Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
AMD didn't hype this at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Best part is, the only thing it really demonstrated was that shaders were broken for the 1080 at the time

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
The funny part is almost all the rumors with actual benchmarks suggested exactly these results. There was no surprise, good or bad here.

A 970 for $200 is what was sanely rumoured and that's what we got. Well, a hot loud 970 for $200. At least at those numbers you can pretty much guarantee the 8gb version will be completely pointless so you can save the money.

Shame about running so close to redline, yet again, at "only" 1300 mhz. That was my personal disappointment here. 1.5% overclock 10 degree jump in temp ? Lol.

They are going to sell by the truckloads.

3 hardcore AMD NDAs in a row. 3 lackluster showings. There's a pattern here ... I think... ;)

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Jun 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

A 970 for $200 is what was sanely rumoured and that's what we got. Well, a hot loud 970 for $200.
It's an AMD blower cooler, you choose between hot or loud

Only Fermi has achieved the zen status of both

V They didn't even show the part of the aluminum block with chicken scratches, the gently caress, photo takers?

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jun 29, 2016

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It's an AMD blower cooler, you choose between hot or loud

Only Fermi has achieved the zen status of both

Seems like it could use a heatpipe or a sanely-designed cooler.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
AMD should have learned from the past and called their efficiency and cost cutting product launch a 385 instead of a 480. Nobody was that cranky about the 285 being a sidegrade / slight downgrade from the venerable 7970 / 280.

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

Puddin posted:

MSY which is usually one of the cheaper places confirmed their price for the 8gb 480.

$440. About a $100 over what I wanted to spend. Oh well, I'll wait it out again.

They just went up on PC Case Gear, XFX 480 8GB's are going for $379, ASUS $449 and MSI $439 (why're they so much more expensive?).

The XFX 4GB is going for $319 which is in my budget but sort of worried about how loud the cooler might be or whether I need the extra 4GB :ohdear:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

franchise1 posted:

Got the 4GB 480 for £179.99 - really happy with that. It's less than half the price of a 1070 and will hopefully be a bit of a bump up from my 760.

Yeah, you're in the target market, it'll be a big boost.

A lot of the problem with the hype was probably people trying to believe a sidegrade would be an upgrade. It's positioned well so it's not a 960 launch, but it's a shame it's not a bit better.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Smiles posted:

They just went up on PC Case Gear, XFX 480 8GB's are going for $379, ASUS $449 and MSI $439 (why're they so much more expensive?).

The XFX 4GB is going for $319 which is in my budget but sort of worried about how loud the cooler might be or whether I need the extra 4GB :ohdear:

No you won't need 8gb.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

R/AMD has wrapped back around from anger to denial. The video is false and biased, need to wait for more benchmarks and newer drivers and etc

Reading that subreddit over the past while has been a bizarre ride.

BurritoJustice fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jun 29, 2016

Smiles
Oct 23, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

No you won't need 8gb.

Thank you Dog House youre a star

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Yeah, you're in the target market, it'll be a big boost.

A lot of the problem with the hype was probably people trying to believe a sidegrade would be an upgrade. It's positioned well so it's not a 960 launch, but it's a shame it's not a bit better.
I would have stayed with a 290, but coffee. :downs:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

BurritoJustice posted:

R/AMD has wrapped back around from anger to denial. The video is false and biased, need to wait for more benchmarks and newer drivers and etc

Reading that subeditor over the past while has been a bizarre ride.

Like a broken record now. 300 series, fury, and this. At least this card is actually god drat new and priced well.

AMD marketing sucks but they don't need it, they installed marketing in their customer base years ago.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Like a broken record now. 300 series, fury, and this. At least this card is actually god drat new and priced well.

AMD marketing sucks but they don't need it, they installed marketing in their customer base years ago.

source: r/AMD's spicy anger threads

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

NDA is up.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,1.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/

Remember all the people saying the 150W TDP is just a maximum, and it will pull more like 100W on average? TPU measured it at 163-167W during gaming :eng99:

It's basically tied with the 970 on perf-per-watt despite a double node advantage.

repiv fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 29, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
Reminder: this is the best card AMD has released since 2013

Edit: lol

penus penus penus fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jun 29, 2016

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Anandtech: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10446/the-amd-radeon-rx-480-preview/4

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Linus Video

Compares against a stock 970. Ties to loses except in hitman. So it get's slaughtered by the 970 if you spend 5 seconds in afterburner or buy an aftermarket model (which is every 970 that you buy outside of bestbuy)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

NDA is up.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,1.html
https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/

Remember all the people saying the 150W TDP is just a maximum, and it will pull more like 100W on average? TPU measured it at 163-167W during gaming :eng99:

It's basically tied with the 970 on perf-per-watt despite a double node advantage.
I can't wait to downvolt this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses 100% more power for the performance than it has to; Polaris was designed for efficiency first and making designs like that try to compete with the high end always gets really funny (try overclocking a 750ti to see what I mean)

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I can't wait to downvolt this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses 100% more power for the performance than it has to because Polaris was designed for efficiency first and making designs like that try to compete with the high end always gets really funny

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/22.html
AMD, why can't you figure out how to run more than one monitor without drawing 40 watts!

