaneously.

I ask because my old Radeon HD 6870 required a bunch of extra bits and pieces to get it to work with four DVI monitors.

No but looks like you'd need 3 DP to dvi and 1 HDMI to dvi, although AMD has been great with 4 monitors on every card I can think of going years back

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

wicka posted:

I think Sapphire has as well.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PBCrunch posted:

MSI has a three year transferable warranty and you'll fare a little better with RMAs vs with Asus or Gigabyte.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

tijag posted:

So I'm looking at building a new computer and want 1440p 144mhz screen.

Right now I'm leaning towards free sync and an rx480, but could be convinced to spend more on an nvidia setup if it's significantly better.

Only two games i care about probably are WoW and HotS.

Can I get good results out of the less recursive AMD path?

The problem is that it's just not a lot of horsepower for 1440p 144fps. HOTS is going to be fine, you can run Starcraft clones on a potato, but anything involving a lot of 3D rendering is going to be a strain for that tier of performance. This includes WoW, although you can probably hold a 70fps framerate most of the time with some areas being higher and some being lower. Most FPSs are going to have the same problem, you'll be dropping settings to keep the framerate up, and you're definitely not going to be pushing a full 144 fps most of the time.

The RX480 is going to perform like a 290 or 290X, so you can look at those cards to get an idea of what to expect. The 290 roughly corresponds to a 970, which used to be considered the standard buy-in for high-settings 1080p gameplay (but started to need some settings tweaks towards the end of its lifespan). The 980 Ti (~50% faster) used to be considered the standard buy-in for high-settings 1440p. You can get away with higher resolutions by keeping the settings reasonable.

The upside is that with FreeSync/GSync framerate drops aren't really a huge deal, as long as you are within the sync range of the monitor. 70fps dipping to 40fps isn't really making full use of your 144hz monitor, but it's going to be perfectly playable.

GSync's main advantage is that NVIDIA makes the module and all monitors have the same sync range, and it's typically wider than FreeSync. Some FreeSync monitors have a really tiny sync range, so you need to pay attention to the specific monitor. GSync also used to have frame doubling support, which kicks in when your framerate is extremely slow (20-30hz). Supposedly this got implemented in FreeSync about 6 months ago (in monitors whose top sync rate is at least 2.5x the lowest sync rate) - until then FreeSync monitors would revert to a fixed refresh rate with VSync enabled. GSync also usually supports ULMB, which strobes the monitor backlight for increased clarity (but only works at a fixed 120hz and cannot be used with GSync active).

So basically either a competently implemented FreeSync or GSync monitor is fine, but NVIDIA has their fingers in the product engineering so all GSync monitors are competently implemented whereas there are some turds in the FreeSync lineup, plus GSync has some other minor benefits.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 26, 2016

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
For AMD go XFX, Sapphire, VisionTek or MSI, as they all have higher build quality and better warranties (3 year to lifetime).

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which one's the best out of those four? My two 6870s are XFX and they helped me out when the cooler died on one.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
Honestly, I'd say XFX. XFX has a basic two year warranty, but 1) has lifetime if you register 30 days after purchase 2) warranty is transferable once 3) they really do not care if you remove the HSF as long as you replace it for RMA 4) They're super generous usually, and will even replace RMA'd products they no longer have in stock with slightly better versions 5) Support is notably good and helpful.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

PerrineClostermann posted:

Which one's the best out of those four? My two 6870s are XFX and they helped me out when the cooler died on one.

Sapphire upgraded my vanilla Radeon 7850 1GB to a Radeon 7850 2GB OC Edition when I RMA'd it for a broken fan screw. They took care of shipping both ways; only took about 2-3 days of transit time total. I plan on getting a Sapphire RX 480 and giving my 970 to my dad.

