Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Unironically good and useful graph.

Platystemon posted:

AMD’s processors sucked a lot more in 2014 so they had more room to improve?

“x86 IMPROVEMENT” is maybe not the best phrasing.

Also the arrow in the back means nothing.

Anything I missed?

Well 86 is bigger than 64 so clearly it's better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Holy poo poo I just found another one in yospos:

Edit: It's from this book apparently, pages 99-102, if anyone wants to waste some time: https://www.google.com/url?url=http...e6vBSpeJY3Uwo3Q (PDF warning). The "Destination" from the sign is on p 119, but it's not very funny.

I can't get over the headwind and tailwind. It feels so weirdly redundant and ... desperate?

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Christo posted:

My god. It's like he started on a "college is like a bike" analogy and forgot how to stop.

He couldn't stop if he wanted to, the brake levers aren't attached to the wheels.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

:golfclap:

Although the trilby of neckbeardism should be more towards libertarianism.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

MrUnderbridge posted:

Although the trilby of neckbeardism should be more towards libertarianism.

That's the trilby of Southparkian centrism

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That's the trilby of Southparkian centrism

I can never keep up.

So is a real fedora worse or better than the trilby? And where does the katana knock-off lie on the graph? Will this be on the test?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

https://twitter.com/guyabelguyabel/status/733047889006579713

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

MrUnderbridge posted:

I can never keep up.

So is a real fedora worse or better than the trilby? And where does the katana knock-off lie on the graph? Will this be on the test?

From what I understand, the hat most nerds call a fedora is actually a trilby. This leads to an ever lower subclass of neckbeard who goes around mocking all the ignorant trilby-headed fools for getting it wrong.

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

I'm pretty sure a Guy Fawkes mask, wearing a fedora trilby, perched atop a Puritan hat is the trophy they give out at the annual Reddit awards.

MrUnderbridge posted:

So is a real fedora worse or better than the trilby?

A trilby is a fedora with an extra layer of "um, actually, it's not a fedora, it's a trilby :smug:"

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

dijon du jour posted:

A trilby is a fedora with an extra layer of "um, actually, it's not a fedora, it's a trilby :smug:"

I adore the thought precess behind this, "surely the solution is to wear a slightly different piece of pretentious headgear. Brilliant!"

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

dijon du jour posted:

I'm pretty sure a Guy Fawkes mask, wearing a fedora trilby, perched atop a Puritan hat is the trophy they give out at the annual Reddit awards.

Don't forget to sling the Pork Pie in there too.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

And weren't the puritans pretty far from libertarian?

"A witch? Yeah, well, that's just her thing, you know? Live and let live, I always sayeth!"

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrUnderbridge posted:

"A witch? Yeah, well, that's just her thing, you know? Live and let live, I always sayeth!"

Yeah if anything the puritans were pretty high on the authoritarian scale.

Although there's also evidence that they didn't actually wear those belt-buckle hats so maybe it just means that people who dress up as puritans at renaissance fairs are centrist-libertarian.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

MrUnderbridge posted:

Popular myth holds that the Puritans who settled in New England were motivated by a desire for personal religious freedom and liberty. A shockingly large number of people still take this at a literal truth, rather than the rosy apocrypha it actually is.

poo poo, people in the US still struggle with the idea that Columbus was anything less than a kickin' rad dude who discovered all the things and paved they way for our great nation!

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Is that a tricorner hat?

While it's a bit of a mess, it isn't too bad I guess.

how me a frog
Feb 6, 2014

I don't see anything wrong with this.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

HardDisk posted:

Is that a tricorner hat?
You know, the Tea Party set.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Rebel Blob posted:

You know, the Tea Party set.

Hur hur, he's teabagging himself.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam

Month

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How do you generate negative energy? Or is that from a norm?

V: durr, it says it right there.

Outrail has a new favorite as of 23:13 on Jun 27, 2016

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
M kWh, seriously?

Have these people heard of MWh or GWh?

That graph is all sorts of dumb, but that is really irksome.

Outrail posted:

How do you generate negative energy? Or is that from a norm?

It's showing the monthly deviation from the monthly average calculated over a year.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

TotalLossBrain posted:

M kWh, seriously?

Have these people heard of MWh or GWh?

That graph is all sorts of dumb, but that is really irksome.

Watt‐hours are dumb, full stop. Why use a unit of power, energy ÷ time, when you’re just going to multiply it by time immediately and cancel out the time unit?

That is a rhetorical question.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Watt‐hours are dumb, full stop. Why use a unit of power, energy ÷ time, when you’re just going to multiply it by time immediately and cancel out the time unit?

