Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
How the hell do you place rail now? I loaded up a save game and built some rails and tried to lay them and all I can do is place them normally, no idea how to do curves etc etc.

E: Figured it out, have to start from a placed rail and go from there.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Jun 28, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Voxx posted:

You basically sit around watching a show until you get the red science for the assembler 2, and then you actually start playing the game. You can run around hitting trees and large rocks to speed things up a bit. The stone furnace works as a chest for coal.

Part of the fun of this is knowing how ridiculous the factory is going to get since of course I want everything on demand. :getin:

I would require at least 20 more logistics slots before I would even attempt this. No way am I losing the ability to have everything on-hand by the time I get to where I'm going to hand-build, and that usually means slapping a few more assemblers and belts together on the run over.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Oil distribution seems to have changed a lot. I know they said they changed the resource seeding but the ores are fairly much like they were. Oil however I only have low quality patches but they are in thick clumps - 17 in the one closest to my start on this map. I didn't use any funky options either.

I'm going to do a normal run through first then pick off the oddball achievements.

It's weird, some maps have the normal pre-patch resource distribution. But then others have RSO-type resource distribution.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
The updated flamethrower is rather satisfying. Sadly it doesn't remove the trees when the forests burn, it leaves charred trees which you still have to harvest/shoot normally to get rid of. The graphics of the forest fire is very nice though, I love the thick black smoke cloud. Be careful though, you can burn large portions of your base down if they're close to trees - not like I would do something that silly.

Loopoo posted:

This'll be the last time I ask, cause I've sorta been asking way too much: Any EU peeps wanna play a game together?

Just jump on DimitriX's server. There's a thread for it in private games.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Fwoosh, crackle crackle

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Ratzap posted:

The updated flamethrower is rather satisfying. Sadly it doesn't remove the trees when the forests burn, it leaves charred trees which you still have to harvest/shoot normally to get rid of.

that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

awesmoe posted:

that suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

Update: On closer inspection, it is considerably thinning them out when it burns but they are far from all gone.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Ratzap posted:

Just jump on DimitriX's server. There's a thread for it in private games.

I dunno, I thought about doing that but I prefer small groups of people. Two, maybe three max. It feels a lot more rewarding, instead of hopping on a server where 90% of stuff is researched and there's already a massive base laid down already.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

splifyphus posted:

Goddamnit.

e: I think I might have to give this patch a few more weeks in the oven. I can't connect to the mod portal or the public lobby because the game thinks I don't own it, even though I've linked up my factorio account to my steam account. Then when I try to join DmitriX's server (which I ping at 155ms) I get loaded into the map fine, but when I get in everything is frozen except for my cursor.

Seems to be a huge number of bugs popping up on the official forums too. Hope it doesn't take too long for a couple of quick fixit patches.

Do feel free to try joining it again, it might have been an one-off glitch.
Or just wait the freeze out - it might be something the server just needs to process through

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not my gif, but I'm excited for flamethrower turrets now. Just about ready to research flammables.
https://gfycat.com/PessimisticQuarterlyBird

drunkill fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 28, 2016

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Wow, they seem... underwhelming? I mean, they look fantastic, but they aim like poo poo. Spraying where the creepers were, and not where they'll be.

Now that I've seen how they perform, I doubt I'll bother making them.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Loopoo posted:

Wow, they seem... underwhelming? I mean, they look fantastic, but they aim like poo poo. Spraying where the creepers were, and not where they'll be.

Now that I've seen how they perform, I doubt I'll bother making them.

Is this where I dig back through the thread and quote myself saying "why are people excited for flame turrets? They're going to be useless"

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
What I want is a continuous beam turret that can start fires.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Gibbo posted:

Is this where I dig back through the thread and quote myself saying "why are people excited for flame turrets? They're going to be useless"

I mean, they're not completely useless. That's a bit of a heavyhanded thing to say. I can see a couple grouped together would be strong enough to wipe out those huge hoards you end up attracting late-game. Wiping them out much, much faster than either laser / bullet turrets can handle.

Just their aiming gets on my nerves.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Seems like you'd want to mix them with gun turrets? Horde of biters show up, guns shoot down the front runners, while the flames that got shot at them end up torching the ones further back.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
try putting the flamers further back from the wall

more of a note to self, really

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Remember they also randomized spitter range so instead of being spread out radially around a target, they should be a bit more clumped up.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I like the new furnace animation.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.
The "RSO replacement" does seem to richness based on distance right, but the game still has a love affair with swamping you with dozens of miniature resource patches even if you tweak the map gen settings to try to explicitly avoid it. Actual RSO still vastly preferred to me for that reason.

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat
The new RSO doesn't seem to have the infinite, percentage based resource deposits like before. It's just the regular set number. What up with that?

Royal W
Jun 20, 2008

BrainMeats posted:

The new RSO doesn't seem to have the infinite, percentage based resource deposits like before. It's just the regular set number. What up with that?