[edit] Although, XFX lifetime warranty is pretty nice... so hmmmmmm.

teagone fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 26, 2016

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
https://www.destructoid.com/suggested-price-warriors-are-vandalizing-geforce-1080-reviews-368688.phtml

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

every stock fell on the 24th, guy

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

wicka posted:

every stock fell on the 24th, guy

That was the day the Brexit vote came back "leave". World markets dropped a total of $2.1 trillion.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ethereum miners are already starting to hoard RX480s, release date be damned :v:

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I love how loving oblivious these people are to the outside world.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

quote:

Have you seen Nvidia's stock? It was like $15 for the last five years and suddenly more than doubled. It's because they're making the worst video card ever.

So to start, argument from stock price. Good, good. It's always a good idea to identify that you're arguing from the company's interests right off the bat. Let's just gloss over their margins and move to the next one. And then all the "woops I missed Brexit and am talking about how NV's share price dropped maybe because of AMD cards, I didn't actually check their stock price (it's basically a smaller, cuter, mirror image)".

quote:

Nvidia's GeForce GTX 1080 is faster and more power efficient than their previous Titan flagship, it costs less to make -- and they're passing the savings down. It's a no-brainer upgrade. The 10 Series are so popular that they are sold out at every online and major retail partner.

Holy loving poo poo I had no idea people actually went with the Titan X comparison outside NV marketing slides. So a stupid comparison that dodges the valid comparison points, which are how the similar part in the stack from last generation (980) was priced, how it's priced within its stack (ie against the 1070), and how it's priced to the 980 Ti, you know, the card that everybody who wanted high end performance bought from last generation.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I honestly can't tell what stance or tone the article is trying to take, and its ultimate conclusion is "poo poo sucks right now, wait things out."

Destructoid is worthless.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

PerrineClostermann posted:

I honestly can't tell what stance or tone the article is trying to take, and its ultimate conclusion is "poo poo sucks right now, wait things out."

Destructoid is worthless.

Considering the start is trying to wedge in a S_W phrasing I think it's trying to generate outrage from people who don't really think things through. Oh no, scalpers' listings of video cards are getting bad reviews. The regular sellers are going to go to the front of the search queue once they have stock and they'll have untarnished reviews.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I couldnt even make it through the article but the headline is true, there were like a hundred 1 star reviews from people who never owned the card. Yeah I get it you want one real bad, but dont do that poo poo please.

And no, the 1 star reviews affect the actual model that Amazon will eventually sell because they are the same model number (and several of them have already been sold then sold out through Amazon through those product listings). Unless some poor Amazon schlub is forced to read every single one of those because they are reported, they will always affect the rating of the cards until there are so many real reviews they simply get averaged out.

edit: Which is already happening, most of those cards had a solid 1 star review for a week or so... but just grow up, basically

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 27, 2016

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

repiv posted:

Ethereum miners are already starting to hoard RX480s, release date be damned :v:

this poo poo is the worst

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FaustianQ posted:

Honestly, I'd say XFX. XFX has a basic two year warranty, but 1) has lifetime if you register 30 days after purchase 2) warranty is transferable once 3) they really do not care if you remove the HSF as long as you replace it for RMA 4) They're super generous usually, and will even replace RMA'd products they no longer have in stock with slightly better versions 5) Support is notably good and helpful.

Not that it matters since it's all rumormongering, but the leaked reviews seem to indicate the xfx version is going to have the highest factory over clock of what's been leaked so far, too.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

People leaking say they can't go over 1400mhz on the available reference card though.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Not that it matters since it's all rumormongering, but the leaked reviews seem to indicate the xfx version is going to have the highest factory over clock of what's been leaked so far, too.

it's 1288mhz, not much over stock. probably not worth paying a premium.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

repiv posted:

i cant wait to buy it used for $100 6 months from now

NoDamage
Dec 2, 2000

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I couldnt even make it through the article but the headline is true, there were like a hundred 1 star reviews from people who never owned the card. Yeah I get it you want one real bad, but dont do that poo poo please.

And no, the 1 star reviews affect the actual model that Amazon will eventually sell because they are the same model number (and several of them have already been sold then sold out through Amazon through those product listings). Unless some poor Amazon schlub is forced to read every single one of those because they are reported, they will always affect the rating of the cards until there are so many real reviews they simply get averaged out.

edit: Which is already happening, most of those cards had a solid 1 star review for a week or so... but just grow up, basically
While I think it's pretty dumb that you can leave negative reviews for a product you haven't purchased, I doubt that these reviews have any effect whatsoever on sales of these cards. If you know you want a 1080, you're going to buy one regardless of whether some reviewers whine about the supply/price.

