Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret

dongsbot 9000 posted:

im 2 lazy to post

dongsbot decides to try the tomm pro scum strat of lurking through a game, gets caught scum handed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

As lovely as I think AA's fit was, Nexus is both a plausible claim in this game and a really unlikely role to lie about having because I'd think a counterclaim would be highly likely.

I'd like to vote him out on principle but I just don't really see it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

You think nexus is a role with a high chance of being counter claimed?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

On nights where a nexus type event occurs, if someone claims it and they're lying then the person who actually did it would counter.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

Absurd Revolver posted:

dongsbot decides to try the tomm pro scum strat of lurking through a game, gets caught scum handed

actually im death cop

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Retro Futurist posted:

I'm saying in a redirection setup, where almost everyone has a redirection role, I would have been surprised if a nexus didn't exist. That said, if AA is claiming that's what he was, he would be stupid to fake-claim that because odds are very high that role would be in the game and could counter-claim.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

IllegallySober posted:

As lovely as I think AA's fit was, Nexus is both a plausible claim in this game and a really unlikely role to lie about having because I'd think a counterclaim would be highly likely.

Nexus is not an inherently town role. Do you think AA is town and why?

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

dongsbot 9000 posted:

actually im death cop

Prove it what was Jimson? Scum or town?

Li Dawny
Apr 14, 2013

Your Personal Muse posted:

Your mom!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Kashuno posted:

Nexus is not an inherently town role. Do you think AA is town and why?

I'd never heard of the Nexus role before I played this game. I was just looking at the wiki which seems to say it is.

If love to post my screenshot of that but Awful app is failing so you'll just have to look at the wiki yourself.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

dead

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

IllegallySober posted:

I'd never heard of the Nexus role before I played this game. I was just looking at the wiki which seems to say it is.

If love to post my screenshot of that but Awful app is failing so you'll just have to look at the wiki yourself.

It can be scum or town and is actually an inherently scummy role

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Alright seems like dongs is a death cop

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Wait AA why did you redirect all actions to Asiina if you suspected her? If you are town that might create a false positive read on you if she's scum

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

It can be scum or town and is actually an inherently scummy role

Literally the first sentence of the wiki says "A Nexus is a pro-town role"

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I can see how it could be both, looking at it logically, but the wiki should probably be edited if so.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

IllegallySober posted:

i don't doubt he is nexus and actually think it is very likely based on YPMs claim

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

IllegallySober posted:

Literally the first sentence of the wiki says "A Nexus is a pro-town role"

And the first wiki that pops up when you type in mafia nexus into google talks about how it is anti town

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I also think he's a nexus

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Jake tell me about the MG3, I really don't like him naming Jimson as possible scum. I feel like its a mistake that only gets made by a guy who is more worried about creating a list of scum reads than actual scum reads

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

Jake tell me about the MG3, I really don't like him naming Jimson as possible scum. I feel like its a mistake that only gets made by a guy who is more worried about creating a list of scum reads than actual scum reads

That was my first thought as well when he posted it but I dunno, the scum would have had to submit a night kill so you would think magnus would have been involved in that if he were scum, and would know jimson is dead. I could see him saying jimson as a joke and not as a slip

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

JakeP posted:

That was my first thought as well when he posted it but I dunno, the scum would have had to submit a night kill so you would think magnus would have been involved in that if he were scum, and would know jimson is dead. I could see him saying jimson as a joke and not as a slip

Imagine this Jake: You are in the scumdoc and Jimson gets turbo'd so fast that he can't even type his name in the header section. I could totally see Magnus not even realizing that Jimson is his scum buddy. That's part of the reason I kept asking him (well twice) about Jimson, I wanted to see how he played it, and it wasn't like it was a joke all along.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I posted it on purpose, I was aware Jimson was scum.

I was semi-facetiously posting that I thought he was scum. I did intend it as a joke, but also as a litmus test of sorts, to see who's actually reading posts closely.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

I posted it on purpose, I was aware Jimson was scum.

I was semi-facetiously posting that I thought he was scum. I did intend it as a joke, but also as a litmus test of sorts, to see who's actually reading posts closely.

Jake look at this bullshit

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Jake look at this bullshit

lmao, yes very bs.

Jimson flipped scum in a D1 turbo. I threw his name in there to see who would read my post and agree and who would call me out.

You're the first to call me out, and I made that post a while ago.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

lmao, yes very bs.

Jimson flipped scum in a D1 turbo. I threw his name in there to see who would read my post and agree and who would call me out.

You're the first to call me out, and I made that post a while ago.

Actually Jake called you out immediately Mr. Testing People to See Who's Reading Closely

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Actually Jake called you out immediately Mr. Testing People to See Who's Reading Closely

Whatever. Still doesn't change the impetus behind my post, and my thought process behind making that post. You either believe that I put the Jimson part in on purpose as a joke and then left it in to see who'd notice, or you don't believe that.

