Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BooDoug187 posted:

Seeing the Saint's back story so far and what all the changes I wonder if they will keep the part about going to hell, getting his guns and killing the Devil.

Considering how true to the comics they've played that story so far, I can't imagine they won't. Really looking forward to seeing some great big supernatural poo poo start going down, and sarcastic Hellboy Satan is the best.

It'll be an interesting way to foreshadow the way the story ends, though—instead of having the Saint's backstory being part of an "optional" special issue, it'll be front and center in Season 1 that he's gunning for God, even before we've found out what the hell Genesis is.

Also this is dumb but I'm annoyed by how they've decided Fiore's name is pronounced. It's like hearing people say they drive a "Porsh".

God drat these angels are feckless nincompoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like how they've set it up so they can tell as little of the backstory as they like, and they still have all the hooks for larger revelations later in place.

Data Graham posted:

instead of having the Saint's backstory being part of an "optional" special issue, it'll be front and center in Season 1 that he's gunning for God, even before we've found out what the hell Genesis is.
Not necessarily, the special issue didn't tell that bit either and it was revealed only much later in the main series. First he was sent after Jesse, then he came after Jesse because he didn't like having the Word used on him, then Starr teased him with knowledge about his family and he made a truce with Jesse. Then they met again at monument valley, after which Jesse learned the complete truth about the Saint, and only then did he seek him out and tell him.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean in the sense that if we see him shoot Satan in the head, then we know those are the stakes. With that as a story beat right at the outset, the viewers will have a much easier time imagining that in order to top that for the climax he's going to have to kill God next. Whereas the way the comic played it it was almost a sideshow or a red herring, something you could ignore and the story could go any number of directions; but once you got to the end you realized how it had been set up as foreshadowing.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
So this is pretty much halfway into the first season and I'm probably gonna tap out. I have no idea what they're doing with Tulip/Cassisy, Jesse is kinda boring, and it just feels like they're burning time until the "real" story line begins.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Forceholy posted:

So this is pretty much halfway into the first season and I'm probably gonna tap out. I have no idea what they're doing with Tulip/Cassisy, Jesse is kinda boring, and it just feels like they're burning time until the "real" story line begins.

We'll see in a week, but I feel like the turn was this episode. Specifically, the 'That's not God inside you' line. I was expecting it to cut from that to a montage of everyone that Jesse's pushed freaking out in one way or another, but then they only did Quincannon so I'm hoping that episode 6 is the one is when poo poo really starts flying.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I'm sick of seeing animated weiners french kissing in every fucking GBS thread.

savinhill posted:

I wouldn't consider anything Cass has done so far on the show to be a heel turn. He doesn't know Tulip is Jesse's ex, or that Jesse is the fella Tulip is referring to when he's agreeing with her just to try and get in her pants. We also have Tulip being the one getting drugs and using Cass's weakness for em to get him under her thumb, so right there we already have one of their situations from the comics reversed, with Tulip coming out to be the scummier of the two and the manipulative user of people.

I think this was probably the worst possible change they could have made from the comics, completely destroyed any impact that hookup storyline could have had, and holy poo poo did they just decide Tulip was a whole new character when they adapted this show.

I've enjoyed it for what it is so far, but all that poo poo Seth Rogen talked about staying true to the comics is just completely laughable at this point, what with Tulip getting pissed Jesse won't go on a murder spree with her and getting mad that he's changed, etc.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jun 29, 2016

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

I think this was probably the worst possible change they could have made from the comics, completely destroyed any impact that hookup storyline could have had, and holy poo poo did they just decide Tulip was a whole new character when they adapted this show.

I've enjoyed it for what it is so far, but all that poo poo Seth Rogen talked about staying true to the comics is just completely laughable at this point, what with Tulip getting pissed Jesse won't go on a murder spree with her and getting mad that he's changed, etc.

