Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

intardnation posted:

comments are gold on that post.

I thought rule no. 1 of crunch for employers was don't document it. Makes things way more complicated when the DoL walks in.

By complicated, I mean simple for the DoL. I doubt CIG is paying all their employees above the California overtime minimums..

Keep it up, Sandi. You're doing His work.

E: a well protected catte, like the artists in their permanent enclosure.

leper khan fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Richie Stardust posted:

poo poo. I thought it was a cat-man-wolf steel armor pauldron.

more like a.... paw-dron?

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster

Beet Wagon posted:

So wait, they have like 50+ loving space ships left to make, 99 star systems, who the gently caress knows how many planets and stations and whatever

AND THAT GUY'S MAKING A loving HAT?
If you knew anything about game devlopment you would know the hat artist cant just work on planets. He does hats. It wont speed up the game if you stop him. Nice try derek.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

SurfaceDetail posted:

If you knew anything about game devlopment you would know the hat artist cant just work on planets. He does hats. It wont speed up the game if you stop him. Nice try derek.

On the other hand, they're probably going to make more money on hats than planets (because the hats will make it in the game). It seems reasonable to focus there because CIG is likely running out of cash.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRPa31rLJNM

It's so bad.

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I've been saying for months that hacking in another "System" that's just copy pasted old elements from 3 years ago that nobody has seen yet would be a huge psychological impact on the backers. It would easily buy CIG another 6+ months and 10,000,000$+

Think of the marketing.

"OUR GAME SIZE JUST DOUBLED :smug:"
"TWICE AS MANY STAR SYSTEMS"
"CAN ELITE CLAIM TO DOUBLE ITS UNIVERSE IN A SINGLE PATCH?!?!"

It's one of the only cards they have left, since however many hundred people have been working on assets that are created somewhere they are bound to have something people haven't seen. Which will really be them digging to the bottom of the barrel for a 3 year old planet model for a dead end engine, but which will be seen by the backers as PROOF OF ALL THE HIDDEN WORK! DOUBLE THE GAME SIZE! THE DEV VERSION EXISTS! THE DREAM IS REAL!

They can't actually develop the Crysis Mod they have now, so shocking the corpse with a tazer and letting it flail around some more is going to be the game development version of "Weekend At Bernies." Slap some old assets into the game with no plans to make it not a jittering buggy mess, citizens will take it from there. The slightest bit of justification will do the same thing that 2.0 did to that retard sarspariller making him buy back in.

This is pure speculation but if CIG actually does this while knowingly only working on Squadron 42 and knowing their engine is a dead end, sucking up millions with tricks and subterfuge before announcing an engine change in 2017 or something, it's undeniable that it's a scam at that point.

Solid plan. You know they're hiring right?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/335255/remember-derek

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
You may recall that time that Crytek boasted about all the crunch time their employees were doing on Ryse

By the time #Ryse ships for #XboxOne, we will have served the crunching team more than 11,500 dinners throughout development. #RyseFacts

— Ryse: Son of Rome (@RyseGame) October 15, 2013

quote:

In an ill-advised tweet, the official Ryse account explained that "we will have served the crunching team more than 11,500 dinners throughout development." The hashtag #RyseFacts was plopped on the end for good measure. What followed was a torrent of game developers displaying their dismay at not simply the fact that the Crytek team is crunching on its latest game, but that the tweet appears to suggest a level of pride in this fact.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/202444/Developers_react_The_RyseFacts_hashtag_and_the_war_on_crunch.php

Nice to see Sandi following in the spirit of her Cryengine predecessors

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
Looking forward to see hats with LTI
We all know it will come

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4q9d6z/remember_the_i_am_coming_for_you_star_citizen/

Something something stones something glass house something.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

G0RF posted:

14 ships person posted:

I don't think there will ever be a game to rival the ambition and scope set forth by the backers!

That's an obvious shill. Note the very specific reference to how the ambition and scope is set by the backers, not by CIG.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Lladre posted:

Is the guy on the left that insufferable French Canadian who went to France and got beat up at McDonald's because he was being a weirdo creep, then tried claiming damages from a cyborg hate crime?

If you mean Steve Mann, who's from Ontario, isn't the least bit french, has been at MIT since the 90s, and wasn't being a creep (although he is a weirdo), then no.

He doesn't wear Google Glass, he's been wearing various incarnations of his own EyeTap thing for a few decades now. The McD guy asked him to ”stop recording”, which he can't do, because it's not meant for recording (it's a pass-through device). Then tried to rip it off his head or something, which is pretty dumb, seeing as the thing's attached to his skull.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Don't you remember all those losers trying to game the system when the Khartu-Al was revealed with only 1 seat?