I know why your data might be corrupted last night, which is why I didn't believe your case on AA.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

Whatever. Still doesn't change the impetus behind my post, and my thought process behind making that post. You either believe that I put the Jimson part in on purpose as a joke and then left it in to see who'd notice, or you don't believe that.

I know why your data might be corrupted last night, which is why I didn't believe your case on AA.

Ok but that's not why we are voting AA now, and are you going to share with the class?

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

I included in my post 3 (maybe four I don't feel like checking for sure) opinions on players in this game, then I threw in an "opinion" on Jimson (who'd already flipped scum) saying "I thought he was scum".

If you think that making that post is scummy, then I wonder how other games of mafia go for you. :)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

MG3 posted:

I included in my post 3 (maybe four I don't feel like checking for sure) opinions on players in this game, then I threw in an "opinion" on Jimson (who'd already flipped scum) saying "I thought he was scum".

If you think that making that post is scummy, then I wonder how other games of mafia go for you. :)

I think its scummy to turn around and say "It was all a ploy to see who was paying attention!" when you admitted that you only skimmed over posts.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

I think its scummy to turn around and say "It was all a ploy to see who was paying attention!" when you admitted that you only skimmed over posts.

Actually thinking about it I don't I think its more dumb than anything and right now I'm of the opinion that you weren't paying attention and the retroactively made it a gambit to cover up your stupid mistake, which is more townie than anything.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Although I don't see how someone can form an opinion on Jimson...even forgetting the flip its not like he did anything.

MG3
Mar 29, 2016

Although I don't see how someone can form an opinion on Jimson...even forgetting the flip its not like he did anything.

That was the joke "I think he's scum guys" when he's already flipped scum and there was no way anyone knew he was scum when he was getting lynched.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I've settled on the retroactive gambit theory

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i love this whole interaction

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I thought Magnus was joking when he posted about Jimson. Not a suspicion I would want to pursue in any case.

Mechanics wise I think the AA situation is a wash. If I was the moderator and a lightning rod went off I would have ALL night actions redirected including the nexus, however it's possible CPig decided the nexus redirects the lightning rod ability. In any event it seems unlikely that AA was the nightkiller and it would be a bold and unusual move for the scum to withhold a kill on night 1 especially after losing a member.

I do think AA's meltdown was scummy, looked like scum complaining about having a rough start and getting caught. I still want to hold off on voting though to get a better sense of other players.

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
I hope TNL and Jake aren't scum because they are the most rational

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

The Ninth Layer posted:

I thought Magnus was joking when he posted about Jimson. Not a suspicion I would want to pursue in any case.

Mechanics wise I think the AA situation is a wash. If I was the moderator and a lightning rod went off I would have ALL night actions redirected including the nexus, however it's possible CPig decided the nexus redirects the lightning rod ability. In any event it seems unlikely that AA was the nightkiller and it would be a bold and unusual move for the scum to withhold a kill on night 1 especially after losing a member.

I do think AA's meltdown was scummy, looked like scum complaining about having a rough start and getting caught. I still want to hold off on voting though to get a better sense of other players.

I could see a nexus just not being tracked to anywhere. A standard redirector would target one player to get swapped with a second player. I imagine those players would be tracked to their target, but not to where they are redirecting the person to. A nexus is a redirector without the initial targetting, jus with the redirect target

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I would think that targeting someone to redirect anything hitting you to them would count as a targeting action. It's not my game though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Oh jeez, I forgot how bad working nights is for mafiaing.

I can't possibly begin to comment on the actual mechanical argument, I've never heard of a nexus and I'm confused utterly by what's been written so far about it.

I'm wavering back and forth on AA's meltdown looking townish or not, I've definitely gone the gently caress off based solely on what (to everyone else) looks like a couple of basic-rear end questions. I'm not ready to vote him, especially considering we just came down off a ridiculous successful turbo and now it's the time that people strap in and start playing FOR REAL. I can see getting riled by getting (what you think is) grilled when you've barely sat down to play---but I'm gonna keep watching.

Mags is playing dumbly. Unhelpful. He's better than this. I wouldn't be hugely surprised if he flipped town, just on numbers, but come the gently caress on---either wise up or admit you're not paying attention.

The main thing that's digging at me about day one is what I know about Jimson as scum, specifically Jimson disrespecting the flow of a game. I was gung-ho to punch his ticket, but I'm wondering if I got played, like, he knew people would be pretty okay with him being turboed because of his reputation. This obviously points the finger at YPM, but I'm not happy about that argument either.

So, the next reasonable thing I think to think of is who's lurking? Well, there's three active players with single-digit postcounts, myself, RF and Dawny. Not much to work with thus far, but they're probably names to float on the suspicion list. Yeah, even mine, what, you think I'm going to hedge that, all "oh it's not me obviously", that's stupid. "I'm town!" is a given in any gameplay post.

All that said, for right now I'm liking a ##vote MG3 maneuver.

• Locked thread