Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Played a round this afternoon with a friend. He opened with a bogey, and I with a double, and I thought it might be a rough day on the course. Then he chipped in for eagle on 2 and I pitched in for eagle from ~40 yards on 4. I ended up with that eagle and three other missed eagle putts that ended up as tap-in birdies. If I play this well next weekend in our club championship I will be so happy. We're supposed to get a little rain next week but the course will still be very dry and firm so it should be fun as long as I can keep it straight with my driver.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Suprfli6 posted:

Played a round this afternoon with a friend. He opened with a bogey, and I with a double, and I thought it might be a rough day on the course. Then he chipped in for eagle on 2 and I pitched in for eagle from ~40 yards on 4.

not for nothing but i'd have ended my round right there :v:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Played 18 with a friend today on the same course that I shot a 106 on last time a week ago. He usually shoots in the high 80's low 90's.

:boom:

:siren: Broke 90, and shot the best round of my life. :siren:

88! 6 strokes better than my previous best of 94. Had 2 bad drives, one went OOB, but I recovered nicely from both. It's a lot of fun to finally play real golf!

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nice dude.

I see you have the same issues as me where a quad and/or triple every round is inevitable and trying torpedo you.

I usually save mine for 17 so that I gently caress myself though.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Shrapnig posted:

Nice dude.

I see you have the same issues as me where a quad and/or triple every round is inevitable and trying torpedo you.

I usually save mine for 17 so that I gently caress myself though.

That hole was a mess. I tee my ball up high and that particular drive when about 100 yards straight up. I hit a 5 Iron out of the rough, then pulled a 7 iron left and lost the ball. A three put did the rest. One of the keys to this round was having a short memory. For me it was just take one shot at a time and don't look at the scorecard. I knew I had a good round going but i didn't dare look at the scorecard until the round was over.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

grats daslog :toot:

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Played a round at the "fancier" golf club in town (wasnt that fancy). Shot 103 having never played there before, the greens were slow (like holy poo poo slow) and the pace was slower (5 hours on the dot for 18 :cry:) and it was 41 with humidity and no wind.

But I didnt give no fucks. On hole 14 I mashed a drive way longer than I normally do and plopped it into the pond (probably a good 260 yards). Find my ball, drop it, grab my 6I and take the most comfortable swing Ive ever had in my life. Holed it out from 160 yards out, the french guys at the tee blocks ahead were freaking out and my dad was chasing me around for fist bumps and high fives.

I love golf.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

DJExile posted:

grats daslog :toot:

Thanks!

Serious question. I have Ping Karsten game improvement irons. At what point do I ditch them for something more advanced?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

Thanks!

Serious question. I have Ping Karsten game improvement irons. At what point do I ditch them for something more advanced?
They're probably fine until you're a bogey golfer.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Josh Lyman posted:

They're probably fine until you're a bogey golfer.

My wife will like that answer.
Edit: Wait, a Bogey golfer is 90. Let's see what the next two months bring.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

That's about when I switched too. Although there's nothing that says you can't use GI irons as a low handicapper, it's just preference. The Callaway set I used had a lot of offset and looked pretty chunky from above, both of which started annoying me. So I went to a Bridgestone set that fixed that but was still forgiving. I don't really try to shape/flight my irons much so blades or thinner cavity backs aren't really something I'm interested in. I've actually been looking around a bit to see if I can get a good deal on another set of the same irons I use now since they're inexpensive and they're basically perfect for me.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
After weeks of some of the worst weather here in east coast Australia I finally got out for a round today. Had a reasonably decent round of 92 with a few brain explosions as we spent the front nine jammed in between a few social groups In carts playing forsomes took 3 hours then once we were in the clear on the back nine it took my dad and I about 80 minutes.

One man issue I have is slow rate of play where guys won't call you up to at least hit your drive while they are waiting for the group on the green and I feel like it gets into my head and by the time I'm able to hit I spend so long thinking about the shot I end up hitting something dogshit.

Was the first time out with my hoofer bag and I cannot says enough good things about it so easy to carry felt about the same level of fatigue as I would have pulling a cart around (really hilly course). Everything you need is at hand while your walking along. Felt like I was carrying a 17" laptop bag the round which was not bad and I had a few jumpers and bottles of water.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Dimebag posted:

Was the first time out with my hoofer bag and I cannot says enough good things about it so easy to carry felt about the same level of fatigue as I would have pulling a cart around (really hilly course). Everything you need is at hand while your walking along. Felt like I was carrying a 17" laptop bag the round which was not bad and I had a few jumpers and bottles of water.
Did you get the 2016 Hoofer? How does it compare to other stand bags you've owned?

