Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

How durable are the sticks in fightsticks? I'm trying to pull off full circle moves but am worried that I may be too rough with my stick (Madcatz TE2+).

go nuts. for serious just like pick it up by the stick and hurl it into a diamond mine that poo poo dont break

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

punk rebel ecks posted:

How durable are the sticks in fightsticks? I'm trying to pull off full circle moves but am worried that I may be too rough with my stick (Madcatz TE2+).

Those parts were made to survive abuse in arcades, I wouldn't worry about it.

However if you feel like you're being too rough on the stick it probably means you're doing the motions in a really sloppy way which will make you input moves a lot slower than you need to. When you do a full circle make sure you're barely touching the gate.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

always grind the gates and pick up your stick by the stick

but seriously i always grind the gates

super tight springs and/or american style sticks own

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Yeah I play heavy like a dumb ape so I'm enjoying some seimitsu buttons and stick that I popped in my Hori, feels better to pound on. Also the stick clicks for each direction it hits, which is nice (maybe the OG hori sticks do this, but I had a silent one cause of a shipping error and it didn't).

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Thanks for the responses.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

dangerdoom volvo posted:

looks very rock paper scissors which is always the new fg developer go to becasue they dont know anything

Remember Jade Empire

that game sucked

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Brosnan posted:

Remember Jade Empire

that game sucked

i liked it :smith:

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

(no irony) It's extremely good to me when people emphatically press the buttons like a concert pianist.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Real hurthling! posted:

interviewer:
"tokido-san are you aware of the :biotruths: that keep women from success and make mark zuckerburg a real hero?"

tokido:
you think too much

/me imagines how epic it would be if tokido starred in his very own boke-tsukkomi standup

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
https://twitter.com/thebesteban/status/747507801157697536

Holy fuckin' poo poo :3:

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

I'm glad someones happy about SFV

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't know if just me but when I'm stuck in a round ending combo I like to blow off some steam by rocking the stick back and forth like crazy, I've never noticed any damage from it

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

li joe is a rad dude and this owns

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol but all of these characters were announced like a year ago

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Brosnan posted:

Remember Jade Empire

that game sucked

boxcarhobo posted:

i liked it :smith:

It was aight if dumb but definitely suffered from the "literally Hitler" vs "Mother Theresa" morality system that Bioware loves.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Wish 3D fighting games had a feature where you could bookmark characters' moves in something like a favorite list. That and the ability to save/bookmark your own combos and juggles. I think it would be a pretty cool feature to have, especially for Tekken.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

attackmole posted:

It was aight if dumb but definitely suffered from the "literally Hitler" vs "Mother Theresa" morality system that Bioware loves.

Even then, it wasn't the worst offender among Bioware moral systems. Though it wasn't great.

Man, I hadn't thought about that game in years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.
I would be picking people up and throwing them around for a Q announcement, so I'm not going to make fun of LIJoe.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Big Scary Owl posted:

Wish 3D fighting games had a feature where you could bookmark characters' moves in something like a favorite list. That and the ability to save/bookmark your own combos and juggles. I think it would be a pretty cool feature to have, especially for Tekken.

pretty sure Dead or Alive has had this for a few games now. Soul Calibur has also had a move list that had a section that was pretty much "These are your best/most important poo poo, memorize these first".

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Corbeau posted:

Even then, it wasn't the worst offender among Bioware moral systems. Though it wasn't great.

Man, I hadn't thought about that game in years.

I liked how they tried to sell the sides of the morality system as something like being a libertarian or volunteering for the poor but it was still hitler vs literal angel

also i'm glad morality systems are dead

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Big Scary Owl posted:

I'm pretty sure MKX has the bookmarking thing, at the very least.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Pomp posted:

I liked how they tried to sell the sides of the morality system as something like being a libertarian or volunteering for the poor but it was still hitler vs literal angel
seems like an accurate comparison to me

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Tekken lets you record and save up to 5 combos to add to each character's move list. At least they did at some point; it's not a feature I've tried to use in a while.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Pomp posted:

also i'm glad morality systems are dead

SARCASTIC

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
I feel unjustifiably happy about this, mostly because I'm no longer sharing an av with another goon I stole by accident.

