Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

butt dickus posted:

Hangouts is one of my most-used apps. I can't remember the last time I had a problem with it but I only use it for Hangouts messages and GV.

Hello, me.

Actually, hangouts is among my favorite apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

The only issue I have with Hangouts is that, since the last update, it refuses to display contact photos in the message thread. It'll show them in the conversation list, but not in the messages themselves. Still, my communications are 50/50 between Hangout messages and SMS, so I'm not switching apps just over that.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Has there been any more word about what the gently caress Google is doing with Allo/Duo/Hangouts/Messenger? I am still perplexed over why Allo/Duo need to exist, UNLESS Hangouts is going away.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Luchadork posted:

Has there been any more word about what the gently caress Google is doing with Allo/Duo/Hangouts/Messenger? I am still perplexed over why Allo/Duo need to exist, UNLESS Hangouts is going away.

iirc they're stripping the SMS functionality out of hangouts but otherwise it will remain unchanged.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

For those that read Reddit, the boost for Reddit app has a feature where if you click a .gif link, it displays a black square and actually SHOWS YOU the progress of the .gif being loaded. This way if it's a 500mb .gif or something you can just back out, instead of watching a 3fps slideshow without knowing how long the .gif is. Pretty clever if you ask me, and better than how any other app I've used handles .gifs

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Luchadork posted:

I am still perplexed over why Allo/Duo need to exist, UNLESS Hangouts is going away.

Allo & Duo need to exist because Google's organizational structure greatly rewards creating new things versus maintaining old things. If the only way you're going to get anywhere within the company is to recreate wheels, then that's what you're going to do. In other words, you can't get a team to add end-to-end encryption, a digital assistant, or resizable text to Hangouts but you can get a team to make two all new apps with those same features. It's also a lot more sellable to the powers that be when you can say that Hangouts adoption wasn't what was hoped for but NewApp won't have that problem.

Manky posted:

I want to save your lost tabs from limbo! Last thing I'm going to say - next time you're using Chrome on Windows, try hitting alt, then space, then h.

Never leave a tab behind.

I tried this at work last night and thanks again, it's really handy. In fact, it's better than Mac which doesn't have a keyboard shortcut to open the menu which means I can't use it to get at my shared tabs. I appreciate the tip! :)

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Jun 29, 2016

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

Allo & Duo need to exist because Google's organizational structure greatly rewards creating new things versus maintaining old things. If the only way you're going to get anywhere within the company is to recreate wheels, then that's what you're going to do. In other words, you can't get a team to add end-to-end encryption, a digital assistant, or resizable text to Hangouts but you can get a team to make two all new apps with those same features. It's also a lot more sellable to the powers that be when you can say that Hangouts adoption wasn't what was hoped for but NewApp won't have that problem.

I'd appreciate it more if they actually replaced stuff rather than just making one more alternative.

Like, sure, abandon hangouts if that's what they want to do, but if they launch a new app with pretty much the same features then remove the older one. I'm sure this wont happen though, since hangouts will likely stay as a google voice app.

When allo launches and if it works well I'm probably uninstalling hangouts, and I guess I'll have to hope that the people I'm currently using hangouts with will do the same.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Zom Aur posted:

I'd appreciate it more if they actually replaced stuff rather than just making one more alternative.

Like, sure, abandon hangouts if that's what they want to do, but if they launch a new app with pretty much the same features then remove the older one. I'm sure this wont happen though, since hangouts will likely stay as a google voice app.

Hangouts will stay the Google Voice (and Google Fi) app for 18-24 months. But during that period they will neglect and ignore it. Then they will announce that Google Fi is moving to Allo, then 12 months later Google Voice will move over too but it will be missing some of it's features like group MMS or something.

Around the same time, Google will announce the Jibe/RCS is ready and they will release a new messaging client based on it.

Seriously, I am really hoping that Allo turns out to be Jibe/RCS.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Zom Aur posted:

When allo launches and if it works well I'm probably uninstalling hangouts, and I guess I'll have to hope that the people I'm currently using hangouts with will do the same.

Lowen SoDium is pretty much right. They'll let the old thing wither on the vine while the new thing can't quite fill the needs the old thing could. They'll patch in this missing functionality into new thing until they lose interest or it starts to get too difficult and then it will sit at that level of "mostly complete" for a few years. Then they'll announce newer thing and start the cycle over.

