Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rusty Bodega
Feb 12, 2012

Colowful Wizuds
Anyone know why MP4 files are playing sluggishly in Premiere? (On a Windows.) Bitrate is about 2k, but for some reason it plays at like 1 frame a second on playback (rendering also takes FOREVER on just a 1 minute clip.) Doesn't have anything to do with the sequence settings I don't think. Audio track is disabled.

I've never had this problem before on MP4 files. Just started happening recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Lou
Jun 3, 2004
They say the fittest shall survive, yet the unfit may live

Hey there post-production thread. I was just perusing this subforum and thought about some jobs that we have open at Riot that people might want to know about. The broadcast team that makes the League of Legends weekly broadcasts is looking for some video professionals. These are LA based positions.

ASSISTANT EDITOR - http://www.riotgames.com/careers/224684

VIDEO EDITOR http://www.riotgames.com/careers/224675

ASSISTANT REPLAY EDITOR - http://www.riotgames.com/careers/137959 (basically a live EVS operator)

The editing team at Riot mainly produces a mixture of features, promos & replay packages. You can see examples of the work on YouTube. Here are some examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuF-6Q8mSAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNqBdD9RnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSa1fWiQ5pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aRA_PADmw

PM me know if you have any questions.

Twain of Pain
Dec 14, 2006

King Lou posted:

Hey there post-production thread. I was just perusing this subforum and thought about some jobs that we have open at Riot that people might want to know about. The broadcast team that makes the League of Legends weekly broadcasts is looking for some video professionals. These are LA based positions.

ASSISTANT EDITOR - http://www.riotgames.com/careers/224684

VIDEO EDITOR http://www.riotgames.com/careers/224675

ASSISTANT REPLAY EDITOR - http://www.riotgames.com/careers/137959 (basically a live EVS operator)

The editing team at Riot mainly produces a mixture of features, promos & replay packages. You can see examples of the work on YouTube. Here are some examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuF-6Q8mSAk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNqBdD9RnQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSa1fWiQ5pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1aRA_PADmw

PM me know if you have any questions.

I actually just talked to a hiring guy I know at Riot about that first one! (I don't have Plat or I'd PM)

Twain of Pain fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 15, 2016

low quality jpeg
Mar 10, 2012

Is it possible to stabilize footage off a Face Track Point? I'm trying to figure out the expression.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
I found this on the Adobe forums which I think answers your question with some scripts

However what's stopping you from using areas of the face, such as a mole, to create track points to stabilize in Mocha?

BogDew fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 21, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

low quality jpeg posted:

Is it possible to stabilize footage off a Face Track Point? I'm trying to figure out the expression.

Stabilize pre-comp from Mocha Import Plus (aescripts.com plugin from mamo world) is exactly what you want.

You'll track it via Mocha then Mocha import plus will take the tracked area and stabilize it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Yeah if you can track something reasonably stable on the face in mocha, you can copy the data to a null in after effects and link the footage it.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
New question for this movie power hour. I'm working with many clips of different resolutions. What's my options for not having the smaller sized clips be surrounded by black boxes on each side. I've fooled around with scale to frame and set to frame options, which helps, but doesn't eliminate the black boxes totally. I know I can manually change the scale, but that zooms in on the picture and cuts stuff out. is there anyway I can just stretch the video a bit to fill the frame without zooming in on it?

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Megasabin posted:

New question for this movie power hour. I'm working with many clips of different resolutions. What's my options for not having the smaller sized clips be surrounded by black boxes on each side. I've fooled around with scale to frame and set to frame options, which helps, but doesn't eliminate the black boxes totally. I know I can manually change the scale, but that zooms in on the picture and cuts stuff out. is there anyway I can just stretch the video a bit to fill the frame without zooming in on it?

When you say resolutions, I'm assuming you mean aspect ratios yes?

You can stretch the footage to fit the entire frame but it will look bad. You can really only zoom and crop or have black bars.

Is it a documentary? If so keep the black bars, that's totally normal and looks fine. If it's fiction, well... why was the footage shot at different aspect ratios? Is there a way to explain this in the narrative maybe? (eg. is it surveillance footage or filmed by a character?)

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 28, 2016

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Lizard Combatant posted:

When you say resolutions, I'm assuming you mean aspect ratios yes?

