Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

It is not early for shipping manifests to be read and leaked, though, which is what is happening for some stores.

And what's the conclusion from those?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

THE DOG HOUSE posted:

There were at least 20 for sale

(my point was its already bad, no need to exaggerate. we are a month in)

And my point is that the actual release should have had ~4 weeks of product piling up.

Either the CEO of Nvidia lied at an official press event (Hello Securities Fraud, nice to meet you), or these cards have been in production for ~60 days.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Xae posted:

And my point is that the actual release should have had ~4 weeks of product piling up.

Either the CEO of Nvidia lied at an official press event (Hello Securities Fraud, nice to meet you), or these cards have been in production for ~60 days.

:|

https://denebleo.sec.gov/TCRExternal/disclaimer.xhtml

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It'll be interesting if that's why Nvidia is so quickly launching the 1060, they're getting a large enough amount of defects that they can still recover a majority of the wafer by lasering them into 2 GPC/1280CC parts, at least you'll still see something on a return instead of just wasted silicon. If I were Nvidia, I'd actually softlock these early 1060s and let people unlock individual clusters for additional performance to better be able to sway people to the 1060 over the RX480.

On the RX480, I want to see someone properly downclock to 850 and undervolt to a good level of stability and see what the power consumption is. If perf/watt skyrocket then I guess the rumors about validating above 850Mhz are true and AMD's hand has been forced and they're pushing the RX480 way beyond what they wanted or was envisioned. Instead of a 1.3Ghz 110W part, they're stuck with a 1266Mhz 160W part. If this is really a tragedy at the fab level, then it's Bulldozeresque, just hope it doesn't take AMD 4 years to fix it with an Excavatoresque release. Again, if it's not down to the µarch, AMD just needs to let the 400 series die , fix the fab level poo poo, and get a refreshed 500 series up mid-late 2017 (launch RX590 and RX580 mid 2017, finish the refresh and launch the RX570, 565, 560, and 550 in October 2017). This is still recoverable, and it's unlikely Nvidia will be transitioning away from the 1000 series with enough alacrity for a fix to Polaris to not make sense.

This doesn't prevent the current release from being a dumpster fire.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

In case it wasn't clear, I'm arguing that the yields are poo poo. Not that he lied.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy
I'm gonna wait for the power thing to be addressed but I am tempted to make a little box to play games on my TV with this. I've an old Samsung LCD that's just 1080p so I may get to play games at good settings again.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Xae posted:

In case it wasn't clear, I'm arguing that the yields are poo poo. Not that he lied.

Sorry threads moving quick lol

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Phlegmish posted:

And what's the conclusion from those?
Does 20 1070s per Micro Center per week that have been already backordered sound like a lot to you, or Best Buys each having maybe a 1080 and some 1070s this month?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Does 20 1070s per Micro Center per week that have been already backordered sound like a lot to you, or Best Buys each having maybe a 1080 and some 1070s this month?

How did they mess up this much. They're really lucky the 480 doesn't live up to the hype.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Admiral Ray posted:

I'm gonna wait for the power thing to be addressed but I am tempted to make a little box to play games on my TV with this. I've an old Samsung LCD that's just 1080p so I may get to play games at good settings again.
New Radeon version within a couple weeks is going to have comprehensive voltage control and fan curves so you can see how little power you can get the thing to run while keeping most of the performance. I will do it myself for :science:

Phlegmish posted:

How did they mess up this much. They're really lucky the 480 doesn't live up to the hype.
They're also lucky people will still buy 1060s at $330

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

FaustianQ posted:

It'll be interesting if that's why Nvidia is so quickly launching the 1060, they're getting a large enough amount of defects that they can still recover a majority of the wafer by lasering them into 2 GPC/1280CC parts, at least you'll still see something on a return instead of just wasted silicon. If I were Nvidia, I'd actually softlock these early 1060s and let people unlock individual clusters for additional performance to better be able to sway people to the 1060 over the RX480.

