Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrDorf
Apr 28, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Xanderkish posted:

Exposure therapy is actually an effective way to deal with phobias. Immersing yourself entirely in your phobic environment tends to make your anxiety go down. I've done it for a few things.

Granted, my exposures did not involve close proximity with giant man-eating sea-assholes, so your mileage may vary.

My anxiety levels while playing this game are directly related to the number of Reapers I see per play period. Sometimes it's chill as gently caress and relaxing...other times I have a desperate need to find an open field with a few hundreds of yards of visibility in every direction to sit in for awhile.

MrDorf fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I've made a huge mistake.

MrDorf posted:

My anxiety levels while playing this game are directly related to the number of Reapers I see per play period. Sometimes it's chill as gently caress and relaxing...other times I have a desperate need to find an open field with a few hundreds of yards of visibility to sit in for awhile.

The first time I loaded up the game the distant moos in and of themselves made me go all :gonk:. Then I ran into whatever trivial assholes inhabit the safe shallows and turned it off and did things outside.

I'm getting better. :geno:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I think I shouted during my first run-in with a Reaper. :gonk:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Paracelsus posted:

At the moment you can put a growbed and battery/power cell chargers on the Cyclops and be completely self-sustaining indefinitely in complete violation of the laws of thermodynamics.

Is the cyclops able to charge power cells with no external power?

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
After seeing my first Reaper (who took my Submarine and pushed it down below the crush depth where it was destroyed, the jerkoff), I swam like hell back to my base and resolved never to go out into the ocean again. The next few plays afterwards involved me slowly teasing my way out from my base again and exploring further and further, half-expecting a Reaper to pop out from somewhere and with every noise putting me on edge. It was around this point that I had concluded I wasn't willing to go scouring around potentially Reaper-infested waters not knowing where to look for things, so I cracked open the Wiki and figured out what locations had what parts, as well as what locations had Reapers, then proceeded to take expeditions from my base to search for pieces that concluded before night fell and everything became super dark (I also got freaked out by eclipses at first for similar reasons). This led to me dotting the sea floor with scanner rooms that could scout ahead without being destroyed (even allowing me to run right up to Reapers and not have them give a poo poo), after which point if the area was cleared of reapers I would venture out and gather more supplies. Then I got my Cyclops and trailed around like I owned the place.

Still had some close calls with all this, like that time a Reaper popped into a mushroom forest and I turned around and spirited away while shouting expletives the whole way back. And I still get frightened when I see Reapers, even though I know I'm in a big-rear end submersible where they can't hurt me.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Xanderkish posted:

Still had some close calls with all this, like that time a Reaper popped into a mushroom forest and I turned around and spirited away while shouting expletives the whole way back. And I still get frightened when I see Reapers, even though I know I'm in a big-rear end submersible where they can't hurt me.

One moved into my serene mushroom kingdom and still won't leave. The Reaper owns that base now.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Am I the only one who finds the reaper totally not scary at all? I mean, at a distance it's terrifying the first few times because "woah, that's a big loving fish!," and he remains nerve-wracking due to gameplay mechanics that make an encounter with one certain death, but in terms of design he looks ridiculous and isn't scary at all. I actually think all the creature designs in this are absolutely fantastic, but the reaper is the one exception.

Cojawfee posted:

Is the cyclops able to charge power cells with no external power?

It consumes power from the sub's active power cells in order to charge the ones in the charger, as you might expect. However, it only takes 20 power to fully charge a single cell, so with six cells being charged you've still got a net gain in power so long as you don't mind swapping the cells out every now and then.

Unless you're playing on XB1 like me and don't have power cell chargers yet. :argh: In that situation, the cyclops seems almost entirely useless - it's so much slower than a seamoth and somehow gets less distance out of six power cells than the seamoth gets out of one. Maybe this gets better with some efficiency modules in place.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Crab Squids freak me out a hell of a lot more than the Reaper

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Funkmaster General posted:

Am I the only one who finds the reaper totally not scary at all? I mean, at a distance it's terrifying the first few times because "woah, that's a big loving fish!," and he remains nerve-wracking due to gameplay mechanics that make an encounter with one certain death, but in terms of design he looks ridiculous and isn't scary at all. I actually think all the creature designs in this are absolutely fantastic, but the reaper is the one exception.

It's the sound, speed, and what he'll do in gameplay that scares me, not how he looks.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
I suppose if you have access to the surface or near enough too, a Seamoth with a solar panel would fill in as an emergency charger should things go entirely wrong and your Cyclops runs out of all power.

I wish the Seamoth had 5 Upgrades slots. Or at least, that the pressure compensator was a separate deal.

