Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Just beaten FF Type-0 HD. Loved the tone of the ending where everyone is severely injured and awaiting death in their ruined classroom after a grueling fight and physically dying multiple times each. At first they finally realise how afraid they are to die now that they may be facing it, but eventually manage to get their minds of their injuries and start planning what they'll do after they finish healing, so when they inevitably do succumb to their injuries and dies together, it's without fear that they do so. It was melancholy, yet somewhat hopeful due to their idea that the academy may move on to new things. The final boss was easy, but not in a disappointing way as it felt thematically relevant.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 13:45 on Jun 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Bar Crow posted:

I started playing Shadow of Mordor and I like that dying gives you experience. Even if its just a token amount, it shows the game wants you to try fun things even if you fail instead of punishing you by wasting your time.
I've never had as much fun dying in a game as that one

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ShootaBoy posted:

I'll probably think of more once I haven't just woken up, but something that I don't think was mentioned is that the hello isn't just a voice clip, every character actually waves or does some approximate hand motion. Now that part I love is Junkrat's. He's got 2, one for an empty hand, and another for when he's holding the detonator.

Bastion has two as well. If he's in turret mode he waves with his repair arm.

I love D.Va's in her mech though. She pushes her hand up against the cockpit to make sure other characters can see :3

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
Went back 10 pages and didn't see it.

In DOOM (the 2016 reboot) you fight the cyberdemon at one point and his theme has this heavy repetitive bass theme with three beats separated by this weird electronic noise.

Turns out that in a spectrograph the three beats show up as "666" and the electronic noise is a pentagram.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Okay no my new favourite thing in The Witcher 3 is the mid-game scene where Geralt and his witcher buddies get completely shitfaced and it ends up with him prank-calling a mage while wearing nothing but his girlfriend's pants. While his buddies are wearing her dresses.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Drunken Baker posted:

How "Twitchy" is overwatch? I'm an old man with tired, old thumbs and I just can't compete with these young'uns whenit comes to twitchy shootman games these days. I played a bit of Doom multiplayer and I liked it. The whole unlocking things scratched my reptilian brain a bit, but never as well as Modern Warfare 2 did.

Man, I loved MW2 and having to use all the crappy guns to unlock their crappy add-ons which would still contribute to you levelling up. Good times.

I wish there was a demo for Overwatch or something. Might just flip a coin on payday.

Yeah, you missed out on the open beta by like three months at this point. I don't have the game but I feel like the game's pretty accessible really. If Soldier 76's ultimate superpower of autoaim isn't good enough there's always

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ev0ZgWhGVuo

Turret man

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0TPg0rgmBo

Turret lady

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFGQG8I68h8

and explosion guy. With him you just kinda shoot in the general direction of people and you kill them, it's great!

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

President Ark posted:

In DOOM (the 2016 reboot) you fight the cyberdemon at one point and his theme has this heavy repetitive bass theme with three beats separated by this weird electronic noise.

Turns out that in a spectrograph the three beats show up as "666" and the electronic noise is a pentagram.

An entire army of interns must have spent an insane amount of time figuring out how to make satanic imagery sound good in some sort of nerd spectrometer poo poo.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Nohman posted:

If you let the troll paint the fence itself instead of Geralt, it does a spot on accurate job of painting the crest.

Edit: Geralt's painting for comparison. The Witcher 3 can be a funny game.

To add to this. If Geralt does the painting the Troll loves the way it looks. If the Troll paints it, he hates it and thinks it looks like poo poo.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

President Ark posted:

Kinda reminds me of Hell March

Also here's a favorite little thing in games: Hell March fuckin rules

https://youtu.be/-b5X69vREAg

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Kinda reminds me of Hell March

Also here's a favorite little thing in games: Hell March fuckin rules

https://youtu.be/-b5X69vREAg

loving 20 years later I still hum or doot that riff to myself absent mindedly.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Who What Now posted:

An entire army of interns must have spent an insane amount of time figuring out how to make satanic imagery sound good in some sort of nerd spectrometer poo poo.
Seems more likely that they just took the regular music and put the spectroscopic stuff on top. The images are just a small part of the overall sound.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Strudel Man posted:

Seems more likely that they just took the regular music and put the spectroscopic stuff on top. The images are just a small part of the overall sound.

The pentagram is almost certainly an image converted to spectrometer (with another sound layered on top, sounds like). All spectromatic images sound like that.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dr Snofeld posted:

Okay no my new favourite thing in The Witcher 3 is the mid-game scene where Geralt and his witcher buddies get completely shitfaced and it ends up with him prank-calling a mage while wearing nothing but his girlfriend's pants. While his buddies are wearing her dresses.