I dunno, I figure they knew Cassidy would be the most popular character and turn into a huge fan favorite, especially after seeing how well Gilgun could portray him, and they figure it could be a huge turn off to the audience and possibly stop people from watching if they go as dark n scummy with him as they did in the comic, which I view as being a reasonable concern and a change I like, as I myself don't want to ever have to hate TV Cassidy, he's just that insanely good, charismatic and likeable as a character.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

savinhill posted:

I dunno, I figure they knew Cassidy would be the most popular character and turn into a huge fan favorite, especially after seeing how well Gilgun could portray him, and they figure it could be a huge turn off to the audience and possibly stop people from watching if they go as dark n scummy with him as they did in the comic, which I view as being a reasonable concern and a change I like, as I myself don't want to ever have to hate TV Cassidy, he's just that insanely good, charismatic and likeable as a character.

I'd prefer if a character that likeable went down that lovely, scummy path and then ended the series with his redemption than start off doing stuff that makes little sense in the story arc. Gilgun is a perfect Cassidy, and his characterization is one of the few that actually survived the transition, but the story arc is just killing any impact his overarching story arc had in the comics immediately; and his story arc was a big loving deal.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jun 29, 2016

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

seaborgium posted:

Are those little stove pipes foreshadowing something? The giant sinkhole full of manure, along with the pressure gauge that dude was checking this week and the pipe/vents coming out of the ground seems like it's leading up to something.

I think that's where the Saint of Killers is buried

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

JossiRossi posted:

If I had to guess, Quincannon has been pumping animal waste underground for decades. So they have all these pipes and pressure gauges to monitor the gases as they build up/are released. So, basically just as everything Jesse has done builds to a horrible clusterfuck crescendo, the town is going to explode.

The town is clearly already about to teeter over the edge with all the commands Jesse has been giving out, not thinking of the consequences.

Yeah, this definitely sounds like it is how the season finale is going to go. Jesse drives everyone in town insane through his constant use of the Word and then everything blows up, killing everyone and forcing the main group to go on the run.

As for the Tulip and Cassidy stuff, I think it's definitely working better than in comic where it just kind of came out of nowhere that Cassidy decides he's in love with Tulip after spending most of the series barely interacting with her.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

:drac: "How're yeh, Turnip? I've come to suck your bloody blood!"

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

muscles like this? posted:

Yeah, this definitely sounds like it is how the season finale is going to go. Jesse drives everyone in town insane through his constant use of the Word and then everything blows up, killing everyone and forcing the main group to go on the run.

As for the Tulip and Cassidy stuff, I think it's definitely working better than in comic where it just kind of came out of nowhere that Cassidy decides he's in love with Tulip after spending most of the series barely interacting with her.

He wasn't in love with Tulip. He was just taking advantage of her after Jesse is presumed dead from a Nuclear Blast involving the Grail against the Saint. If anything, this is just the same power play, but watered down and in reverse.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice

Forceholy posted:

He wasn't in love with Tulip. He was just taking advantage of her after Jesse is presumed dead from a Nuclear Blast involving the Grail against the Saint. If anything, this is just the same power play, but watered down and in reverse.

Before that he declares his "love" for Tulip twice and both times Tulip decides not to tell Jesse as it would kill him to have his new bestest made be that big of a heel behind his back.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

Mortanis posted:

Before that he declares his "love" for Tulip twice and both times Tulip decides not to tell Jesse as it would kill him to have his new bestest made be that big of a heel behind his back.

And none of that matters because they killed that storyline dead by having him gently caress her doggy in her car immediately.

After she spent a bunch of time trying to prove he's a murderer and convince him to go on a murder mission with her.

MrQwerty fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jun 29, 2016

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I need to rewatch the episode(maybe tonight) but I thought that Cassidy was kind of picking up on the thinly veiled attempt at Tulip not using Jesse's name in their conversation? I mean I guess not if he's banging her in the car, unless that's Cass' 180 degree turn from cool-bestest-mate-of-Jesse's to dirtbag-banging-his-love(?)-interest.

I'm agreeing with everybody else that all the buildup seems to be coming to a head, hope we keep getting more and more :kheldragar:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MrQwerty posted:

And none of that matters because they killed that storyline dead by having him gently caress her doggy in her car immediately.

After she spent a bunch of time trying to prove he's a murderer and convince him to go on a murder mission with her.