Garnavis
Aug 25, 2011

Hey, I calls 'em like I sees 'em! I'm a whale biologist.
Has anyone, as a beginner, actually found those "controlling space" breakdown videos useful? I'm starting to think they only make sense to players who are already experienced. They always give the example of Ryu controlling a horizontal band with fireballs and a the air in front of him with DPs. But I rarely feel like I actually control any of that space, since opponents can just block or jump over or counter-fireball my fireballs, and I don't really control the space in front of me because I can't get a fireball off safely if they're right there. The point being, it doesn't feel like any space is being "controlled" and the stuff I end up thinking about in a match is poke ranges and mix ups and stuff like that. So am I just playing FGs wrong or is the whole "controlling space" idea just a nice abstraction that's not helpful for beginners?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Making an opponent block or jump is controlling space, it's forcing them to make a decision and move that you can potentially counter.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

Garnavis posted:

Has anyone, as a beginner, actually found those "controlling space" breakdown videos useful? I'm starting to think they only make sense to players who are already experienced. They always give the example of Ryu controlling a horizontal band with fireballs and a the air in front of him with DPs. But I rarely feel like I actually control any of that space, since opponents can just block or jump over or counter-fireball my fireballs, and I don't really control the space in front of me because I can't get a fireball off safely if they're right there. The point being, it doesn't feel like any space is being "controlled" and the stuff I end up thinking about in a match is poke ranges and mix ups and stuff like that. So am I just playing FGs wrong or is the whole "controlling space" idea just a nice abstraction that's not helpful for beginners?

?????

Iunno about videos cause I"m not into em, but it's a super useful concept, especially for characters with range. I've only been playing fighting games since Febuary so I'm a beginner-ish? I am godawful at every single game, except one, and I am terrible at every single character in that game, except one. However, the one guy who I can kinda play is literally the space control man, and that's one of the skills I've found easiest to pick up on as someone who's execution and reactions are pretty bad. I play Axl in Xrd, who's basically Dhalsim for reference (so space control applies more to him than it does to Ryu, but still), and thinking about controlling space is pretty much drat near the only thing I do. Any time I'm in neutral or in an oki situation I'm thinking about the angles I have. I have about three long range zones in front of me that I can control-- one for my long range ground attacks, one for a low and long anti air, and one for a short and high anti-air. Any time my opponent makes a move, I need to react and figure out where their vulnerable frames and one of those zones intersects, and smack em. Smacking them out of those zones/comboing off of this is probably what accounts for like at least half my damage.

So to me it seems like a pretty natural concept, but I'm biased cause its my main's speciality. So I guess if you want to think about it more, play 'Sim. 90% of what I do boils down to "annoy them on the ground at long range until they get frustrated and try to jump in, then gently caress them up when they jump".

I'm spoiled by Axl's anti airs tbh, they're so loving good. It's a real adjustment going to other characters and realizing that I don't control two giant inclined lines coming out of my character and that I actually have to wait for someone to be almost on top of me before connecting the anti-air.

CRISPYBABY fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jun 28, 2016

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Garnavis posted:

yes they work. but it's hard to stop flailing around in fighting games for most players no matter how much knowledge most of them have

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

blocking is a defensive action that forces them to move backwards and give up ground, which gives you momentum

idk how someone gets from blocking your fireball to in your face

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Garnavis posted:

Try playing a character with no or bad fireballs and you will feel the space being controlled all over your face. Alternatively, just play a character with big ol' pokes if fireball zoning doesn't jive with you but you still want to control neutral.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

play nrvnqsr chaos

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Endorph posted:

play nrvnqsr chaos

Gesundheit.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Endorph posted:

blocking is a defensive action that forces them to move backwards and give up ground, which gives you momentum

idk how someone gets from blocking your fireball to in your face

Just watch out for characters like cammy and laura who can punish fireballs if they have 1 bar

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Garnavis posted:

Play ST Sim for a while and then go back to your old main and game.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Lipstick Apathy

Garnavis posted:

If you're primarily playing SF5, the zoning stuff will feel like it doesn't apply as much because fireballs suck in that game. (They also suck in 3rd Strike, which is a big part of why people say it doesn't "feel" like Street Fighter.)

But assuming we're talking about a game where projectiles are good, controlling space with them assumes that you are using them smartly. You don't get to toss them mindlessly if your opponent has worked his way in and is waiting for you to toss one so he can jump it and hit you. (But if he thinks he's in that range and you know he's not, you get to hit him with a DP!)

All that being said, the point is to think about all of your moves less in terms of what looks cool or w/e and more as hitboxes that control space. That space is much more obvious and easy to illustrate with fireballs and dragon punches, but the same rule applies on all of your normals: if you have a really solid c.MK, you should definitely be using it to control space in a certain range closer to your opponent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
http://gematsu.com/2016/06/night-birth-exelate-pc-launches-july-12

UNIEL on Steam in two weeks.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Expecting a unibest console release date by the end of the week, then

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

they're apparently doing a huge visual novel story mode for unibest's console release, so it'll be a while yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I ca'nt wait to have to play through all of story mode to unlock one of the console exclusive characters