Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah salt+coral can be turned into bleach which is then converted into purified water. Purified water gives twice as much h2o as the ones you get from airsacs iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Speaking of power, am I correct in assuming there is no way to make it prioritize your self sustaining/natural power supplies? Or at least not dip into a reactor until until you somehow run everything else dry at that moment?

Without purifiers, I'd feel wasteful installing a nuke plant on my newbie base once I find the plans, just because it would dip into it with absolutely no need to every moment I'm below max power. Even with purifiers too, most likely, once I get around to ever placing thermal plants and relays to my newbie base.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Speaking of close encounters, Mesmers are apparently going to be reworked soon and are gonna be a lot creepier.

:catdrugs:

Away all Goats posted:

Yeah salt+coral can be turned into bleach which is then converted into purified water. Purified water gives twice as much h2o as the ones you get from airsacs iirc

airsacs are renewable a lot earlier than salt is (by which point you've made that water-making machine anyway)

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

Get a nuclear reactor going, set up a bunch of water purifiers, throw the extras into a locker. You'll never run out.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

President Ark posted:

airsacs are renewable a lot earlier than salt is (by which point you've made that water-making machine anyway)

If you want to get technical the actual best way to solve h20( and food) needs is planting a single hanging fruit tree in your cyclops/bases. The fish in your aquarium are just window dressing for your creepvine seed cluster farms.

This game is very light on the whole survival thing after the first few hours

Away all Goats fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 29, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Away all Goats posted:

If you want to get technical the actual best way to solve h20( and food) needs is planting a single hanging fruit tree in your cyclops/bases. The fish in your aquarium are just window dressing for your creepvine seed cluster farms.

This game is very light on the whole survival thing after the first few hours

Pretty much this. Subnautica is only thing that's ever made me consider being vegan a preferable option.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

Any guesses how long we'll have to wait before someone makes a mod to remove the Oxygen meter, so we can all pretend to be strangely high-tech merfolk?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Something made the escape pod start drifting away at high speed but not high enough to make me notice it until it ended up about 1600m from anywhere I've been. There's this giant stretch of open ocean between me and anything useful and I can only push it back in the right direction with my face at a rate of about half a meter per second. Should I start over

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Build a seabase and tell the pod to go gently caress itself.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

StrangeAeon posted:

Any guesses how long we'll have to wait before someone makes a mod to remove the Oxygen meter, so we can all pretend to be strangely high-tech merfolk?

Easily done with existing console commands.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Cubey posted:

Build a seabase and tell the pod to go gently caress itself.

I can't build anything without the pod and it reversed its momentum and drifted another 700m away. Game over I guess

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Nevermind cathair from 3 pages ago saved me

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Supposedly you're able to repair the lifepod which activates its 'gravity anchor' which prevents it from drifting. However people have reported it still drifting after the repair. so V:shobon:V

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Can I hatch these eggs if I just throw em in a creature habitat

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Digirat posted:

Can I hatch these eggs if I just throw em in a creature habitat

Yup. Takes a while, but they will hatch. For the big stuff, they will be smaller versions in the tank but puff out to full size when you release them in the wild.

As a future heads up that caught me off guard (because nothing I looked up mentioned it). They will take up more space than they do in your inventory, when it comes to the Bioreactor.

For example. Grabbing tank raised rabbitrays (worth 300 energy over time) or jellyrays (worth 600 over time), they take up 1 space each in your inventory. But on the 4x4 grid of the Bioreactor, Rabbitrays are 2x2, jellyrays are 3x3 (so you can only fit one of them).

The main benefit over using them instead over food fish, is you need to pop new ones in less often if you want to keep filled to the brim.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 30, 2016

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Wait you can put fish into the bioreactor? I always assumed it was just plants given how it used to use mushrooms.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Away all Goats posted:

Supposedly you're able to repair the lifepod which activates its 'gravity anchor' which prevents it from drifting. However people have reported it still drifting after the repair. so V:shobon:V

That happened to me! Didn't drift at all until I fixed it. Less than an in-game day later, the pod was a tiny spec in the horizon. The next day it was completely gone.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

HiKaizer posted:

Wait you can put fish into the bioreactor? I always assumed it was just plants given how it used to use mushrooms.

From what I've read (I'm much newer to the game myself) Fish is way better than plants for the bioreactor right now. Even peepers are worth 150. Reginalds are worth 220. Main thing the wiki doesn't list is how different things take up different amounts of space in the reactor, even when it's only 1 tile in your personal inventory. I expect a tank raised reefback baby probably takes up the whole grid :v:

http://subnautica.wikia.com/wiki/Bioreactor

Please think of this song as you put your first fish into your reactor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3FLN0iQ9SQ&t=95s

Since I still have very low power needs (AKA, Every base power drawing object known to man, EXCEPT water filters), it takes forever even to go through even a single Reginald in my newbie base unless I'm plowing through fabrication at night.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Jun 30, 2016

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What can't the Reginald, Wonder Fish, accomplish?

Best fish.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!
Putting fish into it seems vaguely immoral in some fashion. I have never wanted for power enough yet that I had to worry about the reactor efficiency. But I also build a lot of passive power generation like solar panels and geothermal.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

HiKaizer posted:

Putting fish into it seems vaguely immoral in some fashion. I have never wanted for power enough yet that I had to worry about the reactor efficiency. But I also build a lot of passive power generation like solar panels and geothermal.

The fish can either be used to power the base or the diver. Either will consume the fish.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I don't expect the devs to do it but I need a mod or something that searches all your storages for materials and let's you craft it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Invalid Validation posted:

I don't expect the devs to do it but I need a mod or something that searches all your storages for materials and let's you craft it.