You can stretch the footage to fit the entire frame but it will look bad. You can really only zoom and crop or have black bars.

Is it a documentary? If so keep the black bars, that's totally normal and looks fine. If it's fiction, well... why was the footage shot at different aspect ratios? Is there a way to explain this in the narrative maybe? (eg. is it surveillance footage or filmed by a character?)

It's literally just 100 different 1-minute action movie clips from pre-existing movies. I'm just editing them into a Power Hour (take a shot of beer everytime the clip changes).

Since I took the clips from different sources I have all different sorts of aspect ratios. The two most common I have are 1280x720 and 1280x544, but I have the entire gamut. The clip I used to begin the sequence was 1280x720, so now anything smaller has black bars around it. Is there anyway to adjust that or am I just going to have live with them? I mean a lot of these are taken from youtube, and when I full screen it directly from youtube it has no black bars, so why does it have them now?

I know the clip you first choose to start the sequence, applies a default aspect ratio-- what if I had started the sequence with a 1280x544 clip, would clips those size have no black bars?

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Jun 28, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

You can easily scale up a clip to fit in most programs.
In Premiere just right click on a clip in the timeline and go "resize to fit frame" and it will do that.
There is a settings in the preferences that does set a default so clips placed in timelines will fit the frame size but I have a funny feeling it has a weird quirk where it only applies on a new project and not retroactively.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm still struggling with the resolution thing.

When I'm working with 1280x544 clips neither "scale to frame size" or"set to frame size" options seem to do anything at all. I can get these clips to appear without black bars on the timeline preview panel by setting the zoom level from fit to 100%. Using this method the clips appear to fits perfectly with no black bars without any stretching when watching them on the timeline preview.However when I go to export the actual video, the finished product has black bars.

There's a lot of things on the export screen options that I could be messing up. For example I have no clue what the difference between the "Source" and "Output" tabs mean. Both tabs have their own zoom sliders though. The output tab also has a drop down bar on the top called "Source Scaling" with the options "Scale to Fit", "Scale to Fill", "Stretch to Fill". I have exported versions of the file using all 3 options, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. They all look the same, which means I'm probably doing something wrong.

Any insight on how to get the final exported clip to appear without black bars, like how the movie looks in the timeline preview panel would be appreciated.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jun 29, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megasabin posted:

I'm still struggling with the resolution thing.

When I'm working with 1280x544 clips neither "scale to frame size" or"set to frame size" options seem to do anything at all. I can get these clips to appear without black bars on the timeline preview panel by setting the zoom level from fit to 100%. Using this method the clips appear to fits perfectly with no black bars without any stretching when watching them on the timeline preview.However when I go to export the actual video, the finished product has black bars.

There's a lot of things on the export screen options that I could be messing up. For example I have no clue what the difference between the "Source" and "Output" tabs mean. Both tabs have their own zoom sliders though. The output tab also has a drop down bar on the top called "Source Scaling" with the options "Scale to Fit", "Scale to Fill", "Stretch to Fill". I have exported versions of the file using all 3 options, and it doesn't seem to make a difference. They all look the same, which means I'm probably doing something wrong.

Any insight on how to get the final exported clip to appear without black bars, like how the movie looks in the timeline preview panel would be appreciated.

What software and version are you using?

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

BonoMan posted:

What software and version are you using?

Adoboe Premiere, most recent version.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megasabin posted:

Adoboe Premiere, most recent version.

Ok I'll answer these as best as I can.

First - what is your desired output resolution for the final video? 1080p?

quote:

When I'm working with 1280x544 clips neither "scale to frame size" or"set to frame size" options seem to do anything at all. I can get these clips to appear without black bars on the timeline preview panel by setting the zoom level from fit to 100%.

So - I'm not sure why the scale to frame size doesn't work, but if you do it it'll likely stretch it to fit which means the video will look stretched and funky.

The black bars disappearing when you set the zoom level on the preview panel isn't the actual video changing. It's just literally zooming your view. Just like if you're in photoshop and you hit "Z" and zoom into an image - it's not actually changing the resolution of the image ... it's just... zooming your view in further to inspect something. "Fit to 100%" basically means "enlarge the image to fit up to 100% - once you hit 100% don't enlarge any further." Again this is for people that are moving windows around and changing the size of the preview window and want to get a closer look. It doesn't have anything at all to do with actually affecting the scale of the video.

