Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
asterisk is pretty good for delivering dial tone and some basic IVR work, but I wouldn't use it for more than that. Doing call recordings with it is a huge pain in the dick and unless you're super cheap GoToMeeting or webex or w/e is always a better conferencing system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Mr Dog posted:

Dnf is a tool for sysadmins anyway, you should be using gnome software

what? it's a normal package management utility. do you use this poo poo yourself, dog? i've had a number of problems with gnome software, one instance where it completely poo poo itself so i didn't bother to fix it until i switched laptops. the rating system is bad and it hasn't been the most reliable thing for me historically, but maybe it's better now. it's much faster to just type some poo poo out so i only ever use it for it's "needs upgraded" prompt

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

celeron 300a posted:

The kernel abi is stable now, I guess?

hahahahaha

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Mr Dog posted:

docker is bad, this seems like a much better approach

https://lwn.net/Articles/644675/

idk how much traction it will get though

containers and kubernetes and flannels and etcds are weirdly complicated and full of NAT and dragons

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

oh yeah that's what rkt is based on. man these things are in such a flux atm it's hard to pick the right tech

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
docker corp are starting to come for that sweet monetisation pretty hard so I'm a bit wary of them. we licensed the docker trusted registry when it was a separate thing and now they're retroactively pretending that was only a temporary license
kubernetes looks good but loving Google product lifespans

bssoil
Mar 21, 2004

what's wrong with xfce?

travelling wave
Nov 25, 2013

celeron 300a posted:

thanks, this clears it up

The kernel abi is stable now, I guess? I guess we aren't gonna have any new system calls until the end of time or at least they will be backwards compatible.

the in-kernel abi is unstable and always will be. the userspace abi however is pretty stable. sometimes system calls are removed or the semantics change slightly, but any major breakage will get knocked back by the finnlander

bssoil posted:

what's wrong with xfce?

i always read the name as x-feces so i figure it's poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

bssoil posted:

what's wrong with xfce?

Ugly

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along

ahmeni posted:

kubernetes looks good but loving Google product lifespans

kubernetes looks amazing, and I wish I could use it, but it scales down poorly

i suspect it'll live though. supposedly it makes money in their cloud stuff, and there's multiple companies working on it.

Rooney McNibnug
Sep 2, 2008

"Life always hopes. When a definite object cannot be outlined, the indomitable spirit of hope still impels the living mass to move toward something--something that shall somehow be better."

I mean... have you ever used kde? At least xfce runs smoothly while ugly..

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
just use twm day to day, fvwm if you're feeling fancy, olwm for those classic Sun feels

if you use windowmaker and say anything about how it's "just like NeXT" or "is GNUstep" I will loving cut you

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Rooney McNibnug posted:

I mean... have you ever used kde? At least xfce runs smoothly while ugly..

kde 5 is pretty. not functional yet, but at least it's pretty.

i currently stick to gnome. kde tend to be a few years behind the curve in terms of infrastructure at all times.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
docker is being hilariously petty at a corporate level about coreOS too

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
I work at a public library in the Washington DC area that offers 27 Linux stations to residents, seven days a week.

This town—Takoma Park, Maryland—is one of the most diverse in the nation, with more than 92 nationalities among its 17,700 residents. Once or twice a month, a new family moves to town, and half of the time they arrive from another country. Last month a Haitian family moved in: a mother and her 15-year old son Marcus and 7-year-old son Daniel.

I speak French so I was able to welcome them to the town. I gave them a tour of the library and computer center (where I work). The mother told me she was very eager to learn English so that she could find her first job. In Haiti, she was close to finishing her law degree. So, I started thinking about what I could do to help speed her towards that goal. In a moment, I realized that if I could supply her 15-year-old son with a Linux laptop, and they could both use it to learn English. They'd also be free of concerns about viruses.

My goal became getting him the nicest possible laptop I could find for $60. As it happens, I'm fond of the Dell Inspiron 9300 and 9400 series of laptops. These Core2Duo laptops with 17-inch screens were high-end ten years ago, so these days they sell for about $100 on eBay. If I was lucky, I could find one for $60. Luck came my way, and I bought one for $54 (with $8 for shipping) and wasted no time installing Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE.