Then Ben Lesnick (Developer) even came out and said "Whoops, uhh... lemme go talk to Ed in Ship Design 102" and replied later one with a "The design got changed, I dropped the ball, nobody talks to me cause I have a musky neckbeard."

Yeah, totally the people who bought the ship's fault. They should've known that a "Scout Craft" would only have 1 seat and the fact that they want compensation now is stupid and should not happen!

Star Citizen: A musky neckbeard

:barf:

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Like, the guy I quoted and posted? He's trying to argue, unsuccessfully, that the "design" never changed. Apparently, being labelled as a "scout/light attack" vehicle means it was always meant to be a single-seater.

Oh, why did they use concept art with two seats and had all relevant data mention it was a 2-seater? Well, you see... this archived page I'm allegedly reading states it was a single-seat vehicle. Also the "design" never changed.

Did I mention the "design" never changed?

Cause it didn't...

Also gently caress the people trying to game the system because they were falsely led to believe that a ship would have two seats and the resulting product was completely different from the sales pitch.

The design didn't change!
But even if it did, it was a concept. Concepts change. But it didn't, because it's always been a single seater.

It was done to prevent people from gaming the system.
What do you mean, "so they did change the number the seats", of course they didn't.

"Sold a concept, bait and switch"? Son, i don't think you know anything about seat development.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen is a stupidity in your head that can be tracked.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

gently caress these people make me sick.

Guy says he has a bunch of mental health problems and is scared of becoming homeless? Let's make myself feel better by pointing out how all his problems are his own and definitely not the predatory marketing tactics of this loving poo poo-show.

"You know it's kind of heinous that they won't give you a refund, but who will think of the business? :qq:"

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

HUXLEY ALERT : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/259596-The-Star-Citizen-Thread-v5/page276

She has appeared in the ED forum to lend support to prokar_thingy and her first line is :

quote:

Originally posted by Annabelle 'Boo' Huxley

A lot of nay sayers around here. Here's an idea, how about we level the playing field?

*deletes E:D*
There, field leveled.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

orcinus posted:

If you mean Steve Mann, who's from Ontario, isn't the least bit french, has been at MIT since the 90s, and wasn't being a creep (although he is a weirdo), then no.

He doesn't wear Google Glass, he's been wearing various incarnations of his own EyeTap thing for a few decades now. The McD guy asked him to ”stop recording”, which he can't do, because it's not meant for recording (it's a pass-through device). Then tried to rip it off his head or something, which is pretty dumb, seeing as the thing's attached to his skull.

[said whilst wearing home-made virtual reality devices literally attached to my head] even if you bash me up for being a huge loving weirdo, people on the internet will defend me. do as you will.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Perfect fluffy, white, and Ford Mondeo blue cattes :D

Thankyee kindly good Sir :D

Are you sure that's not BMW M blue.

SurfaceDetail
Feb 17, 2016

by Cowcaster
You better not mess with me im king poo poo at the local anxiety club

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

orcinus posted:

Are you sure that's not BMW M blue.

Gonna go with Subaru World Rally Blue.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

AND THAT GUY'S MAKING A loving HAT?

In Zbrush, of all things.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Wise Learned Man posted:

Wow. They're pulling the classic David Ladyman defense, too.

LMAO

quote:

The sight is the only similarity we can see. Even if it was a 1:1, that's not enough for a design infraction, even by legal standards and by a significant amount.

And the sight is just a futuristic M1 Garand, so either way both are ripping off a real world property, the only thing that could actually hold up and is the only one without a dog in this fight.

If anything you can argue the gun on the left is different enough, no gap on the rail, no racking bolt, missing bolts on the upper, the markings, even the actual body of the gun is quite different, the rails and front sights look very similar to the M14.

This is gold.
GOLD.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Richie Stardust posted:

poo poo. I thought it was a cat-man-wolf steel armor pauldron.

No way, why would they work on something that (while completely retarded) would actually count towards developing the game? If they make the game, then the game can be critiqued. They can't let that happen to Crobberts's DREAM BABY.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

I know nothing about games development, but, why is everyone wearing shorts?

Shouldn't there be some sorta dress code of 'at least jeans' and tshirt, or is this CIG hiring freelance devs on Saturdays so Sandi can take pic of non-development?

:psyduck:

It's fine, they're all freshly shorn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

D_Smart posted:

I am inclined to believe you because the wanker who was on the stream yesterday was too dumb (his postings); even by your standards. It's just curious that he was bringing up some of your same [bullshit legal] arguments (libel per se etc) here on SA; and clearly - like you - didn't even understand what it is he was saying.