Feels more like you only have 3 upgrade slots, when it's either put in a pressure compensator or go gently caress yourself :geno:

Funkmaster General posted:

I've only run into one so far, since it grabbed me from behind I guess that took away some of the shock and put me straight into :sigh: "Really?" territory... Though I did turn right the gently caress around and have yet to go back, even with having finally gotten the upgrade station and installed a zappy devices.

I think in video games, outside of me being a tightly wound bitch for even the most obvious of jump scares just by pure physical reflex, I lose a lot of that feeling of fear when it's something you can do either Nothing, or Next to nothing to.

Close calls with Stalkers, Sand sharks, and Crash get more of a panic reaction from me. Likely because you are on more even terms but they can still loving murder you compared to "Well, you can just go gently caress yourself for being in the same zip code as them."

Metal Meltdown
Mar 27, 2010

My biggest scare was actually from a lowly bleeder. I was inside the generator and had been there long enough that I figured nothing hostile was in there. Let out a very loud "Jesus Christ!" when I suddenly got bit.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Mister Bup posted:

Is there actually an endgame and stuff to this now? I played it maybe a year ago and it was fun for a few days but there was nothing to actually do once you had the big submarine aside from looking at the pretty biomes for a while. I also turned off the hunger and thirst since they were completely overbearing.

Would be neat on VR.

The endgame is building the best poster collection possible.

Seriously though, the end game isn't in yet but pieces of it are and it's looking like...
..you'll need to work on exploring and find all the upgrades necessary to A. Build a vehicle capable of getting you off planet and B. Explore the absolute depths of the ocean and navigate the remains of an Alien civilization in order to turn off whatever automated systems shot down the Aurora before you launch.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Airbags. Why you do this to me?

So, previously I had a mixed two story containment. Kept Reginalds and Airbags in it.

After loading a save file, I discovered there were nothing but about 20 reginalds in it.

More recently I did some revisions to my newbie base, along with the added Moonpool and Scanner room. Now I have a pair of two story Containments, with a bio reactor seperating them in between. Life was good, I had Food fish and water fish that wouldn't glitch out and destroy eachother!...

Load my game today, it takes the longest load time yet. The reginald tank, half the fish are dead. The Airbag tank, one was left alive.

:sigh:

I hadn't been keeping up on setting aside spare fish in case of more sudden fuckups with the containment situation, having thought seperating them would handle it. welp! Time to go find a bunch of airbags, again.

EDIT: 17 dead airbags, 2 live ones. In a two story containment. So not like they went past the population limit :v: (only 10 dead Reginalds, by comparison)

I wonder if during the longer load times, it half loads your base in the background without power and that kills them? Because every time my game loads up, it goes through all the "power restored!" stuff. (The lifepod even starts off still broken, and slowly goes through the repair animations)

EDIT 2: Son of a bitch. Does anybody know what causes the "swinging your knife adds creepvine samples to your inventory" bug?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 28, 2016

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Section Z posted:

I wonder if during the longer load times, it half loads your base in the background without power and that kills them? Because every time my game loads up, it goes through all the "power restored!" stuff. (The lifepod even starts off still broken, and slowly goes through the repair animations)

I'm pretty sure the fish in alien containment don't die in the absence of power. If that was the case, I feel like I'd have noticed all the dead fish in my various solar-only bases after they run out of power every night.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
They don't need power. It does seem like they start everything up in its default state and then change all the values once it's loaded. it's really annoying to hear all the messages you get when things happen all at once when loading a save.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Can fish reproduce in the big alien containment aquarium things?

Also :lol: at the fish eating each other. I heard a story about a company that maintained aquariums for corporations, like big ones in their lobby. One CEO bought a few goldfish to "add some color to the tank" and within minutes phoned the company in horror as the big cichlids devoured them.

I wish we could set up the power cell charger to run the base as a reserve power source for people trying to do solar-only.

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
There is a lot of satisfaction in getting a Seamoth built and watching bleeders fruitlessly bang their heads against the glass.

The sandy area with the sand sharks and bleeders is still a bit ridiculous though. I still have to jump out of the sub to scan stuff, but I only have a few seconds before sharks and bleeders come after me. Can you build a scanning tool for subs?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Promontory posted:

There is a lot of satisfaction in getting a Seamoth built and watching bleeders fruitlessly bang their heads against the glass.

The sandy area with the sand sharks and bleeders is still a bit ridiculous though. I still have to jump out of the sub to scan stuff, but I only have a few seconds before sharks and bleeders come after me. Can you build a scanning tool for subs?

Nope. Your best bet is installing perimeter defense on the moth and shocking the piss out of the area before exiting.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Do sand sharks have suction attacks or something? I've noticed that my seaglide loves to suddenly start moving slower than I can swim without it when I have sandshark aggro.

