Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Ok so here's the dialogue from the troll quest because I'm a huge nerd and love trolls, spoilering in case you haven't done it.

Trollololo sings:

Who drinks barrels and asks for more?
The infantry from Tregotor!

Pikes in air, swords to sky
Nilfgaard scum must die die die!

Who makes Emhyr wet his panty?
Cavalry from Nimnar Valley!

Mamma come and see dem marching
It King Ravodid who call
Your boy now in the army
Lost to you he serves us all

Then there’s at least one more I didn’t catch

Conversation with Geralt, I had the paint in my inventory and chose to help him and had Geralt draw the bird (the correct way :colbert:). Just going to alternate Trollolo’s and Geralt’s dialogue, should be obvious which one is speaking.

You! Mans! Here Redania camp army. No cross. No boat steal!
Redanian army? Where’re you hiding them?
It… it here, me. No see mans? Join me King Ravodid army. Order got… guard boatses.
Hm, boats’re in pretty bad shape.
Me guard boats. Reds say… But no wood for to make… uh… fence. There boats, aye. So me fence make of boats. Boats guard boats!
Why’d you join the army? Someone recruit you?
Crude? No crude… Come good soldiermans. Say chargyman, watch boats! Peasanters they steals peasanter boats… Puzzler trollololo, dunno…
Think I do. Redanians seized some peasants’ boats. Thought the peasants might try to take them back. What happened next?
Chargyman go, soldiermans drink. And sing. LOTS sing. Listen troll. Boff! Come peasanters. Swing sharpy sticks. I help want army. Runner to runner. Holla peasanters, holla soldiermans. Gentle, move them apart. But all lie down. Soldiermans too. But order had me – watch boats. And watch I. Trollololo soldierman now. Trollololo sing too. You for sing you?
No, thanks, heard you earlier… but listen, where are the bodies? Don’t see any.
Hungry go. Should no waste? Peasanters – good food. Soldierman friends – no so good. Big stew – always good.
Guess I understand. War time rules.
Mans soldierman too?
Uh… no.
Trollololo makes mans soldierman! Trollolo chargyman, say: bring paint, and mans brings paint.
Uh, paint? What’re we talking about?
Paint, paint. Red colory, white colory. City gots. No city go. Trollolo watch boats.
Just so happens I have some paint on me.
Oh oh oh! Uh… ohhh. Oww.
What’s the matter?
Has paint… but… how dunno.
Hm, might be a problem.
Mans how know? I order! Mans knows!
I guess I do… depends what.
Birdo colory. Redania birdo. Shields like.
Guess I can give it a shot. Got a brush?
Beautifoo, pretty birdo.
Think so? Long as you’re happy with it…
Mans good. No like othermans. Thank yous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
So not having played the other witcher games (or at least not completely) is that spy in the white orchard frying pan quest supposed to be someone in particular?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

So not having played the other witcher games (or at least not completely) is that spy in the white orchard frying pan quest supposed to be someone in particular?

yes - Thaler, the foul-mouthed cobbler you meet later on.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

JetsGuy posted:

Yes.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Pellisworth posted:

Ok so here's the dialogue from the troll quest because I'm a huge nerd and love trolls, spoilering in case you haven't done it.

Trollololo sings:

Who drinks barrels and asks for more?
The infantry from Tregotor!

Pikes in air, swords to sky
Nilfgaard scum must die die die!

Mamma come and see dem marching
It King Ravodid who call
Your boy now in the army
Lost to you he serves us all

Then there’s at least one more I didn’t catch

Conversation with Geralt, I had the paint in my inventory and chose to help him and had Geralt draw the bird (the correct way :colbert:). Just going to alternate Trollolo’s and Geralt’s dialogue, should be obvious which one is speaking.