Therefor when you

quote:

Using this method the clips appear to fits perfectly with no black bars without any stretching when watching them on the timeline preview.However when I go to export the actual video, the finished product has black bars.

do this ^^^ yous till get black bars because you never actually changed the video. Just how you were looking at it in Premiere (sorry to keep beating that point).

quote:

Sort of the same thing. Source and Output are just ways of previewing the file you're about to output. Source shows how the original untouched file looks and, depending on what compression settings you have, output shows what the file is going to look like (so you can gauge when the compression starts to make your shots look lovely).

So the big problem here is that you haven't figured out how to properly scale the footage yet. No worries! We can do that easily.

First you'll want to make sure you have your sequence setup to have the proper frame-rate and resolution.

Re-reading your post it looks like you have some 720p (1280 X 720) clips in there and you used one to make the sequence. Good job!

So now you've imported the rest of the clips, you'll scale up or down to match that sequence size. Not sure why scale to frame size (the option you want - not "set to frame size")) isn't working right (make sure you have the clip selected in the timeline and actually have the playhead indicator over that clip in the timeline to see the effect happen), but you can do this manually.

Just select the clip - go to your "Effect Controls" tab (should be up there with metadata/source/etc... if you can't see it go to Window and select it or hit Shift +F5) - and click the drop down arrow beside "Motion" - now you'll see a Scale option that you can use to scale it up or down!

So, of course your aspect ratios aren't going to line up for the most part. Some might be 16:9, 4:3, 2:39 - who knows. You don't want to take a non-16:9 file and stretch it both horizontally and vertically to fit a 16:9 sequence... because then it'll be ugly and scaled all out of proportion.

This leaves you with black bars naturally as you've mentioned. You can solve this by scaling up until it (proportionally) fills the entire frame but you'll be cutting off a portion of the frame and who wants to do that.

The tried and true quick and easy workaround is to take the clip - DUPLICATE IT - take bottom version of the duplicated clip and scale it up big - blur it out - and maybe take the opacity down. So you fill up the black bars with a blurrier unidentifiable version of the same clip. (Here are two hilariously old tutorials that have the effect I'm talking about - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qdL3FwqbZk and http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/faking_it.html)

Or you could even make your own image that fills the pillar or letterboxes. That black is just transparency and not burned into the video since it's just negative space. So anything bigger than the clip and behind the clip will fill the space.

Ok I think that should clear it up!

Oh except for one other thing - you'll probably just want to use Adobe Media Encoder (AME) to export the file.

Hit CTRL+M in Premiere to bring up the Export dialogue, but instead of changing settings there - just hit the "QUEUE" button at the bottom. That will send the file to AME. From there you can easily just choose a "YouTube 720" setting that should be perfect for what you need.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

BonoMan posted:

Useful Information

I understand more now. That was helpful. Thank you. I don't really have time to do that duplicate trick with 100 different clips.

I tried fooling around with scaling. I could eliminate the black bars in almost every clip by unlinking the scaling, and then scaling only the height by 35%. It actually doesn't look bad. I'm not sure how noticeable the vertical stretch would be on the final product.

I guess what I need to figure out is why are so many of my files are coming out in stupid aspect ratios like 1280x544 when I cut them from the source movie, while the other half of the files come are 1280x720. I'm using the same program (avidemux) for all files, so I'm not sure why it's giving me different aspect ratios.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megasabin posted:

I understand more now. That was helpful. Thank you. I don't really have time to do that duplicate trick with 100 different clips.

I tried fooling around with scaling. I could eliminate the black bars in almost every clip by unlinking the scaling, and then scaling only the height by 35%. It actually doesn't look bad. I'm not sure how noticeable the vertical stretch would be on the final product.

I guess what I need to figure out is why are so many of my files are coming out in stupid aspect ratios like 1280x544 when I cut them from the source movie, while the other half of the files come are 1280x720. I'm using the same program (avidemux) for all files, so I'm not sure why it's giving me different aspect ratios.

Because the movies were shot in different aspect ratios. 1280 x 544 is CinemaScope (2.35:1).

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Ah ok, makes sense. I think I'm good on the black bar issue. Thanks to everyone who helped.

