Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Holy poo poo. I like to do a bit of ballpoint sketching myself but that is unreal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I feel like I can smell that page. I mean that in the best way.

Freak Magnet
Jan 12, 2010

Drifting - It's not for the faint of heart.
Hi. I started to make an attempt at being an illustrator in October last year. I've been trying to improve every day since then. I thought I'd share my drawings. Pen, pencil on 150gm paper.

There's more if you want to see them. These are taken from my instagram.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Freak Magnet posted:

Hi. I started to make an attempt at being an illustrator in October last year. I've been trying to improve every day since then. I thought I'd share my drawings. Pen, pencil on 150gm paper.

Beautiful work. What is your IG?

Freak Magnet
Jan 12, 2010

:-)

https://www.instagram.com/ashton_creative

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Freak Magnet posted:

:eyepop:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Yup, echoing everyone that those are beautiful. I'm still working on developing a confident hand when inking. Do you have any particular tips/suggestions, or is it mostly a matter of practice-practice-practice?

Freak Magnet
Jan 12, 2010

Erm... I draw practically everything out in a 4h pencil as lightly as I can, then go over it using a set of unipin / pigma micron pens. Erasing the pencil bits as I go. I'm still learning the basics at the moment, so I'm still trying to figure out the best methods. :-)

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
pastel and novelty glasses

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

Status Epilepticus posted:

pastel and novelty glasses

I like it!

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

Freak Magnet posted:

Erm... I draw practically everything out in a 4h pencil as lightly as I can, then go over it using a set of unipin / pigma micron pens. Erasing the pencil bits as I go. I'm still learning the basics at the moment, so I'm still trying to figure out the best methods. :-)

I love the ornamental element in your work! What kind of paper do you find yourself using? I keep going between watercolor paper and bristol for my ink drawings.

Here's my ink drawing of Rey in her scavenger outfit. Probably going to do the coloring in photoshop to finish it off though.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
1920s cartoony spider monster v space hotdog.

Crypticult
Jan 18, 2008
Working on perspective and shadows and texture.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Crypticult posted:

Working on perspective and shadows and texture.

That's hella cool. It may just be the photo, but it looks like you should push your darks a little bit more. Specifically in the shadow areas around the fingers, especially the pinky finger. It all has basically the same value, so it's confusing. The shadow on the thumb as well is kinda off/too dark with the cast light coming from the r/hand side, but i'm just nitpicking. It's a eally solid piece and well done overall. Some things to be mindful of in the future I guess.

Status Epilepticus
Feb 22, 2009
crop of an oil

CobwebMustardseed
Apr 8, 2011

And some said he would just be a shell of his former self upon his return.

I think that's breath-takingly lovely. What a talent you have.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008
Been working on this one for awhile. 'The Whispering in the Trees', 7" X 9" Pen and ink.

The Earl of ToeJam
Jan 22, 2012
Everything on this page is dope. Keep it up!

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

Watercolour.

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

I've been working on some portraits of people eating sour candy. Trying something new.

Galileo Fingers
Jun 28, 2008

Yoshi Jjang posted:

Watercolour.

Love how delicately you handled the wrinkles in the face. I always have so much trouble with them.

Edit: Here's another drawing of a hoverfly. I've kind of been blowing up this thread, I'm trying to be more productive lately.

Galileo Fingers fucked around with this message at 14:28 on May 22, 2016

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
I found an old Moleskine watercolor book I haven't painted in in a while (the paper quality is ehh) and decided to give it another go. Turns out the paper can hold more layers of color than I thought, and I do like the smooth texture. I got sick for Memorial Day weekend so I've had plenty of free time at home to churn out a few pages:

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Double-post for coyote:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
I drank too much coffee

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

^^^: I love it!

Here's the first thing I've done in a while, other than a weird BYOB art contest.

I don't have a scanner, hence the sepia cast, because it helped smooth out the weird tone differences I got from photographing, rather than scanning, the drawing. :smith: I wish I had a scanner.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it

Did a bowl of ramen, still learning how to use colored pencils in a satisfactory way that complements watercolor.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Definitely not cocaine

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
^^^ Fantastic, VP.

Tulips in springtime are Chicago's way of saying "I'm sorry about winter, babe. Will you take me back?"

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Galileo Fingers posted:

Love how delicately you handled the wrinkles in the face. I always have so much trouble with them.

Edit: Here's another drawing of a hoverfly. I've kind of been blowing up this thread, I'm trying to be more productive lately.

Wow, the detailing in the hairs looks great!

Here are a couple of sketches from figure drawing sessions.

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Pomegranate:

derg
May 20, 2014

3 week drawing

Autechresaint
Jan 25, 2012

derg posted:

3 week drawing

wow that model is a trooper to stay in that pose for so long..

derg
May 20, 2014

Autechresaint posted:

wow that model is a trooper to stay in that pose for so long..

yeah the poses are 20 minutes long for about 2 to 3 hours with a 5 minute break

Jedrick
Mar 21, 2010

:420: There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high-powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.
Smoke weed every day.
:420:
Made with the finest dollar store acrylics.
https://imgur.com/0F709YB

Jedrick fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 3, 2016

Carotid
Dec 18, 2008

We're all doing it
Avocados:

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

Galileo Fingers posted:

That's fuckin great. Nice ink work.