I know you meant it as rhetorical but...

Because it *doesn't* cancel it out? It's not Watt per hour (W/h) but Watt hours (Wh) which is a different metric. W/h measures change in power over time. Wh is energy as the product of time and the power consumed for work. It can be converted directly to Joules (1 W = 1 J/s; 1kWh = 3.6 MJ)

Proteus Jones has a new favorite as of 04:32 on Jun 28, 2016

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

flosofl posted:

I know you meant it as rhetorical but...

Because it *doesn't* cancel it out? It's not Watt per hour (W/h) but Watt hours (Wh) which is a different metric. W/h measures change in power over time. Wh is energy as the product of time and the power consumed for work. It can be converted directly to Joules (1 W = 1 J/s; 1kWh = 3.6 MJ)
You just explained yourself how it cancels it out. J/s * h = J/s * 3600 s, canceling out the seconds.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

flosofl posted:

watt = joule∕second

hour = 3600 seconds

W × hr = J∕s × 3600 s = 3600 J

That’s what I mean by the time units cancelling. Yes, you have to express one hour in terms of seconds to do the algebra.

It’s like if said I travelled 450 mph‐seconds. Why not just say I travelled 660 feet (= 1 furlong = 10 chains)? My speedometer reads in mph and my watch reads in seconds, so it’s convenient (which is why watt‐hours exist), but it’s still silly to state it like that.

Now for the next mystery, why do metric tonnes exist when “megagram” is the same quantity under a better name?

But I tire of this discussion, and if that’s true for me it’s trebly true for everyone else, so here’s an awful graph:

source

Technically competent, but in the service of a terrible premise.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 05:40 on Jun 28, 2016

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Platystemon posted:

But I tire of this discussion, so here’s an awful graph:

source

Looks like a perfectly adequate graph of an important subject.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Platystemon posted:

Convenience mostly. And now everything is already built around those units. It'll never go away.
Just like the grid's archaic infrastructure.

TotalLossBrain has a new favorite as of 06:02 on Jun 28, 2016

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!
I'm remembering a scifi book I read when I was little, where the currency was kilowatt-hours, pronounced "kwahers". They also used BTUs as a smaller currency, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure that wasn't pronounced "butts".

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Behtues?

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

Platystemon posted:

Now for the next mystery, why do metric tonnes exist when “megagram” is the same quantity under a better name?

:aaaaa: how did this name never enter my mind.

I'm so used to kilo, milli, micro, nano etc grams but have never thought of them in the other direction for some reason. Force of habit I guess

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Zemyla posted:

I'm remembering a scifi book I read when I was little, where the currency was kilowatt-hours, pronounced "kwahers". They also used BTUs as a smaller currency, but unfortunately I'm pretty sure that wasn't pronounced "butts".

Did anyone say "Buttcoins"?

Oh, different thread...

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Fathis Munk posted:

:aaaaa: how did this name never enter my mind.

I'm so used to kilo, milli, micro, nano etc grams but have never thought of them in the other direction for some reason. Force of habit I guess

"kilo" is going the other direction?

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
So should I call up my electric utility and demand they change my billing unit of measure from kWh to joules?

Zemyla
Aug 6, 2008

I'll take her off your hands. Pleasure doing business with you!

CharlieWhiskey posted:

So should I call up my electric utility and demand they change my billing unit of measure from kWh to joules?

No, because then they'll charge you the same price per joule that they were per kWh.

nihilistic_fish
Mar 3, 2004
"Anyone in a free society where the laws are unjust has an obligation to break the law." - Henry David Thoreau
Here is a stupid one that showed up on social media. I know it says click for answers but all that was posted was the photo so that didn't work...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Useless chart, brilliant advertising

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)
Gun advocate goatse

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

TotalLossBrain posted:

"kilo" is going the other direction?

The SI unit is the kiliogram, so technically starting with kilo, taking the prefix off for "gram", then milli and so on is all in the same direction.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

SiKboy posted:

The SI unit is the kiliogram, so technically starting with kilo, taking the prefix off for "gram", then milli and so on is all in the same direction.

True though I just meant I never ventures beyond kilo, rather delved into the micro and nano direction. Even kg are already a rare encounter while working in a biology lab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Fathis Munk posted:

True though I just meant I never ventures beyond kilo, rather delved into the micro and nano direction. Even kg are already a rare encounter while working in a biology lab

Hey Fathis Munk, how much ($) for a kilogram of restriction enzymes?