Did you realize there's a way to use Google Talk in GMail?

The fact is that your complaint is a symptom of the same thing I was describing (along with the caution they've had about forcing changes since the Buzz debacle). Because all of these reinventions of the wheel are slightly different and certainly incompatible you can't really migrate users and if they were inclined to migrate users then there'd be no reason to reinvent wheels, they'd just have one team working on one problem with one product that had clear goals. That simply isn't how Google works.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

Hangouts will stay the Google Voice (and Google Fi) app for 18-24 months. But during that period they will neglect and ignore it. Then they will announce that Google Fi is moving to Allo, then 12 months later Google Voice will move over too but it will be missing some of it's features like group MMS or something.

Around the same time, Google will announce the Jibe/RCS is ready and they will release a new messaging client based on it.

Seriously, I am really hoping that Allo turns out to be Jibe/RCS.

What do Fi and hangouts have to do with each other?

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I just love Google's insistence on splitting things into single purpose apps. Why use Hangouts for data messaging, SMS/MMS, and video calls when you could use Messenger for SMS/MMS, Allo for data messaging, and Duo for video calls? Or when they removed functionality from Drive and made you install apps like Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Docs which then tie back into Drive anyway. I'm sure it has to do with ease of maintaining the apps, but goddamn.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
And sometimes they kill things off without making any kind of replacement. RIP Reader and Wave

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

XIII posted:

I just love Google's insistence on splitting things into single purpose apps. Why use Hangouts for data messaging, SMS/MMS, and video calls when you could use Messenger for SMS/MMS, Allo for data messaging, and Duo for video calls? Or when they removed functionality from Drive and made you install apps like Sheets, Slides, Forms, and Docs which then tie back into Drive anyway. I'm sure it has to do with ease of maintaining the apps, but goddamn.

At least the drive apps work well. Can't say the same for the tangled web of messaging apps.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Taffer posted:

What do Fi and hangouts have to do with each other?

Doesn't Fi use Hangouts for it's SMS and MMS?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lowen SoDium posted:

Doesn't have to. I broke the ties within five minutes of getting Fi.

It is required if you want to get calls and texts in Hangouts on your PC, though.

Edit: vvv That's odd.i got it a month ago and I believe Messenger was installed, but Hangouts was definitely the default for me. vvv

Uthor fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jun 29, 2016

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Lowen SoDium posted:

No. I got Fi with a new phone and Messenger was default. I kept it that way because messenger actually works, unlike hangouts.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Uthor posted:

Doesn't have to. I broke the ties within five minutes of getting Fi.

It is required if you want to get calls and texts in Hangouts on your PC, though.

Ah, I thought it was required.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Hangouts is the backend for wifi calls, isn't it?

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

LastInLine posted:

Lowen SoDium is pretty much right. They'll let the old thing wither on the vine while the new thing can't quite fill the needs the old thing could. They'll patch in this missing functionality into new thing until they lose interest or it starts to get too difficult and then it will sit at that level of "mostly complete" for a few years. Then they'll announce newer thing and start the cycle over.

Did you realize there's a way to use Google Talk in GMail?

Yeah, that's exactly it. Although, stuff like voice assist that was launched recently seems like it breaks this trend since it works well with Google now. It seems more like a supplemental service than a replacement or competitive service.

Also, the only person i know using hangouts/gtalk from gmail these days is my grandmother, and she's pretty much migrated to Facebook either way.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Hangouts is the backend for wifi calls, isn't it?

Yeah. Every call comes through my computer before it ever hits my phone.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
The stock phone dialer can do calls over WiFi on ProjectFi without hangouts. It really prefers to use t-mobile or sprint's network though. You can force it to use wifi by turning on airplane mode and then enabling WiFi.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Is this Celebrity Jeopardy or something?

Well I got 93 cents for reading an ad

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
If/when RCS becomes the messaging standard, wouldn't that likely eliminate a lot of the need for a "IM" client like Hangouts anyhow?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Luchadork posted:

If/when RCS becomes the messaging standard, wouldn't that likely eliminate a lot of the need for a "IM" client like Hangouts anyhow?

Theoretically yes, but it's still a big 'if' in regards to RCS ever becoming a standard.

brc64
Mar 21, 2008

I wear my sunglasses at night.

monster on a stick posted:

Is this Celebrity Jeopardy or something?

