Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Pomp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo_mVOaILqo

someone post that t.hawk vs e.honda st match

Truly the announcer just makes the point better than any commentary with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity

punk rebel ecks posted:

This may sound very stupid, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Why do fighting games have timers? I mean I could understand the point of them in the old arcade days because shop owners wouldn't want matches to last TOO long, but what is the point of having a timer today? I feel that it spoils a lot of good matches.

iamp has no timer

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Broken Loose posted:

The timer forces players to attack. That's it.

If you take damage, you HAVE to at least do more damage than what you took or you'll lose to the timer. Logically, this means both players are almost always trying to kill the other.

You may as well ask why winning and losing are in the game.

But is running away or doing nothing really a viable tactic or is even possible with so many projectile attacks and what not?

Pomp posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bo_mVOaILqo

someone post that t.hawk vs e.honda st match

Wow, this single video explains everything. The contrast between round 1 and round 2 is huge.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

This may sound very stupid, but I'm going to ask it anyway.

Why do fighting games have timers? I mean I could understand the point of them in the old arcade days because shop owners wouldn't want matches to last TOO long, but what is the point of having a timer today? I feel that it spoils a lot of good matches.
imagine metaknight grabbing a ledge forever

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
We need timers because games like SFxT and SFV exist.

Alt answer: It's a hold over from arcade machines that fighting games have leaned into. Arcade machines generally reset to attract mode given no input and this is an easy way to accomplish that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
You could do fancier things that serve the same purpose (everyone's health total constantly, slowly drains, the arena slowly gets smaller, whatever -- most of these would be bad ideas but less so if you designed the game with it in mind) but a timer's easier to implement, easier to balance, and easier to understand.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

punk rebel ecks posted:

But is running away or doing nothing really a viable tactic or is even possible with so many projectile attacks and what not?

now some games have no chip death. and even before then, watch sfxt footage

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

punk rebel ecks posted:

Imagine a Guile vs Sim round in SF4 that goes on for 10 minutes with someone taking a risk and landing a hit every 30-60 seconds or so. Basically some characters would never need to take risks if the timer didn't force them.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
In Smash 64 there is no timer on stock matches and in Peru they only played on Hyrule Castle, a stage that is very large and has a lot of platforms really high up. The best 64 player in NA decided to demonstrate to them why you don't play on Hyrule Castle in tournament by using the stages size and platform placement to run away from his opponent for an hour. That was also only a single game in the set. Needless to say Peru changed to the global stage list. Now 64 is a game with such bad defensive options that you can't stall on smaller stages by running away forever. If there was no timer in something like SF and two charge characters were to play each other hour long matches wouldn't be that uncommon.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

where's that one smash brawl tourney vid where it's mew2king playing on some stage with a bunch of platforms floating on a rail by getting a single hit and then running away through the stage for like 30 minutes until his opponent suicides

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
So Qanba just announced a PS4/PS3/PC-compatible stick that's...less than $100?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

that stick is also loving miniscule lol

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

drat, that's way too cheap

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
They also just announced the Carbon, which is even cheaper and PC- and Android-compatible.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bhsman posted:

They also just announced the Carbon, which is even cheaper and PC- and Android-compatible.

LoL. That's just a rebranded Q1 that looks shittier.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

LoL. That's just a rebranded Q1 that looks shittier.

That's what I thought at first, but the Android thing seems new. Aren't BlazBlue and KoF '98 available on Android now?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

bhsman posted:

That's what I thought at first, but the Android thing seems new. Aren't BlazBlue and KoF '98 available on Android now?

i think kof 13 mobile or w.e it is should be

i have it on ios and it's a lot of fun to mash buttons

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Seems like a fun little thing; cheap-ish stick for a PC player that doubles to work on your phone. May end up becoming more useful in the future than we'd realize. :buddy:

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Does anyone have the ST video where Gief immediately corners Sim and then kills him by ticking into SPD followed by sweep? Sim can't escape because his only reversal is teleport, which leaves him in the same place and Gief punishes with sweep every time.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Since it's come up, for a fighting game babby who's just getting into KI and wants to try playing with a stick (never been a fan of thumbsticks or shoulder buttons for reflexive actions), what's a decent model / who's good to order from? Mad Catz, Qanba? Any to specifically avoid, and what's the difference in the price points they have?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Maluco Marinero posted:

Since it's come up, for a fighting game babby who's just getting into KI and wants to try playing with a stick (never been a fan of thumbsticks or shoulder buttons for reflexive actions), what's a decent model / who's good to order from? Mad Catz, Qanba? Any to specifically avoid, and what's the difference in the price points they have?

Mad Catz, Qanba, and Hori are all good. Get a model that comes with Sanwa parts (most sticks over $100 do). The only other differences in the price ranges are the form factor (some sticks are huge which people like because they're more stable on your lap) and if they're multiconsole or not.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Maluco Marinero posted:

I'm a bit of a Qanba fan and the Q4 works on XBOX360, PS3, and PC at the flip of a switch, plus you can find Q4's for relatively good prices on Amazon. That said, KI is one of those games that is built with pad players in mind, so you aren't that worse off using it. Both players in the grand finals for the CEO KI tourney last night both used pads.