You're missing a detail that makes it funnier. They don't call a mage they call the head of The Church of the Eternal Flame and he thinks Geralt and his buddies are the sorceress there to kill him.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

and he's on the toilet

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Mars: War Logs is really janky and low-budget but you can press a button to skip all of the little incidental movement animations like opening doors and climbing over things which puts it ahead of like 90% of other games.

And as Quest For Glory II pointed out, the main character's first special attack is throwing sand in people's faces like Dale Gribble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTAXUYLbFYk

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

People constantly forget about Junkrat's suicide bombs.

https://giant.gfycat.com/WellgroomedInsignificantGermanspaniel.mp4

It's always hilarious.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What's more hilarious is 4 same classes in a 6-man team.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Whenever they get me, I always realize a split second before they go off and I can never get mad because it's always my fault. It's like the bit with the rocket in Toy Story I guess. "I just lit a Junkrat. Junkrats explode!"

That POTG is wonderful.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Rigged Death Trap posted:

What's more hilarious is 4 same classes in a 6-man team.

what's really hilarious is that stacking the same character as much as you can't isn't a completely awful tactic. A full team of Soldiers, Winstons, or Pharahs can be hell to fight

President Ark posted:

the devil is in the details

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This is more of a general appreciation thing, but: I was playing Axiom Verge and went through a few rooms where the music went quiet and ominous, the scenery got even creepier, and then I came to a room with a normal door and a red door and I knew immediately that it was a boss door. When I found a save point through the normal door, and the boss behind the red door - it was great.

I like it a lot when games point out where bosses are in obvious ways and let you save beforehand. Emphasis on the save point beforehand, because I don't like it when you have to run through a full level to fight the boss, especially when it's skill-based. Dark Souls killed my interest in it when it insisted on that, for example.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Did you want to paint it black?

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Babe Magnet posted:

what's really hilarious is that stacking the same character as much as you can't isn't a completely awful tactic. A full team of Soldiers, Winstons, or Pharahs can be hell to fight

Is a Winston stack really that dangerous? I've been on the receiving end of a few, and it seems like a single Lucio can keep them at bay relatively easily, between keeping people alive and pushing Winstons out of range. I had 22 eliminations with a streak of 17 as Lucio against a team of Winstons on Hollywood (well, until they started switching characters, but by that time we were so entrenched they couldn't get any further).

I haven't faced a stack of the two other characters, but thinking about it sounds like it would be hell. Tracer stacks can work, but really only on CP maps, where they can end the match before the defenders can adapt to the strategy.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
5 Reapers and a Lucio kicked my rear end in a group. The thing is, you can't have a balanced team against a 5 stack, you also have to have a 5 stack to counter. It's terrible and basically you either lose, or are forced to play a way you didn't really want too.

That said, no twitch reflexes are not necessary for Overwatch, There's a dude with a broad sweeping hammer that holds a shield. There's a lady who just puts shields on people and lobs grenades. There's a lady that makes turrets, and has a gun that auto aims if you're close enough. Giant Monkey that does that too.

Game is fun, and is made to be accessible to everyone.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inco posted:

Is a Winston stack really that dangerous? I've been on the receiving end of a few, and it seems like a single Lucio can keep them at bay relatively easily, between keeping people alive and pushing Winstons out of range. I had 22 eliminations with a streak of 17 as Lucio against a team of Winstons on Hollywood (well, until they started switching characters, but by that time we were so entrenched they couldn't get any further).

I haven't faced a stack of the two other characters, but thinking about it sounds like it would be hell. Tracer stacks can work, but really only on CP maps, where they can end the match before the defenders can adapt to the strategy.

Maybe not an entire team but 2 winstons working properly in tandem are an absolute nightmare, their gun does not need to be aimed, hits multiple people and they can cover themselves pretty good with their bubble shields, they can basically jump in on you and rip up your team pretty good and have amazing mobility, add a team that's taking advantage of the double winstons distraction and you're in for a bad time.

Double junkrats on certain maps is also very hard to deal with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Babe Magnet posted:

the devil is in the details

You can shut down a team of Pharah's cleanly just by bringing Reinhardt along. They can't fire fast enough to kill his shield unless they focus on him, and that just leaves the rest of his team free to shoot Pharahs if they try.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
In my experience a stack of Soldier 76s' is hella fun to play. Never gone up against one, but been in a few. "We're all soldiers now" indeed.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
I don't play Overwatch, mostly because I don't do Shooters that much or competitive multiplayer in general, but I've seen a few videos and some characters stacked entirely are a very good way to win. 6 76s are really good, 6 turret ladies on defense can be great because an area just becomes a kill zone, etc. On the other hand sometimes it doesn't work very well at all. Bastions for instance aren't as good as you'd think.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Rolling deep with six Meis is hilarious because the other team gets so goddamn salty about being frozen constantly.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Mister Adequate posted:

Rolling deep with six Meis is hilarious because the other team gets so goddamn salty about being frozen constantly.