Granted, sometimes it feels the seaglide just likes to gently caress with me in general. But it's most common when I've been wanting to just zip away from/past sand sharks and nope sorry you may as well be not moving.

Unrelated, is the Scanner room busted, or do spawns just like to gently caress with you? I made a scanner room, and a range upgrade for it and the hud upgrade. Found a couple quartz once (and one of the indicators was an empty spot). Last I checked the room, my only scan options were salt, and crash poweder... I know there's salvage within a short distance of my base for example (even below 50m) but nope only crash and salt past a few reloads and trips back to my scanner room. Go for a drive with the drones looking at about everything within 300m of the base, come back... salt and crash.

Is the scanner room basically just for show? What the gently caress?

EDIT: Oh, I guess it's wrecks that make the seaglide go slow as molasses, not the sharks. Even my swimming is suddenly sluggish (hate to thin how slow I'd be moving without ultra fins).... Whiiich doesn't help when a sandshark wanders inside the wreck after me, after I had already murdered 3 sharks with my seamoth zapper first :downs:

It's the electric chair for you, fishy!

Section Z fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 28, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I can never really justify using the Seaglide, because it takes up a huge amount of inventory space and burns through its battery stupidly fast.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Oh man you haven't lived until you've got a battery charger and two sets of seaglide batteries. How do you even collect resources?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

dylguy90 posted:

Oh man you haven't lived until you've got a battery charger and two sets of seaglide batteries. How do you even collect resources?

Yeah I keep eight spare batteries for my tools, including the sea glide. Four are always on a charger and the other four are in my inventory, getting swapped for fresh ones every time I RTB. The sea glide is absolutely awesome and because of its speed I don't even really carry any defensive measures like the repulsion cannon or stasis rifle. I just pull up in the moth, discharge the perimeter defense a bunch of times, then jump out with the glide. The electricity scatters anything around (except shockers) and the glide gives me enough speed to stay out of reach of anything that comes back before I'm done.

The only time I use the stasis rifle is to get past hanging stingers in caves and I never use the repulsion cannon.

Cubey posted:

Crab Squids freak me out a hell of a lot more than the Reaper

Noticed this from earlier and loving yes. I hate those goddamn crabsquids, they're exceedingly creepy and they hit like a loving truck if they get a piece of you. Plus I have a hard time hearing what little noise they make so I find them to be bad for getting the drop on me.

I am also terrified by the upcoming warpers. God they're gonna suck.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just picked this up during the steam sale and I don't have a clue how this flew under my radar for so long. I was up last night and thought "oh it's time for bed. Guess it's only 1-2am." then looked at my phone and saw I was pushing 6am. Haven't had that happen since minecraft came out.

I should add that despite it being a game I don't think I've had a feeling of "oh gently caress I do not know what is below me and that is scary" when not being able to see the ocean floor since I was a little kid. If you have to piss in the night you do NOT dangle your feet over your bed. Something will get you.

On Terra Firma fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 28, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I could use a set of goals to strive for in the early game. I made some fins, a welder and a knife and ... now what? Also i guess the reactor blowing up is an unstoppable event but does it change my environment significantly?

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

double nine posted:

I could use a set of goals to strive for in the early game. I made some fins, a welder and a knife and ... now what? Also i guess the reactor blowing up is an unstoppable event but does it change my environment significantly?

make a seamoth to go deeper, build a base to pimp out with all the stuff you find, work towards a giant mobile base in the cyclops

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

The reactor blowing up throws radiation around the Aurora for now, so you can't go there until you make a special lead wetsuit and have a death wish.

Basically keep exploring deeper, you'll find cool new poo poo to build. Right now there's no endgame but there's plenty of legitimately cool scary challenges to overcome and neat things to make, which is about as much as much as you can say for any unfinished survival game.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

double nine posted:

Parts of the map will be blocked off due to heavy radiation. You can get around it by wearing the radiation suit, but sometimes you want to wear other suit...so might as well as go fix the reactor.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

dylguy90 posted:

I make a Seamoth, which I can find the parts for easier than the ones for a battery charger.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008
There's good poo poo in there anyway, like the Seamoth pressure compensator and Cyclops power upgrade module. Getting a seamoth and a lead dive suit (note: remember to equip all three parts of it, it comes with helmet and gloves) so you can go fix the reactor should be your first major goal after building a basic seabase, IMO.

Just skim the seafloor and keep your eyes and ears open and you'll be fine. You can outmaneuver Reapers as long as you see them coming.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Drunk in Space posted:

Playing this for the first time in a while, and noticed something pretty cool:

When did eclipses become a thing?

Enjoying all the other new stuff too. The water and the lighting effects associated with it look fantastic now.

