Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I found the long bridge first because snaking back and forth like that is something I do to the cursor in frustration. :v: Conversely, I never considered making the back one turn horizontally.

E: We did it guys, page 2. Only like 8 updates from 3 recording sessions in. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

So that's what that feels like

AlphaKretin posted:

E: We did it guys, page 2. Only like 8 updates from 3 recording sessions in. :v:

So this is what being an LP superstar feels like...I'm speechless.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 9 - Pointless, But Pretty (19 Puzzles Solved)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I made the exact same mistake as Jesse w/r/t learning the wrong lesson from that one puzzle and only now have I realised the source of my confusion. :psyduck:

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 10 - Luigi Takes the Cake (04 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Edgy Pikmin
Luigi Takes A Whole Cake
Turnabout
What's Important?
A Bandit's Life, That Is

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
That audio log ended up ruining my interest in the prospect of going to space and being in space after Chris Hadfield's Ted Talk made me overwhelmingly excited and jealous of the fact that I might never get to go to space and have that experience for several months. So I guess this game really is art, because it elicited an emotional response in me.

frozentreasure fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 22, 2016

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I cannot understand the complaint that the space quote is too long.

Even beyond the various facts that it is a reading - a full reading - and therefore not suitable for abridging, that it is interesting, heartfelt, and directly relevant to context on multiple levels, that it is a good reading of a notable quote; how can its length be a problem? Are people incapable of continuing to play the game while it plays? Do people feel honour-bound to stand there, motionless, while it plays because that's what videogames - with their short, snappy soundbite-sized logs designed primarily to tell things to the player directly so as to avoid having to allude, evoke or worst of all show - have conditioned players to do?

Nobody made this complaint about Metal Gear Solid V, a game which actually did kinda sorta encourage you to listen to minutes-long audio tapes in a stationary environment (though admittedly you could do some serious menu work in that space).

What is the problem with a long speech?

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Fedule posted:

I cannot understand the complaint that the space quote is too long.

Even beyond the various facts that it is a reading - a full reading - and therefore not suitable for abridging, that it is interesting, heartfelt, and directly relevant to context on multiple levels, that it is a good reading of a notable quote; how can its length be a problem? Are people incapable of continuing to play the game while it plays? Do people feel honour-bound to stand there, motionless, while it plays because that's what videogames - with their short, snappy soundbite-sized logs designed primarily to tell things to the player directly so as to avoid having to allude, evoke or worst of all show - have conditioned players to do?

Nobody made this complaint about Metal Gear Solid V, a game which actually did kinda sorta encourage you to listen to minutes-long audio tapes in a stationary environment (though admittedly you could do some serious menu work in that space).

What is the problem with a long speech?

I actually like the speech to be honest, I think it's really good and cool to hear that perspective from something I will never experience. It just kinda blindsides you a bit as no other audio diary has been that long yet (at least in this playthrough), as well as the pauses in the reading sort of make it sound like it's ready to end a couple times.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Sorry for the delay folks, it wouldn't be an LP without technical problems. We're still working out some of the kinks but it's a slightly different recording process now. I think the quality is better with this method but it's a lot of "do the recording and see if everything worked" because it's kinda supposed to be a blind playthrough for them.

But anyways, here's the update!

Episode 11 - The Waiting Game (09 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles

Hey Kids, It's Me Mickey!
H..hey..kdsss it smee mOkey
The busy world of Richard Scarry

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The new style seems to work about as well, but I'm bad at opinions. You seemed to stumble at points, I'd just say go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

The new style seems to work about as well, but I'm bad at opinions. You seemed to stumble at points, I'd just say go with whatever you're more comfortable with.

For the next couple of videos we're sticking with this one, the biggest hurdle is clearing the screen when we need to since teamviewer doesn't give that option to the people viewing (unless someone knows otherwise!)

In the mean time!

