Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What hot hatch do you own?
This poll is closed.
Golf GTI / R / R32 196 0.02%
Impreza WRX / STi 133 0.01%
Mazdaspeed 3 92 0.01%
Veloster Turbo 20 0.00%
Focus ST 149 0.01%
Other Hot Hatch 230 0.02%
Elantra GT 1000001 99.92%
Total: 1000821 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Bovril Delight posted:

That guy wanted 2k for hotel and food expenses to drive to the event? Hahaha, what a tool.

Hotel and food reimbursement at least was more reasonable than his request for time off work at 8 hours x $150/hour, which was $1200 of that total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Getting honks and thumbs up on the way home from work was something else. Best Focus ever.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Is booking a track day in September too soon for a novice fast car and manual transmission driver? Because I really want to drive this thing fast.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

KidDynamite posted:

Is booking a track day in September too soon for a novice fast car and manual transmission driver? Because I really want to drive this thing fast.

If you can't drive it properly in a few months please give it to me

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

KidDynamite posted:

I did my first autocross event less than 3 months after getting my ST, which is my first manual car. It's not too soon, and it can help with any bad habits you might unknowingly have picked up. Just make sure you're with people who know what they're doing and ask a million questions s.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I have a low key scca track night in america code that I can't use. It is $150 i you want to get it and have an event near you that you would use before year end. I highly recommend the starting line tire rack course if you can. Or anyone else, I'm just asking $75

https://www.tracknightinamerica.com/

Christobevii3 fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jul 1, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KidDynamite posted:

You should start with a driving skills day or some autocross. If you wad that car up at a track day you will probably not be able to get insurance to pay for it (but you can buy supplemental track day insurance, but you would still end up paying a 20% deductible for any claim you make).

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

KidDynamite posted:

I would say no, but you should make sure that you go with a club that has good instruction. NASA and SCCA are usually safe bets, although my experience with my local SCCA and NASA groups is that SCCA is better. I wouldn't suggest any of the smaller/cheaper trackday options.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Definitely try to do an autocross or two first, cones are softer than walls and all that.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

These all seem like very reasonable and thought out suggestions. Going to try to find some auto-x near me and then doing something at this track by the end of the season I hope.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

KidDynamite posted:

These all seem like very reasonable and thought out suggestions. Going to try to find some auto-x near me and then doing something at this track by the end of the season I hope.

Oh, you're in the northeast.

I would not suggest doing any of the events listed on their website. "Paced laps" are pointless, novice/beginners group is so slow that a pace car doesn't make any sense.

I would suggest choose one of the following, I will be attending all these events minus the october one, where i will be down at summit point shenandoah instead (don't recommend shenandoah for novice, very tight busy track, choose a simpler track for first time)

August
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/delval-bmw-cca-lightning-de-sponsored-by-ottos-new-jersey-motorsports-421595

September
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/rtr-pocono-south-east-september-2016-raceway-pca-riesentoter-972488#.V3E4iVUrKUl

October
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/schattenbaum-njmp-5-thunderbolt-lightning-at-pca-829107

November:
http://www.motorsportreg.com/events/schattenbaum-njmp-6-thunderbolt-raceway-pca-116661

Also:

KidDynamite posted:

lol, cool your heels there buddy, you'll go plenty fast (for a novice :D), but it will take many events/weekends on track as you learn and build up the pace, in that car it will probably always "seem" fast at whatever skill level you're at, but your first ride along with an instructor will be eye opening and most likely scare the crap out of you and possibly make you sick (in a good way) while they drive some old car with half the power of your focus rs.

crazzy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 1, 2016

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Oh I didn't mean fast as in fast laps. Just want to actually get on the throttle responsibly And in more than a straight line.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I found a somewhat local small track for my first track day. Paid $50, got in the beginners class, and raced all day against a Trans am, Civic, Miata and very beat up E36. The track was small but had lots of run off and it was all very casual and fun.

crazzy
Jul 1, 2004
Martial Arts Master

KidDynamite posted:

Oh I didn't mean fast as in fast laps. Just want to actually get on the throttle responsibly And in more than a straight line.

hah, gotcha. get lots of people with crazy cars that think they're ayrton senna the first time they step on track :D

A good AWD car can actually be rather irresponsible getting on the throttle crazy early on corner exit, at the apex or even slightly before, it's an incredibly fun way to get around a track (and if done correctly the fastest way around the track in a properly setup AWD car).