Idle
970 - 13W
480 8G - 15W

Multimonitor
970 - 14W
480 8G - 40W

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Naffer posted:

AMD, why can't you figure out how to run more than one monitor without drawing 40 watts!

Idle
970 - 13W
480 8G - 15W

Multimonitor
970 - 14W
480 8G - 40W
32 ROPs :eng99:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
I wonder what would happen if you die shrunk a 970

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Naffer posted:

Just realised it uses more power than the 1070 across the board :stare:

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Didn't the 460 launch today too? Where's that info?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

AMD did it. The GTX 970 was such a successful launch that AMD decided to just release their own 970. Power draw and performance and all. Now you can finally get a 970 in your choice of Green or Red!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

If Nvidia pulls another 960, we'll never find out

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

You get a 1060

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/

If/when their site recovers (502 errors everywhere), 480 CF reviews

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

One little detail I don't think we knew before: the 4GB cards use the old 7gbps GDDR5 chips, but the 8GB ones use the new 8gbps GDDR5 also seen on the 1070.

So there is a small benefit to going 8GB even if you don't need 8GB.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

repiv posted:

One little detail I don't think we knew before: the 4GB cards use the old 7gbps GDDR5, but the 8GB ones use the new 8gbps GDDR5 also seen on the 1070.

I was wondering why the 8GB versions were outperforming the 4GB at 1080p :cripes:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Naffer posted:

Seems like it could use a heatpipe or a sanely-designed cooler.

If I'm not mistaken, Nvidia cooler has no heatpipes either. This at least has a copper slug, soooooo?

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

Haquer posted:

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480_CrossFire/

If/when their site recovers (502 errors everywhere), 480 CF reviews

This is horrible. So their slide with 2 480s beating a 1080 is utter bullshit then.

In fact only at 4k does crossfire match a 1070, nvm a 1080.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

This is horrible. So their slide with 2 480s beating a 1080 is utter bullshit then.

It was 2 480s beating a 1080 in Ashes of the Singularity which uses DX12's Asynchronous Rendering, which is unlike any other pipeline currently used by video game developers.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

In 2/3 of the games where Crossfire works, it reaches within 10% under the 1080.

Kind of a lot of prerequisites but for $200 or $240 not a whole lot you can expect.

I'm not sure why Australia gets AMD cards so expensive though. Do they just refuse to ship there?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

SwissArmyDruid posted:

If I'm not mistaken, Nvidia cooler has no heatpipes either. This at least has a copper slug, soooooo?

The Nvidia 10x0 cards have a vapour chamber. Which is basically the best you can get from a blower, and more expensive to manufacture than even overbuilt aftermarket coolers. It's basically the opposite end of the scale from "aluminium block with copper slug".

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Nvidia's reference blowers do have vapor chambers that to my understanding do the same job as heatpipes do, help move heat so they can be dissipated by the fins. The AMD cooler looks to just be a chunk of metal that you'd find on like a Athlon XP CPU cooler.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Yep, the vapor chambers are good but they're pricy and tbh gently caress that if you're trying to cut price on a relatively low powered card.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I can't wait to downvolt this one. I wouldn't be surprised if it uses 100% more power for the performance than it has to; Polaris was designed for efficiency first and making designs like that try to compete with the high end always gets really funny (try overclocking a 750ti to see what I mean)

I'd be interested to see if the mobile parts are more efficient and it's just AMD hot clocking another chip because of course they would.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Beautiful Ninja posted:

Nvidia's reference blowers do have vapor chambers that to my understanding do the same job as heatpipes do, help move heat so they can be dissipated by the fins. The AMD cooler looks to just be a chunk of metal that you'd find on like a Athlon XP CPU cooler.
The 390 blowers by XFX also have these.

There's only like 50 of them though :v:

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

BurritoJustice posted:

The Nvidia 10x0 cards have a vapour chamber. Which is basically the best you can get from a blower, and more expensive to manufacture than even overbuilt aftermarket coolers. It's basically the opposite end of the scale from "aluminium block with copper slug".

I thought only the 1080 had a vapor chamber, and the 1070 uses heat pipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm curious to see this too. The mobile variants will probably be moderately slower and waaaaaay cooler and more efficient.