The stuff that happened the latest episode doesn't totally eliminate the possibility that the similar comic storyline will never happen on the show. It might actually just make it so that it isn't so one sided "Cassidy is obsessed and willing to do anything to be with Tulip for no good reason other than she's his best friend's girl and now his bf is finally out of the way" if they already share a history in which some similar poo poo went down between them.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Spuckuk posted:

I think that's where the Saint of Killers is buried

I was thinking it was how they were going to blow up the church like the comics, but that's possible too.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
AMC just renewed for a second, 13 episode season. :toot:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tortolia posted:

AMC just renewed for a second, 13 episode season. :toot:

I can't wait to see what the infamous AMC zero budget second season does for this show. Perhaps we'll spend it on the farm Jesse grew up on.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Forceholy posted:

So this is pretty much halfway into the first season and I'm probably gonna tap out. I have no idea what they're doing with Tulip/Cassidy...
I took it as Tulip thought about going after the guy who betrayed her and Jessie, but couldn't do it (knowing she'd be outgunned or too scared to try), so she's coercing Cassidy to go along with her. What's better revenge than stabbing someone in the face with a screwdriver? How about your pet vampire ripping his throat out?

But I have no idea.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Medullah posted:

I can't wait to see what the infamous AMC zero budget second season does for this show. Perhaps we'll spend it on the farm Jesse grew up on.

After the underground methane explodes, all of next season will take place in the crater. Cass comically has to constantly do laps in the crater to avoid the varying angles of the sun throughout the day.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NmareBfly posted:

We'll see in a week, but I feel like the turn was this episode. Specifically, the 'That's not God inside you' line. I was expecting it to cut from that to a montage of everyone that Jesse's pushed freaking out in one way or another, but then they only did Quincannon so I'm hoping that episode 6 is the one is when poo poo really starts flying.

His commands to "have patience" and "use your best judgement" seem to have some fairly obvious dark paths. The really worrying one is what the lady is going to do after being forced to forgive Eugene.

Johnny Truant posted:

I need to rewatch the episode(maybe tonight) but I thought that Cassidy was kind of picking up on the thinly veiled attempt at Tulip not using Jesse's name in their conversation? I mean I guess not if he's banging her in the car, unless that's Cass' 180 degree turn from cool-bestest-mate-of-Jesse's to dirtbag-banging-his-love(?)-interest.

I'm agreeing with everybody else that all the buildup seems to be coming to a head, hope we keep getting more and more :kheldragar:

Neither one knows the other has anything to do with Jesse. Other than the whore house they've never seen each other. The only scene they were both in before that was the one where Jesse decided not to quit and it showed both of them at the service.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I am just confused that I guess Jesse never described Tulip (the only hot black chick in town) to Cassidy, or Cassidy (Sickly Irish dude) to Tulip. And I really hate potential sources of drama that would have been solved with, "talked like a normal human being." Maybe they will make it work, but frankly that hookup felt super shoe horned in and weak.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

JossiRossi posted:

I am just confused that I guess Jesse never described Tulip (the only hot black chick in town) to Cassidy, or Cassidy (Sickly Irish dude) to Tulip.

Why would he have?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Just saw the warcraft movie, something was really loving with me for a few minutes until I realized what it was.

Preacher is the King and Tulip is the Queen. :stare:

Bizarre casting.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
They're also a couple in real life, so not that surprising.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

spookygonk posted:

I took it as Tulip thought about going after the guy who betrayed her and Jessie, but couldn't do it (knowing she'd be outgunned or too scared to try), so she's coercing Cassidy to go along with her. What's better revenge than stabbing someone in the face with a screwdriver? How about your pet vampire ripping his throat out?

But I have no idea.
With the way they've played most male-female power relationships, I wouldn't be surprised at the bolded bit. Like, take Donnie and his wife. They start by implying that he's abusing her, but she actually likes it. Then they show her being the balls of the family (if only temporarily). Similar to the two milquetoast side-characters I can't name right now (church-assistant and mayor). The first time you see them is when he's being incredibly creepy about carrying her printer, except...eh, she has been banging the dude.

It would be perfectly in line with that to show Tulip as somehow weak and needing Jesse. Yes, she's shot motherfuckers and built bazookas out of coffee cans, but, uh...what exactly do you need this dude for again?

Have they mentioned why she wants Jesse on this, other than that Carlos hosed him over too? I could've missed it.