You! Mans! Here Redania camp army. No cross. No boat steal!
Redanian army? Where’re you hiding them?
It… it here, me. No see mans? Join me King Ravodid army. Order got… guard boatses.
Hm, boats’re in pretty bad shape.
Me guard boats. Reds say… But no wood for to make… uh… fence. There boats, aye. So me fence make of boats. Boats guard boats!
Why’d you join the army? Someone recruit you?
Crude? No crude… Come good soldiermans. Say chargyman, watch boats! Peasanters they steals peasanter boats… Puzzler trollololo, dunno…
Think I do. Redanians seized some peasants’ boats. Thought the peasants might try to take them back. What happened next?
Chargyman go, soldiermans drink. And sing. LOTS sing. Listen troll. Boff! Come peasanters. Swing sharpy sticks. I help want army. Runner to runner. Holla peasanters, holla soldiermans. Gentle, move them apart. But all lie down. Soldiermans too. But order had me – watch boats. And watch I. Trollololo soldierman now. Trollololo sing too. You for sing you?
No, thanks, heard you earlier… but listen, where are the bodies? Don’t see any.
Hungry go. Should no waste? Peasanters – good food. Soldierman friends – no so good. Big stew – always good.
Guess I understand. War time rules.
Mans soldierman too?
Uh… no.
Trollololo makes mans soldierman! Trollolo chargyman, say: bring paint, and mans brings paint.
Uh, paint? What’re we talking about?
Paint, paint. Red colory, white colory. City gots. No city go. Trollolo watch boats.
Just so happens I have some paint on me.
Oh oh oh! Uh… ohhh. Oww.
What’s the matter?
Has paint… but… how dunno.
Hm, might be a problem.
Mans how know? I order! Mans knows!
I guess I do… depends what.
Birdo colory. Redania birdo. Shields like.
Guess I can give it a shot. Got a brush?
Beautifoo, pretty birdo.
Think so? Long as you’re happy with it…
Mans good. No like othermans. Thank yous.

Best part of that quest is the comparison between Geralt's drawing and the Troll's. The troll likes Geralt's better though.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pellisworth posted:

yes - Thaler, the foul-mouthed cobbler you meet later on.

That's what I suspected. Awesome

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Maaan I forgot how stank-pretty this game is even though it came out over a year ago. Also, game owns, camera work surprisingly owns in cutscenes. Never noticed that before. Missed a really nice shot of the sun rising on Geralt and Vesemir.

Also, Dandelion has a different VA which makes me think of Geralt's friends in a different way.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

Maaan I forgot how stank-pretty this game is even though it came out over a year ago. Also, game owns, camera work surprisingly owns in cutscenes. Never noticed that before. Missed a really nice shot of the sun rising on Geralt and Vesemir.

Also, Dandelion has a different VA which makes me think of Geralt's friends in a different way.

Old Man Dandelion is the narrator of the original opening cinematic for Witcher 1. Regular 50 year old-looks-like-he's-30 Dandelion still sounds like his usual self later in the game.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I thought Dandelion was like 40.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I hated Dandelion in the Witcher 2 on account of his voice, demeanour, and his somewhat implausible plot-armour. How does he survive all the warring and purging going on if not for authorial fiat?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

RatHat posted:

I thought Dandelion was like 40.

In The Last Wish, Geralt says that Dandelion "is on the wrong side of 40, looks like he's 30, and acts like he's 20."
There's a good few years between Last Wish and Witcher 3, dude is definitely pushing it.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I hated Dandelion in the Witcher 2 on account of his voice, demeanour, and his somewhat implausible plot-armour. How does he survive all the warring and purging going on if not for authorial fiat?

Mostly luck and Geralt helping him.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

Pellisworth posted:

I always got the impression that he killed everyone, soldiers and peasants. Accidentally of course cause he is a good soldiermans.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

RatHat posted:

Mostly luck and Geralt helping him.

I'm going to love Novigrad then.

Continuity in the series is a bit weird. Radovid is younger than Ciri if you look at the dates. The game series is a less a trilogy of events, more like three standalone stories where each new instalment overrides the previous one. Geralt saves Temeria from a conspiracy, only for Temeria to be dissolved in the next game. He squabbles politics with the kings of the North, only for Nilfgaard to steamroll over them. Pray we never get a Witcher 4, where a meteorite destroys both Nilfgaard and the North.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm going to love Novigrad then.

Continuity in the series is a bit weird. Radovid is younger than Ciri if you look at the dates. The game series is a less a trilogy of events, more like three standalone stories where each new instalment overrides the previous one. Geralt saves Temeria from a conspiracy, only for Temeria to be dissolved in the next game. He squabbles politics with the kings of the North, only for Nilfgaard to steamroll over them. Pray we never get a Witcher 4, where a meteorite destroys both Nilfgaard and the North.