New multi-part question:

1. I've noticed that I accidentally left a blank space between two clips. However if I go to move either clip to fix the issue, it will result in the creation of a new blank space on the opposite side of the clip I move, and in addition will break the video transition effect on the moved clip (since it will be detached from it's previous clip). Is there anyway to fix this issue without manually moving every clip backwards 1inch on the timeline, and having to reinsert a new video transition effect for each one?

2. When inserting clips into the timeline is there a way I can ensure they snap to the back of the previous clip without any blank space between them? Right now I have to basically zoom in on the timeline every single time, and manually drag it. There has to be an easier way.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Megasabin posted:

Ah ok, makes sense. I think I'm good on the black bar issue. Thanks to everyone who helped.

New multi-part question:

1. I've noticed that I accidentally left a blank space between two clips. However if I go to move either clip to fix the issue, it will result in the creation of a new blank space on the opposite side of the clip I move, and in addition will break the video transition effect on the moved clip (since it will be detached from it's previous clip). Is there anyway to fix this issue without manually moving every clip backwards 1inch on the timeline, and having to reinsert a new video transition effect for each one?

2. When inserting clips into the timeline is there a way I can ensure they snap to the back of the previous clip without any blank space between them? Right now I have to basically zoom in on the timeline every single time, and manually drag it. There has to be an easier way.

1. You want to use the Ripple Edit tool - help documentation will show you how. It does this exact thing.

2. the S key, I think, is the shortcut to turn snap on and off. With it on, it will snap to the clip you're dragging it next to.

Aix
Jul 6, 2006
$10

Megasabin posted:

You can select multiple clips at once and copy past effects to them.

Megasabin posted:

Dont do this. People are going to hate you for it.

You can also delete blank spaces. Like, select the empty point between two clips and hit delete, this will make everything move left by the exact amount you want it to. An alternative is the "select everything right of the cursor", that three-arrow-thing, default shortcut is A.

Ripple edit will probably just confuse you at this point, lol

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
Sweet that worked perfectly. Yet another question:

One of my clips is having a strange audio issue. The clip itself plays fine in VLC, however when I import it into Adobe and preview it, the audio has a commentator track playing over it. I tried fooling around in Premiere to see if there were multiple audio tracks, and I could turn the commentary one off, but didn't have any luck finding such an option. The original file I took the clip from is a blue-ray file, but so is plenty of my other sources, and I haven't had this issue with any other clips. Also like I said in VLC the 1 minute clip does not have the commentary. How do I remove that commentary?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
Oh by the way I am just now painfully discovering a new error in the very latest release of AME. When you transcode to H264, it will repeat a chunk of audio at the very end. Adobe says they are aware of the problem and fixing it and a temp fix is to extend your comp a second or two past the end.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Adobe After Effects CC question.

About the Graph Editor. I have some Easy-Ease keyframes for a Position value. I'm trying to edit the severity of the "ease" using the Graph Editor. But my Graph Editor no longer shows the anchor point handles.

Here's what I see:

Here's what I want (this came from a YouTube video). I want those yellow control handles to appear:

They used show up on their own a long time ago, and unless I'm imagining it they no longer appeared after the last major After Effects CC update. How do I display the handles?

EDIT: Found the solution. The handles will only appear if you view the Graph Editor as a Speed Graph. I was in the Value Graph.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 4, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008
So I know jack-poo poo about video editing, but I'm trying to teach myself. This video is the first thing I've edited in years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZ9X_8rOEQ

I don't know how to export it and put it on youtube without it looking like crap. You can especially see what I mean at the very end with the Twitter and subscribe logos. They're super blurry, but aren't like that while editing.

Any beginner tips to get better at making video essays like this one? I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 on a crappy, three year old laptop.

Also, this doesn't quite fall under this thread's purview, but I have an audio recording issue. I use a Blue Yeti and it sounds great with my headphones plugged into my mic, through the speakers, and through my phone, but like complete garbage through my laptop's headphone port. I don't know if it's just my laptop's port or if a big chunk of viewers will think the audio sounds like crap. And it's just my recorded audio that sounds like that.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I'm almost done with my project, but I'm still having that strange audio issue on two my clips. For both clips the audio track playing in Premiere is the director's commentary track. This is not the case when playing the clip in VLC. I have no idea why that audio track is taking preference or how to disable it in Premiere.