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Yeah 2016 hoofer 5 way. Honestly it's the first stand bag I've owned in about 15 years, the last stand bag I owned was a single star because that was what was done then, so I don't really have anything to compare it with apart from the bag I was using on a cart which is a smaller sized staff bag.

That being said I did buy the hoofer because I saw it can go onto a cart easier than some other carry bag models but given how nice it was to carry I can't imagine that I would go back to a push cart anytime soon. I'm 33 and was slightly hesitant to go back to carrying over using a cart after reading online about it and also in Australia carrying is not the norm a push cart is far more common than either riding or carrying.

Having access to things I need as I walk and it being so well designed it felt more like a hiking pack than actually carrying clubs apart from a bit of club chatter. I managed to fit the following into the bag comfortably while carrying apart from clubs, towel and umbrella today:

1 jumper
1 vest
1 wind jacket
2 dozen balls
1 litre of water
1 litre of Gatorade
1 hip flask of whisky (it's a tradition)
2 snickers bars
1 bag of tees
Backup glove
Beanie
Pouch of tobacco
Phone
Wallet
Keys
Misc divot repairers pencils etc

I could easily see switching out a vest for rainy days and not missing a beat, I left 2 of the pockets empty and was not pressed for space. Just impressed with the build quality and design of the bag, you can see how well it's been refined over the years from the one I had 15 years ago to now.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFbNgObY2PA

Kid definitely has potential with his U.S. Open last week and first two rounds this week, but drat. The protracer really makes it.

Suprfli6 fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 26, 2016

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Well if it can follow that then holy poo poo i'm gonna go buy a protracer right now :v:

"Ohhhhh I don't wanna do this in slow-mo" hahahaha

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

So Els did this Saturday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3MIwowRqu5E

I also did the same thing Saturday from the same distance (well, 154 but who cares). I spent my whole round today being called Ernie Jr.

And also shot 94 despite an 8 and 3 7's. Everything is slowly starting to come together and it :feelsgood:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Ernie loving rules and I could watch his swing all day :allears:

sarehu
Apr 20, 2007

(call/cc call/cc)

Not too hard to be honest, you either do get it or you don't, there are 2 possibilities. So it is a 50% chance

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
Been out at Kohler for the past three days and have two more lined up (Straits and River tomorrow, River again on Tuesday).

I played the Straits yesterday and it just annihilated me. Played from 7150. I was even through 8, then the wind came out. Rest of the round had sustained winds of 25+ mph and the wheels came off fast. I wouldn't have broken 100 without generous use of the max double.

Even downwind holes were really hard because it was difficult to correctly gauge the distance.

On 18 (dead into the wind), I striped a driver and striped a three wood to end up 15 yards short of the green.

I heard that the US Open and PGA were both during odd heat spells with almost no wind, which explains the low scoring. They're playing the Ryder cup there in 3 or 4 years. It's going to be a nightmare (Ryder cup is later in the year when it's guaranteed to be windy).

Also, one of the guys I played with was stupid long. He hit it pin high on 10 (370, uphill, downwind), but it was hilarious to see what happened when he was in a crosswind. I bet some of his tee shots moved 100 yards due to wind, and he hit a couple hooks that took a full 90 degree turn.

And oh my god, 17. 17 is the scariest hole ever designed. I can't put into words how terrifying it is.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
I've been trying to find a course in the Lakewood/Golden Colorado area with a reasonable pace of play. Fossil Trace is nice, well maintained and pretty, but 4:45 is expected, and 5 is not unusual, and the marshals just don't care if the 4 ball in front of you has two open holes in front of them. Fox Hollow, 4:40 is the expected pace of play, and not unusual to push 4:50-5. And, during the week, nothing but retirees, "the men's group" and "the women's group" clogging the course with no recourse. Homestead is ok, but so short and par 65, and features, you guessed it, a men's group and a women's group that are immune to pace of play concerns.

Evergreen golf course (I live in Evergreen) is a joke, greens are terrible, no hole where you can hit driver, 4 driveable par 4s with my 3 wood.