IndianaZoidberg
Aug 21, 2011

My name isnt slick, its Zoidberg. JOHN F***ING ZOIDBERG!
Does anyone have any issue with Zotac GPUs? I just asked my goon playmate about there GPUs and he said "they are built cheap, don't buy one". I think he's full of poo poo and want to see what y'all think.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

IndianaZoidberg posted:

Does anyone have any issue with Zotac GPUs? I just asked my goon playmate about there GPUs and he said "they are built cheap, don't buy one". I think he's full of poo poo and want to see what y'all think.

Zotac has been making very good cards for quite a while, they are not at the level of MSI or EVGA as far as RMA service and support goes but the hardware is very good.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

NoDamage posted:

While I think it's pretty dumb that you can leave negative reviews for a product you haven't purchased, I doubt that these reviews have any effect whatsoever on sales of these cards. If you know you want a 1080, you're going to buy one regardless of whether some reviewers whine about the supply/price.

Amazon uses a lot of algorithms to weight the reviews. They compensate for this kind of one-star flooding, though it isn't perfect / takes time.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

IndianaZoidberg posted:

I had a Zotac Gtx 460 that I had no issues with. I used for like 2 years without issue in a SLI configuration. Other than this anecdotal evidence, I never used them for RMA service.

tijag
Aug 6, 2002

Paul MaudDib posted:

The problem is that it's just not a lot of horsepower for 1440p 144fps. HOTS is going to be fine, you can run Starcraft clones on a potato, but anything involving a lot of 3D rendering is going to be a strain for that tier of performance. This includes WoW, although you can probably hold a 70fps framerate most of the time with some areas being higher and some being lower. Most FPSs are going to have the same problem, you'll be dropping settings to keep the framerate up, and you're definitely not going to be pushing a full 144 fps most of the time.

The RX480 is going to perform like a 290 or 290X, so you can look at those cards to get an idea of what to expect. The 290 roughly corresponds to a 970, which used to be considered the standard buy-in for high-settings 1080p gameplay (but started to need some settings tweaks towards the end of its lifespan). The 980 Ti (~50% faster) used to be considered the standard buy-in for high-settings 1440p. You can get away with higher resolutions by keeping the settings reasonable.

The upside is that with FreeSync/GSync framerate drops aren't really a huge deal, as long as you are within the sync range of the monitor. 70fps dipping to 40fps isn't really making full use of your 144hz monitor, but it's going to be perfectly playable.

GSync's main advantage is that NVIDIA makes the module and all monitors have the same sync range, and it's typically wider than FreeSync. Some FreeSync monitors have a really tiny sync range, so you need to pay attention to the specific monitor. GSync also used to have frame doubling support, which kicks in when your framerate is extremely slow (20-30hz). Supposedly this got implemented in FreeSync about 6 months ago (in monitors whose top sync rate is at least 2.5x the lowest sync rate) - until then FreeSync monitors would revert to a fixed refresh rate with VSync enabled. GSync also usually supports ULMB, which strobes the monitor backlight for increased clarity (but only works at a fixed 120hz and cannot be used with GSync active).

So basically either a competently implemented FreeSync or GSync monitor is fine, but NVIDIA has their fingers in the product engineering so all GSync monitors are competently implemented whereas there are some turds in the FreeSync lineup, plus GSync has some other minor benefits.

I'm thinking then I should just get a 1080p monitor unless I'm willing to spend big money on gsync and at least a 1070?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Zotact's Amp! Extreme Edition version of the 980 Ti is probably one of the fastest out of the box cards on the planet, equal in speed to the MSI 980 Ti Lightning. (but much louder, I'd rather go for quiet than power, and the lightning has both)

Hopefully the 1070/1080 versions will be the same. No idea on customer service though.