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

With multi track audio, have you right clicked on a clip in the bin and gone into Modify and looked at the audio channels?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals
I've just started to learn compositing and some basic editing stuff, primarily using Nuke, Fusion, and Resolve. I've had good luck with the speed of playback after caching in Nuke and Fusion, but for whatever reason in Resolve, even using a 1/4 proxy, when I'm dealing with any sort of image sequence (always exr cos that's what I render to) it never seems to properly cache. I've tried enabling the auto caching in the clip menu, and I've played around with some of the cache settings (though I really don't know enough about the various formats it uses for that, I'm from a CGI background so all the ProRes stuff is gibberish to me), but I can never seem to get the kind of smooth playback that Nuke and Fusion give.
I did learn that Fusion (and by proxy I assume Resolve) don't handle multilayer EXRs as well as I'd like, but that's a system killer regardless so I'll likely move to single layer and just output different files for whatever passes I need. That will also make re-rendering a specific pass a lot less complicated (right now I have to pull the passes from the existing exr, comp in the new one, and recombine to a new file).

Is Resolve just a program that needs an SSD? Don't have one on my desktop, but if it will likely make a difference I'll spring for one.

My PC specs are as follows, in case any of this could be an issue:
i5 quad core @ 4.0ghz
32GB DDR3 1600 RAM
nVidia GeForce 660ti 3gb
7200 RPM SATA mechanical drives

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
What's the frame size/frame rate/codec/bitrate of your source material?

Just on quick glance I'd say than an i5 with a 660ti is vastly underpowered. Blackmagic recommends one GPU to drive the UI and one for image processing. It can work on something like a MacBook Pro with a mobile GPU, but performance ain't nothing to write home about.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

WebDog posted:

With multi track audio, have you right clicked on a clip in the bin and gone into Modify and looked at the audio channels?

When I have either clip in the source editor there is a tab on top called "Audio Clip Mixer". If I click on that I only see 1 audio track called "Audio 1". On the top of that track are options for "Mute, Solo Track, or Write Keyframe". I don't see any obvious ability to mute the commentary part of it. There looks to be two separate audio bars within the 1 track that I can change the volume off, so I tried muting each one while leaving the other, but both seem to contain the commentary.

If I drag the video and sound into the timeline, alt-click the sound portion, and then go back to the "Audio Clip Mixer", I actually see 4 tracks "Audio 1-4", but only one of them actually has a changing volume meter, indicating it's the only one with sound. I think this is just showing me the 3 other default audio sockets that exist on the timeline (A2, A3, A4). Playing around with mute options in there, the only one that actually works is the first track with the commentary.

This is strange to me because the individual clip plays fine in VLC without any commentary. In fact I didn't even realize there was a commentary track until Premiere started playing it.

Megasabin fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jul 5, 2016

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

Audio track mixer is for the timeline's audio mix so anything in there won't be affecting the source clip nor can it change audio streams. Each track on there is for a different audio layer in the timeline.

If you go into Modify -> Audio Channels you can tick / untick audio channels. I suspect there's a left or right channel that has the commentary in there so you'll just need to deselect it.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Anyone have advice for a good grading monitor? It's time to return the Flanders I've been using on extended loan :(

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Jul 5, 2016

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

Anyone have advice for a good grading monitor? It's time to return the Flanders from my extended loan :(

Then it's time to buy one!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

Then it's time to buy one!

No kidding! The Australian dollar has just recovered a bit so I'm looking at options. Do you have a preference?

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Lizard Combatant posted:

No kidding! The Australian dollar has just recovered a bit so I'm looking at options. Do you have a preference?

We use the CM171 - it's great! I'm not the colorist though so I couldn't give you a list of pros and cons unfortunately.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

BonoMan posted:

We use the CM171 - it's great! I'm not the colorist though so I couldn't give you a list of pros and cons unfortunately.

Aye that's what I'm looking at, just wondering if there's anything amazing in the world of calibrated monitors that's come out recently before I blow nearly $3.5k of our banana republic, wooden dollars.

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

1st AD posted:

What's the frame size/frame rate/codec/bitrate of your source material?

Just on quick glance I'd say than an i5 with a 660ti is vastly underpowered. Blackmagic recommends one GPU to drive the UI and one for image processing. It can work on something like a MacBook Pro with a mobile GPU, but performance ain't nothing to write home about.

Thanks for the response!

I'm using 720 or 1080 32bit float EXRs depending how many computers I could toss at rendering and how long I wanted to wait. When working with 1080p video footage it actually plays back pretty smooth even without using a proxy, most of the time close to the original framerate, then once it caches it's butter and I can do all the editing and grading I want.