Zaphod42 posted:

Preacher is the King and Tulip is the Queen. :stare:
Them two's is fuckin'. It ain't really bizarre.

AtraMorS fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 30, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

They're also a couple in real life, so not that surprising.

Ah that explains it. I figured one of them got cast and then said "hey, I already have stage chemistry with this other person, you should cast them" but that makes even more sense.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Medullah posted:

Why do people keep bringing this up like it's a huge surprise, or even a scandal? Just about every show on every network has their budgets significantly reduced in the second season, it's the way television works.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Why do people keep bringing this up like it's a huge surprise, or even a scandal? Just about every show on every network has their budgets significantly reduced in the second season, it's the way television works.

Because it kills shows.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Because by all rights this is a show that SHOULD be able to be done with minimal budget and minimal special effects. They SHOULD be able to get by on the story alone...

Should...

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
You guys realize that shows get reduced budgets in the second season because most of the expenses of the first season go to non-recurring costs like building sets, making it unnecessary and wasteful to set aside that much money, right?

You also realize that Preacher is coming back for 13 episodes next year in a world where most cable shows have to do with 8 or 10? And that while reduced episode orders aren't necessarily a bad thing, expanded orders foretell a significantly increased investment in the show in question?

Just checking.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, of yesterday's renewals the one to be worried about for long term show viability is 12 Monkeys (with the reduced order), not Preacher.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

DivisionPost posted:

You also realize that Preacher is coming back for 13 episodes next year in a world where most cable shows have to do with 8 or 10?

Really? I don't watch a bunch of cable but every show I can think of has increased episodes, and then they do the shite "mid season break" for a few months.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Johnny Truant posted:

Really? I don't watch a bunch of cable but every show I can think of has increased episodes, and then they do the shite "mid season break" for a few months.

If they were ordered for 16-20 episodes, then yeah, that would be signify an attempt to break it up into two mini-seasons. 8 episodes means two months worth of shows, which is juuuuust enough time to find a groove, tell some story, and get out for the next few months. If you were going to split 13 episodes, it would be 6 and 7, which isn't really enough time to establish a presence on either end.

And while I agree that season-splitting can be obnoxious, from the network side, it either looks like "We want this show to be in the conversation for two quarters of our financial year instead of just one," or, "This show is so loving successful the talent has to be compensated with more money, so we have to cheese the contracts a little to pay them." So that would've been even better news for the show, despite being frustrating news for us.

BooDoug187
Apr 8, 2005

Don't you fear the yetis in Rio?

Medullah posted:

Well... Jesse did have a lot of hosed up things happen to him and his family when they lived on his grandma's farm...

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

BooDoug187 posted:

Well... Jesse did have a lot of hosed up things happen to him and his family when they lived on his grandma's farm...

Nah in this version his grandma was the only woman who actually took care of him. She's currently being taken care of by Jesse's kindly male role model Jody, and his life partner T.C. who runs an animal shelter. In keeping with the spirit of the comic and all.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Is that from this universe?

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

DivisionPost posted:

If they were ordered for 16-20 episodes, then yeah, that would be signify an attempt to break it up into two mini-seasons. 8 episodes means two months worth of shows, which is juuuuust enough time to find a groove, tell some story, and get out for the next few months. If you were going to split 13 episodes, it would be 6 and 7, which isn't really enough time to establish a presence on either end.

And while I agree that season-splitting can be obnoxious, from the network side, it either looks like "We want this show to be in the conversation for two quarters of our financial year instead of just one," or, "This show is so loving successful the talent has to be compensated with more money, so we have to cheese the contracts a little to pay them." So that would've been even better news for the show, despite being frustrating news for us.

Note that 'Fear the Walking Dead''s second season has been split up into 2 halves, with a 3 month break between them - yet its only 15 episodes long. So the networks are not only willing to split up a series with almost similar amount of episodes they are also willing to completely gently caress it over in terms of running them near each other, so don't make any assumptions there won't be a break next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

Is that from this universe?
That's the first Preacher thing I ever saw. :allears:

... I'm not saying it's better than the real thing, but in retrospect, it does hint at much greater things than Preacher actually delivered.

• Locked thread