EDIT: If you've got cash to burn, I'm willing to say that Qanba also sells one of - if not the - best stick bags; the Guardian Defender has gotten high marks in almost every review. (Guardian is the new one)

bhsman fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jun 27, 2016

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

I had a look and apparently it's free, think I'll see how well it runs on my asuspad. I already quite like playing old PSX RPG's on ePSXe.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snkplaymore.android010&hl=en

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

bhsman posted:

That said, KI is one of those games that is built with bad players in mind, so you aren't that worse off using it.
Read this as :v:

Yeah I did notice all the pad affordances throughout with right stick combo breakers and left shoulders for triple taps, however I feel like I'll prefer stick just in terms of movement. I find controllers a little too fiddly or something, I dunno.

Thanks for the recommendations, I might try and track down a qanba 4.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

I had a look and apparently it's free, think I'll see how well it runs on my asuspad. I already quite like playing old PSX RPG's on ePSXe.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.snkplaymore.android010&hl=en

thats the one im talking about

it's really fun

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Maluco Marinero posted:

Read this as :v:

Yeah I did notice all the pad affordances throughout with right stick combo breakers and left shoulders for triple taps, however I feel like I'll prefer stick just in terms of movement. I find controllers a little too fiddly or something, I dunno.

Thanks for the recommendations, I might try and track down a qanba 4.

There are several videos that go into the pad vs stick discussion, including this one most recently from SFGod, whose point basically boils down to: If you like movement, pad feels better. If you want better overall execution, sticks will ultimately have the edge. Go with what you feel best with, however.

I also want to add that, other than Qanbas, you can also find a lot of MadCatz TE2s, which have a reputation of being a reliable stick with lots of options for modding. Also, the Defender bag I referred to in my last post is apparently no longer sold on Qanba's official site but may be available on Amazon.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Oh, when I said movement what I meant was I like being able to move my hands, I don't do well with more fine grained movement like on a pad. Big mechanical keyboards and trackballs and large motion is what I prefer.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Maluco Marinero posted:

Oh, when I said movement what I meant was I like being able to move my hands, I don't do well with more fine grained movement like on a pad. Big mechanical keyboards and trackballs and large motion is what I prefer.

Ah OK, I gotcha. Well, my recommendation is to take your time looking over all of your possible options and get the best one for your budget. Oh, and ask as many questions as you need. :)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Tokido is really cool. You guys should read this interview.

https://jiyunajp.wordpress.com/2016/06/18/617-tokido-interview/

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

inthesto posted:

Is Heavy D good in 98UM this is literally the only thing I care about

He's fun, that's all that counts. I mean I play Team Fatal Fury or Boss Team 96 a bunch so what do I know besides whats fun.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Jmcrofts posted:

Tokido is really cool. You guys should read this interview.

https://jiyunajp.wordpress.com/2016/06/18/617-tokido-interview/

interviewer:
"tokido-san are you aware of the :biotruths: that keep women from success and make mark zuckerburg a real hero?"

tokido:
you think too much

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

interviewer:
"tokido-san are you aware of the :biotruths: that keep women from success and make mark zuckerburg a real hero?"

tokido:
you think too much

This is what immediately popped into my head during the interview. Why the gently caress is he connecting Dragon Quest to females in management positions?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

quote:

It’s a weird interview where they seem to be talking at each other instead of to each other at points

It really strikes me as not a conversation there, but a thing this person really wanted to say about <subject> for whatever reason. He found an opportunity to do it in conversation (no matter how tenuous) and then immediately decided to lay it out there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

bhsman posted:

So Qanba just announced a PS4/PS3/PC-compatible stick that's...less than $100?

If that's moddable, it'd make a nice travel stick. Looks nice, too.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
First I'd heard of it, but there's a game coming out next year called Absolver that's like a vaguely Dark Souls-inspired MMO fighting game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTy52Y5PJXY

Interesting idea, though I feel like usually projects that try to put a new spin on fighting games are usually done by people who don't appreciate how hard it is to just design a regular fighting game in the first place, so you end up with a mediocre fighting system as well as a mediocre version of whatever other game type they're trying to mash it up with.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
looks very rock paper scissors which is always the new fg developer go to becasue they dont know anything

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

How durable are the sticks in fightsticks? I'm trying to pull off full circle moves but am worried that I may be too rough with my stick (Madcatz TE2+).

Brosnan posted:

First I'd heard of it, but there's a game coming out next year called Absolver that's like a vaguely Dark Souls-inspired MMO fighting game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTy52Y5PJXY

Interesting idea, though I feel like usually projects that try to put a new spin on fighting games are usually done by people who don't appreciate how hard it is to just design a regular fighting game in the first place, so you end up with a mediocre fighting system as well as a mediocre version of whatever other game type they're trying to mash it up with.

Why the gently caress is every game said to be "Souls-inspired" these days?

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jun 27, 2016

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

dangerdoom volvo posted:

looks very rock paper scissors which is always the new fg developer go to becasue they dont know anything

Ah, Dave Sirlin

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
This mostly just reminds me of Dungeon Fighter Online but in 3D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It isn't nearly explosive enough to be DFO, which is a shame