Then, I worked on what to add to the laptop to help them learn English.

From the LibriVox website, I downloaded the free, public domain audio reading of Helen Keller’s amazing autobiography, The Story of My Life, which is an excellent book that was first published in 1903. Then, I downloaded the text of the book (it's in the public domain) from Project Gutenberg and imported the text into Calibre, the free ebook reading software. Using my favorite Linux screencasting software, SimpleScreenRecorder, I married the text (in a large font) to the audio recording. I created the first 11 chapters of the book as video files in this way, and uploaded them to YouTube. I also copied these onto the Dell Inspiron 9400, so these video files could be viewed offline.

This might have been helpful on its own, but I wanted to go one step further.

I wanted to find a hard copy book of Helen Keller's autobiography in French for the 15-year-old, Marcus, to read before he read the English translation on his laptop. That way he would have a familiarity with the story and could also spot English/French word equivalents when progressing through the screencast video files. So, I put out a call to my Twitter friends: "Does anybody know where I can I buy a hard copy of Helen Keller's autiobiography in French?" Within fifteen minutes I had an answer. Nicole Parrot pointed me to a Montreal bookstore that sells this book online for US $15.

Before I delivered the laptop, I also added Klavaro (a touch-typing tutor) and TuxPaint (an interactive paint program). Now it was ready.

To pay for the laptop, I plan to ask around in town for anyone who would like to chip in $5. I told my co-worker Altaywork Zeleke about it and she jumped at the chance. Step by step, we build community in this way. When Helen Keller wrote her autobiography in 1903, little could she imagine that her powerful words would be a valuable learning tool for a Haitian teenager more than 100 years later. She did her part. I did my part. Marcus will do his part. The creators of Linux, and all of the programs I installed on his laptop—they did their part.

I have a hunch Marcus will not soon forget the Linux laptop that welcomed him to America. And I wish TuxPaint creator Bill Kendrick could see Daniel whooping with delight as he explores the tool. Daniel is such a sweet kid and TuxPaint is such a sweet program. In a world filled with turmoil and strife, there's a family gathered around a Linux laptop at my public library—and they're all smiling, filled with hope for their future.

I'm smiling, too.

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

making software written for ubuntu work on centos :shepicide:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Olivil posted:

I work at a public library in the Washington DC area that offers 27 Linux stations to residents, seven days a week.

This town—Takoma Park, Maryland—is one of the most diverse in the nation, with more than 92 nationalities among its 17,700 residents. Once or twice a month, a new family moves to town, and half of the time they arrive from another country. Last month a Haitian family moved in: a mother and her 15-year old son Marcus and 7-year-old son Daniel.

I speak French so I was able to welcome them to the town. I gave them a tour of the library and computer center (where I work). The mother told me she was very eager to learn English so that she could find her first job. In Haiti, she was close to finishing her law degree. So, I started thinking about what I could do to help speed her towards that goal. In a moment, I realized that if I could supply her 15-year-old son with a Linux laptop, and they could both use it to learn English. They'd also be free of concerns about viruses.

My goal became getting him the nicest possible laptop I could find for $60. As it happens, I'm fond of the Dell Inspiron 9300 and 9400 series of laptops. These Core2Duo laptops with 17-inch screens were high-end ten years ago, so these days they sell for about $100 on eBay. If I was lucky, I could find one for $60. Luck came my way, and I bought one for $54 (with $8 for shipping) and wasted no time installing Linux Mint 17.3 XFCE.

Then, I worked on what to add to the laptop to help them learn English.

From the LibriVox website, I downloaded the free, public domain audio reading of Helen Keller’s amazing autobiography, The Story of My Life, which is an excellent book that was first published in 1903. Then, I downloaded the text of the book (it's in the public domain) from Project Gutenberg and imported the text into Calibre, the free ebook reading software. Using my favorite Linux screencasting software, SimpleScreenRecorder, I married the text (in a large font) to the audio recording. I created the first 11 chapters of the book as video files in this way, and uploaded them to YouTube. I also copied these onto the Dell Inspiron 9400, so these video files could be viewed offline.

This might have been helpful on its own, but I wanted to go one step further.