On the RX480, I want to see someone properly downclock to 850 and undervolt to a good level of stability and see what the power consumption is. If perf/watt skyrocket then I guess the rumors about validating above 850Mhz are true and AMD's hand has been forced and they're pushing the RX480 way beyond what they wanted or was envisioned. Instead of a 1.3Ghz 110W part, they're stuck with a 1266Mhz 160W part. If this is really a tragedy at the fab level, then it's Bulldozeresque, just hope it doesn't take AMD 4 years to fix it with an Excavatoresque release. Again, if it's not down to the µarch, AMD just needs to let the 400 series die , fix the fab level poo poo, and get a refreshed 500 series up mid-late 2017 (launch RX590 and RX580 mid 2017, finish the refresh and launch the RX570, 565, 560, and 550 in October 2017). This is still recoverable, and it's unlikely Nvidia will be transitioning away from the 1000 series with enough alacrity for a fix to Polaris to not make sense.

mods please rename this guy RX480, he's overheating

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Xae posted:

The "Launch Event" for the 1070 and 1080 was May 6th. And they had said it was already being produced.

So yes. In one week AMD created more product than Nvidia has in two months.

And you know this how, again? Anecdotes? I'd love to see an actual number of units sold since launch on the 1080/1070 but that seems like the type of thing that never ever ever gets released.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

For reference/comparison back when they launched the 58xx AMD claimed to have 10's of thousands of cards made within 2 quarters of launch and availability was still poor for around half a year later which pissed lots of people off at the time.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
So wait, is the general consensus that the RX480 is a stinker? On the surface it seems reasonable for the price.

I'm coming from a 7870 so maybe I'm easy to appease.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

For reference/comparison back when they launched the 58xx AMD claimed to have 10's of thousands of cards made within 2 quarters of launch and availability was still poor for around half a year later which pissed lots of people off at the time.
Let's hope it doesn't take Nvidia that long to unfuck their process, or at least give enough GP104 1060s to keep people happy.

MrBond posted:

So wait, is the general consensus that the RX480 is a stinker? On the surface it seems reasonable for the price.

We're a bunch of idiots who crank voltage upwards and overclock, or the opposite. It's a good card for $200 if you're not the overclocking sort.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Man, the AMD info coming out... :munch:

repiv posted:

Just realised it uses more power than the 1070 across the board :stare:

So many reasons to be happy I bought a GTX 1070, thanks AMD?

fozzy fosbourne posted:

I feel like people are realizing that forcing things into 4k this console generation would be a mistake. It seems to be brought up less and less in the marketing.

Also, here's some tweets from the lead graphics dev for Doom (former CryEngine guy):

He also retweeted:

Here's the original tweet he was responding to:
https://twitter.com/ryszu/status/742831396767535106

Frankly, I think that going anywhere near 4k even with a PC and top of the line card is premature, especially with a tv without some sort of adaptive sync.

I can sorta understand getting one of the big 4k monitors and basically running it as a 2x2 of 1080 monitors for a lot of multitasking but I still can't imagine wanting to game like that. 4K ultrawides? Sure I'm looking forward to trying that if it's affordable in a decade when the 13xx series GPUs are out, running 32+ GB of RAM and paired with dozen+ core CPUs and probably 128GB of system RAM.

I love the jump from 1080/1200p to 1440p but 4k is more detail than most people could reasonably want or need even when sitting up close.

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I hope you got it at 400 bucks or lower else you got had :clint:

400's a great price for a much faster card, I miss when Good Cards released at that price.

Paying the extra $30 to get my 1070 last week and not a month from now was worth it no question.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.

MrBond posted:

It would be fairly OK, if not for the power usage numbers. If those don't bother you, and you can get it for the announced price, it's a great card.

The problem of it just being "OK" is that NVIDIA can throw their excess 970 stock at it with discounts while the RX 480 price remains above MSRP.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Fluffy posted:

I love the jump from 1080/1200p to 1440p but 4k is more detail than most people could reasonably want or need even when sitting up close.

