Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yes, I know CD already has one of these threads, but I decided something more TV-focused and that covered the various different streaming services. I also like the idea of this thread as a place to stay current on what's available each month. I'll try to keep this thread more-or-less updated month to month.

Notable Original Programming: House of Cards, Marvel Shows, Orange is the New Black, Bloodline, Sense8, Narcos, Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, BoJack Horseman

New Programming:
Voltron: Legendary Defender, Orange is the New Black Season 4

Upcoming Programming: Marco Polo Season 2, Stranger Things, The Get Down, Luke Cage

Other Good Stuff: Breaking Bad, 30 Rock, Parks and Rec, too much to count

King poo poo of gently caress Mountain. They know exactly what they're doing and they're not telling you poo poo about it. Content to program in every direction to capture the widest possible audience. This is where you're probably going if you want to bingewatch, be it three seasons of The X-Files or 50 episodes of some lovely anime. This is how you watched Breaking Bad.

Notable Original Programming:
11/22/63, Casual, The Path, not much else

Other Good Stuff: UnREAL, Battlestar Galactica, most shows on network television

This is probably where you watch your TV online if you're trying to stay caught up. Their rights to next-day streaming of CW shows are going to expire in October, which is a huge blow to them. They serve ads with their shows unless you pay, and lock device playback behind the same paywall. NO MORE FREE STREAMING, THE END IS NIGH. Not really, they're just teaming up with Yahoo who will serve the ad-supported shows for them 8 days after air but it's still pretty hosed up. Of the “Big Three,” puts the least focus on original content. You can upgrade your subscription to add Showtime streaming to your plan if you so choose.

Notable Original Programming: Transparent, Bosch, The Man in the High Castle, Mozart in the Jungle, Catastrophe

Other Good Stuff:
Veronica Mars, Hannibal, The Americans, Six Feet Under, The Wire, Doctor Who

Notably the most expensive upfront of all options at the cool price of $100 for a yearly subscription, but hey, you also get free two-day shipping on all the other useless crap you're going to spend your money on, so why not? Amazon now offers a separate $10-a-month subscription for Amazon Video. Does their streaming in a more traditional format of “seasons,” with the rather neat concept of putting all the pilots up for free and letting their audience vote on what makes the cut. The least popular of the “Big Three,” but their non-original content includes some of the best shows ever made. Like Hulu, has add-on packages to stream Starz or Showtime shows.

Notable Original Programming: Uhhhhhhhh.... Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee?

Why the hell are you using Crackle? Their selection is so small there's literally an option to alphabetize it. I mean, it's great if you really, really want to watch Final Fantasy: Spirits Within or Undercover Brother, I guess. I don't even know why I bothered listing thi-Oh hey, they have rotating seasons of The Shield! In fact, a lot of their good shows are on rotating schedules, which is really annoying. I'm fairly certain this service is some sort of tax scam for Sony.

Ahahahahahahahahahaha

Notable Original Programming: Star Trek, Star Trek, and Star Trek

Other Good Stuff: The two or three CBS shows currently airing that are worth watching

This is the service you'll be stealing from when you pirate the new Star Trek series. Don't feel bad, though, if this is anything like it was last time I tried to use it, it's so underbaked and terrible that it's honestly not worth the effort.

This, on the other hand, is the service you're stealing from when you pirate Game of Thrones. I've never used this service, and while they do have non-HBO shows, a lot of the best of it, like The Wire and Six Feet Under, is also available on Amazon. They let you watch an episode of a show as soon as it starts airing, which is pretty cool. Less cool is how swamped it tends to get when new episodes of GoT go up.

This thread is very much a work in progress and I hope to update it more as time passes. Most of the recommendations are just shows I looked at while flipping through the various services, so don't be afraid to suggest more.

Arist fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Aug 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Reserving this post for recommendations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I will also state that CBS All Access is a terrible service. For a while I was using it on my FireTV stick and it would just break and completely lose track of where I was in the show. The phone app pushed to a Chromecast is a little better but the whole thing is terribly clunky and you get way too many ads for a subscription service that you're paying a monthly fee for. Nothing will bring me greater pleasure tomorrow than cancelling it directly after watching the Person of Interest finale.