Downside is that all the RWD drivers and instructors will constantly be-little you about how the "car does all the driving for you", and blah blah blah. But trust me, you'll see tons of slow people in STI/EVO/GTR's getting passed by miata's and even slower cars with mediocre drivers at the wheel, so an AWD certainly doesn't drive itself, just means that throttle application is more forgiving, especially at the novice level.

I personally like the BMW club in the northeast, but PCA might be slightly better as they have much more experience in proper AWD cars, carrera 4's and 911 turbo's and the like, bmw's awd cars aren't exactly what i would call "good" on track...

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Just test drove a '16 Fiesta ST and I'm pretty sure I'm in love. I daily a 97 Cherokee and my wife has a 12 Scion XB and gently caress me it's good. Just got back from a 3 hour trip in the scion and it was a stark reminder of how much I hated the steering in it when we got it. My Jeep feels more direct. I had test drove the Focus ST (there were no FiST on any lot in he city at that time) when we got the Scion and it was nowhere near as fun as the Fiesta. The Recaros reminded me of getting in my old Shiro and the driving experience was fabulous. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be making a poor financial decision when they get an orange one in later this week.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Jul 4, 2016

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Installed a Curt hitch on my 2016 GTI today so that I can tow my Tuono and R6 to trackdays instead of keeping around my Ram 1500.
drat thing sits 7.5" off the ground, guess that means I'm not lowering it from stock anymore. :lol:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 4, 2016

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Sort of surprised I haven't seen this on here yet. Matt Farrah bought a Focus RS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep10ChjKVuQ

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
I thought he was getting a gt350r? How hasn't he killed someone or lost his license yet?

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Christobevii3 posted:

I thought he was getting a gt350r? How hasn't he killed someone or lost his license yet?

I have no idea. The very first time I took my ST for a spirited drive, on a road much more twisty than that one, therefore much slower (also, extremely remote, on the north side of the Grand Canyon, in the morning, on a weekday), I got a ticket for going 50 in a 40 (was actually going 56 and he knocked it down to 50). I haven't got the faintest clue how he (and others like him) manage to keep a drivers license. Maybe I'm just terribly cursed, because every time I go even a little bit fast on a public road, even traffic-less ones in the middle of nowhere, somehow the police will know, and come find me.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

The Locator posted:

Sort of surprised I haven't seen this on here yet. Matt Farrah bought a Focus RS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ep10ChjKVuQ

Did anyone see what his Delorean sold for on BAT?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Christobevii3 posted:

How hasn't he killed someone or lost his license yet?
He's discussed this on the TST podcast a few times, basically it comes down to knowing where the cops tend to patrol and filming these segments at times when they aren't out looking for people doing this. Early morning on a weekday for example. He says he gets most of his tickets while going to/from filming locations for boring things like 10 over on the highway.

As for not killing someone, if you watch enough one take videos you'll notice he tends to run downhill first, so any cyclists he encounters will be going faster thus reducing the closing speed and allowing him more room to slow down or maneuver around them, and he makes note of the ones going uphill to look out for on the return run.

blk posted:

Did anyone see what his Delorean sold for on BAT?
$52,000

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
So, now I get to go to court because apparently the county the kid got ticketed in for no insurance is going after him to recoup my out of pocket expenses.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012
Was going to buy a 2017 GLA45 but it was a 3 months wait.

Bought a 2015 for around 13k less (54k CAD) instead for same specs. Figured it was only a 20HP loss and a smaller screen. But now I've heard the gearing is different and better and I'm feeling a slight edge of regret.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is the AMG GLA interior any better? The GLA I sat in was hot garbage compared to the C class.

SuperSix
Aug 22, 2012

Bovril Delight posted:

Is the AMG GLA interior any better? The GLA I sat in was hot garbage compared to the C class.