At normal monitor ranges, anything below ~300dpi isn't enough. Above that, you can argue all you want, but until we get to that point, hahaha no.

e:

MrBond posted:

Looks fine to me :v:

eggyolk
Nov 8, 2007

If anything the RX480 is perfect for those with Freesync monitors. It's nice to have a 970 class alternative in that regard.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

xthetenth posted:

The 1070 being a big ol crop chip should help balance that out vs only whole die 480s, no?

My understanding is that the RX480 isn't a full die either - it's 2304 cores enabled on a 2560 core die, just like Hawaii Pro vs XT.

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

Just try a MacBook retina next to a regular 1080p laptop and try to read the text on a webpage.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Pixels are amazing, always not enough (although they aren't necessarily the best way to trade performance for IQ).

PerrineClostermann posted:

Man, some of this "sky is falling" nonsense is having me question whether or not we're on /g/ right now...

RX 480 looks like a decent upgrade from my GTX 760, and I'll get to use freesync. It'd literally cost me double to go with nvidia's route, considering only the GSync tax, and assuming nVidia had a 200 dollar card out right now for this performance.

Seems like a reasonable choice, though definitely not the GTX 980 killer people were hyping.

MrBond posted:

It does a very good job of hitting a solid price/performance point. It does not do a good job of having a cooler worth a drat kr overclocking, hopefully partner boards fix that and it'll be a good product.

The reason everyone's super mad is because it's using a ton of watts to do it which means that all the people who put too much money into their computer (most of the thread) are really worried that they won't be able to fit much performance into 300W for a top end card.

FaustianQ posted:

We may see with the 470, they're saying in the AMA that's targeting efficiency a bit more. Who knows though.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 29, 2016

Beautiful Ninja
Mar 26, 2009

Five time FCW Champion...of my heart.

MrBond posted:

It's a very solid price/performance card at stock, but the card pretty much shits itself with any sort of overclock. Power consumption in general is very concerning since it looks like under heavy load the card can pull more than the 150w its rated for, which can cause stability issues. Tomshardware has reported the card goes past the PCI-E limits for voltage, I believe they saw as much as 100w out the PCI-E slot, when the max is supposed to be 75w, at stock.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

I know this discussion was happening several pages back (thanks AMD), but I appear to have spectacular self-control compared to some people in this thread. I'm waiting for the 1170, though it's fun hearing my non-technology inclined brother wonder why I'm already planning an upgrade. (I just built my PC 2mo back.)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

MrBond posted:

Its a solid value buy and would be a nice upgrade for you but you should probably wait for the 3rd party AIB's to put out one with a better HSF. The reference HSF is fine for stock clocks but you can't really OC at all with it. They're supposedly coming in mid July. Waiting for the 1060 to launch would be a good idea too. If nothing else the price on the RX480 might go down a tad or you might even just want the 1060 instead.

LogicalFallacy posted:

I'm waiting for the 1170, though it's fun hearing my non-technology inclined brother wonder why I'm already planning an upgrade. (I just built my PC 2mo back.)
I'm waiting for Vega/Big Pascal to even consider upgrading. So far my lowly 290 is soldiering on wonderfully. I don't NEED to upgrade, its just ingrained into me at this point to at least WANT to though. I probably won't even buy Vega/Big Pascal since my frugalness has been winning out these last few years now. So not unless one or the other gets way cheap.

PC LOAD LETTER fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 29, 2016

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

xthetenth posted:

The reason everyone's super mad is because it's using a ton of watts to do it which means that all the people who put too much money into their computer (most of the thread) are really worried that they won't be able to fit much performance into 300W for a top end card.

It's bad because no room upwards for vendor A means no price pressure for vendor B, which leads to even more "too much money into their computer". Raaah.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

What is AMD's most powerful card at the moment anyway? I never really hear them get talked about in that regard, Fury X or something?
I have no idea what its relative performance is to that of the GTX 1000 series cards and that's probably not a good sign.

