Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Thermopyle posted:

I don't use Twitter, but...i don't see how twitter could be a huge data hog in the first place. It's just small amounts of text.

An enormous portion of tweets have embedded images and videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Just set media preview to none in appearance settings

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

I don't use Twitter, but...i don't see how twitter could be a huge data hog in the first place. It's just small amounts of text.

It's also lots of pictures and short video clips.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Well yes, but aren't those just links? It seems odd to me that apps would just be downloading all linked images and videos by default.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Twidere is free and gives a lot of options for refreshing/downloading, check it out.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Thermopyle posted:

Well yes, but aren't those just links? It seems odd to me that apps would just be downloading all linked images and videos by default.

Mostly they're embedded.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

Nah, the Twitter app will autoplay videos (no audio until you tap it) and show picture previews alongside tweets.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

autoplay videos (no audio until you tap it)

why even autoplay them at all then wth

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Blue Train posted:

Most of them have subtitles.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
So I've been using Airdroid to add music to my phone. Having to upload the files to my internal phone memory because you can't change where the files get uploaded to, which is nice. Anyone know how to do this? I know you can do it on the Web version but that always time-outs so it's useless. Anyway, using My Files, I've moved some files from my device storage to my SD card, but it seems to have straight up deleted them. I've gained the space on my phone, the space has been taken up on my removable card, but I can't find the moved files. I've been searching using My Files, to no avail. I've used Black Player to scan for the files but again, no luck. Any ideas? Cheers.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Does anyone know if the Rainy Mood app uses data? The wifi in my bedroom is kinda spotty and I don't want it to use up my data plan.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Thermopyle posted:

The huge amount of pictures and gifs people post are all downloaded in some twitter apps. The data adds up quickly if you use it very often.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Looks like my SD card was corrupted, ignore my posts, all is working.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Blue Train posted:

Because it's a visual medium? You don't always have to have audio to understand what's happening, and that may very well entice you to tap and watch the whole thing.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Don't forget all funny videos on the internet now have to have

THIS IS FUNNY BECAUSE 😂😂😂😂

plastered across the top and bottom, so you don't really need to watch them at all

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Dumb question but...

I have to connect to a SwiFTP server that's running on a dedicated piece of embedded android hardware. I have to connect, cd to /data/data/(appname)/cache and then upload a custom file. The problem being, the >only< ftp client that has been able to do so successfully is Windows command line FTP. This is apparently a problem with how SwiFTP/various clients handle leading slashes on the cd command. Without the slash, SwiFTP won't let you change directory. However traditional/not-suck clients (e.g. WinSCP) will freak out if the slash is present and try to go to Home or something. Here's some explication about how WinSCP can't handle this:
https://winscp.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=14057

So the version of SwiFTP they've baked into their app isn't being actively maintained any more, and I need to either:
A)Grab a laptop and drive an hour out to installed location for this hardware (and then drive an hour back) and do the FTP myself because apparently no one knows how to use a computer in this organization or
B)Find an Android-equivalent to Windows Command Line on a phone that will actually work in this scenario, and give the tech who has to go out there anyway an instruction list

The vendor/app developer suggested FTP Express, and even gave numbered instructions on how to use it, but it's an ad-riddled piece of crap that has the same leading slash problem WinSCP does. I'm looking at AndFTP in the Play Store which looks pretty ace, but WinSCP is pretty ace and I'm concerned it'll have the same problem. Anyone have any "so simple it usually works" FTP app suggestions?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Poweramp is on sale for $0.99.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Turns out AndFTP worked out fine!

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

Funso Banjo posted:

I am using Podcast Addict, and having an annoying problem.

When I press the button on my headphones to pause/unpause my current podcast, sometimes it rewinds at the same time as unpausing it. It's really annoying, anyone know of a fix, or if I have screwed it up somehow?

Upon further experimentation, When I use the button on my headphones it pauses, and when I press it again, it starts playing. It has rewound x minutes, however. X being roughly equal to the number of minutes I spent paused.

I didn't switch this "feature" on, and it doesn't do this with half of the podcasts I use. Though there seems to be no logical correlation as to which podcasts this occurs with, it seems completely random.