Edit: Also the Amazon info is a little out of date as they spun it into it's own subscription for something like $10 a month.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

muscles like this? posted:

Edit: Also the Amazon info is a little out of date as they spun it into it's own subscription for something like $10 a month.

Good to know, thanks!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

HBO Now is actually a pretty good service (when it isn't being overwhelmed) as for $15 a month you get new shows literally as they air. Unlike everyone else HBO will make the episode available as soon as it starts airing on the East Coast.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Updated the OP with HBO Go.

Also we know what's leaving Netflix and Hulu at the end of the month, not much of import specifically related to TV. The next big thing coming to Netflix, at least, is Stranger Things on the 15th.

e: Hulu's getting the last season of Mythbusters. In related news, I just learned Hulu has the first three seasons of Elementary and about to get the fourth, so maybe I'll actually get to watch that show.

Arist fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jun 22, 2016

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Amazon Prime also has add-on subscriptions to watch stuff like Showtime or Starz

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

More details here about the end of in-season streaming of CW shows on Hulu: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netflix-cw-output-deal-the-flash-hulu-1201799176/

Long story short, Hulu wanted to be able to stream more than the last five episodes at a time, and so the CW decided to go to Netflix instead in a deal that hasn't been finalized yet. While this is a shame, it does mean Netflix will gain the ability to stream CW shows much more quickly after a season ends. This will make it much harder to catch up on those shows, however, so I consider it a net loss.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Hulu getting Battlestar Galactica is weird but I didn't notice it in the two years since that deal happened so I guess it doesn't really affect my viewing habits.

Casual is probably the only reason to get Hulu outright though, it's basically a sister show to You're The Worst. 11/22/63 is short and has a good intro/ending but dives in quality in the middle.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Canceled my CBS All Access account and they sure don't let you do that easily. First you have to find the cancellation button which is in a non obvious place, as soon as you click it they offer you a free month instead, then you have to tell them two more times that yes, you want to cancel. There was a customer feedback thing at the very end and I stated that the main reason I was cancelling was because they got rid of Person of Interest and Limitless.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was thinking about using the All Access trial to watch Limitless but if the overall experience is really as bad as you've described it sounds like a better option would be to just buy the episodes on iTunes or something.

I've also been watching UnREAL on Hulu, which is a good show so far that may be completely unwatchable for me due to how often I have to pause the episode and take a walk from how profoundly uncomfortable it makes me.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 22, 2016

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You'd probably be better off just buying it on some other service. The back catalog they have available on CBS All Access is pretty much all stuff that's available elsewhere.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

More details here about the end of in-season streaming of CW shows on Hulu: http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/netflix-cw-output-deal-the-flash-hulu-1201799176/

Long story short, Hulu wanted to be able to stream more than the last five episodes at a time, and so the CW decided to go to Netflix instead in a deal that hasn't been finalized yet. While this is a shame, it does mean Netflix will gain the ability to stream CW shows much more quickly after a season ends. This will make it much harder to catch up on those shows, however, so I consider it a net loss.

I'm not sure how the Netflix deal is going to affect things but CW Seed usually has the latest 5 episodes of the shows up pretty quickly after they air.

edit: Now that I'm looking again it looks like it has changed pretty substantially, probably not worth mentioning unless you're looking to watch some failed or old WB shows

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 24, 2016

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Crackle is home to News Radio (2 season at a time, rotating semi-annually), The Shield (2 seasons at a time, rotates every two months), and seinfeld (if you don't have hulu it's 4-10 episodes per month updating on Mondays). For a long time, they had the full Larry Sanders Show. Like, all of it. For years. It was great. Ask me more about Crackle, I'm like their historian.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Why in the world would they do that rotating seasons stuff in a world where binge watching is becoming the norm?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

Why in the world would they do that rotating seasons stuff in a world where binge watching is becoming the norm?

Because they're owned by Sony Pictures and what those properties bring in over Crackle surely pales to their syndication profits. Especially Seinfeld. Even Newsradio, as Crackle is so poorly monetized that I don't think it's ever intended to pull a profit.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I am perpetually lost as to what the actual purpose of Crackle is supposed to be.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

For Canadians, one of the two main ISP/Cable providers, Rogers, has a streaming service called Shomi. It's got some pretty decent content, mostly TV stuff that isn't available on Netflix, but its interface is absolute BOOTY. If you can actually find what you're looking for (especially in its cluttered and counterintuitive movie section)

Really, it seems purpose-built for eating Netflix's lunch, but with that interface they have a long way to go. I mostly use it for Unreal and Empire because gently caress trying to find anything on there that isn't on the front page. This week they're pushing Married With Children really hard for some reason.