I don't see the problem here really - It's a point through the series that Geralt is only one guy, his actions often have large consequences but he can't stop Nilfgaard all by himself, even if he wanted to.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Geralt didn't save Temeria in Witcher 2. You end up letting Foltest's assassin walk because the political chaos in Temeria makes your original mission pointless. The only concrete thing Geralt manages to do in 2 is neutralize Seila's insurance plan. By that point the conspiracy is toast, and arguably the only thing Geralt did was ensure the massacre at Loch Muinn could proceed as planned.

edit:

eleven extra elephants
Feb 16, 2007

Menschliches! Allzumenschliches!!
Much as I think this game is great in many ways any segment where I have to fight in a confined space is loving dogshit. Also why the gently caress can I not drink potions in fist fights?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

I don't see the problem here really - It's a point through the series that Geralt is only one guy, his actions often have large consequences but he can't stop Nilfgaard all by himself, even if he wanted to.

I'm fine with it, because as a series it means the last game is the strongest one. Mass Effect tried doing a trilogy from the beginning and that ended... divisively. The framing-device meta-plot of Assassin's Creed was doomed from the very beginning when they fired the director and altered and stretched the story interminably.

The sweet spot for any instalment is one that can stand alone while benefiting from continuity. Mild hiccups, like Iorveth being shot into the sun, are forgivable.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I don't understand what motive Iorveth would have for getting involved in any part of Witcher 3.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't understand what motive Iorveth would have for getting involved in any part of Witcher 3.

fanservice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Arglebargle III posted:

A squirrel camp talks about how he is most likely dead pin cushioned with arrows

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arcsquad12 posted:

A squirrel camp talks about how he is most likely dead pin cushioned with arrows

Good. Roche path - only path.

he said having barely played past that decision in W2

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Thanks for the double post phone!

A double post somehow twenty minutes apart nonetheless. Yay iPhones

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Soooo enemy up scaling on NG+ made the rats at Avallach's cave become skull-leveled titans

Y'know what Geralt, I think I'm on Keira's side here

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Pellisworth posted:

Axii stuns a single target, Alt-Axii charms a single target, you can also open up "Jedi mind trick" conversation options with some points invested in it. I'd say the most niche use since it's single target and a lot of enemies are immune to the charm (I think? I need to test it more). You can do fun stuff like stun a lone enemy, roll behind and backstab them. I feel like it's most useful against single enemies resistant to Igni, so maybe golems and elementals, draconids? The alt-Axii charm is pretty cool against humans.

Axii is fantastic for elite enemies. Most of them aren't immune to it, so you can stun, get three attacks off, dodge, and stun again.

Is there a mechanical reason to get bestiary entries? Is it like TW2, where you couldn't loot the monster quite as well if you didn't have the full entry?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

If she turned them into horses would that be better or worse?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Xander77 posted:

Axii is fantastic for elite enemies. Most of them aren't immune to it, so you can stun, get three attacks off, dodge, and stun again.

Is there a mechanical reason to get bestiary entries? Is it like TW2, where you couldn't loot the monster quite as well if you didn't have the full entry?

Not really the same as Witcher 2. In Witcher 3, search for books on monsters. Reading them will not give you bonus stuff for killing monsters, but they do unlock the recipes you need to make mutagen decoctions for specific creatures.

Also, I'm on Hearts of Stone, and just finished Open Sesame! I love what a clusterfuck that quest devolves into.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Lambert quest: "He's, uh...

Supervising?"

and the random thug assaulting a merchant and taking an Axii to the face:

"Gotta go home and brush my teeth".

On the other hand, I really hate the Dandelion redesign.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I'm trying the game again. I gave the Swallow potion to the sick girl, turned the drunk forge arsonist over to the authorities, and encouraged the village to house a deserted Nilfgaardian soldier. Of course those decisions will not bite me in the rear end at all.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

monster on a stick posted:

I'm trying the game again. I gave the Swallow potion to the sick girl, turned the drunk forge arsonist over to the authorities, and encouraged the village to house a deserted Nilfgaardian soldier. Of course those decisions will not bite me in the rear end at all.

Not sure if you ever find out what happens in the last one actually.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Broose posted:

I always got the impression that he killed everyone, soldiers and peasants. Accidentally of course cause he is a good soldiermans.