My first eclipse was terrifying. I was just starting the game and in the middle of a kelp field.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

double nine posted:

A scanner. You need it to unlock more blueprints by scanning fragments. An O2 tank or two would help as well.

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jun 28, 2016

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

double nine posted:

You can build another O2 tank and keep it in your inventory to get the bonus. Get set up with an underwater base and make sure you have plenty of power. A water purifier is pretty handy but draws a ton of power. The seamoth is a must have for getting anywhere remotely interesting. The rebreather is something you'll need past 200m.

I just got the maximum depth upgrade for the seamoth so I'm pretty stoked about going pretty much wherever I want.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Hrm. To Creative or to Freedom. I'm thinking the former until an endgame is in. I mean, if all I want to do is build an array of sweet sweet tech bases, why bother adding stuff like Health and Oxygen?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Are you guys sure about the multiple O2 tanks thing? Last time I played I didn't see an increase in capacity from having multiples, but I did find that tanks save their O2 level and can be swapped for a fresh one.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"I have returned from the Aurora! I have repaired the reactor, and now possess a Cyclops! What have you got for me, Scanner room?"

Salt Deposits
Crash Powder
*One docked Camera drone has seemingly vanished*

"..."

Scanner Room
Construct (Mouse button left) Deconstruct (Q)
Get hosed % | Enamled glass | Titanium(3) | Computer chip(2)

"You're not even worth keeping as a pretty setpiece"

Honky Dong Country posted:

Are you guys sure about the multiple O2 tanks thing? Last time I played I didn't see an increase in capacity from having multiples, but I did find that tanks save their O2 level and can be swapped for a fresh one.

It totally works. I'm so glad it works, even if so far I mostly keep one spare high capacity tank on me.
105 seconds with one equipped. 165 seconds with a second in my inventory. They stack further if I need to. Just the one extra tank doesn't add too much weight, and doesn't take up much room.

Plasteel tanks are such a loving letdown, though. High capacity tanks give a good benefit for their trade off. Plasteel tanks take a farther out resource, and only give you 30 seconds of air for being "Lighter".

Big loving deal, when your most frequent use of that speed boost swimming is all the extra return trips for air. Plus with my preference of the ultra fins over the charger fins, a pair of High capacity tanks is still pleasant, and just one high capacity tank has me realizing I've swum a mile from my base again with plenty of air for kelp forest roaming.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 29, 2016

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
What's the progression like in this game? Do you start out a small insignificant escape bouy and then stay that way, or do you eventually get like a giant battleship and a crew etc? Basically do the mechanics of the game evolve, or is it more end-goal focused where you are trying to get home/figure out the mystery/etc?

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Powercrazy posted:

What's the progression like in this game? Do you start out a small insignificant escape bouy and then stay that way, or do you eventually get like a giant battleship and a crew etc? Basically do the mechanics of the game evolve, or is it more end-goal focused where you are trying to get home/figure out the mystery/etc?

The mechanics evolve AND there will eventually be an end goal (that part of the game is still under construction). You start out scrimping for supplies on short dives from your beat-up lifepod, build some gear, progress to constructing swank undersea bases of operation, and eventually get your own personal pan submarine. Getting different and new technologies requires making trips to different biomes progressively further and deeper from your safe starting shallows.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

Powercrazy posted:

Yeah you start off in an escape pod but eventually can build your own subaquatic science fortress and also can build a submarine that you can walk around inside of, which can even carry a smaller personal exploration craft.

My first playthru of this game has been using the Vive and it turned this game from a lighthearted waterworld sandbox to a full-on ocean phobia simulator. When im in deep dark water i have to sit indian-style in my computer chair for fear that something might get my legs

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

Tank stuff

drat I'll have to look again. When I first played this I used to keep multiple tanks but the last time I played it wasn't working that way. Maybe I was catching some kind of weird bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Honky Dong Country posted:

drat I'll have to look again. When I first played this I used to keep multiple tanks but the last time I played it wasn't working that way. Maybe I was catching some kind of weird bug.

I'm relatively new to the game myself (Bought it a while back, but only recently finally playing). In my skimming of stuff it did sound like there were times where tanks didn't stack.

Plus there are cool things like battery chargers and power cell chargers, which I can't imagine how people got by before they existed.

I set up my newbie base by a lot of generous patches of shrooms and table coral but many hours of my slow progress and many loading of save files, and basically every single thing taken within a large radius around my base is still gone. It probably would look less odd if I had picked those patches clean, instead of leaving about half the shrooms per patch.

As much why I dismantled my scanner room as anything. Even if it didn't seem to be buggy and iffy, not like It's going to ever help me find quartz near my base with a range upgrade if it never respawns within 100+ m of it :v: To the point it won't even let me try to scan for it (or salvage) in the first place for 90% of it's existence, apparently.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Jun 29, 2016