"I know I set aside some computer chips for later in one of these things!"

HiKaizer posted:

Well you can also put predators (the ones with eggs, that is) into it.

I imagine there are some who wish they could decorate their bioreactors to look like a snake mushroom, to further insult the crab snakes they throw into it.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I'm spoiled by Factorio. I want to skip (manually) fabricating intermediary ingredients in recipes if I have all the source materials on hand, and just build final thing. Yes, I know this needs a chip; I have the coral, silver, et al. in my pocket. Just let me make the wiring kit, please.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I am best submariner. :downs:

[edit] Speaking of the Biogenerator. I'd like to see a similar machine that, instead of generating power, its a food processor. It would slowly consume whatever fish/plants you throw in it and eventually spits out nutrient blocks. Basically a cross between the Biogenerator and the water filtration machine.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jun 30, 2016

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i played this game for 50 hours on survival and never built a water desalinator. potted plants on the cyclops for life

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Section Z posted:

Speaking of power, am I correct in assuming there is no way to make it prioritize your self sustaining/natural power supplies? Or at least not dip into a reactor until until you somehow run everything else dry at that moment?

It should do this automatically. I know it prioritizes power from solar panels over power from a bioreactor.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So, despite having thalassophobia (or, well, fear of certain aspects of the ocean at least) bad enough that I actually get anxious just watching some videos of this game, I went and got it during the sale because it looks neat and I've heard good things about it. Downloading it now, though it won't be done for a few hours because my connection isn't the fastest. Will be doing stuff like finishing up Sips's video series on the game (and thus slowing down my download further) in the meantime, I suppose.

Wow, though, looking at the roadmap for this game has revealed to me that the designer is a massive dumbass.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Dumbass? Why?

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

I think he's just terrified about his upcoming aquatic adventures and taking it out on the devs

Viperix
Apr 21, 2006
Two questions: how hard is it to pack up and move you're base once you've started building? Should I stress where to place my first base, or can just plop it down near the start and then move it when I find a better spot?

Second, do you ever get any sort of navigation aids other beacons, ie a map?

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Viperix posted:

Two questions: how hard is it to pack up and move you're base once you've started building? Should I stress where to place my first base, or can just plop it down near the start and then move it when I find a better spot?

Other than the actual moving-of-things involved, moving st rather painles, particularly. if you don't mind leaving gutted hulls behind (since Titanium is more or less a renewable resource). Disassembling fixtures is lossless, so you can rip out everything, pack it into storage lockers you build in your Cyclops', and build out your new base with no loss.

The only downside is that fuel is locked into power plants (so you can't get fuel rods out of a nuclear plant, or the bioslurry from the bioreactor).

e: I only suggest leaving old bases behind because not packing that titanium leaves more room for not-titanium to be moved.

DopeGhoti fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jun 30, 2016

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Viperix posted:

Second, do you ever get any sort of navigation aids other beacons, ie a map?
You can get a compass for one of your two chip slots, and I highly recommend it. Magnetite is in the Mountain biome to the north-east-ish.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Roland Jones posted:

So, despite having thalassophobia (or, well, fear of certain aspects of the ocean at least) bad enough that I actually get anxious just watching some videos of this game, I went and got it during the sale because it looks neat and I've heard good things about it. Downloading it now, though it won't be done for a few hours because my connection isn't the fastest. Will be doing stuff like finishing up Sips's video series on the game (and thus slowing down my download further) in the meantime, I suppose.

Wow, though, looking at the roadmap for this game has revealed to me that the designer is a massive dumbass.

How do you reach a point in your life where you somehow decide the developer of a game you've never played before is a dumbass, and then buy the game anyway

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

How much of the Aurora can be explored right now, anyway? I scrounged up enough lead for a radiation suit, then loaded up on medkits and went to go fix the drive core. And.... then I ran out of things to do.

DopeGhoti
May 24, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

StrangeAeon posted:

How much of the Aurora can be explored right now, anyway? I scrounged up enough lead for a radiation suit, then loaded up on medkits and went to go fix the drive core. And.... then I ran out of things to do.

Not a whole hell of a lot. There are plans to add a fair bit more content to it though.

StrangeAeon
Jul 11, 2011

I decided to explore West of the Aurora.

It was a mistake.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You mean east? The spawn point is west of the Aurora.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Digirat posted:

How do you reach a point in your life where you somehow decide the developer of a game you've never played before is a dumbass, and then buy the game anyway

I had already bought the game at that point, actually.

Anyway, I was reading the roadmap, and discovered the entry "Female player model, voiceovers, animations, UI selector, etc." I had been wondering if the player character would be customizable after watching some videos so I was already curious, and I saw that entry had a description where most don't, so I clicked it. The description linked to a Twitter poll, where the guy posted, "Would you prefer we added the option to play as a woman in @Subnautica, or improve the core game?" Which is... About the worst possible way to ask a question that is a bad idea to ask in the first place. Another dev actually immediately called him out on it being a false choice and bad question, but he kept going with it. It came off as very passive aggressive, talking about how adding a female character option would require making big cuts to the game for little benefit and such.

Other responses were mostly decent, with only a couple appearances from the sorts of shitheads you'd expect to be attracted to something like that, but, yeah. When the guy harps on and on about how adding a female character option would necessitate making a worse game, I am not exactly impressed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
got a link to that

i mean, depending on how big the dev team that is an actual consideration - it's one thing for a huge dev like ubisoft to say that sort of thing but if it's just one dude then yeah that might be a lot of work put into it.

the way you put it is still pretty passive aggressive and lovely but i'd want to see where that came from, not seconhand