I'm not surprised considering people get salty if there's even one Mei in the game

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

princecoo posted:

In my experience a stack of Soldier 76s' is hella fun to play. Never gone up against one, but been in a few. "We're all soldiers now" indeed.

Team 6-76 is very nearly the best team comp against a non-coordinated (ie: virtually all of them) team. 76 has no direct weakness and works well against everyone (to some degree, at least). Tanks-- and their barriers-- melt, snipers get one shot off before they get five rockets to the face... and any 76 who doesn't die in one shot is immediately healed, usually while still in combat/able to return fire. The ones who do die can sprint right back into the action. With payloads ALSO healing them, it gets crazy (especially if a Lucio is healing a 5-76 team on payload).

Only coordinated strikes really have a prayer at stopping them; 76 is vulnerable to basically every AOE ult (Grav Surge + Blizzard is an easy team kill), but you'll never get that in public games. It's a pretty good time :allears:

On the other hand, it's comparatively hard to get 6-76 in public games for the same reason :cheeky:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Lady Naga posted:

The pentagram is almost certainly an image converted to spectrometer (with another sound layered on top, sounds like). All spectromatic images sound like that.
Yes, that's what I mean. They took a regular soundtrack, an image-converted-to-noise, and simply layered them on top of each other, rather than cleverly composing music that would sound good and itself create such an image.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Today, I learned something about one of my favorite games, that's nearly as old as I am.

Final Fantasy V's ending changes depending on how well you did in the final battle. Anyone who dies against NeoExDeath doesn't escape the Void when everybody else does, leaving them absent for the epilogue. It even straight-up changes narration if the person intended to be writing the letter that frames that ending is one of the ones that didn't make it.

They get brought back right before the credits, but gently caress, it is a depressing end cutscene to just see Bartz and Faris leading hollow, joyless lives while hoping for their apparently-dead friends and family to come back.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Cleretic posted:

Final Fantasy V's ending changes depending on how well you did in the final battle. Anyone who dies against NeoExDeath doesn't escape the Void when everybody else does, leaving them absent for the epilogue.

Petrification also counts. Grand Cross and Delta Attack inflict it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I'm playing a bit of Tokyo Mirage Sessions right now, and I'm really loving how the game just swan dives right into it's performance theme. Characters are called 'Artists', there are Dual and Duo attacks, Session attacks, Performances, Performa, and the dungeons are called Idolaspheres. It's just bananas and full of style and a nice departure from typical RPG fare.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
All this talk of Witcher 3 got me to look it up on Steam and it's on sale for just $25 for the next week or so. Now I can play it on my computer with silly mods :)

It also reminded me of the very first time I ever heard of the Witcher series. Someone posted a gif from the opening cutscene of the second game and it just blew me away. I found the full thing on youtube and I was hooked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl5BeOLZhyw

Might not count as a "Game moment" but it sure as hell succeeded on selling the series to me.

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
Yeah Letho owns bones.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A fun thing about Tokyo Mirage Sessions is that it has an insane amount of costumes. Characters change clothes as part of their daily life and also since everyone is some form of entertainer they have costumes from their music shows/movies/whatever too, and (with one exception) every costume is available to equip on your characters in combat.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Okay fine, I'll buy it. You bastards.

Edit: Maybe not. I forgot about this joke console's sad storage.

Aphrodite has a new favorite as of 17:49 on Jun 28, 2016

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Saint's Row 4: Early on, the player character is trapped in a 1950s sitcom ala Leave it to Beaver (it makes sense in context), complete with requisite 50s outfit and jaunty walk. However, there's an added gem if you picked the male British voice for your character. Normally he's a very gruff cockney accent, fitting for a gang leader. But during this 1950s sitcom segment, the voice actor instead uses a very proper and upper-class British accent instead. His normal lower-class accent gradually returns as you start to break the sitcom world eventually returning to normal as you start blowing up 1950s police with a rocket launcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Cythereal posted:

Saint's Row 4: Early on, the player character is trapped in a 1950s sitcom ala Leave it to Beaver (it makes sense in context), complete with requisite 50s outfit and jaunty walk. However, there's an added gem if you picked the male British voice for your character. Normally he's a very gruff cockney accent, fitting for a gang leader. But during this 1950s sitcom segment, the voice actor instead uses a very proper and upper-class British accent instead. His normal lower-class accent gradually returns as you start to break the sitcom world eventually returning to normal as you start blowing up 1950s police with a rocket launcher.

It's criminal that you can't replay missions in SR4.