I wanted to find a hard copy book of Helen Keller's autobiography in French for the 15-year-old, Marcus, to read before he read the English translation on his laptop. That way he would have a familiarity with the story and could also spot English/French word equivalents when progressing through the screencast video files. So, I put out a call to my Twitter friends: "Does anybody know where I can I buy a hard copy of Helen Keller's autiobiography in French?" Within fifteen minutes I had an answer. Nicole Parrot pointed me to a Montreal bookstore that sells this book online for US $15.

Before I delivered the laptop, I also added Klavaro (a touch-typing tutor) and TuxPaint (an interactive paint program). Now it was ready.

To pay for the laptop, I plan to ask around in town for anyone who would like to chip in $5. I told my co-worker Altaywork Zeleke about it and she jumped at the chance. Step by step, we build community in this way. When Helen Keller wrote her autobiography in 1903, little could she imagine that her powerful words would be a valuable learning tool for a Haitian teenager more than 100 years later. She did her part. I did my part. Marcus will do his part. The creators of Linux, and all of the programs I installed on his laptop—they did their part.

I have a hunch Marcus will not soon forget the Linux laptop that welcomed him to America. And I wish TuxPaint creator Bill Kendrick could see Daniel whooping with delight as he explores the tool. Daniel is such a sweet kid and TuxPaint is such a sweet program. In a world filled with turmoil and strife, there's a family gathered around a Linux laptop at my public library—and they're all smiling, filled with hope for their future.

I'm smiling, too.

tl;dr: Linux user throws garbage at immigrants

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

tl;dr: Linux user throws garbage at immigrants

lmao

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

b0red posted:

making software written for ubuntu work on centos :shepicide:

now try FreeBSD,

then try Solaris.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

MrMoo posted:

now try FreeBSD,

then try Solaris.

how about no

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
If you wrote the software: You are a bad programmer D- see me after class.

If you didn't write the software: You are a bad sysadmin D- see me after class.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

xfce is strictly inferior to lxde

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Captain Foo posted:

xfce and lxde are strictly inferior to kde/plasma5

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I've never used plasma 5 or KDE at all, really

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Use gnome you useless spergs

Gnome tweak tool lets you autism up the ui to your heart's content if that is something you really have to do

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Mr Dog posted:

Gnome tweak tool lets you autism up the ui to your heart's content if that is something you really have to do

not well enough since i had to download two shell extensions just to disable hot corners and disable the obnoxious notification banner that insists on taking up the bottom left couple of pixels on my main screen

also i could not find any documentation on how to install a shell extension except to install the gnome shell integration chrome extension and then install the gnome extension through that.

wtf

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
remember mandrake linux

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Mr Dog posted:

the garbage pull-up lock screen that nobody likes no longer even listens to the escape key on my work machine

gotta drag that poo poo up

every loving time

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember mandrake linux

i remember sound not working an then going back to winME

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

remember mandrake linux

My first linux

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Progressive JPEG posted:

i remember sound not working an then going back to winME

I fixed sound and wifi card with driver wrappers. Owned. 😎

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
my first Linux was yellow dog iirc

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Progressive JPEG posted:

the garbage pull-up lock screen that nobody likes no longer even listens to the escape key on my work machine

every loving time

enter or space yo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Progressive JPEG posted:

every loving time

the one in rhel 7 (because of course it's in rhel too lol) passes keystrokes through to the password box, so just start typing away

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

the one in rhel 7 (because of course it's in rhel too lol) passes keystrokes through to the password box, so just start typing away

Lol you use RHEL with a gui.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

docker seems interesting

quote:

Be careful, however. If you bring down the application with `docker-compose down`, the persistent volume will be deleted and you will lose your data.

oh. yes this seems safe.

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

my stepdads beer posted:

docker seems interesting

oh. yes this seems safe.

that is not one of the problems with docker. there are lots of easy ways to wipe data if you have sudo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

ratbert90 posted:

Lol you use RHEL with a gui.

i'm expected to develop software that's compatible with that arrangement, yes

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

that is not one of the problems with docker. there are lots of easy ways to wipe data if you have sudo

I think it should be docker-composer destroy. 'down' implies shut down imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

carry on then posted:

i'm expected to develop software that's compatible with that arrangement, yes

Wait, you are developing a app with a gui that is expected to be used with rhel? :psyduck: