Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Michaellaneous posted:

If I finish reading a skillbook and it says "You learned everything you can", but a bunch of recipes are still grey.
Do I have to read it longer?

Nope, you have to increase your skills before you can learn the other recipes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

Nope, you have to increase your skills before you can learn the other recipes.

To build on this, rarely do you need to raise the skill the book teaches. Usually you need to raise a different skill instead.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

n.b. don't bother memorising recipes from books. Just have the book nearby when you want to craft, that's good enough.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

n.b. don't bother memorising recipes from books. Just have the book nearby when you want to craft, that's good enough.

Grey books become joint paper, yellow books go into the shelf with all the tools I don't need to pick up (metalcrafting, cooking, etc).

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
I went with becoming a karate master, spent about four ingame days tearing rear end through a city's worth of zombies without ever being seriously wounded, cleared out almost the entire western half of the city, and set to systematically looting the whole place so I could turn a mansion on the outskirts into a doom fortress. Ran across an NPC who kept shouting that they really wanted to talk to me while following me around, and after a long time of ignoring them I finally decided to go over and see what they wanted. They immediately attempted to rob me, I told them to go gently caress themselves, they opened up on me with a UMP-45 on full auto and killed me before I even got within punching range. RIP Ultimate Karateman, the 400+ zombies you killed will stand as testament to your badassery.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
I've never found NPCs to have anything good to say.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

if you run into an npc, always pack heat. i prefer shotguns, because they'll basically always hit.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
Karate master is a really interesting play style, incidentally. You want to keep your encumbrance as close to zero as possible, so that means minimal storage space and minimal armor, and you're never going to need a weapon except an emergency ranged option of some kind. Start with the Black Belt profession and decent Strength and Dex, go with a style that gives you plenty of blocks and/or good mobility, and you're basically immune to zombies unless they're just completely swarming you (the most I was able to take on simultaneously and walk away from unscathed was 8). That gives you effectively unlimited freedom of movement in cities, even with static spawn on, and since you won't be looting much, it encourages a much more nomadic style of play. I didn't even have a home base, I just wandered around the city karate-chopping zombies and eating all the perishable foods, marking large stocks of unperishables for later and crashing in the nearest house when I started to get tired.

e: I started a new game, spent the first day getting my shelter pretty well stocked with poo poo looted from a nearby town, and the next night while I slept a loving wandering NPC smashed one of the windows and stole a bunch of my poo poo. Heavy Sleeper is bad, and also murder all NPCs.

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 27, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mister Bates posted:

I went with becoming a karate master, spent about four ingame days tearing rear end through a city's worth of zombies without ever being seriously wounded, cleared out almost the entire western half of the city, and set to systematically looting the whole place so I could turn a mansion on the outskirts into a doom fortress. Ran across an NPC who kept shouting that they really wanted to talk to me while following me around, and after a long time of ignoring them I finally decided to go over and see what they wanted. They immediately attempted to rob me, I told them to go gently caress themselves, they opened up on me with a UMP-45 on full auto and killed me before I even got within punching range. RIP Ultimate Karateman, the 400+ zombies you killed will stand as testament to your badassery.

Even a karateman should pack a rifle, imo. Leave it in the trunk of your electric motorbike. Headshot any NPCs you see before they have the chance to say anything. It's the only way to be sure.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
Ram NPCs with vehicles. It doesn't incur any murder guilt and I'm pretty sure they don't even properly grasp that you're responsible, if they somehow survive.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

also try to find a kevlar vest. it only has 5 encumberance when fitted, and its enough to stop most pistol rounds from doing too much damage.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Marenghi posted:

I've never found NPCs to have anything good to say.

Static NPCs but the best NPC is the 'kill my zombie mom' mission because it shows a city.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Mister Bates posted:

e: I started a new game, spent the first day getting my shelter pretty well stocked with poo poo looted from a nearby town, and the next night while I slept a loving wandering NPC smashed one of the windows and stole a bunch of my poo poo. Heavy Sleeper is bad, and also murder all NPCs.

If you can find any bear traps those work wonders for home defense while you sleep, especially if you can force intruders to walk through a few in a row. I've never seen how well they work on NPCs but a few of them in a row will kill zombies pretty good. Just throw a rock at them to disarm 'em as needed and you'll be very likely good to rearm them elsewhere even without any trapping skill.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008

Mister Bates posted:

They immediately attempted to rob me, I told them to go gently caress themselves, they opened up on me with a UMP-45 on full auto and killed me before I even got within punching range.

Dynamic NPC games require a playstyle totally different from static NPC games. In static you can gear up for pure anti-zombie/anti-turret defense. I go with light survivor gear and occasional turnout trousers and boots against acid, plus a heavy survivor set for crashing labs. In dynamic I get heavy survivor gear ASAP and don't take it off until I find power armor. The risk of an NPC coming around the corner and blasting you with an M4 in dynamic demands full bulletproof at all times.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

aw, they got rid of the sawn off saiga, so now i can't have one in a pistol holster, so i guess the best shotgun now is the ksg, because throwing a folding stock onto that lets it fit in one, while also have 14 goddang shells in it.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Roobanguy posted:

aw, they got rid of the sawn off saiga, so now i can't have one in a pistol holster, so i guess the best shotgun now is the ksg, because throwing a folding stock onto that lets it fit in one, while also have 14 goddang shells in it.

What? Whoah I've been away for a long time. When did they add the KSG? That's a cool as hell gun.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Artificer posted:

What? Whoah I've been away for a long time. When did they add the KSG? That's a cool as hell gun.

no clue, but you can change between the different tubes with the change fire command, so you can have 2 different tubes that have different kinds of shells in them. i currently have 1 with buckshot and the other with slugs.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Roobanguy posted:

so can you die from not sleeping for like 5 days because you drank around 30 cups of atomic coffee, other than the obvious radiation poisoning? i kinda don't want to lose this character cause i had a real good start by finding an atomic coffee maker and lamp, along with a working motorcycle.

you cannot die from sleep deprivation and as a matter of fact if you use stimulants responsibly enough you will almost never/definitely never need to sleep. the biggest thing you need to watch out for is that if you OD on stimulants, you will have a heart attack, and this definitely will kill you.

the Less Sleep perk and coffee can keep you awake 24/7 with no real downside iirc, though the usefulness of this is less than you'd think. presuming normal-ish builds elsewhere (e.g., no huge learning, reading, or eating disabilities) there's way more than enough resources in a medium sized town to get you past the initial survival hump and into a car or a light survivor suit with backpack so you can hoof it to a place that sucks less. there is no need to hurry to cope with a limited food/water supply, and safe sleeping spaces are easy to work out even in dynamic spawn mode (literally any basement). if you are playing someone who stacks on some serious eating disabilities or stacks something like fast metabolism and slow reader i could see how going no-sleep might help some, but it's mostly a curiosity.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
A zombie child spawned inside a gun store, and it isn't strong enough to bash through the window bars, so it just keeps hitting them over and over, setting off the alarm every single time it does.

It's actually pretty handy, it's drawn every single zombie in town to a building I wouldn't be able to loot anyway.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Roobanguy posted:

Nope. Pretty sure you can still apply a hacksaw to a Saiga.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Anticheese posted:

Nope. Pretty sure you can still apply a hacksaw to a Saiga.

they got rid of it being a seperate, craftable item, which was confusing me because that's how you did it before. i guess they changed it to applying a shortened barrel/hacksaw to it to make the sawn off version at some point.

good to know the saiga is still the best side arm in the game. :v:

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 27, 2016

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I was lurking through their forums and Kevin Granade said something about them putting all the joke items in a mod. I don't know if it also removes fursuits and dildos, etc like people originally suggested.

Strumpie
Dec 9, 2012
He has always pushed for a blacklist or otherwise segregate the more dubious items away from the main game.

Last time he made an effort he got shouted down by the creeps and had to backtrack, so maybe he'll do better this time.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you

bitcoin bastard posted:

Static NPCs but the best NPC is the 'kill my zombie mom' mission because it shows a city.

Do static npcs spawn anywhere but your start point and one linked refugee center?

The refugee center is weird. I only encountered it once, did a few missions till o got one to hunt and kill bandits. I think I broke the mission because I smiled them from afar instead of speaking to them first. The mission vanished from the list and when I returned the refugee center was a ghost town.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

So I got a quest to find someone's lost dog. They gave me a dog whistle, which has gotten the dog to turn passive, but the dog isn't following me. What gives/Am I just screwed with trying to get the dog to do something other than faff around in place?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

So I got a quest to find someone's lost dog. They gave me a dog whistle, which has gotten the dog to turn passive, but the dog isn't following me. What gives/Am I just screwed with trying to get the dog to do something other than faff around in place?

Yeah the dog whistle only controls a dog after it is bonded to you by giving it dog food. No, this is not explained in the quest anywhere. Another option is to grab a pet carrier, they spawn in vet offices and very rarely as random loot. I think you can also attach a leash to them with a rope.

I did manage to lead a dog all the way pack to the quest giver with nothing more than a whistle put it was super tedious and involved me pushing it the entire way.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Yeah the dog whistle only controls a dog after it is bonded to you by giving it dog food. No, this is not explained in the quest anywhere. Another option is to grab a pet carrier, they spawn in vet offices and very rarely as random loot. I think you can also attach a leash to them with a rope.

I did manage to lead a dog all the way pack to the quest giver with nothing more than a whistle put it was super tedious and involved me pushing it the entire way.

Last option's gonna be a non-starter (even though it gives a great image of someone trying to push on a great big dog who just wants to sleep all day only stopping to kill the occasional zombie hassler) - the rope leash sounds the most promising, how do I make that work?

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009
I'm trying to start a new game in the latest experimental build and I don't see an option to disable zombie respawning from corpses. Am I missing it somewhere or has the option been removed?

While we're at it, any recommendations for mods to activate or settings to use? I haven't played since before the experimental Z levels feature, so I'm curious how good that is.

Spoggerific fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 30, 2016

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Spoggerific posted:

I'm trying to start a new game in the latest experimental build and I don't see an option to disable zombie respawning. Am I missing it somewhere or has the option been removed?

It's a mod now. Include it at worldgen.

Solid Poopsnake
Mar 27, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I use an unreasonable amount of mods. Icecoons weapons, craftable weapons, foldables, all the vehicles, slow zombies, more survival, and more. I don't use necromancy, replicas... maybe a couple others, but i use almost all the mods. It's fun!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Decided to fire this up again and its pretty fun sticking with addictions instead of just sitting down with a book and cold turkey-ing the withdrawals away. Ran out of cigs and none of the nearby houses had any cigs, so I grabbed my shotgun and started breaking into various stores in hopes of grabbing a pack of smokes. No success with stores, but I had success at the end of the night by finding a pack of smokes in a car.

palamedes
Mar 9, 2008
Just tried a Robust Genetics + Genetic Chaos start for the first time. It was interesting for a year but I think I'm done with it for a while. My mutations sprinted right down the Chimera line and having Sleepy, High Thirst, and Fast Metabolism was an unfun hassle. And then I sprouted hooves and exploded my RM13 armor. Five stars.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
So I'm still playing 0.C, whats been updated since then? Last I heard the devs wanted to do stupid poo poo like make guns less viable by removing or severely nerfing bullet creation, and give you a disease for eating too many vitamins cause it isn't kosher to use them in place of actual fruits and veggies? Did they do that and add more fetishes to the game? Should I still stick with 0.C?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

You can't make gunpowder as easily but it doesn't matter, guns are easily feedable with just the ammo you can get from gun stores and tbh that's how most people used guns in 0.C anyway from the looks of things. There are a few people who weren't happy with having their all slug shotgun games nerfed but those people did the sensible thing and installed a mod to restore the gunpowder recipe they need.

Hypervitaminosis is in the game but it does not do anything, is super easy to avoid, and all around generally nutrition is largely unchanged.

On the flip side, static npcs are legitimately fun to play with now and the hit everything with a stick until it dies meta game has been nerfed out a fair bit by the inclusion of stamina - now you can't just punch 100 zombies eternally, you will eventually tire out and need to back off to catch your breath. It makes tactical movement much more important and is overall a great change.

For my money? Get the experimental. It is a better experience.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah, the experimental is a weird buggy mess with a ton of wip features and constantly changing balance, but it's also got a ton more of... everything, really (and since the game's super moddable, you can just take out most dumb changes with a bit of tinkering)

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Has the experimental followed through on limiting number of cyborg parts you can have yet?

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
No, unless they did that in the past couple weeks. Cybermods now have a line in their description saying how many torso slots or whatever they take, but as of right now you have an unlimited number of slots in all body parts, so you can still be Terminator.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

and again, even after they do finally change that, it'll be a trivial matter to just use a mod that gives you 999999999999 space in each slot because it appears to be literally one value in the game files

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Is there really no way to tell my followers to just give me their poo poo? I gave someone a holster with a loaded pistol but they don't seem to be smart enough to know how to use it (I thought they would, I originally didn't think they were smart enough to get in car seats) and it seems I have to get a bunch of cash cards to "buy" it back.

E: Unrelated

Leal fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jul 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Leal posted:

Is there really no way to tell my followers to just give me their poo poo? I gave someone a holster with a loaded pistol but they don't seem to be smart enough to know how to use it (I thought they would, I originally didn't think they were smart enough to get in car seats) and it seems I have to get a bunch of cash cards to "buy" it back.

E: Unrelated

One shotgun shell seems like a small price to pay for this learning experience.