Episode 12 - Invert Your Thinking (08 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Christ, Jesse

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I don't like how soon the game points you to the village like that. The game naturally leads you to the tutorial area, then the mirror puzzle area, and then the desert and sun temple - where the laser suddenly leads you to a central area with all these confusing new mechanics it's not immediately clear you should leave for later. Or is that meant to be the whole "Metroid with knowledge" thing?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

AlphaKretin posted:

I don't like how soon the game points you to the village like that. The game naturally leads you to the tutorial area, then the mirror puzzle area, and then the desert and sun temple - where the laser suddenly leads you to a central area with all these confusing new mechanics it's not immediately clear you should leave for later. Or is that meant to be the whole "Metroid with knowledge" thing?

Pretty much. One of the first things you see once out of the starting area is a door with a puzzle on it that has two mechanics you don't know about yet (the dots and the coloured squares). Barely a few steps past there is the tutorial for both of those things. The village is the same concept writ larger.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Either way, y'all should probably forget about the village for now so you can find the areas which will tell you how to solve their puzzles.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Either way, y'all should probably forget about the village for now so you can find the areas which will tell you how to solve their puzzles.

Probably should have taken this advice 20 minutes sooner than we did!

Episode 13 - Just Solve it (06 Puzzles Solved)

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 14 - Who Moved My Full Bucket of Cheese? (10 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Pregame Doodlin
Motivational Warrior

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Only just watching Episode 13 (been busy on holiday) but in the interest of making sure you don't have to triple post I'll say now that it's nice to see you seemingly join the others in blindness, not having to sit back and wait. Replies to the rest maybe forthcoming.

E: I got super distracted by the branching paths those tree shadow puzzles open up until I drifted away from playing the game myself, I'm interested to see how they evolve.

AlphaKretin fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jun 6, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Only just watching Episode 13 (been busy on holiday) but in the interest of making sure you don't have to triple post I'll say now that it's nice to see you seemingly join the others in blindness, not having to sit back and wait. Replies to the rest maybe forthcoming.

E: I got super distracted by the branching paths those tree shadow puzzles open up until I drifted away from playing the game myself, I'm interested to see how they evolve.

No worries haha, much appreciated! I've actually been enjoying playing along with the other two as well, there's a bit more of a lull in commentary but It's definitely been more fun, and that's what editing is for.

The tree shadows might be the favorite mechanic so far for the group, it's just reeeeeeal easy to get sidetracked.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 15 - This Is Halloween (04 Puzzles Solved)

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
The complaint that the branching (ahem) path in Shady Trees doesn't give any indication that it's inverting the rules is frankly absurd. If it's clear at a glance that it's completely impossible to solve with the style of solution you're familiar with then there is no other explanation than it using a different style of solution, that much is obvious without having to point out the colours of the lines or even the split in the path.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you guys at this point is not to overthink things. Regardless of how absurdly complicated the puzzles can get, the puzzle mechanics are extremely simple. If a puzzle, particularly one where the solution is external to the puzzle board, seems impossible, then you're probably approaching it wrong. To take those shadow puzzles for an example: If the start point is covered by a shadow, you should probably follow the shadows. If the start point isn't covered by a shadow, you should probably avoid the shadows. Remember that and it should save you guys a bunch of time and let you make more progress each video.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

LogicalFallacy posted:

One of the best pieces of advice I can give you guys at this point is not to overthink things. Regardless of how absurdly complicated the puzzles can get, the puzzle mechanics are extremely simple. If a puzzle, particularly one where the solution is external to the puzzle board, seems impossible, then you're probably approaching it wrong. To take those shadow puzzles for an example: If the start point is covered by a shadow, you should probably follow the shadows. If the start point isn't covered by a shadow, you should probably avoid the shadows. Remember that and it should save you guys a bunch of time and let you make more progress each video.

Yeah it's especially tough with one of us controlling the movement and the other two on a little mini delay, but that's definitely the mindset I try to go with!

Episode 16 - Déjà vu (28 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Pregame Scenery
Ducky
Vlad E. Gator

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I like the swamp area, but similar to the reflection area, it sort of overstays its welcome.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
That wasn't a good video. Just because you had already seen it and were in a rush to catch back up doesn't mean everyone else watching was in the same position. Burning through puzzles without letting the viewer actually take them in and recognise what was going on is exactly the same as someone poorly doing a non-blind LP. Also I think you guys misinterpreted the much simpler explanation behind the "Blow woke up in the middle of the night with this in mind" puzzle.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

frozentreasure posted:

That wasn't a good video. Just because you had already seen it and were in a rush to catch back up doesn't mean everyone else watching was in the same position. Burning through puzzles without letting the viewer actually take them in and recognise what was going on is exactly the same as someone poorly doing a non-blind LP. Also I think you guys misinterpreted the much simpler explanation behind the "Blow woke up in the middle of the night with this in mind" puzzle.