I think it's likely an unsolvable bug, and I'll probably have to try another podcast client. I'll probably come back in a month or two and see if it's sorted, because it's otherwise I really like Podcast Addict.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jun 27, 2016

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
After downloading podcasts manually, I decided to give the podcasts section of Google Play Music a shot. See if it's good enough for my purposes before I go about installing other software. Is there really no way to queue podcasts? The only options I see are to play all the episodes of a single show or play one episode at a time. Since I'm using GPM for music anyway, I'd love to say, "Play podcast 'A' after this album finishes, then play album 'B' as a palette cleanser, then play podcast 'C'." WTF, Google?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Uthor posted:

After downloading podcasts manually, I decided to give the podcasts section of Google Play Music a shot. See if it's good enough for my purposes before I go about installing other software. Is there really no way to queue podcasts? The only options I see are to play all the episodes of a single show or play one episode at a time. Since I'm using GPM for music anyway, I'd love to say, "Play podcast 'A' after this album finishes, then play album 'B' as a palette cleanser, then play podcast 'C'." WTF, Google?

I know you aren't alone in wanting this because it gets brought up frequently but I can't imagine worrying about selecting the next thing to listen to when it's like an hour away. It's the same reason DVRs don't have playlists.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

LastInLine posted:

I know you aren't alone in wanting this because it gets brought up frequently but I can't imagine worrying about selecting the next thing to listen to when it's like an hour away. It's the same reason DVRs don't have playlists.
Literally every podcast player on every platform I've used has playlists. If Google Play Music is missing this, it's a huge oversight.

Never mind that podcasts come in a variety of lengths from a single minute (and maybe shorter!) to multiple hours.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

LastInLine posted:

But playlists are a built in thing in Google Play Music. GPM exclusively works on creating playlists on the fly, even if you just play a single album (it adds all the songs in order to the "now playing" playlist). It's already built in! Why are podcasts excluded?

It's not selecting the next thing an hour away. I noticed it when there were a couple tracks left in the album I was listening to and was like, "listen to The Dollop in 9 minutes whem this album ends" and GPM was all, "NOPE!". Would be great for long drives, too. Right now, I download the mp3s from various podcast sites manually and create a playlist of 2-3 and then don't mess with anything for 2.5 hours, maybe with a little music to bookend everything so I don't worry about running out at the end.

Like I said, it's the first day I've used any podcast app. There's a few other things that annoy me that may push me into looking at a different app, but I may just live with it as I'm already using GPM. This playlist thing is a huge WTF to me, though.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 28, 2016

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

LastInLine posted:

Yeah, that's what I end up having to do. My point (which I made poorly due to rushing my post because I was cooking) is that if you'd had asked me if I wanted quick access to my old tabs I would've said no but in practice I use it if not a lot, then frequently enough to miss it when it's gone on a computer. I guess then it shouldn't surprise me that some people want that same functionality on mobile.

I think Manky was pointing out that menu is in the Windows version too, the History submenu or whatever lists your last closed tabs

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I'm not saying I don't agree that playlists for podcasts should be a thing, I just mean I've never used one or considered it. If I were making a podcast app I'd certainly include functionality for it and would consider it weird to omit it.

baka kaba posted:

I think Manky was pointing out that menu is in the Windows version too, the History submenu or whatever lists your last closed tabs

It is, but it's buried and I don't use it because it's buried. More often than not I just decide it wasn't all that important and forget it simply because it's one extra click. It's the same reason I seldom use tab sync since they moved it from the bottom of the NTP to the same place. It's just deep enough that I won't bother with it on a whim, whereas a prominent always-there link is something that I will use and use frequently.

I could see that same train of thought being used when it comes to the Merged Tab feature.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

This question might be a little niche, but gently caress it:
Anyone else on the latest BeyondPod beta unable to stream episodes?

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

If you're hung up on different concepts of playlists for podcasts you might want to check out Player.FM. Nobody who's happy with PocketCasts or whatever needs to switch but I started using it when I first got on Android and it's got a few cool ideas.

There's traditional subscribe/auto-download but what you're really encouraged to do is use the Play Later list, a playlist like you're talking about. You subscribe to podcasts without autodownloading them and then you just get notifications as new episodes drop. Hit Play Later on the notification (or just Ignore if you don't want that episode) and it'll download and go in the list. Listen to it and it'll fall out of that list and be deleted. You can also go to any show and just add an episode to your Play Later without subscribing. It's a good UX if you like to sample shows you don't want in your subscriptions, relisten to old episodes a lot or have subscriptions that you often don't want to listen to every episode. Not that any of that is impossible in any other player, it just seemed to match my usage patterns a little better than iTunes especially.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

LastInLine posted:

I can't imagine worrying about selecting the next thing to listen to when it's like an hour away.

Pocket Casts does this. It's great because I don't sit down and listen to an hour long podcast in one go, but whenever I'm free to do so. Often I'll resume a podcast when there's only 5 minutes left so it's handy to be able to queue up the next one.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

It is, but it's buried and I don't use it because it's buried.