I am willing to give you the benefit of the doubt. But if that was in fact you, take comfort in the thought that you're a loving coward who needs alts because you can't stand up like a man and own your poo poo. Even anon.

Why, WHY are you going to continue embarrassing ramblings like this? Coward? Really? We are suppose to not touch the poo poo Derek.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

orcinus posted:

It's fine, they're all freshly shorn.

So, that's where the wool for Crobirds sweaters came from.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

KiddieGrinder posted:

It's a high poly sculpt in Zbrush, which is then used to project detail on to a low poly version. It's a process called "baking" and is used throughout the industry.

It is, but sculpting and texturing a loving baseball cap in Zbrush is a wee bit overkill.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013
Didn't that Orion guy already get slammed for being a hack for his last 'Orion: The Prequel' game?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

So, that's where the Crobirds tupes came from.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ideate posted:

Gonna go with Subaru World Rally Blue.

It's pretty clearly Yamaha Blue.

I mean okay, it's not. But I want to be cool and talk about paint colors too.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Guy says he has a bunch of mental health problems and is scared of becoming homeless? Let's make myself feel better by pointing out how all his problems are his own and definitely not the predatory marketing tactics of this loving poo poo-show.

I think "predatory marketing tactics" is a bit of a stretch. They aren't doing anything new, unique, or particularly insidious when it comes to marketing (other than being unable to deliver on their promises, I'm talking marketing alone here). Stupid people spend too much money on all sorts of poo poo. I have no pity for some idiot who spends too much money jpegs; especially considering how these idiots have been warned. Maybe some blame can be placed on the SC community for actively trying to silence anyone who says "Don't buy things you cannot afford".

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Eldragon posted:

I think "predatory marketing tactics" is a bit of a stretch. They aren't doing anything new, unique, or particularly insidious when it comes to marketing (other than being unable to deliver on their promises, I'm talking marketing alone here). Stupid people spend too much money on all sorts of poo poo. I have no pity for some idiot who spends too much money jpegs; especially considering how these idiots have been warned. Maybe some blame can be placed on the SC community for actively trying to silence anyone who says "Don't buy things you cannot afford".

I suppose, but there's also the pricing of the things in the first place. People wouldn't be spending tens of thousands of dollars on jpegs if there weren't tens of thousands of dollars of jpegs to buy. CIG have normalised a very destructive behaviour.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

:allears:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Ramadu posted:

TOo be fair, its an office. That furniture costs money and is well worth it. I'd never criticize a business for spending money on good quality chairs and desks for their employees.

A 20k coffee machine though is a whole 'nother story.

Just one problem: these aren't good quality desks. They're good looking desks (from a certain aesthetic point of view), but as actual work surfaces, they're no better than $25 IKEA table tops. Well, unless you think adding two zeros to the price somehow inherently makes something “better.”

no_recall posted:

I know nothing about games development, but, why is everyone wearing shorts?

Shouldn't there be some sorta dress code of 'at least jeans' and tshirt, or is this CIG hiring freelance devs on Saturdays so Sandi can take pic of non-development?

:psyduck:

Hey it can get warm over there, and do you have any idea how much it would cost to AC that kind of workspace? They're trying to be frugal with backer money, remember?

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Eldragon posted:

'Predatory Marketing Tactics' is not a well defined term. The first thing that comes to mind for me though is the 'End of LTI'

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13377-Anniversary-Sale-Details

quote:

As you know, November 26, 2013 marks the end of Lifetime Insurance (“LTI”) availability for Original and Veteran backers.

except now you can just buy space motorcycles and melt them into whatever ship you want with LTI. yay!

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
It was lazy language anyway. Predatory marketing practices usually refers to big businesses predating smaller ones. I was just upset that someone's life was going to turn to poo poo, because they'd spent a ridiculous amount on a video game.

Nickiepoo
Jun 24, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

It was lazy language anyway. Predatory marketing practices usually refers to big businesses predating smaller ones. I was just upset that someone's life was going to turn to poo poo, because they'd spent a ridiculous amount on a video game.

A what?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'd be fine with Predatory marketing practices if it meant Roberts was using an invisibility device to sneak into backers' homes and stab them with a double-bladed wrist knife before taking their skull home for his display.

Although thinking about it, that sounds more like something Sandi would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Eldragon posted:

I can see your point but CIG has managed to find a large stupid shaped loophole in consumer protection legislation by never delivering the product and getting the customer to willing, stop asking for a delivery date.

It's closer to Scientology, nobody can prove Thetans don't exist, so maybe it is money well spent.

• Locked thread