Well I got 93 cents for reading an ad

Pretty much all of those image choices on the last screenshot were wonderful. I feel like somebody had too much fun putting that one together.

kirrer
Sep 2, 2004
Guy from Ann Arbor
I didn't know where else to post so I thought I'd post it here. I made an Android app to help keep track of spending while shopping. It's essentially a calculator with a running total but with a few features and tricks geared towards making this task easier. You can assign expenses to 4 customizable categories, track multiple quantities of an item, remove items, filter by category, etc. Everything I thought would be useful I tried to cram in here.

I'm new at Android programming, I'm sure I could make it better but please offer some feedback if you like/loathe it. I just released it this past week and am looking to spread the word.

vv Edit: How did I forget the link? Thanks, Maker Of Shoes vv
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.irrer.fubajit

I even made a video to show you how to use it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psH24bul_eE

kirrer fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 3, 2016

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Didn't see a link for it so here ya go

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.irrer.fubajit

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty

DemonMage posted:

Just use Airdroid or FX to move them across WiFi. Or upload them to Google Play and then pin the ones you want to keep on your device.

I have a modem/router thing from AT&T that serves as a WIFI point - is it possible to get Airdroid to send the files using that or would I need a device that hooks into my PC directly?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

A Stupid Baby posted:

I have a modem/router thing from AT&T that serves as a WIFI point - is it possible to get Airdroid to send the files using that or would I need a device that hooks into my PC directly?

You are on the same network so yes you could use your wifi access point to access your wifi network to move files over wifi. But if you wanted to do it directly the device you need is called a "USB cable".

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

What do I use to replace Evernote? They're switching to extortion-level monthly pricing for use on more than two devices. All I need is something simple to sync occasional shorts notes and lists between my Windows desktop and some Android gadgets. I'm not in a power user scenario here. I don't mind buying an app if needed, but I'll be damned if I'm giving Evernote 8 bucks every month.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Acid Reflux posted:

What do I use to replace Evernote? They're switching to extortion-level monthly pricing for use on more than two devices. All I need is something simple to sync occasional shorts notes and lists between my Windows desktop and some Android gadgets. I'm not in a power user scenario here. I don't mind buying an app if needed, but I'll be damned if I'm giving Evernote 8 bucks every month.

Google Keep and Microsoft OneNote are the obvious ones; both have the advantage of being included in free omnibus accounts you probably already have.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Oh hell, I completely forgot about Keep. Thank you. :)

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Acid Reflux posted:

I've been doing their cheaper Plus plan, which is only going up a dollar to 3.99 a month or $35 a year. If I had to switch I'd go to OneNote, though, definitely.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I'll look into OneNote too, haven't ever used that. I also didn't even realize that there was a lower priced tier for Evernote, they conveniently omitted that from the email I got. This is what I get for trying to process any of this after an overnight shift.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
I was about to export everything to one note when Evernote offered me the premium tier for $35 for a year. Figure that was worth it for one year to buy myself time.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Microsoft has a tool that automatically exports Evernote to OneNote

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
OneNote is fantastic on the desktop, but I can't get comfortable using it on a phone-sized screen; so now I'm using Keep as a glorified sticky-note service, and OneNote as an everything-dump on my PC.

DaRealAce
Dec 27, 2004
Touch It.. No I dont want to... TOUCH IT!
I highly recommend OneNote - I've been using it for 4+ years and share several notebooks with my team (both in the US and Offshore) and it works seamlessly.

The biggest issue I have now is I have been using it so long that it has some invalid information in it and I have to go through and purge which takes a long time.

Jigoku
Apr 5, 2009

One note syncing is slow and clunky. I love the desktop version and the ipad app is good but the Android phone one is kind of lovely.

I hate that when you scroll the content moves and bounces all over the place and sometimes when I try to delete stuff with the back key on the keyboard it duplicates the word I'm trying to get rid of. It also doesn't scroll right when you try to highlight more than is on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I think I can get by with using Keep for my short lists (eg, groceries) and am going to try and get a solution involving folders and Dropbox for the rest. A lot of what I use Evernote for is keeping product manuals easily accessible and storing them in a shared folder seems like a more future-proof solution.

There's a handful of things I use Evernote for that won't work well with either Keep or saving files that I'm still debating on how to handle. OneNote might be the way to go, but I don't want to have to migrate again in a few years when Microsoft closes down all its services (yes, yes, that's a distant possibility as they're not Google).