Yea I assumed that was why they all lay down when he tried to help :allears:

Best song.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

Arglebargle III posted:

Originally he showed up on Velen searching for a cure to a plague ravaging the south, including Mahakam. Geralt has to team up with Iorveth, and Roche, Ves, and Thaler for very complicated reasons to try and get this cure. The whole plague plotline mostly got cut, though there's some elements of it drifting around in places, like the guy with the corpse wagon who claims he's immune. The quest where you have to get Ves out of the fight with the Nilfgaardians was also part of this plotline, though in a substantially different form (I think the cuts and rewrites really hurt her character, sadly. )

In the version of her quest that I liked best, she's pissed off because the village of Poppystone helped the Partisans escape Velen, but the Nilfs found out about it and are going to execute some people. Ves asks Geralt to help her liberate them behind Roche's back. Ves and Geralt go, save some folks and kill some Nilfgaardians, they have a really nice scene together where they talk about constellations and elven mythology, then go back to the camp and Roche throws a hissyfit because he's secretly got a deal with the Nilfgaardians.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Noonwraith concotion is kinda amazing. Started to explore a new area - a few random encounters and my health jumped from 4000 to 5000. Does it have an upper limit? Does your health drain after a while?

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Spoilers requested - if I kill the tree thing, will I get to kill the Crones later?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Xander77 posted:

Noonwraith concotion is kinda amazing. Started to explore a new area - a few random encounters and my health jumped from 4000 to 5000. Does it have an upper limit? Does your health drain after a while?

nightwraith? i dont think so, but have fun beating the game without ever fast-travelling for a few hundred vitality

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Xander77 posted:

Spoilers requested - if I kill the tree thing, will I get to kill the Crones later?

There is no direct correlation between those events, you'll get a chance at the crones much later on regardless of your actions here

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Xander77 posted:

You will encounter the crones again as part of the main quest. There is only one possible outcome: Ciri kills two of them while the third gets away with Vesemir's medallion.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Verviticus posted:

nightwraith? i dont think so, but have fun beating the game without ever fast-travelling for a few hundred vitality
At the moment it's 3000 vitality. All gotten while I was exploring a new area, just going through quests and points of interest. I think the decoction will wear out just when I'm done and have a need to fast travel.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Originally he showed up on Velen searching for a cure to a plague ravaging the south, including Mahakam. Geralt has to team up with Iorveth, and Roche, Ves, and Thaler for very complicated reasons to try and get this cure. The whole plague plotline mostly got cut, though there's some elements of it drifting around in places, like the guy with the corpse wagon who claims he's immune. The quest where you have to get Ves out of the fight with the Nilfgaardians was also part of this plotline, though in a substantially different form (I think the cuts and rewrites really hurt her character, sadly. )

In the version of her quest that I liked best, she's pissed off because the village of Poppystone helped the Partisans escape Velen, but the Nilfs found out about it and are going to execute some people. Ves asks Geralt to help her liberate them behind Roche's back. Ves and Geralt go, save some folks and kill some Nilfgaardians, they have a really nice scene together where they talk about constellations and elven mythology, then go back to the camp and Roche throws a hissyfit because he's secretly got a deal with the Nilfgaardians.

I'm really sad that this got cut. That sounds great and lays more groundwork for the Reason Of State resolution too - which, as it stands, comes out of nowhere a bit. Man. Uh... any chance of an Enhanced Edition next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
PC performance question:

I played through the game when it came out last year and it ran flawlessly. Graphics were set to high and it was super smooth and looked great. Uninstalled it when done. Now both DLC expansions are out I wanted to play through it again with them. Running the same system as last year but the graphics are shocking. Notice boards are also tinted with a weird navy colour and blotchy. Some people's hair is a bit weird. But most things are still ok.

So I'm wondering what the issue could be or how I could diagnose it? I have tried lowering the settings all the way down to low and it hasn't made any difference with those things. Not sure if it's some particular setting that needs tweaking.

The system I'm running isn't great: GPU: GeForce GTX 560 RAM: 1gb CPU: i7 -3770 @ 3.40GHz, 3401Mhz 4core

But its been doing the job. As I say, ran it perfectly last year. Been playing GTAV, Fallout 3, Doom etc and they've all run like a charm on decent settings. My drivers are all up to date. Actually I updated them just before to see if changing to a new driver made a difference but it didn't.

Any ideas what I could do to fix it?

e: of course after posting this and searching online for ages I find a fix immediately after, and it was super simple - verify the game files. Did that and worked like a charm.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 29, 2016