Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Review-Polaris-Promise

According to PCPer the 4GB 480 actually has 8GB worth of VRAM chips, and half of it is disabled in software. You may actually be able to download more VRAM with a VBIOS mod.

What a time to be alive.

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Jun 29, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

I'm not the one cheerleading a garbage company anymore. I mean buy your soon to be dead company products but lol if you think I am "melting down".
But you are, though

repiv posted:

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-Radeon-RX-480-Review-Polaris-Promise

According to PCPer the 4GB 480 actually has 8GB worth of VRAM chips, and half of it is disabled. You may actually be able to download more VRAM with a VBIOS mod.

What a time to be alive.
You might have to downclock to get that extra RAM to work though. It's likely to be a runt bunk special, Elpida and Hynix have done the same thing, particularly with the GTX 700 series IIRC.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 29, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

BurritoJustice posted:

R/AMD has wrapped back around from anger to denial.
I'm half convinced most of the people there are trolls just posting back n' forth at each other.

I like AMD, and my expectations were a bit optimistic here, but there was no way the RX480 was going to meet or beat a stock 1070 without insanely unrealistic overclocks.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I like AMD, and my expectations were a bit optimistic here, but there was no way the RX480 was going to meet or beat a stock 1070 without insanely unrealistic overclocks.
I'm not sure many people saw this coming other than the people who knew Polaris was entirely mobile chips, and almost nobody in this thread knows about those in general.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

But you are, though.

(I'm actually going for a 1060ti myself because the 1060 looks like a surefire disappointment)

You might have to downclock to get that extra RAM to work though. It's likely to be a runt bunk special, Elpida's done the same thing.

Nah, I'm celebrating because I was right. 1060 will easily be RX480 performance or better, while consuming much less wattage, there isn't a comparison. I doubt there will be a 1060ti, any further cuts to GP104 will totally land in laptops.

Personally I'm amazed AMD said they obtained any design wins for mobile, and since they basically lied through their teeth about RX480 performance (talking about the "RX480 CF beats 1080 in both efficiency and performance") there is definitely a reevaluation on the RX470 (likely 380X performance) and RX460 (likely 370 performance) as whether they're good buys as well. It's garbage all the way down.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

FaustianQ posted:

Nah, I'm celebrating because I was right. 1060 will easily be RX480 performance or better, while consuming much less wattage, there isn't a comparison. I doubt there will be a 1060ti, any further cuts to GP104 will totally land in laptops.

Personally I'm amazed AMD said they obtained any design wins for mobile, and since they basically lied through their teeth about RX480 performance (talking about the "RX480 CF beats 1080 in both efficiency and performance") there is definitely a reevaluation on the RX470 (likely 380X performance) and RX460 (likely 370 performance) as whether they're good buys as well. It's garbage all the way down.
If the 1060 really has 1536 cores, it'll definitely be a 760 successor and a Good Card. But dividing by 2 is easier, especially in terms of chip design. I love the 750ti, Nvidia can not be retarded about its low end sometimes, they just don't have to.

I think you need to stop reading r/amd without being high or with a constant love for schadenfreude. It's not good for you.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 29, 2016

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

FaustianQ posted:

I'm not the one cheerleading a garbage company anymore. I mean buy your soon to be dead company products but lol if you think I am "melting down".

For everyone else DO NOT BUY THE RX 480, THE GTX 1060 WILL RELEASE IN TWO WEEKS AND WILL BEAT IT. I strongly urge you to not buy AMD products.

"Release" in 2 weeks.

Which means we'll start seeing worthwhile quantities in what? 2 months?

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'm not sure many people saw this coming other than the people who knew Polaris was entirely mobile chips, and almost nobody in this thread knows about those in general.

Buuuut reality still sucks.

If polaris is supposed to be an indication of mobile chip performance, I have some bad news for AMD :downs:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xae posted:

"Release" in 2 weeks.

How else are they going to claim "fastest hardware ramp up" producing hundreds of chips a week

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

Buuuut reality still sucks.