Any Denver area golfers with some suggestions?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

We had a mess yesterday at our club because 16 people came in from a neighboring club (their course was covered all day for some big event), and they sent at least half of them off in just pairs :psyduck:

I swear to god if there's a bigger killer of this drat game than pace of play, I don't know what it is. Stop looking over every putt like it's Sunday at the loving Masters. Stop taking 4 practice swings. You don't have to run up to your ball as soon as you hit it but goddamn, it is really not that hard to play "ready golf".

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

We had a mess yesterday at our club because 16 people came in from a neighboring club (their course was covered all day for some big event), and they sent at least half of them off in just pairs :psyduck:

I swear to god if there's a bigger killer of this drat game than pace of play, I don't know what it is. Stop looking over every putt like it's Sunday at the loving Masters. Stop taking 4 practice swings. You don't have to run up to your ball as soon as you hit it but goddamn, it is really not that hard to play "ready golf".

I play alone, so I'm a single getting with 3 balls or two balls. Sometimes, my partners only play 9, and the course makes me go out on the back alone. Behind stacked up foursomes. I have frequently joined a foursomes to make a 5 ball because it helps the pace. I was in a foursome behind 4 two balls. 4. I asked the starter why they didn't join them up to make 2 foursomes, and he said, "they booked a two ball, we're not going to make them play as a foursome." Really?

Pace of play is my number one problem with my local tracks. If you have an expected pace of play of 4:40, people will play 4:50. None of these courses should be higher than 4 or 4:10.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah my course is flat as hell except for one hole, is 6100 yards from the back tees, and in no way should 18 holes need 4 hours.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

We're fiiiinally getting rain today (and more tomorrow hopefully) so maybe the courses will survive now. Things were getting pretty dire in spots. I was practicing chipping around the 8th green last night and almost had the wedge slip out of my hand when I grounded it because the grass just beyond the fringe was so dry and shiny that there was zero friction.

Unknownmass
Nov 3, 2007

torgeaux posted:

I play alone, so I'm a single getting with 3 balls or two balls. Sometimes, my partners only play 9, and the course makes me go out on the back alone. Behind stacked up foursomes. I have frequently joined a foursomes to make a 5 ball because it helps the pace. I was in a foursome behind 4 two balls. 4. I asked the starter why they didn't join them up to make 2 foursomes, and he said, "they booked a two ball, we're not going to make them play as a foursome." Really?

Pace of play is my number one problem with my local tracks. If you have an expected pace of play of 4:40, people will play 4:50. None of these courses should be higher than 4 or 4:10.

I have had this issue with most of the courses in North Denver/Boulder I have played. I try to not even touch weekends due to a 5 hour round at Coal Creek and 5 hour round at Colorado National this year already. The issues I have seen are new players in a group with other new players. They can play pretty fast ready golf, but if your hitting 120+ score you have to take a lot of shots and this by its nature slows everything down. then your have the packed weekend starts, and its just slows down play for the rest of the day. I have heard Interlocken has good pace of play, to bad its $110 for 18 these days.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I can forgive the duffers and rookies if they at least keep moving.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I played 27 holes today in 99*F heat. I'm dead. I died.

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

DJExile posted:

I can forgive the duffers and rookies if they at least keep moving.

This. If you're gonna be bad, be fast. This is how I golf.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Josh Lyman posted:

I played 27 holes today in 99*F heat. I'm dead. I died.

I had my home inspection this morning and took the day off. We were done at 11:30 and I considered going out except it was that hot + 100% humidity, noped the gently caress outta that and stayed inside all day lol

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I've been hitting my driver a lot better since my 5 hour range session 11 days ago. It's as if practicing helps!

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
I've done something to my left hand. I feel a twinge of pain when I hold a club or twist or rotate, but I can't reliably replicate it. Best I can pinpoint is my left index extensor(?) tendon. Basically I can do something once to get it to flare up, but I can't do it twice and repeat it.

It's been going on for a few weeks now. Don't know if it happened on the course or not, but it definitely gets worse during golf, and it gets in my head and also affects my ability to reliably square the clubface. Anybody dealing with something similar? I have that golf trip in a few weeks. :ohno:

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
For twenty years, I played with the same guy. For the last 8 before I moved to Colorado in 2014, we had the same 4 ball every weekend. Going off first, we could play a decently tough 18 in 3 hours.

Now, I play as a single, hooking up with random joes every round. It's killing me. I run into every bad habit in the book, and just smile, and throw them another ball.

