Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppy Nogood
May 26, 2014
Lmao Bill had to clarify that Affleck was not drunk.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/745846945013501952

:cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005

NC-17 posted:

Which guest will be Simmons's Artie Lange?

I'm hoping Artie Lange.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Simmons show doesn't have the ingredients for an Artie Lange meltdown. No live studio audience, no panel discussion, he asks questions about people that are engaging as opposed to rambling on about bullshit.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

modestmusashi posted:

Lmao Bill had to clarify that Affleck was not drunk.

https://twitter.com/BillSimmons/status/745846945013501952

:cripes:

It's called day drinking, Bill :colbert:

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Who the hell honestly cares about deflate gate?

I mean if you're a New England fan? I get it. But goddamn I really could care less either way.

Seriously I remember trying to listen to the Cavs-Bulls Series last year on an ESPN Radio affiliate some place between Columbus and Indianapolis...and that's what they were talking about.

Like...you got the NHL and NBA playoffs going on...not to mention the MLB, and that's the topic you're going to run a radio program on?

davecrazy posted:

Hes not good on TV, he's never been good on TV.

I'll always remember that day he got pissed that the Cavs won the lottery again. That was pure gold.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

FuzzySkinner posted:

Who the hell honestly cares about deflate gate?

Ben Affleck apparently, a whole lot.

I think Will Leitch has it right, Simmons getting mega-huge celebrities like Affleck to talk about sports like that is a great bit of "celebrities, they're just like us!" and could be his version of Car Karaoke, Mean Tweets, or whichever dumb gimmick Fallon is doing that day.

https://twitter.com/BenAffleck/status/746051945446670337
Lol

howe_sam fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 23, 2016

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/746070352682311680

To be honest I don't know what they were expecting

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
I interviewed at NFL network and they asked me what I thought about CTE. I just ran out of the room.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

soggybagel posted:

I interviewed at NFL network and they asked me what I thought about CTE. I just ran out of the room.

I want to think you're joking, but..... :ohdear:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

is that bad for a show of this length and format on a premium channel? serious question.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

That's pretty bad.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
It looks like Last Week Tonight and Real Time both regularly top 1 million viewers. Simmons drew about half as much as an average episode of Girls though!

I don't think the live numbers will matter all that much if the show generates online traction / positive critical response. Which I dunno if it'll end up doing those either based on the first episode

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The better question is what kind of numbers do Real Sports or that boxing show draw?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

straight up brolic posted:

is that bad for a show of this length and format on a premium channel? serious question.

its about 10,000 viewers more than an episode of TNA Impact wrestling that was nothing more then 3 commercials on repeat for 2 hours because the channel couldn't broadcast the live feed.

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

howe_sam posted:

The better question is what kind of numbers do Real Sports or that boxing show draw?

The Jim Lampley boxing show isn't a good match because HBO will carry it regardless of viewership because of the relationship they have with organized boxing.

Real Sports is pulling slightly better numbers, but Bill Simmons is a lot more expensive (20 million/3 years) than Bryant Gumbel.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I noticed that his new youtube channel for the show has four video clips of the show up and they have over a million total views in less than a day. Not sure how much that matters though?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

DJExile posted:

I want to think you're joking, but..... :ohdear:

Half joking. I did interview. I didn't run out of the room.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It's around what Real Sports does. I don't think HBO cares about ratings as much as normal networks. It's a cheap show and helps their brand.

The show wasn't that bad. I think they should do a roundtable of sorts on topics with celebrities/reporters like Maher does, then extend the 1-on-1 interviews. Make the show an hour. Simmons is actually a good interviewer and his podcast is good because he gets guests to delve into topics they normally wouldn't on short interviews.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Whip Slagcheek posted:

The Jim Lampley boxing show isn't a good match because HBO will carry it regardless of viewership because of the relationship they have with organized boxing.

Real Sports is pulling slightly better numbers, but Bill Simmons is a lot more expensive (20 million/3 years) than Bryant Gumbel.

On the other hand Real Sports does some investigative journalism which isn't cheap. It's only 12 episodes a year while Simmons is supposedly doing 36 next year. And I'm guessing the deal includes the work Simmons is doing on the documentary side too.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Niwrad posted:

The show wasn't that bad. I think they should do a roundtable of sorts on topics with celebrities/reporters like Maher does, then extend the 1-on-1 interviews. Make the show an hour. Simmons is actually a good interviewer and his podcast is good because he gets guests to delve into topics they normally wouldn't on short interviews.
I agree that it needed more time. Two 20 min 1-on-1s and junk in between would have been fine, but i'm really not feeling 8 min charles, 8 min affleck +monologues.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

NC-17 posted:

Which guest will be Simmons's Artie Lange?