If polaris is supposed to be an indication of mobile chip performance, I have some bad news for AMD :downs:
If you've tried overclocking GM107 or GM206, you can reach hilarious inefficiency targets. I think my record was pulling 140w out of the PCIe slot from EVGA's SC from a chip that was originally specced to run at 45w in a regular non-leaky bin, and you can get 250W out of a 960. And somehow GM206 failed at being a mobile chip at a 60w target (so they used more cores at lower clocks from GM204 instead), so that was garbage overall in particular.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 29, 2016

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Xae posted:

"Release" in 2 weeks.

I'll be honest I got a "rush rush rush get the 1060 release now!!" vibe so ... who knows.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is AMD brazen / desperate enough to slash prices to where the 480 makes sense against a competitive 1060? Are they gonna be $140 in 2 months?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

I'll be honest I got a "rush rush rush get the 1060 release now!!" vibe so ... who knows.

1070/1080 were about as close to a Paper Launch as you can get with out crossing the line.

I can't imagine the 1060 being rushed is going to be any better. If their fabs are already unable to keep up production with 1070s and 1080s they're going to completely poo poo the bed trying to keep up with 3 models.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I've been pretty skeptical of GCN overclocking a couple of times in thread. Yeah AMD improved it and its on a new process and all but its still GCN. Insane overclocking was never likely.

Twerk from Home posted:

Are they gonna be $140 in 2 months?
The $239/$199 price point is already so low they probably don't have much room to cut so I wouldn't expect that to happen. Maaaaybe you'll see the 8GB version go for $200 if they feel pressured by the 1060 but that depends a lot on how NV tries to price that card. If NV tries to price it at around $300 AMD will probably be fine and its unlikely you'll see prices move much. If they sell it for $250 I'd expect some minor price drops ($20 or so) but nothing big.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jun 29, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

I've been pretty skeptical of GCN overclocking a couple of times in thread. Yeah AMD improved it and its on a new process and all but its still GCN. Insane overclocking was never likely.
It does undervolt and underclock hilariously well, which makes you wonder what the hell it was designed for in the first place considering there were no mobile bins sold to OEMs. Surely it couldn't have all gone into the goddamn consoles....could it? :eng99:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
But hey guys, they are for sale today at the price they said they were going to be :D aren't you excited for your brand new hot, throttling AMD reference 970 for $199.99... or well I guess $239.99 since the 4gb ram is actually slower lol get hyped

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/

AMD Q&A is live. Zen and Vega are completely off limits so don't expect much :geno:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

If the 1060 really has 1536 cores, it'll definitely be a 760 successor and a Good Card. But dividing by 2 is easier, especially in terms of chip design. I love the 750ti, Nvidia can not be retarded about its low end sometimes, they just don't have to.

I think you need to stop reading r/amd without being high or with a constant love for schadenfreude. It's not good for you.

1060 has 1280 cores, it's a 2 GPC product, half a 1080. Since the 1070 is 50% of a 1060 and and roughly 50% faster than a RX480, and there seems to be diminishing returns on increasing CUDA cores (as the 1080 is 33.4% more CUDA cores yet is only some 20-25% faster), it'd indicate the 1060 is 55-60% the speed of a 1080 clock to clock. There also seems to be a near linear relationship between performance and power consumption with CUDA Cores, so I'd stake on 110-115W being the average pull. It should sit just above the RX480 in price though, but for a massive disparity in performance (definitely 980 to 980ti performance, probably pulls max 130W when overclocked), so I'd say 300$ FE, 200-250$ custom and AIB.

My diet can consist of whatever I want, I'm and adult and your not my real dad.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

But hey guys, they are for sale today at the price they said they were going to be :D aren't you excited for your brand new hot, throttling AMD reference 970 for $199.99... or well I guess $239.99 since the 4gb ram is actually slower lol get hyped
apocalyptically low yields vs chip overclocked really hot to meet an arbitrary target for an emerging market

I haven't seen a losing proposition like this since...oh, you can buy a used 980ti for $300. Well then.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

A true successor to Hawaii (even though it isn't at all and is from the start a lower end chip).

Well at least if the aftermarket coolers work their magic.