Here's a one-eyed cat.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

Avasculous posted:

I've been in a rut lately where I feel like I paint something very rough and in progress that I'm optimistic about in a few hours/days, then spend weeks redoing parts of it and trying to add details, working slower and slower until I get fed up and abandon it or stop painting entirely for a while. Most frustrating of all, I feel like it often ends up worse than it was at the in-progress step.This particularly happens when I'm not working directly from a reference where I can at least see if features are in the right place, shadows missing, etc.

I'm sort of vaguely aware that literally every painter in history feels this way to some degree, but I've never had an instructor or artistic friend to get feedback from and I thought it would help to get some in-progress perspective, before I totally ruin another one.

Does anyone have any general tips on this? What areas totally suck, what needs to be fleshed out more, what should be left alone/replaced entirely?

http://imgur.com/GtM1oV0

I loathe every painting I make. But I love that feeling of absolute hatred I will hold for a day or two.

As soon as I'm getting pretty fatigued any hate filled, I'll stop. I'll let it stew for a day, see how I feel in the morning. Often times adding things without letting stuff settle can make you feel like you went overboard.

Eventually I'll wake up, look at it, and feel indifferent or less hate. That's when I decide to stop loving with it.

Christ, I'm sorry, I didn't even address your questions.

Let me see.

I think you colors could be brighter, at least the contrasts. The red running down the fingers and everything is a great texture effect, but could be emphasized more. If you add more contrast inside the 'mouth', that'll help provide more depth to it. ALTHOUGH right now, it has almost a transparency to the roof of the mouth, which is a cool effect you could run with.

The white space above the central figure is distracting. Filling it with any lighter color (except white, obviously) would help draw the eye more toward the center. Regarding the specific composition, it might be too centered. There's an arc of energy through it (if you draw a line from the center of the two teeth down around the tongue, and that balance is pretty good.

The abstract-ness of the fingers on the left side are highlighted by the fingers on the right side. The ones on the right have more detail, better depth, and an elongated look (which, is like, what, the opposite of foreshortening that happens? Hands can be put into really weird and bizarre positions. Are nails missing on the lower right hand on purpose? The shading on the left hand makes it look like the two lower fingers melt together without a shift in perspective, very -"The Thing"-like. Shading could help draw that distinction more, where the highlight is uninterrupted.

Speaking of highlights, a thin line of highlight along the lips or rim of the mouth could help accentuate it without it overtaking the fingers holding it open, back. It also is difficult to tell if the mouth is extending from the palms or are separate. This isn't really a critique though, just a thought.

You have some good dark, colors and atmosphere. The white light at the top also washes out the fangs. If you dropped that to a different color, the fangs could stand out as one of the few things that are "white" aside from, maybe highlights.

I don't think this is a lost cause or anything.

Your results may very. The most important thing in letting stuff settle is really identifying what elements you're displeased with. Proportion? Color? A specific texture or area of the painting? I tend to find I'll hyper focus on one area or thing and walking away from it for a day helps me realize exactly what displeases me. What I messed up, what I'll do differently next time. Where I went overboard. Those kinds of things.

I love the smell of modeling paste but used too much on this last one. I'm gonna take a step back from painting for a little and try and let stuff reset or settle. I'm going to overboard.

I'm hyper amateur though. I think the most compelling parts of the piece are where the two fingers meet inside the mouth on the top of the tongue, the way the red flows from the top of the mouth across the fingers (flattening them and also incorporating them in a way that gives them a kind of depth). A good amount of shading and contrast, but that detail needs to be brought to the left side of the painting. I'd try to brighten the contrasts more, or something. I'm a sucker for that though. And, as I said, I'm a huge amateur, which I'm about to prove in another post.

ziasquinn fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 3, 2016

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Carotid posted:

I found an old Moleskine watercolor book I haven't painted in in a while (the paper quality is ehh) and decided to give it another go. Turns out the paper can hold more layers of color than I thought, and I do like the smooth texture. I got sick for Memorial Day weekend so I've had plenty of free time at home to churn out a few pages:

How did you find the watercolour moleskine? I've tried the standard sketchbooks from them and Leuchtturm and they both have quite bad bleed with Copic markers.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
I like using the knives more than brushes. I like using lots of heavy body paste. I also like the smell of it. I fail a lot and learn a lot, constantly. I wish I could capture the thickness better. Highlights, I suspect, are key.

This one is still in the "resting" phase so I loathe it and it makes me sick to my stomach to look at.

Detail

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saddamnit
Jul 5, 2003

I have brained my damage.
Finished a few blue crab water color paintings.