RSO always had static amounts in its mineral patches, I thought.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So if I want to update to 0.13 do I have to start a new factory or will my 0.12 factory import ok?

BrainMeats
Aug 20, 2000

We have evolved beyond the need for posting.

Soiled Meat

Royal W posted:

RSO always had static amounts in its mineral patches, I thought.

Maybe I'm just confused. There was a standalone infinite resource mod but I thought I got rid of it when RSO replaced it. I had a whole bunch of addons that I wiped clean for 0.13.

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

quiggy posted:

So if I want to update to 0.13 do I have to start a new factory or will my 0.12 factory import ok?

If you were using mods, then you'll probably have to start a new factory unless all of those mods have been updated.

If your 0.12 factory was vanilla, then you'll be fine, though you might have to fix a few issues if you have trains or smart inserters/smart chests.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

thedaian posted:

If you were using mods, then you'll probably have to start a new factory unless all of those mods have been updated.

If your 0.12 factory was vanilla, then you'll be fine, though you might have to fix a few issues if you have trains or smart inserters/smart chests.

I only just bought the game last week, so I haven't gotten into modding yet. Really I just want to be able to burn down this forest that's blocking my expansion.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

BrainMeats posted:

Maybe I'm just confused. There was a standalone infinite resource mod but I thought I got rid of it when RSO replaced it. I had a whole bunch of addons that I wiped clean for 0.13.

RSO has a config file you can edit, but by default everything is still finite. I think the richest I saw in my last save was about 120k copper under an electric mine.

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
I always clear forest with grenades. Easy to churn out with an Assembler, and clicking twice will kill every tree in the grenade's AoE.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

mossyfisk posted:

I always clear forest with grenades. Easy to churn out with an Assembler, and clicking twice will kill every tree in the grenade's AoE.

You get an achievement for burning down 10,000 trees or something so get squirting with the flamethrower.

I started a save to do the Lazy achievement. I don't know about Lazy though, it's more tedium and frustration - press the wrong icon and you are loading again. After 3 hours and 45 minutes I got green science going and have 105/111 on the hand crafts counter. That will let me make 5 refineries so finishing the game shouldn't entail too much waiting around. In the end I've gone with a split factory. One set of mines/furnaces/assemblers purely to run the science constructions and the other builds all the crap for me. Roll on the robot revolution.

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

So, I'm finally to setting up my oil unload station. How is the rail stop on the circuit network supposed to work? I connected the two stack inserters to the stop with green wire and set the condition to enabled if empty barrels is below 40, but it still just dumped all 100 empty barrels in. I feel like I missed something.

E: just found a second oil cluster with about 39 nodes. Even once fully depleted that will be 3.9/s without mods, all at one station.

carticket fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 29, 2016

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
And done.

Burn baby, burn. On that note, be aware that if you torch a forest and it damaged a nest, they come for you regardless of how far away. But once the fire goes out they stop.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Ratzap posted:

And done.

Burn baby, burn. On that note, be aware that if you torch a forest and it damaged a nest, they come for you regardless of how far away. But once the fire goes out they stop.

This is edging into Dwarf Fortress levels of righteous, endless aggression involving trees.

emTme3
Nov 7, 2012

by Hand Knit
a

emTme3 fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Mar 31, 2022

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I picked up this game today after eyeballing it for the last three months and it's been really neat! I love to solve these kinds of problems and I love to try and do so elegantly.

My first attempt at total automation of a process came in the form of Research 1. The first version of the process ended up looking like this:

I have a problem with product volume, that I actually had a solution for, but failed to implement correctly. The idea was that when there were 2 products in a process, they would have exclusive lanes on the belt, so if one product backfilled, it'd only backfill on itself and not clog up the process. I did this correctly for Iron Ore. I did it incorrectly for Copper Ore and the raw materials line for Research 1 :(. I didn't bother fixing them here since I want to tear it all down as I have an idea that reduces the physical footprint of the process by reasonable amount while still being expandable to the edge of the map. This problem set is so neat though and I love seeing these kinds of things and then fixing them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I picked up this game today after eyeballing it for the last three months and it's been really neat! I love to solve these kinds of problems and I love to try and do so elegantly.

My first attempt at total automation of a process came in the form of Research 1. The first version of the process ended up looking like this:

I have a problem with product volume, that I actually had a solution for, but failed to implement correctly. The idea was that when there were 2 products in a process, they would have exclusive lanes on the belt, so if one product backfilled, it'd only backfill on itself and not clog up the process. I did this correctly for Iron Ore. I did it incorrectly for Copper Ore and the raw materials line for Research 1 :(. I didn't bother fixing them here since I want to tear it all down as I have an idea that reduces the physical footprint of the process by reasonable amount while still being expandable to the edge of the map. This problem set is so neat though and I love seeing these kinds of things and then fixing them.

yeah never mix a lane on a belt like that

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

splifyphus posted:

I think it might be a problem with the new flamethrower in general. It looks sweet and feels awesome and does shitloads of damage, but only seems to hit exactly where your mouse is and nowhere else. You only seem to be able to hit one enemy at a time, and you end up damaging yourself when trying to hose down a big swarm.