Also goddamn Faustian, I wish I had sources as reliable as yours, you should go into tech journalism if you've got such reliable info. Wait it's just extrapolation on a bar napkin taking only cores into account. Who knows, it might be that performance which would be pretty cool.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jun 29, 2016

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It does undervolt and underclock hilariously well, which makes you wonder what the hell it was designed for in the first place considering there were no mobile bins sold to OEMs. Surely it couldn't have all gone into the goddamn consoles....could it? :eng99:
Its a launch chip on a new process so they're probably dumping all the ho hum chips on the desktop market and saving the better bins for the notebook market to sell in volume in a month or 2. You probably won't see laptops from the OEM's using them until at least a few months after that though unless AMD did a lot of behind the scenes work we don't know about. I'm expecting them to pop up for sale late this year for the holidays in notebooks or early next FWIW.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

A true successor to Hawaii (even though it isn't at all and is from the start a lower end chip).

Well at least if the aftermarket coolers work their magic.
Fun fact, the day before I spilled coffee on my 290 I got its power differential from idle to load down to 155w with Furmark, running at the stock 947. I wish I actually got to play a game that way. :downs:

xthetenth posted:

Also goddamn Faustian, I wish I had sources as reliable as yours, you should go into tech journalism if you've got such reliable info.
WCCFTech is always hiring! I'd suggest HardOCP to him at this point if he doesn't mind not being paid and has to listen to Kyle screaming about his wasted purchase of a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

repiv posted:

According to PCPer the 4GB 480 actually has 8GB worth of VRAM chips, and half of it is disabled in software. You may actually be able to download more VRAM with a VBIOS mod.

What a time to be alive.

Only on review cards.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4qfy9d/i_work_at_amd_the_time_has_come_to_ama_about/d4smvmo

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Xae posted:

1070/1080 were about as close to a Paper Launch as you can get with out crossing the line.

I can't imagine the 1060 being rushed is going to be any better. If their fabs are already unable to keep up production with 1070s and 1080s they're going to completely poo poo the bed trying to keep up with 3 models.

There are probably a lot of defected GP104s lying around in NV inventory. Even if the 1060 was a massively harvested GP104 part with half of the entire chip disabled @ 2GHz it's still gonna be 970 level performance with much better perf/W than the 480.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Palladium posted:

There are probably a lot of defected GP104s lying around in NV inventory. Even if the 1060 was a massively harvested GP104 part with half of the entire chip disabled @ 2GHz it's still gonna be 970 level performance with much better perf/W than the 480.
I'd rather them use a harvested GP104, last time they did a x06 it couldn't even be used in laptops.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Judging by the benchmarks it seems they sacrificed raw horsepower and ROPs for better tesselation and Maxwell-case improvements. Cost reduction on the die was definitely a goal, but sucks for the people who want anything better than a 390 or 970 without shelling out 400 or more.

Actually, you can do that already, just buy a 980ti fire sale for $310 :tipshat:

There's already a green monopoly at the price point most of us care about (i.e. $toomuch). It's easy to forget that their target market is people on 660tis and 7850s looking for upgrades if you're reading this thread.

I have a 6850 and I'm looking for an upgrade, and the 480 still isn't an appealing offer... in a vaccum it's a great card for the cost, but that puts me right back into the "good enough for now but gonna suck for years until you can afford an upgrade" spot that the 6850 did. With the exception of people who are 100% budget locked for some reason, I don't see why anyone wouldn't just save up another $200 or so and get a 1070, or wait to see how the 1060 fills the $300ish slot.

Social Media posted:

Newegg just put up new stock of the aforementioned GTX 1070. I'm sure it will go quickly.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125871

Late to the party, but I got one of that batch! I bought it based on a recommendation in the PC build thread, someone said the cooler was great... but I see a lot of folks itt recommending the EVGA and MSI options. Is that just out of general brand loyalty, or did I make a mistake?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
rx480 beats 1080 confirmed

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I have a 6850 and I'm looking for an upgrade, and the 480 still isn't an appealing offer... sure it's a great card for the cost, but that puts me right back into the "good enough for now but gonna suck in a year or two" spot that the 6850 did. With the exception of people who are 100% budget locked for some reason, I don't see why anyone wouldn't just save up another $200 or so and get a 1070, or wait to see how the 1060 fills the $300 slot.
I'd wait for a 1070 when stock actually happens, so first week August at the earliest. Odds are slim that the 1060 will be worth its salt if it isn't just a further cut down GP104.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

I am curious of the 7gbps chips are actually the same as the ones clocked at 8gbps.

also

are you ready for this

edit: lmao wow you posted the same crop

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Linux performance review is up: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amdgpu-rx480-linux&num=1

tl;dr: 480 beats the 970 in Unigine, an engine that can be licenced for games but nobody actually uses, and the 970 beats the 480 in all the real video games.