That menu is one click away, LIL. Not two. I really wouldn't consider it "buried" by any means. :D

Funso Banjo posted:

Upon further experimentation, When I use the button on my headphones it pauses, and when I press it again, it starts playing. It has rewound x minutes, however. X being roughly equal to the number of minutes I spent paused.

I didn't switch this "feature" on, and it doesn't do this with half of the podcasts I use. Though there seems to be no logical correlation as to which podcasts this occurs with, it seems completely random.

I think it's likely an unsolvable bug, and I'll probably have to try another podcast client. I'll probably come back in a month or two and see if it's sorted, because it's otherwise I really like Podcast Addict.

I think this has got to be a bug - have you tried contacting the developer?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is Hangouts on Android acting like completely unusable garbage for anyone else? I'm not sure what causes but the entire app becomes slow to respond and hitting send on a message will cause it to just disappear and then it may or may not ever show up in the conversation. If I keep a conversation open for too long the entire app will just restart itself and any of these now invisible messages that I'm waiting for it to send will be lost. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it's like this. Restarting the app doesn't help, clearing cache/data doesn't help, no idea what else to even try. I found one thread on the product forum from some people who think it is caused by Android Wear but haven't been able to confirm that yet. My friend has the same behaviour and claims she has seen it when her watch was not connected.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tunga posted:

Is Hangouts on Android acting like completely unusable garbage for anyone else? I'm not sure what causes but the entire app becomes slow to respond and hitting send on a message will cause it to just disappear and then it may or may not ever show up in the conversation. If I keep a conversation open for too long the entire app will just restart itself and any of these now invisible messages that I'm waiting for it to send will be lost. Sometimes it works fine but most of the time it's like this. Restarting the app doesn't help, clearing cache/data doesn't help, no idea what else to even try. I found one thread on the product forum from some people who think it is caused by Android Wear but haven't been able to confirm that yet. My friend has the same behaviour and claims she has seen it when her watch was not connected.

Hangouts used to randomly lock up every so often and double/triple send/receive texts. So I switched to Textra. Highly recommend it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

It's been fine for me and I use it a lot, though I don't do anything with Wear beyond reading the most recent notification (no replying or loading the conversation).

Manky posted:

That menu is one click away, LIL. Not two. I really wouldn't consider it "buried" by any means. :D

One click, move the cursor down and mouseover, then wait for the submenu to jump out versus one click and no wait. It's too buried for me. v :) v

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Tunga posted:

Yeah it's been pretty lovely lately, slow to open and crashing every once in a while.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

One click, move the cursor down and mouseover, then wait for the submenu to jump out versus one click and no wait. It's too buried for me. v :) v

I want to save your lost tabs from limbo! Last thing I'm going to say - next time you're using Chrome on Windows, try hitting alt, then space, then h.

Never leave a tab behind.

Manky fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jun 28, 2016

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Manky posted:

I want to save your lost tabs from limbo! Last thing I'm going to say - next time you're using Chrome on Windows, try hitting alt, then space, then h.

Never leave a tab behind.

I'll try to remember that one, I usually do ctrl+y for the History page but it's messy since it doesn't just show the last ten tabs to close. I appreciate you finding me a faster way to access that submenu though. It's been a minor peeve of mine for while now.

I'll save those tabs yet!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

WHAT A GOOD DOG posted:

Hangouts used to randomly lock up every so often and double/triple send/receive texts. So I switched to Textra. Highly recommend it.
95% of my Hangouts usage is Hangouts, not SMS, because I am not a caveman.

LastInLine posted:

It's been fine for me and I use it a lot, though I don't do anything with Wear beyond reading the most recent notification (no replying or loading the conversation).
Same, I don't use the Wear integration at all beyond reading the odd notification. I have no idea what it is but it's pretty lovely, it started a couple of months back for both me and my friend.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Hangouts is one of my most-used apps. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with it but I only use it for Hangouts messages and GV.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Any way to mass delete texts every once in a while without doing it manually? I just don't care about keeping them around.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Any way to mass delete texts every once in a while without doing it manually? I just don't care about keeping them around.

Depends on the app you're using but most of them have a way to trim conversations at a certain length which you can set absurdly low if you'd like. In Hangouts at least you can long press conversations to select them and delete or archive them all at once. I'd imagine most SMS apps support that functionality as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
Does anyone have the issue with hangouts where you tap a notification, and the splash screen never fades away? It happens to me once a week at best, and multiple times a day at worst. This has plagued me through my GSIII running CM and now my bone stock Droid Turbo.

You end up having to back out to the conversation list, but now whatever conversation you were trying to read is marked as read. It's a real treat when you just want to reply to a text quickly.