The other big ISP/Cable company, Bell, has a service called CraveTV as well, but I have no experience with that.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Speaking of bad interfaces, pretty much anywhere for Amazon Video is bad. Things just seem served up to you randomly and their tendency to break shows into separate listings by season only makes matters worse. Also a pet peeve for Hulu is that if you're looking through anything other than A-Z you get a lot of duplicates.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, my least favorite thing about Amazon is their tendency to serve up seasons separately and not just sorted by show. It's a really minor thing but it's pretty annoying having to re-search every time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It kind of makes sense seeing as they sell stuff by seasons but really they need to completely separate their Prime stuff from the ala carte buying system.

So as not to just complain all the time, Gravity Falls got added to Hulu and I've started watching that. What a delightful show.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

MrAristocrates posted:

I am perpetually lost as to what the actual purpose of Crackle is supposed to be.

Every so often Sony will pump some original content into it, like the Joe Dirt sequel no one wanted, presumably with the hope that something will catch on big and make the service easier to monetize. The big studios don't want to let go of the notion that they should be able to make money hand over fist with their own services instead of selling rights to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

To be fair, Crackle's existence still makes more sense than Yahoo! Screen's.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oh you know what the best thing about Shomi is? They'll tell you there's, say, three seasons of a show available. But one 'season' is 'Season Zero' where it's just a loving trailer for the show. It's like this thing was designed by people who only heard about Netflix but never actually used it.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

hcreight posted:

Every so often Sony will pump some original content into it, like the Joe Dirt sequel no one wanted, presumably with the hope that something will catch on big and make the service easier to monetize. The big studios don't want to let go of the notion that they should be able to make money hand over fist with their own services instead of selling rights to Netflix/Hulu/Amazon.

I think they both came from a mentality of "is there a way we can have what they have without all the money and effort?"

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

hcreight posted:

Joe Dirt 2, The Throwaways, Ch:os:en, Cleaners, SuperMansion, Sports Jeopardy, and The Art of War!? This is the golden age of tv you're passing up here.

Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee is really good. The rest of the original series are weak, unless you ever wanted to see Diedrich Bader as an assassin in a psychological thriller (you didn't and don't).

The other thing is, there is plenty of Crackle content that is also on other platforms (Hulu still has all of Seinfeld, right?), so it's not even really an exclusivity play (outside the original content). It's just there, and it plays things I like so I keep using it.

Oh, for a while it was also hooked to m points, which is a wholly different thing except that it's exactly the same. That was/is a system for mobile app rewards akin to bing rewards; get 50 for playing a movie, get 30 for a tv episode. Mpoints were even in the dictionary.com app, with rewards for looking up antonyms and looking at the word of the day.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Speaking of bad interfaces, pretty much anywhere for Amazon Video is bad. Things just seem served up to you randomly and their tendency to break shows into separate listings by season only makes matters worse. Also a pet peeve for Hulu is that if you're looking through anything other than A-Z you get a lot of duplicates.

This is one question I wanted to ask. How the gently caress do I navigate Amazon video. I have the hardest time finding stuff because it just organizes stuff weird and it mixes in pay stuff in with the free poo poo.

Also, a related question for Hulu. How can I just browse all the poo poo in a given category. Like, I just want a list of ALL the Criterion movies they have. I don't want just the latest or most popular. I want to see them all.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme

MrAristocrates posted:

Welp, looks like my Hulu subscription's days are numbered...

So as not to just complain all the time, Gravity Falls got added to Hulu and I've started watching that. What a delightful show.