It's a step in the right direction, but it could still use some tweaking.

It's pretty ridiculously powerful. I was disappointed at first too because it doesn't fire in a cone any more but it's a huge improvement, you won't damage yourself as long as you remember to always keep the cursor at least one tile away and it kills almost everything instantly. You can run through an alien colony and just hose everything down then run away, just waving the mouse over everything for a split second is enough to kill it because of the fire it leaves behind. Then you just spray one tile behind you as you run away and go grab your artifacts.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Have the conveyors from your coal and copper mines intersect in a T-junction, with coal coming from one side and copper coming from the other. They'll both slot onto each side of the belt and never mix. Your underground belts are good but for a smelting area, it's not really necessary to loop it back around. If your smelters are using up resources faster than the belt can provide, just make more mining drills to oversaturate the belt.

Some people in this thread think loops are a waste of time, but I think they're pretty drat nifty for stuff like research bottles.

But yeah, don't bother looping your smelter conveyor back around. Coal doesn't usually get used up that fast, but ore does. Maybe expanding so your future smelting area has two conveyors, one purely for ore (because your upgraded furnaces go through them like wildfire) and the other for coal. That's what I do.

Using T-junction conveyor convergence points lets you keep items on each side of the belt. This is alright for some situations, but mid to late game when your factory is devouring products, you should switch to fully saturated belts for maximum output. Mixing belts is mainly useful in early game.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Jun 29, 2016

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Good post, sharing belts is also good for for products that require 3 or 4 inputs and hopefully have a longer manufacture time. Think of Advanced Circuits or Blue Research.

Something like Solar Panels as an example. They need 15 Electronic Circuits, but only 5 Copper and 5 Steel. It might make sense for your setup share Copper and Steel on a belt, and have a dedicated belt for Electronic Circuits because you'll need a lot more bandwidth. Of course you can dedicate 3 belts, but in your early games addiction, it can be nice to have input on one side of the and output on the other.

If you ever get into mods, belt sharing is great when things need 5 and 6 inputs. (top left corner you can see the belt joining)

Regallion
Nov 11, 2012

Oh hey v .13.1 is here

DEM PATCH NOTES SON posted:

Changes
Added /demote to demote players from admins

Bugfixes
Fixed crash when shift right clicking furnace fuel slots. (27125)
Fixed not being able to rename train stops. (27129)
Fixed stack filter inserters taking too many filters when building them by fast replace. (27147)
Fixed automatic insertion of satellites into rocket silos.
Fixed flamethrower not unlocking on loading old saves in 0.13.
Fixed map corruption and possible crashes when damaged stone rocks migrated from 0.12 saves got destroyed in 0.13. (172634)
Fixed that saving a map could crash under some circumstances. (27226)
Fixed that locomotives were not moving enough in reverse.
Fixed that --create didn't work with just a filename. (27139)
Fixed that disabled and invalid mods were still marking the game as modded for the achievements.
Fixed headless server crashed when launched with closed stdin. (27158)
Fixed that stack transfering (shift clicking) armor off your player could end up deleting the armor if you lost inventory space. (172689)
Fixed the watch your step achievement.
Fixed downloading mods crashed the game (27109).
Fixed that starting with modded game still activated achievements from steam. (27313)
Fixed the kick message. (27310)
Fixed technology effects translation of worker robot storage and speed.
Fixed crash when the game tries to remove old version of mod that is unpacked directory instead of a zip package. (27176)
Fixed that max player count was ignored when joining multiplayer game.
Fixed that attempting to connect with 0.12 client to a 0.13 server wouldn't display the proper error message for the client and would display "unknown message type received" for the server. (27322)
Fixed too large capacity of internal pipe in flamethrower turret. (27315)
Fixed inserters and belts connected to circuit network turning on for one tick when something is disconnected or fast replaced in from the network. (27251)
Fixed that the technology description didn't wrap when it was too long, which also made the research button unreachable. (27106)
Fixed that there were walls over water in the tight spot scenario. (27344)
Fixed that can_build_entity command didn't check tile collisions.
Fixed that the Research Finished text could flash too fast sometimes. (27170)
Fixed that failed attempt to determine public IP address crashes the headless server (27166).
Fixed graphical issue with lights when light render quality was set to low. (27312)
Fixed steel chests getting disabled when migrating 0.12 saves to 0.13 when the 0.12 save didn't have smart chests unlocked. (27208)
Fixed crash when using LuaForce::entity_build_count_statistics. (27348)
Possibly fixed hang when closing the Steam overlay on some Linux systems. (27275)

Modding
Added mandatory reversing_power_modifier property into locomotive prototype definition.
Changed the logistic-robot-storage and logistic-robot-speed modifiers to worker-robot-storage and worker-robot-speed

Regallion fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

DmitriX posted:

Oh hey v .13.1 is here

Thank god. I've had to use the map to figure out my rail network since I haven't been able to rename the stops.