My 7870's still going fairly strong at 1080p, so I guess I have no need to upgrade GPU right now (lol need) but I do want a monitor upgrade and the whole G-sync/FreeSync thing makes it really frustrating since I don't want to be locked into a specific company.
Bring on the 1060 benchmarks I guess.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Skuto posted:

It's bad because no room upwards for vendor A means no price pressure for vendor B, which leads to even more "too much money into their computer". Raaah.
Vendor B also already has a premium brand advantage so even at grossly inferior price-performance points they'll totally kill it

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

sout posted:

What is AMD's most powerful card at the moment anyway? I never really hear them get talked about in that regard, Fury X or something?
I have no idea what its relative performance is to that of the GTX 1000 series cards and that's probably not a good sign.
Yes its the FuryX and yes its beat bad by a 1080. Everyone who wants something higher end to upgrade to and has some self control is waiting for Vega/Big Pascal.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

They're not even making cards based on Big Pascal apparently, GP100 is just not going to make it to the market as a graphics unit.

GP102, if videocardz isn't bullshitting us (odds are "much better than wccftech") is speculated to have more CUDA cores than GP100 but lose practically all of the FP64 poo poo nobody but Chris Roberts' Star Citizen cares about

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
1080 arrived today :toot:

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

particle9 posted:

1080 arrived today :toot:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I for one, will look forward to a full RX480 in laptops, where it looks like a comparative rockstar and maybe where it was supposed to be in the first place?

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I for one, will look forward to a full RX480 in laptops, where it looks like a comparative rockstar and maybe where it was supposed to be in the first place?

15" rMBP update, maybe?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

My understanding is that the RX480 isn't a full die either - it's 2304 cores enabled on a 2560 core die, just like Hawaii Pro vs XT.

RX480 is full die - AMD said Polaris 10 is 36 CUs, and 36*64=2304.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10424/a-bit-more-on-amds-polaris-gpus-36-16-cus

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

GP102, if videocardz isn't bullshitting us (odds are "much better than wccftech") is speculated to have more CUDA cores than GP100 but lose practically all of the FP64 poo poo nobody but Chris Roberts' Star Citizen cares about

Not even Star Citizen is stupid enough to do FP64 on the GPU, they're using FP64 coordinates CPU-side and converting to camera-relative FP32 for rendering.

repiv fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Jun 29, 2016

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I really only follow Graphics card stuff casually, with everything dropping about the new AMD card can someone give me the low down? Is it better than Nvidia's offering?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Hopefully in July they announce those laptops. I remember reading that they'd have them floating about during the back to school sales. It's what's making me look at the Gigabyte Aero 14 a bit side-eyed rather than full of wonder.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Knifegrab posted:

So I really only follow Graphics card stuff casually, with everything dropping about the new AMD card can someone give me the low down? Is it better than Nvidia's offering?
do you buttclock? :supaburn:
do you buttvolt? :supaburn:
do you have a bad PSU? :supaburn:
do you care about being out of PCIe spec and have answered no to the first 3 questions? its ok, it's a sidegrade to the 390 and 970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

eggyolk posted:

If anything the RX480 is perfect for those with Freesync monitors. It's nice to have a 970 class alternative in that regard.

I have a 21:9 FreeSync monitor and a non-ref 290x, everything is great.

I was going to get an RX 480 because I'm big into saving even small amounts of wattage (I jumped on Skylake for the same reason), but jeez, the non-spec PCI-e wattage pull is horrifying.

It's like, my 290x is still getting over $200 on eBay, and I'm not sure getting the RX 480 for the same price would even be a sidegrade with that lovely-rear end cooler and everything. Mayyyyybe undervolting it could get the whole thing down to a noise/watts level below the 290x and still match it's performance?

Edit: Hey, if I have a really nice PSU, like the EVGA P2 650w, and a Z170 motherboard, is the out-of-spec PCI thing a non-issue? Are there any implications for the card pins or motherboard trying to suck that many amps?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jun 29, 2016