The gap between AMD and NV on Linux is steadily closing but they're not quite there yet.

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer

SlayVus posted:

Which does make it in fact faster than a R9 380X, but doesn't necessarily make it faster than even a GTX 970. Because to really drive all the HMDs that are coming out, you need GP/s performance.

Edit 2: According to Tom's Hardware's SteamVR Test results with an R9 380X and a 4670k, you barely get a 4.6 from the benchmark.
I called it two weeks ago, GTX 970 performance. Though I didn't think it would get much higher than a 5 in the SteamVR benchmark.

Some people claimed it had architectural improvements so it would be faster. I don't know if they did any of that. The hype train was too good for this card.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I'd wait for a 1070 when stock actually happens, so first week August at the earliest. Odds are slim that the 1060 will be worth its salt if it isn't just a further cut down GP104.

Poorly phrased, I was speaking generally on behalf of that buyer bracket. I mention in the second half of that post that I actually got a 1070 yesterday. :toot:

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Poorly phrased, I was speaking generally on behalf of that buyer bracket. I mention in the second half of that post that I actually got a 1070 yesterday. :toot:
I hope you got it at 400 bucks or lower else you got had :clint:

400's a great price for a much faster card, I miss when Good Cards released at that price.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

$430. If you scroll up you'll see I linked it in-post, was asking for opinions on the model. I know I could have waited, but I've been dealing with a trashbag card for so long that at this point I'm willing to pay the $30 premium to enjoy it now rather than later. My 6850 sounds like it's literally going to explode when idling in town in WoW on low/medium graphics.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
390-level performance was my lower bound performance expectation so I am pretty disappointed with that. Not unexpected, just disappointed. 150W TDP though, is seriously :lol:

AMD is literally still fighting the battle of the 970, and the 1060 is going to steamroll them flat in a couple weeks here.

I don't think it's likely that it's a heavily-salvaged GP104, it's got a 3 GB / 6 GB memory configuration so it's probably a different bus width, which implies a different chip (barring some memory-controller shenanigans)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

$430. If you scroll up you'll see I linked it in-post, was asking for opinions on the model. I know I could have waited, but I've been dealing with a trashbag card for so long that at this point I'm willing to pay the $30 premium to enjoy it now rather than later.
Understandable, because there's a point where your card just feels too slow and you need a new goddamned card right now.

I got a GTX 275 at that time. That was a mistake.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I don't think it's likely that it's a heavily-salvaged GP104, it's got a 3 GB / 6 GB memory configuration so it's probably a different bus width, which implies a different chip (barring some memory-controller shenanigans)
They could be doing the 970 thing correctly and actually correctly cut off the non-working memory controller parts instead of use a donkey dick hybrid system where everything grinds to a halt after a certain point.

...I have more unrealistic expectations of Nvidia than AMD, what is wrong with me.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Jun 29, 2016

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

400's a great price for a much faster card, I miss when Good Cards released at that price.

Radeon 9800 Pro launched at $399 with 128MB of VRAM, ooh yeah.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

For everyone else DO NOT BUY THE RX 480, THE GTX 1060 WILL RELEASE IN TWO WEEKS AND WILL BEAT IT. I strongly urge you to not buy AMD products.

i'm not mad, in fact, it is you who is mad

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
This AMA is actually making me angry. The top comment dick sucking is out of control and I seriously dislike AMD Rob. Sometimes I forget how neutral we are here even if doesn't seem like it when we "argue"

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
AMD's marketing is based on DX12 gaming performance where it actually is faster than a GTX 980.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

$430. If you scroll up you'll see I linked it in-post, was asking for opinions on the model. I know I could have waited, but I've been dealing with a trashbag card for so long that at this point I'm willing to pay the $30 premium to enjoy it now rather than later. My 6850 sounds like it's literally going to explode when idling in town in WoW on low/medium graphics.

i just pulled the trigger on the same card but i am only paying the $30 premium because i am an adult child