Surprisingly enough, Malcom Gladwell

edit: actually changing my answer, maybe unironically, to Lena Dunham

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCb5Ji6ueQ8

I gotta find more of this, but Dan Le Batard had clip after clip trashing the Cavs in the NBA Finals.

Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith being so over the top is comedy gold.

e: Holy Hell. I would unironically watch a version of "First Take" with people like Dan Le Batard, and others going MST3K on their asses.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

FuzzySkinner posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCb5Ji6ueQ8

I gotta find more of this, but Dan Le Batard had clip after clip trashing the Cavs in the NBA Finals.

Skip Bayless and Stephen A. Smith being so over the top is comedy gold.

e: Holy Hell. I would unironically watch a version of "First Take" with people like Dan Le Batard, and others going MST3K on their asses.

Look up "parade of gasbags." There's 10-11 compilations of cold takes. Amin El Hassan in particular blows off his feet.

Le Batard's show is probably the the closest we'll ever get to MST3K given the thin-skinned, insecure nature of so many sports fans and sports writers.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Anals of History posted:

Look up "parade of gasbags." There's 10-11 compilations of cold takes. Amin El Hassan in particular blows off his feet.

Le Batard's show is probably the the closest we'll ever get to MST3K given the thin-skinned, insecure nature of so many sports fans and sports writers.

I just love it because Le Batard seems to be one of the few media figures willing to go "lol. These guys are morons"

Honestly that is the most effective dousing of hot takes I've ever seen. Just have a guy like Le Batard's quality flat out laugh over these guys.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The thing about LeBatard that is laudable is that he is just as passionate a sports fan as anyone out there but he realizes in the abstract that its all fun and games and absurd anyways.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Amazing Copa America final and Sportscenter leads with inconsequential baseball games :negative:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Josh Lyman posted:

Amazing Copa America final and Sportscenter leads with inconsequential baseball games :negative:

Thats what happens when they don't have it on their network.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

To be fair, when there are important baseball games, Sportscenter leads with inconsequential football games. Life is a beautiful perfect circle.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

This is America mother fucker

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

soggybagel posted:

Thats what happens when they don't have it on their network.

That reminds me of when the Kings beat the Rangers in Game 1 of the 2014 Stanley Cup Final on a breakaway goal in OT. SportsCenter put it in their Top 10....at number 4, behind some average slam dunks.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dunks are objectively the best thing in sports so that seems about right

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Josh Lyman posted:

A Copa America final between two South American teams isn't going to lead SportsCenter unless Leo Messi scores five goals. Doesn't matter if it's played on American soil.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

MourningView posted:

Dunks are objectively the best thing in sports so that seems about right

Dunks are incredible and only a few people on the planet have truly mastered that artform.

LeBron had some great ones these playoffs. Wish I could remember the game where it looked like he was literally going to destroy the ball in his hands.

Also the NBA is infinitely more popular than pretty much every sport save for the NFL/NCAA in this country right now.. I feel your pain CaptainYesterday, I've seen the Indy 500 often overshadowed quite a by the NBA due to the playoffs and the "500" occurring at the same time.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
The stupidest thing ESPN does is put a random free kick at like #2 all the time. Stop pandering!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

A Copa America final between two South American teams isn't going to lead SportsCenter unless Leo Messi scores five goals. Doesn't matter if it's played on American soil.
I mean, missing a PK to lose the match is similarly notable imo, especially since he had never missed one in his career.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

soggybagel posted:

The stupidest thing ESPN does is put a random free kick at like #2 all the time. Stop pandering!
Even better is that half the time the announcers can't pronounce the names of any player or team involved.

Josh Lyman posted:

I mean, missing a PK to lose the match is similarly notable imo, especially since he had never missed one in his career.
But this was not surprising because Leonel Messi IS A FRAUD

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Josh Lyman posted:

lol very wrong he's a bottler and misses PKs all the time (see vs. Chelsea in CL semis)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lol very wrong he's a bottler and misses PKs all the time (see vs. Chelsea in CL semis)
Wtf Sportscenter told me that what a bunch of lying liars :colbert:

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

I think the thing ESPN was saying was he has never missed a penalty shootout. He's definitely missed PK's. Again, haven't verified that but maybe thats what they meant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
So England lost to Iceland last night, and it seems like the American audience got more honest commentary than we Brits did