Yeah I get ya, just due to the nature of how we do this we kind of lost the "fresh" reactions and puzzle solving with the lost recording. That being said it's mostly all in this one.

Air is lava! posted:

I like the swamp area, but similar to the reflection area, it sort of overstays its welcome.

Agreed, I do like the shape puzzles but yeah they kinda keep going a bit.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 17 - Glass of Wine (10 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Setup Doodles

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Aw shucks. :3: I just don't like leaving LP updates without any replies from anyone, is all.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Aw shucks. :3: I just don't like leaving LP updates without any replies from anyone, is all.

It's appreciated! :)

Episode 18 - Shadow of a Doubt (14 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
Yoshi!
Skyworm Jeff

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

This is my favourite playthrough of The Witness.

The Taxman
Jan 2, 2007

greetings sweeties, let me give you a back massage. for i am a whiz!

You should definitely check out Katie's comment that was blatantly ignored at the end of the episode. Very insightful.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
I really do love your group dynamic. And despite bumbling around, doing doodles, Katie is quite good at puzzles.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Teledahn posted:

This is my favourite playthrough of The Witness.

Hey thanks!

The Taxman posted:

You should definitely check out Katie's comment that was blatantly ignored at the end of the episode. Very insightful.

Oh gosh, she was lurking the thread and told me something like "good going Joe" because of this.

Air is lava! posted:

I really do love your group dynamic. And despite bumbling around, doing doodles, Katie is quite good at puzzles.

This is the best, thank you! Earlier on when I had done most of the puzzles on my initial playthrough, I was surprised at how much faster she was catching on to the mechanics than I did.

homphgomph fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jun 21, 2016

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

Episode 19 - Hedge Funs (05 Puzzles Solved)

Katie had a lot of fun with this one.

Doodles
Pregame Portrait
Radical dude!
Talk to the Hand
Oh nooo! :swoon:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yeahhh if Katie stops to draw on every statue you see here you're never getting out. :v: Who knows, maybe there's another audio log around to give you the time for it.

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Yeahhh if Katie stops to draw on every statue you see here you're never getting out. :v: Who knows, maybe there's another audio log around to give you the time for it.

Or 2! Whoooo knoooows....

Episode 20 - Creeper (03 puzzles solved)

Doodles
Stud
I'm a Cthulhu Bluhbluhblub

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

You missed an audio log that was in plain sight under the bagman's sack.

ManicVolcanic
Jun 5, 2016
The creeper... was... was your shadow...

Also, solving that environmental puzzle that you saw sticking out of the ocean outside the Keep was one of my favorite things I did in this game. I had to look it up and you actually can't solve it at the moment, you need to do other stuff to set it up but it's pretty cool

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

ManicVolcanic posted:

The creeper... was... was your shadow...

Bruceski posted:

You missed an audio log that was in plain sight under the bagman's sack.

Both of these things are addressed in this video!

Episode 21 - Super Blow (05 Puzzles Solved)

Doodles
A puzzle it appears to be, solve it and Grunty you'll see
John Bagman Christmas Special

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Holy poo poo you overthought that one puzzle. I think the idea was that you do that, get it into your head that the solution is to just retrace your steps, then turn around and get screwed by the one you solved first and faster. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homphgomph
Nov 23, 2007

AlphaKretin posted:

Holy poo poo you overthought that one puzzle. I think the idea was that you do that, get it into your head that the solution is to just retrace your steps, then turn around and get screwed by the one you solved first and faster. :v:

I think I even straight up told them the solution when we were first looking at it and they just didn't catch on, once they started going in a completely different direction I was just like...ok let them figure this out then I guess.

I'll also note this video was like 6 minutes longer which is why you might have missed the slow build up of Katie getting more and more sick of that puzzle.

• Locked thread