Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I wonder if the point of scanner rooms is that you set them up with a solar panel, a hatch, and maybe a foundation somewhere, use them to search that area, then remove the upgrades, deconstruct the room, and set them up somewhere else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
I can see them being useful in an environment where it is unsafe to dawdle and you only ever want to be exposed in order to beeline directly for the stuff you need and gtfo. It really needs to be able to scan for more stuff though.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
To be honest I don't really get the fear people have in this game. I've never really been scared to get out of my seamoth and do things. I've only seen one reaper in my current playthrough and the stalkers and sand sharks aren't all that scary. I swim around and then one bites me so I beeline for my seamoth. Then I move away and move back if I still needed something there.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Do animals and resources come back? Will I have to worry about running out of airsacks and edible fish?

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Do animals and resources come back? Will I have to worry about running out of airsacks and edible fish?

I think they are supposed to, but I'm quickly becoming :tinfoil: that if you build anything ever, even if you dismantle it, it fucks with resource and harmless fish spawns for that spot.

I went from always being able to grab a peeper or airbag seconds from leaving my lifepod, and seemingly renewable supply of limestone, quarts, and salt, to basically gently caress all in a large area as soon as I started experimenting with foundations.

Off where I set up my newbie base, there were plenty of fish, and I never went around grabbing them because I didn't need to. But there has been gently caress all around my base, ever since I built the first few rooms. Except for the rare stray boomerang confused and clipping through my walls.

EDIT: For example, the kelp forest not to far from my base (where lifepod 19 is) these days now has nothing but the occasional stalker, shuttlebug, and very rare lone hoopfish and hoverfish. (well, and sometimes those purely decorative schools of fish). I think I've probably grabbed five fish from there tops in all this time.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Jun 29, 2016

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The first time I encountered a reaper was underneath the front of the Aurora. I was coming into explore, having finally made a wetsuit. I didn't even have a seamoth yet, just paddling around. I hear that sound, and start looking around for what's causing it. Far below, I see something long and thin swimming through the darkness.

So I pull out my scanner. After all, this is clearly a new fish, and I have not scanned this fish yet, so there's only one obvious course of action! About halfway there, it turns towards and starts moving - quick. I begin to rethink my choices, and swim backwards, swimming back through some wrecked metal. The reaper gets caught and starts spazzing out, so of course I think to myself "Ha, it's trapped, now I can scan it!"

Turns out you can't scan reapers though. Disappointment. So I went and explored the Aurora and dodged crabs and escaped out the side hole. Fun trip.

Still not really scared of reapers, and I've swum around them plenty without ever getting attacked. I do try to be cautious, though.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

My first encounter with a Reaper was cruising around in my new, unupgraded Seamoth along the port side of the Aurora, trying to find a way in or at least some wrecks to scavenger. Entering an area where its less shallow and murkier I suddenly hear a BIG roar. I immediately 180 my Seamoth and gun back the way I came, but about a second later I'm spun around and I let out an actual yelp of surprise as the Reaper begins thrashing my sub around.

I try maneuvering, no good, I try flashing my headlights at it (yeah as if that'd scare it...) no good. I start watching the hull strength deplete and the sparks and poo poo in the cockpit and begin debating on whether or not I should bail out and just as the hull strength reaches about 25% and I'm about to hit the eject button it suddenly just lets me go and swims away. I, of course, immediately run the gently caress away, not stopping till I hit the safe shallows where I jump out and repair my sub.

Speaking of close encounters, Mesmers are apparently going to be reworked soon and are gonna be a lot creepier.

With regards to the Seamoth, how do people feel about the Torpedo launcher? It doesn't seem that useful, but maybe I just suck at hitting targets with the Vortex Torpedoes.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Fish don't respawn very fast and they tend to die a lot when you're in the area. They die from you bumping them too hard, or bigger animal kills them or some other random reason. If you say in one area for a while, the smaller fish there will end up dead. You can always breed some in aquariums and release them into the wild.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Section Z posted:

Plus there are cool things like battery chargers and power cell chargers, which I can't imagine how people got by before they existed.

Liberal use of the charge fins and near-constant power cell manufacturing. drat kids don't know how good they have it these days! :corsair:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Are you afraid of me mother fuckers

that's right I hope you are ready to get diced

wait gently caress

gently caress

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

With regards to respawns, I had a hell of a time getting the fish to respawn when I had a base set up in the shallows, but once I moved north to a bit west of the Aurora where the underwater islands meet with the seaweed everything came back in the shallows. I go over there if I ever need quartz/food. It takes maybe 10 seconds with the sea moth. So if you find that you're tapping out resources just set something up, even if it's temporary, in another biome or area and everything will start coming back. I can routinely hit up the shallows every few days for a full inventory of quartz when I need it.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Can you murder unfriendly fish or do you need to flee from the big/dangerous ones ? I'm kinda burned from early access games, how far from finished is this ?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

ZZZorcerer posted:

Can you murder unfriendly fish or do you need to flee from the big/dangerous ones ? I'm kinda burned from early access games, how far from finished is this ?