I don't think so, they're both pretty much just the CLA interior

but I'm coming from a 03 Corolla so anything will be an upgrade...

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
http://jalopnik.com/idiot-australian-news-calls-ford-focus-rs-illegal-1783738056

Australia where the bugs you eat and you can't have fun

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Australia, where apparently the newscasters and police are dumb as rocks too. Jebus.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Man, the Fiesta ST really is a fun little car. The shifter isn't super great and the throw seems really long but that's easily fixable, and the steering wheel feels/looks massive and that's all that's about all the "negatives" that stuck with me after a test drive. Pretty close to the top of my list for a replacement for my Golf.

Dr. Kayak Paddle
May 10, 2006

SuperSix posted:

Was going to buy a 2017 GLA45 but it was a 3 months wait.

Bought a 2015 for around 13k less (54k CAD) instead for same specs. Figured it was only a 20HP loss and a smaller screen. But now I've heard the gearing is different and better and I'm feeling a slight edge of regret.

So I've been looking into the GLA45 because I'm leaving Australia and wouldn't be able to import an A45. Whats your opinion?

I've also been talking myself out of a Focus RS... Whats the AI opinion of either car?

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
I am about this >< close to driving my civic off a cliff (trading it in) on a white 2016 FoST. 0% APR...

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I am about this >< close to driving my civic off a cliff (trading it in) on a white 2016 FoST. 0% APR...

I liked the FiST I drove today quite a bit more than the 9th gen SI I drove yesterday.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

fknlo posted:

I liked the FiST I drove today quite a bit more than the 9th gen SI I drove yesterday.

I could see that. 9th gen is kind of the rounded off version of earlier Si cars imo. Great car and reliable as gently caress but not really as sharp edged as you would like.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

PaintVagrant posted:

I could see that. 9th gen is kind of the rounded off version of earlier Si cars imo. Great car and reliable as gently caress but not really as sharp edged as you would like.

It was definitely way more "civilized" than I expected, even after reading that it was quite a bit softer than previous generations. I could definitely live with one, but the FiST pretty much made me forget about it. I'll still have a few months to track down a stock-ish 8th gen to get a little seat time in before my car gets bought back.

I drove a GTI w/ PP last week but my brain has an issue with driving new cars, even ones I'm not planning on purchasing, in the fashion that I typically drive so I didn't get a great feel for it. I need to get over that and drive another one and a Focus ST as well. I've got a little seat time in the Golf R and it was cool but I'm not trying to spend that kind of money right now.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Went to a ford dealer yesterday that claimed they had an RS available to test but when I got there they said "no one in the country gets a test drive. We're selling these for 15k over msrp. We have a focus ST you can try though."

Assholes. It's a $40k Ford Focus, not a Ferrari.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

Went to a ford dealer yesterday that claimed they had an RS available to test but when I got there they said "no one in the country gets a test drive. We're selling these for 15k over msrp. We have a focus ST you can try though."

Assholes. It's a $40k Ford Focus, not a Ferrari.

My coworker that leased a Golf R(and got out of it in a few weeks because he was sick of dealing with VW) had the same issue at multiple dealers. Knowing the guy I completely believe this story, but at one of them he asked the guy if he was seeing extra zero's in the price :lol:

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Makes the 5K markup on the White RS at my local dealer seem reasonable.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

PaintVagrant posted:

There's so much money on the FoST right now because the FiST is more popular at the low end and the RS is taking the top end. I think OEM advertised cash discount right now is like $2,750.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

There's so much money on the FoST right now because the FiST is more popular at the low end and the RS is taking the top end. I think OEM advertised cash discount right now is like $2,750.

I am thinking with the various discounts something like 23k otd for a base model?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Just zooming out a bit with gas as cheap as it is small car sales are getting absolutely murdered right now, and Ford missed earnings expectations by a wide margin today calling out the car segment specifically as a huge pain point. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't really commit to the RS in a big way.

I just want to see one for less than retail, then I'm actually interested in driving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Don't pay above MSRP for the RS. MSRP is fine let the dealership get some scratch for actually getting you the car.