I know my system is getting pretty long in the tooth, but a full upgrade is a ways out for me so I'm trying to optimize the speed at caching and playback. I'm guessing it's my choice of using full float EXRs (which are often multilayer), considering it doesn't happen with video files. I just don't understand why they can cache fine in any other program, but Resolve, no matter how long I wait, will stutter horribly on playback. This extends to viewing them in the initial clip selection screen. It's why I thought an SSD might make a difference - if it can pull it off the disk faster, maybe it can cache faster and avoid whatever issue I'm having now.

I'm going to go through each of the cache format settings and comparing, because it might be that my system will never be able to handle playback of EXRs at whatever it's set at currently.

As I'm learning this because it's fun and to help out on some short films my CGI meetup group is making, I'll likely never be working with anything above 1920x1080 and dealing with compressed footage from the start. If I can get the CG to be almost as smooth to work with as the video, I'll be happy.

If I can't, I can just stick to Nuke and Fusion where I know it works on my machine (and probably do similar finishing work in Nuke Studio).

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

So I know jack-poo poo about video editing, but I'm trying to teach myself. This video is the first thing I've edited in years: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrZ9X_8rOEQ

I don't know how to export it and put it on youtube without it looking like crap. You can especially see what I mean at the very end with the Twitter and subscribe logos. They're super blurry, but aren't like that while editing.

Any beginner tips to get better at making video essays like this one? I'm using Adobe Premiere Pro CC 2015 on a crappy, three year old laptop.

Also, this doesn't quite fall under this thread's purview, but I have an audio recording issue. I use a Blue Yeti and it sounds great with my headphones plugged into my mic, through the speakers, and through my phone, but like complete garbage through my laptop's headphone port. I don't know if it's just my laptop's port or if a big chunk of viewers will think the audio sounds like crap. And it's just my recorded audio that sounds like that.
On your first question re: exporting it to YouTube. How are you exporting it, right now? Because for what you want to do, the best way to do it is:

Open up Premiere CC. Go to File > Export > Media, which will open your export options. I've attached a screenshot with the areas highlighted that you'll need to care about :

• Select Format: H.264
  • Select the Preset: YouTube (in your preferred resolution. I usually do 1080P, but that all depends on your original footage).
  • Choose your Output Name
  • Tick the box that says 'Use Maximum Render Quality'

Then click 'Export'. Then that's it. :)

About those Twitter/Subscribe logos. How are you adding them into your Premiere Sequence? Are they vector (.EPS, .AI) images? Or blurry JPGs/PNGs? Because if you want your added icons to look crisp and perfect, you need to get, or create, some .EPS/.AI versions of those icons.

As for your audio issue: did you record that voiceover in the Robin Williams video using the Blue Yeti? If so, it sounds completely fine!

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 5, 2016

Unmature
May 9, 2008

melon cat posted:

Awesome tips!

Thanks so much! I'm not at my PC so I don't know what settings I was using, but I'll definitely try this as soon as I get home. The buttons were big pngs I think. I just dragged them into the library from the folder I saved them into.
Thanks again!

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

Thanks so much! I'm not at my PC so I don't know what settings I was using, but I'll definitely try this as soon as I get home. The buttons were big pngs I think. I just dragged them into the library from the folder I saved them into.
Thanks again!
You're welcome! Try the export at home again, and maybe the buttons will look not-so-bad. PNGs aren't quite as nice-looking as vectors, but depending on the PNGs they might still be usable for the purposes of your video.

You did a good job piecing together that video, by the way. It was well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

WebDog posted:

Audio track mixer is for the timeline's audio mix so anything in there won't be affecting the source clip nor can it change audio streams. Each track on there is for a different audio layer in the timeline.

If you go into Modify -> Audio Channels you can tick / untick audio channels. I suspect there's a left or right channel that has the commentary in there so you'll just need to deselect it.

Still no luck. Under Modify --> Audio Channels --> Media Source Channels there is only 1 audio clip, and a single L and R channel. Both the L and R channels have commentary on them. I tried turning off just the L side or just the Right, and the audio commentary remains present. I went and opened the actual file in VLC, and there are two audio tracks-- one regular and one for commentary. I'm not sure why both aren't showing up in Premiere.