I think it depends on the fish. Stalkers I can usually dodge their attacks like I was bull fighting and then swipe as I pass. The rest I just avoid. It's early access, but compared to something like ARK it's wayyyyy more polished for where it is in it's design stages. There are a few places that it's lacking but there's nothing game breaking that detracts from the gameplay. As long as you aren't concerned with beating a final boss and finishing the game you'll have a lot of fun.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I didn't realize this had its own thread. I know this is a small complaint but is there any way to disable the dev build text in the upper right?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

ZZZorcerer posted:

Most things are finished except the late/end game, which includes the actualy story part of the game.

Here's the roadmap if you want to see what they still intend to implement:
https://trello.com/b/KbugnSRJ/subnautica-roadmap

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

Fish don't respawn very fast and they tend to die a lot when you're in the area. They die from you bumping them too hard, or bigger animal kills them or some other random reason. If you say in one area for a while, the smaller fish there will end up dead. You can always breed some in aquariums and release them into the wild.

Die-off in the Safe Shallows or Kelp forest is mostly from Stalkers and Bleeders roaming around and eating stuff while you build.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
*Loads game, falls through Floater island into the ocean without a spare tank or seaglide*

"Well, I think I figured out what REALLY killed the previous occupants."

God knows how many other PDAs there are, I expect I've missed a ton of them. Noticed one just in the dirt on my way back towards my ship along the island, for starters.

Still, now I've finally got got those Growbeds and Observatory blueprints, and respective snack foods to put in them.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah these days I head for the island really early and go full vegan. Gonna ride this gravy train as long as I can.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It does seem kind of broken that you can just plant one fruit tree in your base or on the cyclops and that's your food (and most of your water) taken care of forever.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Cojawfee posted:

It does seem kind of broken that you can just plant one fruit tree in your base or on the cyclops and that's your food (and most of your water) taken care of forever.

I can't imagine it won't be heavily adjusted eventually. It's not really that hard to keep fish for the same purpose but holy poo poo plants are def gonna be the way to go until they change how that poo poo works.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I find the game a lot more fun in Survival mode and without wikis.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Is there any way to get your seamoth to survive below 300m? I put a second depth extended in there after finding it in the Aurora but it didn't seem to do anything.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Modification Station can upgrade the compensator to marks 2 and 3. Mk 3 has a max depth of 900.

PS don't take your Cyclops deeper than your seamoth's crush rating if it is docked. It'll take damage even though it is inside the Cyclops.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cojawfee posted:

Honky Dong Country posted:

I can't imagine it won't be heavily adjusted eventually. It's not really that hard to keep fish for the same purpose but holy poo poo plants are def gonna be the way to go until they change how that poo poo works.
I think it's fine.

Even considering my preferences for less ballbusting rather than more, it doesn't change the fact fruit is useless as travel food.

Mostly just cuts down on fiddling around when you are sticking by your base and cyclops anyways.

Also fruit is loving huge, on top of giving you less food/water per cooked fish and squeezed fish anyways :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

PS don't take your Cyclops deeper than your seamoth's crush rating if it is docked. It'll take damage even though it is inside the Cyclops.

Yeesh, thanks for the heads up on that front.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Already getting kind of lost in terms of what to do, but I'm having fun, even if I know my careful, timid attitude isn't going to help me much longer.

I've already built:
Knife
Basic Fins
Stillsuit
Rebreather
Seaglide
O2 tanks
Multiple floating lockers for all the poo poo I keep picking up

And now I'm trying to work up the courage to explore the nearby Kelp Forest a bit better, in hopes of getting some blueprints for a sub I keep hearing about. I'd also like to find this island that gets mentioned once in a while, it sounds cool. It also sounds like a good place for infinite storage lockers.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

StrangeAeon posted:

Multiple floating lockers for all the poo poo I keep picking up

Ouch. I regret my time doing that myself.

Before anything else, make a builder device. Just throw down a single room or even just a single straight corridor, near your Lifepod. Just so you can put proper storage lockers in it. Worry about a proper base when you want to make a base, but more convenient storage will really help matters.

Also, make a radiation suit. Stillsuit is great, but you're going to need that Radition suit more.