...never mind. :shobon:

nth'ing about wtf Crackle is supposed to be. The one time I've used it was when I tried streaming Heavy Metal over my XBone, and the sound was several seconds out of sync. And now they want people to pay for a subscription?!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Didn't some Time Warner suit say they were considering holding on to streaming rights to drive cable subs and specifically mention the DC superhero shows as leverage? Sounds like they're gonna go 100% the other way.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
There's gotta be numbers somewhere that holding streaming rights just increases piracy instead of cable subs. The only cable subscribers I know anymore are old or major sports fans and ESPN and Fox Sports doesn't cover everything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I signed up for a free month of Hulu to try it out but I just don't like the app. It constantly freezes when I'm chrome casting and I don't find the sorting features terribly good. I'm nitpicking because I'm just not using it much so it doesn't feel worth paying for it. But it doesn't seem to be as good an app as Netflix. Although still better than Amazon.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

Jose Oquendo posted:

This is one question I wanted to ask. How the gently caress do I navigate Amazon video. I have the hardest time finding stuff because it just organizes stuff weird and it mixes in pay stuff in with the free poo poo.

Also, a related question for Hulu. How can I just browse all the poo poo in a given category. Like, I just want a list of ALL the Criterion movies they have. I don't want just the latest or most popular. I want to see them all.

What's weird with Hulu is that the interface I get on my XBox 360 actually shows me more than going on their website. I have no idea why they would make the website harder to navigate.

Amazon, you basically do have to go to the website and look up Prime movies and scroll through lists. InstantWatcher technically covers them but they include all these little Youtube-like shorts they have now for some reason so it's a pain to sift through.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I wish Hulu had a better way of looking at some of their subgenres. Like I've been getting into old martial arts movies and they have quite a few of them but there isn't a good way to see them all.

For a couple of months I've been using Sony's OTHER streaming service, PS Vue. I've found it actually works out rather well when paired with other services and ended up running cheaper than I was paying for cable. Basically depending on how much you want to pay you can get pretty much every basic cable channel that you'd actually want. The only real downside is that unless you live in a big city you don't get access to networks live (otherwise you get VOD) and they don't have anything for CBS or the CW. Right now I use it through a Fire stick, which is kind of sluggish but works and supposedly this week they're supposed to add Android support.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Welp, looks like my Hulu subscription's days are numbered...

...never mind. :shobon:

nth'ing about wtf Crackle is supposed to be. The one time I've used it was when I tried streaming Heavy Metal over my XBone, and the sound was several seconds out of sync. And now they want people to pay for a subscription?!

No, there's no paid version of Crackle. Crackle is free and has been since 2011. I might know way too god damned much about Crackle, but I'm not crazy enough to pay that poo poo. I'd just catch Room 227 on MeTV instead.

Continuing the theme of knowing way too much about Crackle, the sound sync issues are real and platform-independent. Luckily, that means the solution is too--do the quickest thing you can do unload the stream and reload it. Examples of this are to load a different video, close the app, or navigate to a different page.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Kaizoku posted:

No, there's no paid version of Crackle. Crackle is free and has been since 2011. I might know way too god damned much about Crackle, but I'm not crazy enough to pay that poo poo. I'd just catch Room 227 on MeTV instead.

Continuing the theme of knowing way too much about Crackle, the sound sync issues are real and platform-independent. Luckily, that means the solution is too--do the quickest thing you can do unload the stream and reload it. Examples of this are to load a different video, close the app, or navigate to a different page.

Huh. I could have sworn I loaded it up on XBox Live a month ago and it wanted me to pay money for the privilege of streaming their tiny library. Due to not really giving a poo poo, I didn't look too closely at the text, so I may have misunderstood.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
So uh, Hulu has completely destroyed their queue system and it's much more difficult to binge watch a show now. I think Hulu beat CBS to the punch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Ludicrous Gibs! posted:

Huh. I could have sworn I loaded it up on XBox Live a month ago and it wanted me to pay money for the privilege of streaming their tiny library. Due to not really giving a poo poo, I didn't look too closely at the text, so I may have misunderstood.

It might just have wanted you to give them an email address?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
It should be noted Doctor Who is an Amazon Instant Video exclusive, last I checked.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

CaptainYesterday posted:

It should be noted Doctor Who is an Amazon Instant Video exclusive, last I checked.

I totally forgot it left Netflix.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer

CaptainYesterday posted:

And then only the new series. I've heard that BBC is planning a subscription based international version of its iPlayer service and that might be where a lot of its older shows end up since most of it isn't streaming now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

Ramrod XTreme

Gaz-L posted:

It might just have wanted you to give them an email address?

That was probably it. That providing an email address was a bridge too far for me speaks volumes for how valuable their free streaming service is. :v:

• Locked thread