"You've played here before, right? What's good here?" Well, you really only need to hit about 200 from the tee, because it leaves a full wedge in, and longer brings in the water and a bunker." "Ok, I'm hitting driver here." Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Kameh posted:

I've done something to my left hand. I feel a twinge of pain when I hold a club or twist or rotate, but I can't reliably replicate it. Best I can pinpoint is my left index extensor(?) tendon. Basically I can do something once to get it to flare up, but I can't do it twice and repeat it.

It's been going on for a few weeks now. Don't know if it happened on the course or not, but it definitely gets worse during golf, and it gets in my head and also affects my ability to reliably square the clubface. Anybody dealing with something similar? I have that golf trip in a few weeks. :ohno:

Carpal Tunnel, arthritis, torn ligament/tendon that hasnt healed, any number of bone or muscle diseases, hell it could even be a broken bone.

Im forced to deal with a recurring tightness/pain every game because as a teenager I shattered my right hand and had to have reconstructive surgery done on it. To reduce the occurrence and severity it I usually stretch my hands when Im loosening up (sounds dumb but youd be surprised) and carry some ibuprofen or naproxen with me (ask your pharmacist which one to take since medications and NSAIDs dont always mix). If its really bugging you and recurs often enough to be an issue, go to a doctor since it could be something in my list above that needs to be looked at or at the very least eliminated as a cause.

Jovial Cow
Sep 7, 2006

inherently good

Omerta posted:

And oh my god, 17. 17 is the scariest hole ever designed. I can't put into words how terrifying it is.

The approach on 18 I think scared me more. Also gently caress hole 5.

If you can try to play Erin Hills too. Awesome course.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
So now that I'm a real golfer (yes I'm still pumped about breaking 90) I find that at the Range I'm making solid contact on my Irons but I tend to have that closed face on my hybrids. The pro mentioned that I'm casting a little on the hybrids, but I'm deathly afraid to try to tweak my swing now that I'm actually hitting the ball well. Do I try to Youtube my way out of casting, or do I just live with it until I'm more settled in my swing?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

daslog posted:

So now that I'm a real golfer (yes I'm still pumped about breaking 90) I find that at the Range I'm making solid contact on my Irons but I tend to have that closed face on my hybrids. The pro mentioned that I'm casting a little on the hybrids, but I'm deathly afraid to try to tweak my swing now that I'm actually hitting the ball well. Do I try to Youtube my way out of casting, or do I just live with it until I'm more settled in my swing?
Casting has a few causes so without video of your swing, it can be counterproductive. Especially if you're already trying to implement some swing changes, I would wait until those are more ingrained.

edit: Unless your current swing changes are causing even bigger problems that will have to be fixed later on, then obviously you'd want to tackle those first.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jun 29, 2016

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

daslog posted:

Where in your stance are you putting the ball when you hit your hybrids?

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

torgeaux posted:

"You've played here before, right? What's good here?" Well, you really only need to hit about 200 from the tee, because it leaves a full wedge in, and longer brings in the water and a bunker." "Ok, I'm hitting driver here." Ahhhhhhhhhh.

Yes, watching people make mind-numbingly stupid decisions on the course drives me nuts. There's one course I play frequently where the first hole is a perfect example of this (Hansen Dam, since EnsGDT has probably played it too).

Here's a picture of it from the tee box:

It's only about 310 from the blacks and about 280ish from the blues. The tee box is elevated about 30 feet above the fairway, but it's also 20 feet or so below the green, so the hole goes down to the fairway and then straight up a massive hill that's like 45 degrees.

It looks like this from the side:

So you have 2 obvious options:

1 - If you can carry your driver 285, you have a chance of driving the green, or at least getting up to the green level and having an easy chip.

2 - You can hit something <200 off the tee and stay on the flat part of the fairway where you have <110 in to the green.

That's it. There's no other reasonable option, and since 98% of golfers aren't carrying their drive 285, there's really only the one option.

Yet 98% of the guys I've ever witnessed teeing off there (and it's a pretty high number since it's right next to the driving range/chipping area so you get to watch everyone tee off while you're practicing) whip out their driver and hit it 220-250 directly into the hill/rough where they have a nearly impossible shot off of a crazy lie out of heavy rough and make bogey or worse 95% of the time. It's infuriating to watch, especially the guys who I know and have had conversations with them about what's going through their head when they tee off there.

Me: So do you enjoy hitting 60 yard wedges with one foot 2 feet above the other out of thick rough where you can't see the flag?
Them: Well you see, 60 yards is closer than 100 yards, so therefore it's easier!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

People are the worst. That's why I'm a cat lady.