From there, start exploring farther out, so you can find cooler blueprints. Floater island does have some cool blueprints along with the food plants, on that note. But it's quite a ways out, and fruit is large. So I'd prioritize being able to build a Seamoth (Little baby submarine), and battery/power cell chargers. Unless you feel up to running through a big pile of seaglide batteries and travel food/water hoofing it to the island and back :v:

I'm sure others have better luck, but I'm hesitant to ever build anything on floater island. Due to the fact loading my save file there just clips me through the place and dunks me in the ocean.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 29, 2016

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Good advice! I started building a base not far from the lifepod... underneath it, more or less. And it was going well, until I ran into a tiny problem.

See, by equipping the Builder? I suddenly can't UNequip it. And putting it in storage or dropping it doesn't let me equip anything else from my hotbar, either.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Section Z posted:

Before anything else, make a builder device. Just throw down a single room or even just a single straight corridor, near your Lifepod. Just so you can put proper storage lockers in it. Worry about a proper base when you want to make a base, but more convenient storage will really help matters.

also an alien containment aquarium with a hatch; put 2 airsacks in there and it'll greatly mitigate your food/water needs as they breed

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Just don't mix Hoverfish with anything; they breed like crazy and you'll just have an endless supply of them and celibate pairs of whatever else you put in the tank, if my experience is any guide.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

DopeGhoti posted:

Just don't mix Hoverfish with anything; they breed like crazy and you'll just have an endless supply of them and celibate pairs of whatever else you put in the tank, if my experience is any guide.

I am a big fan of fish segregation after loading a save file found myself with a tank full of nothing but Reginalds, instead of 1/3 reginald 2/3 Airbags.

I am also now a big fan of filling a wall locker with spare live fish. In case I need to repopulat the tank if the game again decides to cause a mass extinction event when I load my save file.

"Grab some fish, top off my food water, save. Everything is fine"
*Later*
"Load my game... oh, half my Reggie tank is dead, and my Airsack tank has 17 dead ones, 2 live ones..."

Game is mostly stable, but when it decides to glitch out, it loves to make it clear for me things have gone wrong.

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
One time a Reaper got so close to catching me, I could see its mouth-tentacles in my peripheral vision. :stonk: Yet, for all their pants-making GBS threads danger, in the end Reapers are just big monsters.

Crabsquids, on the other hand, should not exist. They disturb me just by being alive.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mechanical Ape posted:

One time a Reaper got so close to catching me, I could see its mouth-tentacles in my peripheral vision. :stonk: Yet, for all their pants-making GBS threads danger, in the end Reapers are just big monsters.

Crabsquids, on the other hand, should not exist. They disturb me just by being alive.

I've had the good fortune to not run into them yet because I'm slow as hell with my explorations. I'm just going to be thinking "Mars Attacks" to try and take the edge off

If the "future plans" listing on the wiki ever comes true, they could also end up legit more threatening than Reapers are right now.

Crabsquids with a side of EMP :unsmigghh:

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So how do I make a water purification machine, do I need a blueprint from somewhere?

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

I didn't realize this had its own thread. I know this is a small complaint but is there any way to disable the dev build text in the upper right?

I guess this doesn't bug anyone else. I found a language file you can edit to remove the EA text and you can remove the version number, but unfortunately the code that deals with the date is set to do " : 'MMM-YYYY'" if the date is gone so you don't gain much by removing that. Oh well.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

double nine posted:

So how do I make a water purification machine, do I need a blueprint from somewhere?

Yup. They're power hungry as hell though. I actually only use mine for the occasional bit of salt, but I've also usually got four different power sources and a huge capacity.

And even the salt is only used until I've got the cyclops. Once I have that I keep plants on board and always have the cyclops nearby as a mobile base. If I'm very deep in (like caves) I build an outpost for recharging/food purposes.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jun 29, 2016

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

So if not a water purification thingie, what's the best way to get an endless supply of potable water?

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.

double nine posted:

So if not a water purification thingie, what's the best way to get an endless supply of potable water?

Breed Airsacks?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Well, besides making water itself, the water purifier also makes salt, which you can use (combined with some coral) to make bleach, which can also be used to make water, so you can get more water from that than just what it produces directly. Or you can just collect a bunch of salt, carve up some coral whenever you need it, and make bleach that way.

Otherwise, yeah, breed airsacks I suppose.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Honky Dong Country posted:

Yup. They're power hungry as hell though.

4 solar panels will run a purifier indefinitely. Build 5 so your fabricator doesn't die if you fab a lot at night and you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

double nine posted:

A) Stillsuit

B) Fruit tree